DEFIANCE: TV Sci-fi Meets MMO Page 2

  • Page

    of 5 First / Last

  • DFawkes 11 Feb 2013 11:51:28 22,592 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This is going to get confusing in April when both the show and the game are out, with us discussing both. Heck, even the official Defiance forums are confusing! Maybe someone will do an organise games/discussion thread for the game later on.

    The NDA is a bit of a pain given how many people are playing. I will say that I'm definitely going to pre-order the Ultimate Edition at the earliest opportunity as my "friend" loves it. He played a lot of the story stuff and a whole bunch of Arkfalls and it all came together quite nicely when all the playes in the vicinity flock to take down massive bosses :) Certainly more of a shooter than an MMO, but it always was going to be.

    I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

  • Whizzo 11 Feb 2013 12:01:33 43,033 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Any good pricing on the ultimate that your "friend" has seen, seems a bit rich for my "friend" to buy.

    This space left intentionally blank.

  • DFawkes 11 Feb 2013 12:29:56 22,592 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Amazon had it at a good price for a while, but I was too late as I was holding off for Gamestop because I prefer their retailer exclusive weapon. I think both will be at the same price, unfortunately, but given the Ultimate is just an extra bag, some of the micro-transaction currency and a DLC pass it might end up more financially responsible to see if the Collector's Edition goes cheaper.

    I'm not financially responsible though, and I want that extra bag that's probably cheap tat :p

    I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

  • DFawkes 26 Mar 2013 22:05:29 22,592 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    For those that are interested in the TV show, you can see the first 14 minutes online now. One I watched is on good ol' YouTube - not the best quality but watchable enough.

    I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

  • DFawkes 16 Apr 2013 17:49:08 22,592 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This is tonight on SyFy at 9, for those that care. I watched it already because of impatience. I love it. I'll say no more as it's a bit early for spoilers yet!

    I didn't even know about it until Bob started this thread all those months ago, so we've had plenty of time to get hyped up (though the game doing well in the charts did surprise me).

    Lots of extra making-of snippets on the official YoutTube Channel that are mostly light on spoilers.

    I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

  • BinaryBob101 16 Apr 2013 19:19:34 22,292 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Post deleted

    Beautiful tender beings.

  • BinaryBob101 16 Apr 2013 19:19:34 22,292 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    This is not being received well at all. Poor man's Firefly fan-fiction was how one guy described it. I will watch tonight, but I'm dialling down expectations to zero.

    I hope you enjoy it though, Fawkesy!

    Beautiful tender beings.

  • DFawkes 16 Apr 2013 19:28:05 22,592 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    As I say, I've seen the first one so I know it's good :)

    There are a few issues though. Nothing that'd spoil it as such, but I'll tag what I think just in case.

    It's generally quite good. The sets are great, the performances of all the actors are pretty good, and the writing is excellent.

    However, there are a few really average characters. Well performed, but nothing you've not seen before. Probably a bit over-reliant on that kind of thing, which is the potentially the biggest flaw if they don't branch out and do something more original.

    That said, I do love a good sarky Doctor character, hope she's left as is :)

    Certainly not a bad show by any stretch, but I can understand people feeling it's deeply average and unoriginal because there is little sci-fi fans won't have seen before. If it embraces the things that make it unique, it should get better.

    I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

  • M83J01P97 16 Apr 2013 19:30:47 6,542 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I imagine a large majority of the shows potential audience were too pre-occupied to watch this last night as well, so the early lukewarm response might not be anything to read too much into.
  • myk 16 Apr 2013 23:32:06 548 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thought it was pretty good, some dodgy CG but that's to be expected when it's trying to be ambitious. Bearing in mind the first episode is all about setting stuff up, it did it's job.
  • RedSparrows 16 Apr 2013 23:56:43 22,030 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I didn't think Firefly was all that amazing incredible wooyeah (I don't care how wry someone is, get over it, Whedon), so I doubt I'll think much of this.
  • ZuluHero 17 Apr 2013 00:42:22 4,020 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I really enjoyed that. Well paced, no boring bits, likeable characters. CG was a bit ropey, but no worse than other shows like, sg1,battlestar, star trek, firefly et all.

    I'm gonna stick with it..nice to have as decent SciFi show back on thge air!
  • Madder-Max 17 Apr 2013 07:12:20 11,618 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tivod it so wath it tonight. Anyone else see the premier of the red faction movie on syfy. Was on before it? Tivod that n all. Saw the first 10 mins and it looks alright. Fairly low budget but its got the liquid terminator from t2 in it!

    99 problems and being ginger is one

  • Darren 17 Apr 2013 08:09:02 8,698 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I watched about an hour of the Defiance pilot before switching over to watch The Following.

    I didn't think much to what I saw though and ended up picking up my iPad 4 after about 30 minutes because I was starting to get bored which is never a good sign. It was the pilot after all, designed to grab the viewers and, unfortunately, for me it just didn't do that. I had the same problem with Falling Skies too, a series I just stopped watching after four episodes. I did record it though so I may watch the rest at some point before I delete it from my Sky HD box.

    I guess there is nothing especially wrong with Defiance but it just doesn't have that hook that made me want to watch it. The series may be more enjoyable if you're also playing the game (which I'm not as MMORPGs don't appeal to me these days either).

    PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 3 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

  • Whizzo 17 Apr 2013 09:07:08 43,033 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I rather enjoyed it, the CGI isn't the best but this is a Siffy programme after all but it was a pretty good introduction to the show. Presumably we'll get more flashbacks as it's very sketchy about what happened when the Voltans showed up.

    I liked The Ink Spots popping up at the end, perhaps the writers are Fallout fans?

    This space left intentionally blank.

  • President_Weasel 17 Apr 2013 09:52:51 8,953 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Good god, if you're still watching The Following, and chose to switch over to watch it instead of something else, the something else must be pants.
  • Mr-Brett 17 Apr 2013 10:01:33 12,723 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Darren wrote:
    The series may be more enjoyable if you're also playing the game (which I'm not as MMORPGs don't appeal to me these days either).
    I believe it's more of a shooter than an RPG but I haven't played it yet.

    Regarding the show, I've seen worse but that's not saying much. It has an ok premise but the 'aliens that look just like humans with something slightly different' thing a major no-no for me, I'd rather they found a way to have aliens that actually look, you know, alien or just don't bother. This struck me as somewhere in the Revolution/Terra Nova/Outcasts area - kinda watchable if you have a soft spot for that sort of thing but otherwise rather poor.

    Portable view - Never forget.

  • ZuluHero 17 Apr 2013 10:29:04 4,020 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Like Klingons? Oh.
  • SClaw 17 Apr 2013 11:20:33 826 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Not to mention there is a strong scientific argument to say that most aliens would be more or less human shaped… because it’s a super-efficient shape. No matter what planet you come from, additional legs and arms probably aren’t going to be better than two of each (and evolution is pretty damn good at junking bits you don’t need).

    I’ll also point out that they came to earth in this series because they wanted to live there. If they were rock blob people of lava world, they probably wouldn’t want to go to a planet which isn’t exactly suitable for their biology would they?

    But it’s a silly point anyway. You would find it hard to relate to a giant blue cube with a smiley face drawn on it which only talks in screaming baby noises, so funnily enough they don’t tend to make aliens like that for these series.
  • shamblemonkee 17 Apr 2013 11:45:24 14,261 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    on a planet where 3/4 of it is water? Battle LA at least had that idea in its favour :)
  • DFawkes 17 Apr 2013 11:48:39 22,592 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    SClaw wrote:
    You would find it hard to relate to a giant blue cube with a smiley face drawn on it which only talks in screaming baby noises, so funnily enough they don’t tend to make aliens like that for these series.
    And now I want to watch this show. Get to it, SClaw!

    I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

  • Mr-Brett 17 Apr 2013 11:55:02 12,723 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ZuluHero wrote:
    Like Klingons? Oh.
    Is that meant to be a compelling argument? If Star Trek did it then it's fine? because there's a fuck ton of aweful aliens in Star Trek.

    SClaw wrote:
    Not to mention there is a strong scientific argument to say that most aliens would be more or less human shaped… because it’s a super-efficient shape. No matter what planet you come from, additional legs and arms probably aren’t going to be better than two of each (and evolution is pretty damn good at junking bits you don’t need).

    I’ll also point out that they came to earth in this series because they wanted to live there. If they were rock blob people of lava world, they probably wouldn’t want to go to a planet which isn’t exactly suitable for their biology would they?

    But it’s a silly point anyway. You would find it hard to relate to a giant blue cube with a smiley face drawn on it which only talks in screaming baby noises, so funnily enough they don’t tend to make aliens like that for these series.
    I understand that it's not inconceivable that aliens would resemble the human shape but being identical apart from having a wider nose bridge with a slight indent and some symbol? or those other guys that are just pale and have different eyes? come on.

    I wasn't suggesting giant blue cubes either. As I said if it can't be done well then might as well not bother, neither what the show has or blue cubes would be doing it well.

    Portable view - Never forget.

  • SClaw 17 Apr 2013 12:07:11 826 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Suspension of belief is required to enjoy most fiction.

    If you want an “alien” then chances are they can’t breathe our air, our gravity will crush them in a second or their muscles will immediately wither away because it’s too light. Too much radiation or not enough, by even a tiny amount, could cripple them with cancer and lets not even get started on the light – they probably see in a completely different spectrum.

    As I said with the sarcastic blue cube (Nigel), such a creature would be utterly unfathomable to us in reality. We would neither be able to conduct a dialogue with them (let’s say they “see” sound, for example, which is not that farfetched, how are going to describe absolute anything to them?) or even fight them… because they’d need such terrifically complex life support system to exist on our planet we’d just need to poke holes in it to instantly murder them.

    Sure, you could solve all those issues with “superior technology” but are you really willing to suspend your disbelief for science-magic and not for “basically human but with a big nose”?
  • ZuluHero 17 Apr 2013 12:15:04 4,020 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    its a viewer thing too, people find it hard to empathise with a blue cube.

    Not to mention the fact that the aliens in these shows are human actors pretending to be aliens. It's hard to make a human, look radically alien, we have a pretty distinctive shape. Sometimes CG is used, but this is expensive and as a result is done quickly and cheaply, and only if really required, which brings with it it's own criticisms.

    And unfortunately for you Mr-Brett, your single viewing figure isn't justifiable enough for show producers to spend more on making the aliens more, well, alien :)

    Edited by ZuluHero at 12:17:36 17-04-2013
  • Retroid Moderator 17 Apr 2013 12:22:27 44,503 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Watched the pilot last night, decent enough storyline and fck knows it's better than bloody Revolution.

    Bit of a problem with the 'funky wigs & body paint' approach to most of the aliens, though.
  • teamHAM 17 Apr 2013 12:44:40 2,751 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    To be fair I thought it was quite good. Yes it doesn't do anything new for the genre but after a slow start I was intrigued for some reason.

    It's certainly better than that crock of shit Revolution which my missus seems obsessed with atm.

    XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

  • ZuluHero 17 Apr 2013 12:47:22 4,020 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I couldn't even get through an episode of Revolution.
  • Mr-Brett 17 Apr 2013 12:47:55 12,723 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    SEE ZULU, THAT'S TWO VIEWERS NOW! ;)

    Ok guys, I do get it. They obviously have to be played by people and convincing costumes or CGI is expensive. Which is why I think they might as well not bother if they can't afford it, or find a way to write around it and have aliens that you pretty much never see.

    @SClaw, I don't know why you're going on about all the possibilities of what real aliens might be like, that's not the point I was making, more that to look actually alien and allow suspension of disbelief they should really look more alien than someone who just made a mess with some finger paints :)

    Portable view - Never forget.

  • Mr-Brett 17 Apr 2013 12:49:05 12,723 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fair point about Revolution, that was an unfair comparison, this isn't that cheesy and schmaltzy.

    Edited by Mr-Brett at 12:49:19 17-04-2013

    Portable view - Never forget.

  • ZuluHero 17 Apr 2013 12:50:00 4,020 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    SEE ZULU, THAT'S TWO VIEWERS NOW! ;)
    Heh :)

    I do see your point though and tbh it does grate on me too if they go too far with outlandish prosthetics.

    Edited by ZuluHero at 12:51:00 17-04-2013
  • Page

    of 5 First / Last

Log in or register to reply