Indie Browser MMO City of Steam

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • CoS_Ethan 1 Jun 2012 12:09:31 54 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Hey everyone, I'm Ethan and I work for a small games developer. We are now developing our debut title,a browser-based steampunk-themed MMO under the name City of Steam. Back in March, we got a chance to show it off at GDC San Francisco. After a great reception, we really want to get the word out before more tests come out.

If you've heard of City of Steam and been keeping an eye on it since the game went public, be sure to sign up for our newsletter and have an eye on our dev journals up-to-date game development.

To those that don't know what City of Steam is (no surprise for this, we're an indie developer, so getting widespread recognition is relatively harder for us). It's a browser-based MMORPG featuring a mix of industrial fantasy and steampunk elements.With the help of powerful Unity 3D (and loads of other in-house tools), we've managed to make the game very accessible and lightweight (the whole thing is packed into mere megabytes of space), without sacrificing graphics or content too much. Here's a quick look on the world City of Steam is based off:

For a better picture of the game, check our latest Closed Beta Trailer, a lot has changed and improved since then, but it can still give a good idea for what we plan to make of our game:

http://youtu.be/ynmn3DjIDqA

Edit:

Hey guys,we've opened gates of Nexus again, Beta is now launched and ready to play. Visit the link below if you don't have an account yet and start your journey in just minutes!
    http://cos.r2games.com/signup

Thanks to your continuous support of our game, City of Steam has finally been approved on Valve's Greenlight approval system. We are thankful for everyone who voted for us and who spread the word! If you want to know more, you can find the full announcement here: http://cos.r2games.com/news/view/?id=1731

Also, we wrote up a dev journal (though delayed!), along with a video, about the showcase of City of Steam at PAX East and GDC 2013. The video itself is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhX8U14XarI

We maybe small and still has a long way to go before City of Steam is widely recognized, but we're pretty receptive to player input and endeavor to openly discuss the development of the game. Feel free to drop me a line if you have any thoughts to share with us!:)

Edited by CoS_Ethan at 08:11:35 20-05-2013
  • DFawkes 1 Jun 2012 12:38:23 23,047 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think that looks pretty good, though I'm a big fan of that Unity engine and what people have been able to do with it so far. That world map is pretty cool too. I'll certainly keep an eye out to see how this turns out :)

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• CoS_Ethan 1 Jun 2012 13:56:53 54 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    I think that looks pretty good, though I'm a big fan of that Unity engine and what people have been able to do with it so far. That world map is pretty cool too. I'll certainly keep an eye out to see how this turns out :)
    Cool, thanks. Now we are steering the development quite smoothly and trying to create an impressive alpha testing for people. We still have many big updates enroute, please stay tuned and help us test the game in July.
  • Benno 1 Jun 2012 13:58:17 9,933 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Looks pretty good actually :)
  • CoS_Ethan 1 Jun 2012 15:26:24 54 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Benno wrote:
    Looks pretty good actually :)
    Thanks for the post. Feel free to tell us your thoughts if you have any.:)
  • CoS_Ethan 5 Jun 2012 03:48:05 54 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    New Website up and running. Steamy!:)

Edited by CoS_Ethan at 03:49:19 05-06-2012
  • Tonka 5 Jun 2012 07:43:57 20,568 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @CoS_Ethan
    Have you thought about letting people sign in using their twitter or Facebook account?

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• CoS_Ethan 6 Jun 2012 06:52:43 54 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Tonka Currently you can use your Facebook account to sign in, here is a screenshot for Facebook login icon. We don't plan to release Twitter sing-in functionality for now.
  • CoS_Ethan 11 Jun 2012 07:42:32 54 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Post deleted
  • CoS_Ethan 11 Jun 2012 08:27:06 54 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Be sure to check out the newly released City of Steam Merchandise and feel free to tell us your thoughts.
  • CoS_Ethan 24 Jun 2012 16:23:10 54 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Showcasing the big Goblin families and seclusive Draug in our latest Content Dev Journals. Take a quick look:

• CoS_Ethan 5 Jul 2012 09:14:36 54 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Alpha test dates settled, be sure to join in the 3-weeeknd test starting on July 20th. Check out our newly created gameplay trailer for a peek into the Alpha.
  • DFawkes 5 Jul 2012 11:24:02 23,047 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'd love to see this alpha, but the login system for the website plain doesn't work, and the captcha images are some of the worst I've ever used. Of course I have no doubt that an e-mail to support would address this, but I think I'll wait until it's actually out as I suspect it has something to do with that anyway.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• CoS_Ethan 6 Jul 2012 07:12:05 54 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    I'd love to see this alpha, but the login system for the website plain doesn't work, and the captcha images are some of the worst I've ever used. Of course I have no doubt that an e-mail to support would address this, but I think I'll wait until it's actually out as I suspect it has something to do with that anyway.
    Yeah, the Captcha is hard to see and we could use better ones. Referring login problem, could you send details to our support email here: support@cityofsteam.com? Thanks!
  • CoS_Ethan 16 Jul 2012 08:32:04 54 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    We feel thrilled to post an Collaborator Pack to all, if you'd like to support the development of City of Steam but don't know how, now's your chance. A quick peek into the pack items:
  • CoS_Ethan 21 Jul 2012 10:10:35 54 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Hey guys, we already opened the server and alpha is underway! If you've received a key, be sure to join in the test and give us feedback; if you haven't, then try to snatch one from our partner sites, maybe they still have some keys.
  • DFawkes 21 Jul 2012 11:55:11 23,047 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Not sure what you guys did, but my account it working fine now, so thanks :)

I don't have key and don't want to sign up to another site just to get one, so won't be joining you. I do hope it's successful though, it certainly seems like you'll have a good few testers on. Just a shame you didn't offer EG any (they even already have a key distribution system in place) but it can't be helped.

• CoS_Ethan 25 Jul 2012 08:36:09 54 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @DFawkes Actually, we will do a joint key giveaway with EG for the second alpha weekend starting this Friday. :)
  • CoS_Ethan 3 Aug 2012 09:38:21 54 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Hello all, we've just wrapped up a grand Elven Elite weekend and are expecting to start off the third Alpha Weekend with the addition of announcement on our website. Did I mention goblins? Goblins.
  • DFawkes 3 Aug 2012 12:52:45 23,047 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, but does it have Goblins?

Also thanks for the keys on EG, got one :)

• Gamercrazy 4 Aug 2012 19:59:45 1 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I've been hearing quite alot of good things about this game. I will have to check it out. It looks great btw guys! Browser MMO's are really stepping up to the gaming scene! I'm not sure if the game is available on MMO-Play.com (Where i find and download my games), but I'll be looking for it! It looks like great fun!

Edited by Gamercrazy at 20:05:18 04-08-2012
  • CoS_Ethan 8 Aug 2012 08:51:45 54 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @DFawkes Yeah, I guess you already saw a mass of Goblins at last weekend. :)
  • CoS_Ethan 8 Aug 2012 08:53:19 54 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Gamercrazy Yep, MMO-Play.com is one of our key delivery partners.
  • CoS_Ethan 17 Aug 2012 10:09:28 54 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Gear up everyone! The final Alpha weekend for City of Steam will be open in just a matter of hours. If you missed out on a chance to play the game in our previous three weekends, check out our partner sites to get a key. If you've received a key already, activate it. If already activated too, well, all that's left is waiting... Alpha starts soon!!
  • CoS_Ethan 22 Aug 2012 11:55:12 54 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    After a terrific weekend, City of Steamís 4th and final Alpha test has officially come to a close. Our thanks go out to all players who flooded in The Refuge last week; without your support, we couldn't have tested the game out as thoroughly. Also, we've piled up tons of player input since the test started, and will be looking into them shortly. Be sure to keep an eye on our website and dev journals to keep up-to-date with Beta news and development!!
  • pinebear 22 Aug 2012 12:41:02 8,565 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hey Ethan, saw the Total Biscuit WTF for City of Steam, it looks very nice.

• CoS_Ethan 30 Aug 2012 11:47:21 54 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    pinebear wrote:
    Hey Ethan, saw the Total Biscuit WTF for City of Steam, it looks very nice.
    Hey, thanks for keeping an eye on our game, we are getting all our hands full as Beta is already on the schedule, so more Beta updates will be available soon, be sure to stick around and stay connected.
  • CoS_Ethan 6 Sep 2012 04:33:45 54 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    We've got a new Dev Journal up! Coding just released their to-do list for Beta (including some pretty awesome stuff); if interested, be sure to have a look! Oh, and stick around, there are more development updates just around the corner.
  • CoS_Ethan 10 Sep 2012 12:02:55 54 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    We just put up some new dev journals, here's your chance to get a closer look at some cool Ratling animations in Unity, backstories of the charming but manipulative Rivens and a wrapup for all available classes in City of Steam now.

Edited by CoS_Ethan at 08:49:05 20-09-2012
  • CoS_Ethan 23 Sep 2012 16:08:30 54 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Last chance for supporting City of Steam guys! The closing date of all Alpha Supporter Packs is pretty close now; to those who've been keeping track of City of Steam, don't miss the chance of being an honorable supporter for this game while receiving some amazing CoS swag at the same time!

Edited by CoS_Ethan at 06:50:01 24-09-2012
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous