Upgrading My PC - Help! :-)

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • ExcellentBenji 23 May 2012 16:41:17 84 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Hi

I currently have a PC that I use for a bit of light gaming. It's quite old but runs really well, with a Pentium 4 with HT, 4GB of RAM, a GeForce graphics card with 256mb of RAM and Windows XP.

Luckily, I've inherited a newer PC from family. It powers on, but nothing's displayed on the screen. I'm not sure what the problem is as I don't know anything about cabling or if anything's missing. On the bright side, it has a motherboard with a Intel Core Duo Quad and 3GB of RAM, as well as a much better graphics card (512mb of RAM).

What I'd like to do is transfer the motherboard including processor and graphics card, as well as the disk drive as a slave to my current, working, set-up.

After some random Googling, it seems I just open my working PC, remove the PC-I cards and cabling (I'm going to take photos so I remember where everything goes) and unscrew the motherboard, do the same to the non-working PC, then put the motherboard of the latter into the former, put the cabling back, refit the PC-I cards (including the newer graphics cards), hook-up the new disk drive as a slave with relevant cabling, and I'm done.

What I'm hoping after all this is done is I'll have a PC with Windows XP, Core Duo Quad processor, 4GB of RAM and a reasonable graphics card, all good to go. My plan is to install Windows 7 on the new disk drive after I've wiped it so the system is dual boot.

My question is - is there anything I'm missing that I haven't taken into account? I've only ever gone as far as putting RAM inside a computer, so this is all new to me.

Thanks!

Edited by ExcellentBenji at 16:43:16 23-05-2012
  • Razz 23 May 2012 16:44:27 61,400 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• Deleted user 23 May 2012 17:30:20
    >.<

Edited by oi at 17:30:39 23-05-2012
  • Deleted user 23 May 2012 17:33:39
  • Deleted user 23 May 2012 17:34:06
    um...
  • Gland 23 May 2012 17:47:25 78,481 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Put loads of dirt in it and plant some strawberries. It might also make an attractive window box.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• skuzzbag 23 May 2012 18:12:41 5,651 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So much spite and bitterness.
  • Mr-Brett 23 May 2012 18:31:49 12,828 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You should be fine, the only thing I can think of is that your older stuff might use IDE and *newer boards don't tend to have many IDE slots.

*newer being a relative term in this context.

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• Clive_Dunn 23 May 2012 18:53:52 4,782 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Don't forget to discharge the plasma induction coils first, first time builders always seem to make that mistake.
  • WoodenSpoon 23 May 2012 19:15:04 12,291 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'd give it a whirl and hope that it isn't the CPU or Mobo which is stopping the broken PC from working; maybe don't put the broken computers' HDD in til you know all the other stuff is working first.

Also if you're using SATA devices then you don't have to worry about master/slave stuff, just make sure that the boot order for the disk drives is set up right in the bios, especially if you do put the HDD from the broken computer in before you test your new build out.
  • ExcellentBenji 23 May 2012 20:17:42 84 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    WoodenSpoon wrote:
    I'd give it a whirl and hope that it isn't the CPU or Mobo which is stopping the broken PC from working; maybe don't put the broken computers' HDD in til you know all the other stuff is working first.

Also if you're using SATA devices then you don't have to worry about master/slave stuff, just make sure that the boot order for the disk drives is set up right in the bios, especially if you do put the HDD from the broken computer in before you test your new build out.
    Thanks for the reply WoodenSpoon, and thanks also to Mr-Brett. I put the working graphics card from my XP machine into the broken PC, and managed to get it to boot! It seems the only problem was the better graphics card being broken, although I can't get sound for some reason.

I'm going to wipe the previously broken CD and see how it fairs with a new installation of Windows 7. Should it work OK I'm going to buy a new graphics card.

These look pretty good for the money:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-Radeon-DirectCU-Graphics-Express/dp/B005G7QN94/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337799872&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Radeon-Express-GDDR5-Engine-Clock/dp/B006CN09BE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1337800462&sr=8-2

As I say, I'm not an avid PC gamer, although I think I would be if I could get a different setup. Would either of these do the trick nicely?
  • Gland 23 May 2012 20:24:54 78,481 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Both are more than adequate.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• ExcellentBenji 25 May 2012 12:18:17 84 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Thanks :-) In the end I plumped for a GTX550Ti, as it has a slight edge over the cards I mentioned (and it's a touch cheaper, too). After a lot of Googling, I found out I'd need to upgrade the PSU as well, as my current one is 300w - the system needs about 430w, but I've gone and got a Corsair 600w PSU instead (if anyone is in a similar position and is thinking about upgrading their own PSU - go for a more expensive name brand, the internet votes almost unanimously that cheap PSUs are not worth the money and can fry the other components).

All in all, a shade over 130.

Installing the graphics card will be easy, but I've never installed a PSU before. I'm going to follow this guide:

http://www.fonerbooks.com/r_power.htm

Wish me luck! :-D
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next