Nintendo: The Bomb - LOLZ Page 17

• Page

of 18 First / Last

• Armoured_Bear 5 Jun 2013 10:00:06 11,643 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    When was the last time the bomb actually went off?

For a home console, I mean. Pre-Wii I think.
    Boom!

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• LeoliansBro 5 Jun 2013 10:00:58 44,718 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    For those of us who want to retain office credibility by not watching a Nintendo press conference at work, what's ecosse on about?

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Deckard1 5 Jun 2013 10:03:21 29,094 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Its just a video of Gary Glitter and Jimmy Saville high fiving.

Fish fingers and chips pretty straight forward.

• Armoured_Bear 5 Jun 2013 10:03:25 11,643 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    For those of us who want to retain office credibility by not watching a Nintendo press conference at work, what's ecosse on about?
    You spend half your day posting in a Wii U thread, does that make you the cool guy in the office?

• LeoliansBro 5 Jun 2013 10:03:45 44,718 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yes because I take the adult viewpoint.

• CharlieStCloud 5 Jun 2013 10:05:02 5,350 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    A video that makes me feel embarrassed to know I once used to be a Nintendo fanboy.

... but then I guess you probably already knew that!

: )
  • Rhaegyr 5 Jun 2013 10:06:05 2,663 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    CS Lewis - "People who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence."
  • Armoured_Bear 5 Jun 2013 10:06:48 11,643 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    CS Lewis - "People who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence."
    Nice :-)

• LeoliansBro 5 Jun 2013 10:09:54 44,718 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    'When I was a man, I put aside childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be so very grown up.' it's something I absolutely stand by, else I wouldn't be playing computer games at all.

What I mean is I'm looking at Nintendo's performance / likely market and management decisions, and evolving strategy through the prism of business rationale rather than through the prism of fanboyism.

• Mola_Ram 5 Jun 2013 10:12:10 7,934 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It's Mario Galaxy. But don't mind me; continue with the retarded name-calling.
  • Armoured_Bear 5 Jun 2013 10:14:50 11,643 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    'When I was a man, I put aside childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be so very grown up.' it's something I absolutely stand by, else I wouldn't be playing computer games at all.

What I mean is I'm looking at Nintendo's performance / likely market and management decisions, and evolving strategy through the prism of business rationale rather than through the prism of fanboyism.
    It's not cancelled LB.

• Armoured_Bear 5 Jun 2013 10:39:11 11,643 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago

• Razz 5 Jun 2013 10:42:05 61,567 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Bill Trinen building the hype

Tick...tick....
    LOL What the hell was that vid he linked? Whatever it was it cemented my belief that Japanese woman have superior beauty to other races:

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• LeoliansBro 5 Jun 2013 10:43:50 44,718 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:

It's not cancelled LB.
    Again, who said it was cancelled?

I agree that on balance Nintendo are now looking likely to make a fist of the WiiU. But for the longest time they looked like they hadn't decided to commit and were waiting to see.

• Armoured_Bear 5 Jun 2013 10:45:55 11,643 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:

It's not cancelled LB.
    Again, who said it was cancelled?

I agree that on balance Nintendo are now looking likely to make a fist of the WiiU. But for the longest time they looked like they hadn't decided to commit and were waiting to see.
    Of course, they were holding back on announcing games because they were looking at dropping the console after 6 months, not because games take a couple of years to make and they weren't developed enough yet.

• LeoliansBro 5 Jun 2013 11:02:00 44,718 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Why was the console released with the games still a couple of years away? With the battery smaller than the compartment? With large firmware updates needed on day one? With precisely one game (Lego) coming out in 6 months?

Let me put this through an objective assessment for you, one more time.

Nintendo intended to release a stopgap console building on the Wii's success, thinking that lightning could strike twice and a simple, cheap console could capture the same vast userbase as their previous effort. They ran into trouble from the off - the Wii has been bough in huge numbers but nobody was using them. Solution: 'recapture the hardcore gamer'. Nintendo now has a reputation for innovative and imagination over processing grunt. Solution: the gamepad controller and the much vaunted 'asymmetrical gaming'. Get this out the door and you've a 360+ (or PS3+) which will naturally appeal to 3rd party developers and take in some of the accumulated cash from 7 years of no new consoles.

But as MS and Sony cemented 2013 as likely release dates for their next gen Nintendo found themselves squeezed - the window for making the WiiU a success was now very much finite and developer focus would be on MS and Sony's offering. Solution: find a compromise release date which was a) early enough to given the WiiU a material time when it was the best thing in the market, and b) late enough to ensure there were enough launch titles.

Ahead of this Nintendo probably had a look at multiple alternatives, including

1. pulling out of consoles and going software only,

2. releasing a more powerful console (or WiiU upgrade) to compete with the next gen,

3. throwing everything into supporting the WiiU to build a userbase whie the marketplace was still open,

4. waiting to see what MS and Sony promised and then pricing / releasing accordingly.

1. Is premature given Nintendo's reserves and reputation to protect (they aren't Sony yet). 2 and 4 are indistinguishable for an external viewpoint, as both result in limiting support for the WiiU, which is what we've seen. 3. didn't happen, I don't think anyone believes Nintendo fully supported the WiiU to date.

So given Nintendo can see these options as well, I think they went with both 2. and 4. by holding off on 1st party development (citing how difficult it is to make HD games or some such bullshit) and 3rd party support and then making the decision based on what MS and Sony have to offer - do they compete or undercut? The WiiU suffered on sales but then there was the possibility that Nintendo spent 100m more on advertising and promotion and getting more WiiU units sold and then it STILL failing if the new consoles really were that specitacular.

I'd say given suggested prices and especially the Xbones peripherals, they will likely now look to undercut.

tl;dr

• Armoured_Bear 5 Jun 2013 11:04:39 11,643 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Nah, they rushed it out for Christmas to get a full year start despite it not really being ready and their HD software development is taking longer than expected.
    Oh, and the Wii success made them cocky.

• Razz 5 Jun 2013 11:09:56 61,567 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The Wii U is nintendo's 8th console right? Not including the Gameboy/Ds range. That's amazing.

• LeoliansBro 5 Jun 2013 11:10:54 44,718 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Nah, they rushed it out for Christmas to get a full year start despite it not really being ready and their HD software development is taking longer than expected.
    Well, that's what I said.

• Armoured_Bear 5 Jun 2013 11:13:12 11,643 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    No, you said they were clearly considering dropping it after 6 months which is utter, utter nonsense.

• MrTomFTW Moderator 5 Jun 2013 11:14:13 39,257 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    IF Sony and MS come through with their promises (e.g. 15 first party games for the XBO in the first 12 months) then they're going to make Nintendo look very foolish.

That's a capital IF of course :-)

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• LeoliansBro 5 Jun 2013 11:16:23 44,718 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    No, you said they were clearly considering dropping it after 6 months which is utter, utter nonsense.
    Le sigh.

Do you think that was never tabled or discussed, even to reject it?

• Armoured_Bear 5 Jun 2013 11:17:45 11,643 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Le sigh.

Do you think that was never tabled or discussed, even to reject it?
    Nope, I think it will be next year if it tanks at xmas but there's not a chance in hell they'd consider it a few months after release.

• LeoliansBro 5 Jun 2013 11:20:03 44,718 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So far it hasn't sold despite:

- competition being 6 years old.
    - Appearing right before Christmas with a bunch of new games.
    - 50% price reduction in places.
    - Emphatic promises from Nintendo that great games are coming.

It's already tanked at Christmas.

• Razz 5 Jun 2013 11:23:43 61,567 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The Wii U might be a slow burner, only time will tell if they can turn it around. I hope they will, I hope they sort out their focus, release some more games that I want to play. I sure every true gamer wishes that, even the ones that don't own or currently plan to buy a Wii U.

Edited by Razz at 11:38:37 05-06-2013

• Rhaegyr 5 Jun 2013 11:26:37 2,663 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    There's a silver lining for me on the Wii U's poor performance.

There may be exceptions, but the poorer a 'big' console does sales-wise usually leads to an avalanche of great games in an attempt to claw some market share back - see N64, GameCube and Dreamcast, each of which had amazing libraries and quite a variety. It's no coincidence that they're probably my three favourite consoles, too.

Hoping to see something similar with the Wii U.
  • Deckard1 5 Jun 2013 11:27:29 29,094 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I don't. Nintendo should be a software only company. Their consoles are awful.

Fish fingers and chips pretty straight forward.

• LeoliansBro 5 Jun 2013 11:28:54 44,718 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Handheld only maybe. They'd make more money that way at the moment, that's for sure.

• Armoured_Bear 5 Jun 2013 11:32:32 11,643 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    So far it hasn't sold despite:

- competition being 6 years old.
    - Appearing right before Christmas with a bunch of new games.
    - 50% price reduction in places.
    - Emphatic promises from Nintendo that great games are coming.

It's already tanked at Christmas.
    If it's going to sell it'll be because of the games that come out for it, simple as that.

• nickthegun 5 Jun 2013 11:33:45 60,951 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    A few adverts probably wouldnt hurt either.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Page

of 18 First / Last