Android App Developers thread

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • The_Iron_Man666 23 May 2012 21:06:42 85 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Hey there Puny Mortals

Me: *Whispering Do I really need to write something in this box? The title IS self-explanatory!
    [Anonymous figure]: Yes you do, write or no post
    Me: Alright, geez, (You old son of a...)

Anyways this thread is for android app developers to talk about their creations, new and old and about projects and development. Post as you will, but don't make the same mistakes that I make and go off topic (e.g. Ranting about dumbass Bond product placement) and post at your own will... NOW!

[Insert generic forum signature here]

• Deleted user 23 May 2012 21:19:11
    Androidlol
  • DFawkes 23 May 2012 21:29:36 22,956 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Why did you create a thread without having anything to say yourself? Seems a bit pointless. In the interest of furthering discussion, I'll ask this - have you got any applications on the Google Play store Iron_Man? If not, any future plans?

I did try but I need a new PC - I have one that is adequately powerful apart from no hard drive space, and a glorified calculator with tons of space. I do like messing about with the SDK though so will do something someday.

Edited by DFawkes at 21:30:31 23-05-2012

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• mrpon 23 May 2012 21:36:07 28,907 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Androidlol
    Perhaps the nice developer man can write you an app to stop you dropping the phone.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• The_Iron_Man666 24 May 2012 00:36:54 85 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Believe it or not. I do have plans but I need a new rig, badly... My app will be a turn-based game using Bump functionality (if possible) and I won't spill anymore deets until I get somewhere further in the development cycle. My plan for it's success:

- Start a gaming/stop motion based youtube channel
    - Get the channel popular
    - At the right time, announce the game to my audience, it'll be hard but it might just work

• The_Iron_Man666 24 May 2012 00:37:36 85 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I have also got more ideas which might work

• superflyninja 15 Jun 2012 16:14:33 462 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ive a children's pairs matching android game nearing release......

Put away those firey biscuits

• AcidSnake 5 Jul 2012 11:00:11 7,268 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    OK, so I'll try to bring this thread back on topic...

I've got an app to make and I'm struggling with some things (starting Android coding last week basically) so I'd like to ask the EG hivemind for some help...

Basically what I need is a small bar centered along the bottom of the screen that expands when clicked (not dragged) to occupy almost half of the screen...I've got the animation working smoothly and all the elements withing the view expand correctly but the view itself has not moved (so although its content are now higher they aren't really there, buttons are no longer clickable in the new position for instance)...
    It's located in a relativelayout and I've tried adding an animationlistener to change the margins when the animation's finished but if I change anything it just gets added to the animation...

Anyone have an idea of how to just move a viewgroup from one position to another giving it a smooth animation in the process?

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• TVoJ 5 Jul 2012 15:54:23 1,892 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Sorry no answers here, but I would like to start developing something for android. Could you point me in the right direction for a good tutorial?
  • AcidSnake 6 Jul 2012 13:35:44 7,268 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Solved it eventually, I just had to place the view where it was going to end and run the animation backwards so it would stop in the exact position the view was...

@TVoJ:
    Lynda.com has a nice video tutorial for it which explains the basics and I've also looked at Head First Android Development (500 pages e-book)...
    The book builds things up quite nicely but it's not at all checked for errors, so some stuff won't compile and lots of syntax errors...You're going to spend a while debugging the code you're given if you follow that but it does give you some fundamentals you can build on...

Java knowledge is pretty much a must though before you start...

I know a fair bit of JavaScript and was able to manage regardless...

Be warned that the official docs are very poorly written...StackOverflow will become your friend... :)

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• WrongShui 6 Jul 2012 13:44:21 6,618 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I can post in this thread!

After reading a couple of books I am making a game for android devices, its pretty naff.
  • AcidSnake 6 Jul 2012 14:27:04 7,268 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @WrongShui:
    What books did you read/do you recommend?
    I'm still at noob level I think and would welcome any extra documentation...

• ModishNouns 6 Jul 2012 14:34:48 4,655 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Why oh why oh why must this project have API level 5 installed in order to build? I'm targeting 10 and a grep of the whole directory branch reveals no (count 'em.. none) occurances of anything remotely level 5 like in any of the files.
  • AcidSnake 6 Jul 2012 14:53:51 7,268 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just build it in fragments and....oh...

• WrongShui 6 Jul 2012 16:51:32 6,618 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    AcidSnake wrote:
    @WrongShui:
    What books did you read/do you recommend?
    I'm still at noob level I think and would welcome any extra documentation...
    In 2010 I read Brian Overland's C++ Without Fear : A beginner's Guide That Makes You Feel Smart, Ivor Hortons's Beginning Visual C++ 2010 and Introduction To 3D Game Programming With DirectX 9.0c A Shader Approach by Frank D. Luna. Then last Christmas I decided to go Java and Android so I read Beginning Android Games by Mario Zechner, which has some useful foundation classes and the whole thing sets you up for his LibGDX stuff, which I'm yet to try.

All useful books and all helped, especially Frank D Lunas book, but I guess Mario Zechners book is probably gonna be the most helpful to you, introduces you to OpenGL ES and useful general gamey tid bits.
  • AcidSnake 6 Jul 2012 16:57:02 7,268 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @WrongShui:
    Cheers...
    I'm not in game design (yet) and still very much the app side of things, but any help in understanding more is something that's always useful...
    I have to say the amount of good tutorials about Android development is shockingly low...Or maybe I haven't found them yet...

• Page

of 1

Previous Next