The Cave - Ron Gilbert, Double Fine and Sega Page 4

• Page

of 5 First / Last

• TarickStonefire 25 Jan 2013 07:21:35 2,897 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I really regret blowing a tenner on this sight unseen, it's really not that amazing. For one thing it has pretty high demands or else it ... run... s... so... slo... wly... the lag is unbelievable, almost unplayable. But then I'm on a 2010 MBP so that's my fault really, I need to try it on my new iMac I suppose.

(insert 'Mac gaming lol' comment here!)

But already I'm getting pissed off dragging my ass across just one area to pick up items I need that got dropped elsewhere because of the lack of inventory, so how it's going to feel when I've got to traverse several areas for the same thing, god knows. Also not sure I'll have the slightest desire to play it all a third time just for one last character.

I remember reading Schafer making a comment about 'how do we do an adventure game without an inventory?' in previews for the game, and the answer is evidently "by annoying the utter shit out of your players by making them haul their ass across the map all the livelong day because everyone can only hold one bloody item at a time". Not a great solution, we can all spot padding when we see it.

I think EDGE's review is spot on.

Edited by TarickStonefire at 07:28:27 25-01-2013

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• TarickStonefire 25 Jan 2013 07:24:20 2,897 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Just had a look around, seems a lot of the main review sites are scoring it about 6/10 or equivalent. I'd agree with that, though depending on your point of view you might give or take a point or two.

I'll play through it once if it runs at a decent speed on my 2012 mac, but the controls on a computer are not great. The key bindings appear to have been made by someone with a half their keys missing. It really needs a console controller - could i plug my 360 controller in and use Tattiebogle driver, anyone?

Edited by TarickStonefire at 07:30:55 25-01-2013

• Deleted user 25 January 2013 07:29:41
    Use a controller then? Surely you've got a PS3 or XBOX controller?

Edited by CrispyXUK at 07:30:32 25-01-2013
  • TarickStonefire 25 Jan 2013 07:31:49 2,897 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @CrispyXUK Yeah it's a bit early, that just occurred to me! I use one for The Witcher 2 but wasn't sure if support was included in The Cave. I think it would remove one of the major barriers for enjoyment if it is.

• aeschylus 25 Jan 2013 07:55:42 446 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @TarickStonefire

I agree with your frustrations, but push past it and you will enjoy it, I find that if there is a new object bring in one of your other characters to hold it.....
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 25 Jan 2013 09:09:30 532 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mikeck wrote:
    @One_Vurfed_Gwrx That's strange, it definitely should have been released in SK.
    Nope, only thing related to it that is findable is the trailer by searching for Doublefine developed games and clicking on that gets a "not available in your region" message. It is probably to do with it being Sega published as I guessed earlier as they seem to be the wrost publisher for me on Steam (in this regard)
  • mikeck 25 Jan 2013 10:56:23 1,902 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    neilka wrote:
    I think there's going to be a lot of people upset about one particular puzzle in the time traveller's area - to move the boulder in the past you have to hold down the push/pull button and switch characters at the same time. I've just wasted an hour on this, knowing what the solution was but not how to do it!
    This annoyed the tits out of me too - bad design on that part!

Shame, as the Time Traveller specific stage is the best one on the game.
  • CaptainKid 25 Jan 2013 12:11:43 137 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @TarickStonefire
    Oh crap. I'm not even that far in the game to juggle with several different items.. So the traversing back and forth get's even worse!?
  • aeschylus 25 Jan 2013 14:15:36 446 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    One of the developer is in the Neo-Gaff thread [link url=Here[/link] if you want to ask anything specific
  • TarickStonefire 25 Jan 2013 14:44:44 2,897 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @CaptainKid I don't know to be honest, but I'm still in the 'Employee Area' trying to work out how to beat the Crystal Monster and already I'm frustrated with traipsing back to pick up an item to see if *that* does anything...

I think playing it on a computer fast enough to not present a slideshow whenever I move, plus trying a controller (it that's supported) will alleviate most of my frustrations the lack of inventory presents.

• neilka 25 Jan 2013 14:46:33 15,631 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There was a patch today that might have helped.
    http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/8427/P50/#258572
  • CaptainKid 25 Jan 2013 15:04:36 137 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    @CaptainKid I don't know to be honest, but I'm still in the 'Employee Area' trying to work out how to beat the Crystal Monster and already I'm frustrated with traipsing back to pick up an item to see if *that* does anything...

I think playing it on a computer fast enough to not present a slideshow whenever I move, plus trying a controller (it that's supported) will alleviate most of my frustrations the lack of inventory presents.
    Don't worry, it get's worse.
    That area is not really a maze, it's pretty straight forward.
    Later on you don't know which way to go to get to an area (to get an item and stuff)even if you've been there before.
    I now use the switch "to other character feature" to try see the lay out of the cave, it really does need a zoom out function or map. (or free roaming camera)

I have a fairly old PC, AMD X2 240, Geforce 9600 GT, and can run the game on max settings without any issues.

I also do not really have issues using the keyboard to jump. Although the only way to jump less far is walking first and then press jump.. Bit weird. Even when you jump straight UP and then press a direction you jump very far.

Edited by CaptainKid at 15:06:50 25-01-2013

Edited by CaptainKid at 15:08:26 25-01-2013

Edited by CaptainKid at 15:19:18 25-01-2013
  • Garfy 25 Jan 2013 22:48:52 670 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fuck the Monk.

Trying to slow carry the lotus blossoms is completely immpossible with mouse and keys.
  • barchetta 25 Jan 2013 23:45:35 1,315 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm almost to the end of the Monk but I'm almost certain I've hit a game breaking bug....
  • barchetta 26 Jan 2013 01:14:20 1,315 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well, wasn't a bug but it was bloody annoying when it clicked!
  • andytheadequate 26 Jan 2013 02:30:38 8,075 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    So, does anyone actually like this game...? All of the reactions so far seem to be pretty negative
  • MetalDog 26 Jan 2013 06:50:12 23,708 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm still enjoying it. It's not without it's problems (inventory in particular), but it's a nice little game and only cost a tenner. I'm not as far in as some of these people, so maybe I'll change my mind later, but remarks all seems a bit harsh to me.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• barchetta 26 Jan 2013 10:58:57 1,315 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It certainly is an odd one... for as many occasions that I find myself laughing and appreciating the humour, there are an equal number of hand-gnawingly frustrating design decisions.

Go in expecting a lot of backtracking and some situations where you know what to do and how to do but getting it done feels like a job, and you'll get more out. More attention on making the payoffs more memorable when the puzzles are solved would have helped too.

It does look very nice and has had some love... But it won't get the love of a Monkey Island.

Edited by barchetta at 11:00:31 26-01-2013
  • TarickStonefire 26 Jan 2013 15:53:33 2,897 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I just can't work out what the hell to do with that Crystal Monster. This morning I had the 'brainwave' of using the hotdog on the obvious pointy stick and thought AH-HA! But that still doesn't actually progress me.

Gah.

• TarickStonefire 26 Jan 2013 15:54:41 2,897 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @andytheadequate It has a ridiculous amount of charm which doesn't really make up for the merely 'adequate' (badumtsh) gameplay, but manages to keep me going.

• barchetta 26 Jan 2013 15:56:43 1,315 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @TarickStonefire : You are on the right track - you need to think about what is above the spike....
  • TarickStonefire 27 Jan 2013 11:01:51 2,897 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @barchetta To be honest, I've uninstalled, just the idea of the traipsing back and forward getting worse was enough really. Shame, it *looks* great, never mind!

• RyanDS 27 Jan 2013 11:59:20 9,053 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    So, does anyone actually like this game...? All of the reactions so far seem to be pretty negative
    Got it yesterday... And no I don't
  • TarickStonefire 27 Jan 2013 12:32:38 2,897 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Just noticed it's 22% off if you buy from GetGames but I don't know if that snags you the Mac version as well as I've never used them. Thought it was only on Steam, actually.

• Deleted user 27 January 2013 17:14:15
    Okay first puzzle. Grab the monster with the claw, I get that. But how? I got knight, twins, time traveller. Good sign I'm stuck after three minutes.
  • Deleted user 27 January 2013 17:17:59
    feed it
  • RyanDS 27 Jan 2013 17:26:32 9,053 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    feed it
    And if your timing is wrong then you have to trek back fucking ages to redo it. It really is a mixture of good stuff (puzzles are quite fun and logical in a twisted way) and shit (actually doing the fucking puzzles and the backtracking.)
  • Deleted user 27 January 2013 17:28:26
    First world problems.
  • RyanDS 27 Jan 2013 17:33:43 9,053 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    First world problems.
    Isn't any complaint that is even remotely on topic on this site pretty much a first world problem by definition?

If you want I can say the game is perfect and lie?
  • chub 27 Jan 2013 17:36:35 447 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Pepsipop I have the same problem.

Feed it with what? Maybe I missed something.
  • Page

of 5 First / Last