PS2 freezing at intro screen before loading game. Anyone know if this can be repaired?

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • rickalish 19 May 2012 18:13:21 1,796 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hi. I'm guessing my PS2 slim is buggered, but I can't find anything related on the net to clarify this.

The console freezes when you turn it on. The bit where it makes the loud noise and swooshes round before showing you the logo. Does anyone know if this can be fixed with a simple repair?

Just to clarify, the console isn't freezing with a game in it.
  • Folant 19 May 2012 18:39:20 1,167 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    It is easily fixable. You just have to get a hard rubber mallet and swing it downwards with all the force you can muster from your chosen arm.

Posted from my Nexus 4, not using Tapatalk 4.

• GuiltySpark 19 May 2012 19:02:13 6,387 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    They're about 20 quid to replace, so I wouldn't be that downhearted if it's not fixable.

Get bent.

• rickalish 20 May 2012 14:44:17 1,796 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    GuiltySpark wrote:
    They're about 20 quid to replace, so I wouldn't be that downhearted if it's not fixable.
    True. It's just a shame as it was working perfectly up until this happened.
  • Deleted user 27 May 2012 08:29:36
    Sounds like you need a new laser. Or a laser adjustment.
  • mal 27 May 2012 08:51:29 22,542 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'd have thought you'd be able to tell if it was that or not by seeing if it'd boot up without a disc in.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• TheMightyRose 31 May 2012 17:08:42 174 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I had this problem as well. The Mighty Rose just gave the lens a good clean and it worked again for a while. I would give that a try first before splashing the cash if you have not already.
  • Cappy 31 May 2012 17:58:58 11,940 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sorry, it sounds like your console is headed for the knackers Timmy.

With the PS2 not being sold in the UK for yonks, I doubt there is any warranty so you've got nothing to lose very carefully opening her up and giving the innards a clean as MightyRose suggests.

Was your PS2 ever modded? The symptoms sound like the sort of boot-up problems you eventually get from the often sloppy soldering giving way and wires coming loose or making contact with something they shouldn't.

On the bright side, PS2 slims are very cheap these days and so wonderfully compact I was considering get three slims to compliment my older Japanese PS2, one for each region to cover my International PS2 games collection.
  • thomasskinner 31 Aug 2014 17:47:38 1 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 3 weeks ago
    my PS2 fat version still freezes when i try to play a game after i tryed to fix it
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next