Can you suggest me a JRPG?

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • FiveMinuteHero 17 May 2012 12:17:57 115 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Can someone please suggest me a JRPG that:

1. Does not have complicated fighting mechanics (I tried White Knight Chronicles but found it too complicated in how you combined 'moves' to create new ones).

2. Has a 'classic JRPG', not futuristic.

• Deleted user 17 May 2012 12:19:39
    Chrono Trigger
  • JBlokeUK 17 May 2012 12:27:48 2,309 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Star Ocean The Last Hope is well worth a look, although may look too 'futuristic' for you. Great battle system though.

I like it when he's angry.

• Cappy 17 May 2012 12:53:01 11,830 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There isn't much that meets those criterion that's also worth your time on the PS3. Your best bet would be waiting for Ni no Kuni but that's due next year.

Eternal Sonata, whilst not exactly complicated, embellishes it's battle system as you progress, it's a bit too twitch based for my liking, much like Star Ocean, the story and characters are awful also.

3D Dot Game Heroes has a pretty simple action RPG battle system if a classic Zelda style game appeals.

The games that best fit the bill are the Atelier games, the battle systems are straightforward command based like many PS1 and PS2 classics, though you might find the alchemy and item creation side of the game don't meet your simple mechanics criterion.

Atelier Rorona is long out of print and hard to find now, copies of Atelier Totori are still about though, I'd take a look at that to see if it appeals to you.

Edited by Cappy at 12:53:38 17-05-2012
  • santashi 17 May 2012 13:07:11 5,049 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I've just started playing Atelier Rorona and was about to recommend that, but I had no idea it was out of print. I swear it's not that long since I bought it! It seems rather different from the last Atelier game I played but it is very addictive so far. One of those games you tell yourself you're going to only have another 5 minutes on and then realise it's over an hour later. ;) Like Cappy says, though, the alchemy isn't as simple as it sounds you're after.

I probably wouldn't recommend Hyperdimension Neptunia 1 all that much, since the combat feels annoyingly intrusive and repetitive after a while. The second one is apparently an improvement but I want to finish the first one before I move on.

Tales of Graces F comes out at the end of August and all first print copies come with an art book, soundtrack CD and making of DVD if you happen to like extras. :D

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• FiveMinuteHero 17 May 2012 20:35:22 115 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Thanks a lot for the replies.

The problem I had with WKC was regarding how you combined moves (or was it weapons?), which you could then use during battle. I found that complicated, and couldn't not see the point of so many possible variations.

I tried looking for Atelier Roroni but I couldn't find it anywhere. I know I could start from the sequel, but I'd hate to start from the sequel.

How is tales of graces f?

I was also looking forward to Ni no Kuni but it got delayed by like a year.
  • SolidSCB 17 May 2012 21:09:24 6,387 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Persona 4.
  • FiveMinuteHero 17 May 2012 21:23:08 115 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ps3?
  • MadCaddy13 17 May 2012 21:32:10 1,856 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Lost Odyssey was really enjoyable. 70 hours I clocked in on that.
  • dominalien 17 May 2012 21:34:47 6,835 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Lunar
    Wild Arms

PSN: DonOsito

• santashi 17 May 2012 22:31:09 5,049 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I feel people may not have noticed the subforum. ;)

I personally love the Tales of games-they're my favourite RPG series-so maybe you're better off asking someone with less bias. The battle system is easy enough to pick up. Watch some gameplay clips on YouTube and see if it looks like your thing.

There's also Trinity Universe and the Agarest series. And Disgaea of course if you like SJRPGs, although that can seem daunting at first.

• Cappy 17 May 2012 22:43:31 11,830 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    FiveMinuteHero wrote:
    I tried looking for Atelier Roroni but I couldn't find it anywhere. I know I could start from the sequel, but I'd hate to start from the sequel.
    Amazon have a few copies left

Though, the price being higher now than when it first released is a bit silly, hence me recommending Totori.

Each game has a self contained storyline so they don't have to be played in any specific order, the third game Atelier Meruru is also out now and well worth a look.
  • santashi 17 May 2012 22:53:43 5,049 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yep, Meruru is out next week in the EU and you can get an artbook if you preorder from Zavvi. (I'm a sucker for artbooks...)

• PazJohnMitch 17 May 2012 23:00:09 7,793 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Valkyria Chronicles.

Purely because it is the best JRPG style game. (Disgaea 4 would then be second).
  • StefJamEX 18 May 2012 00:32:51 94 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I've said it before and I'll say it again - JRPGs this gen have been a bitter disappointment. From Nes to PS2, we've been treated to some genuinely amazing JRPGs, but this current gen seems to be the domain of the WRPG.

If you want current-ish great JRPGs, you really need to check out the PSP back catalogue.

XBL: StefJam
    PSN/Vita/Steam: StefJamEX

• StefJamEX 18 May 2012 00:36:15 94 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    It's also interesting to note that, in my opinion, the two best RPGs from Japan have very Western style aesthetics and sensibilities - Demons/Dark Souls. I wouldn't say they are WRPGs at all, but they have the look. The feel, on the other hand, is something deliciously deviant.

Soap box rant over! Sorry...

XBL: StefJam
    PSN/Vita/Steam: StefJamEX

• FiveMinuteHero 18 May 2012 06:52:59 115 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    santashi wrote:
    I feel people may not have noticed the subforum. ;)

I personally love the Tales of games-they're my favourite RPG series-so maybe you're better off asking someone with less bias. The battle system is easy enough to pick up. Watch some gameplay clips on YouTube and see if it looks like your thing.

There's also Trinity Universe and the Agarest series. And Disgaea of course if you like SJRPGs, although that can seem daunting at first.
    Thanks I will check out Tales!
  • FiveMinuteHero 18 May 2012 06:53:48 115 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Cappy wrote:
    FiveMinuteHero wrote:
    Amazon have a few copies left

Though, the price being higher now than when it first released is a bit silly, hence me recommending Totori.

Each game has a self contained storyline so they don't have to be played in any specific order, the third game Atelier Meruru is also out now and well worth a look.
    Thanks Cappy, at this point might as well get the latest version of the game - Rorona's price is a bit too funky.
  • StixxUK 28 Feb 2013 10:13:27 7,231 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    So... Ni No Kuni or Persona 4g?

I want a jrpg but put off a bit by the styles of both of these. NNK looks beautiful but too bright and child friendly, and the setting of p4 just sounds dull.

My ideal would be a strategic turn based combat system with a strong story and plenty of nice jrpg grandeur.

Getting fire emblem when its out but I think that is really more about the combat than the jrpgness.
  • Armoured_Bear 28 Feb 2013 10:20:33 10,273 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    "too bright" - lol.

Too much colour, give me the greys and browns!

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• neems 28 Feb 2013 10:23:10 1,151 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    How about Resonance of Fate - different to the usual JRPG fare, interesting setting and combat. Probably my favourite JRPG (speaking as somebody who doesn't normally play them).
  • FabricatedLunatic 28 Feb 2013 10:24:10 12,994 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    StixxUK wrote:
    strategic turn based combat system

Persona 4

strong story
    Persona 4

jrpg grandeur.
    Ni No Kuni

Hope that helps! For what it's worth, P4 is one of my favourite games ever, while Ni No Kuni didn't really do much for me outside of the visuals and music. Ni No Kuni does have a sense of adventure and wonder you might find lacking in P4, though I think there's a lot to be said for Persona's 4 unique window into the life of a small rural Japanese town - if you like that sort of thing.
  • StixxUK 28 Feb 2013 10:45:49 7,231 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    "too bright" - lol.

Give me variety and some darkness, leave out the kids cartoon colour palette and the pastels and give me something more exciting.
  • StixxUK 28 Feb 2013 10:52:47 7,231 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Think I'll give P4 a go then!
  • spamdangled 28 Feb 2013 10:58:36 27,269 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    FiveMinuteHero wrote:
    Can someone please suggest me a JRPG that:

1. Does not have complicated fighting mechanics (I tried White Knight Chronicles but found it too complicated in how you combined 'moves' to create new ones).

2. Has a 'classic JRPG', not futuristic.

Do you mean in general, or on PS3?

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• spamdangled 28 Feb 2013 11:00:04 27,269 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    StixxUK wrote:

I want a jrpg but put off a bit by the styles of both of these. NNK looks beautiful but too bright and child friendly, and the setting of p4 just sounds dull.

My ideal would be a strategic turn based combat system with a strong story and plenty of nice jrpg grandeur.

Getting fire emblem when its out but I think that is really more about the combat than the jrpgness.
    Valkyrie Chronicles?

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Armoured_Bear 28 Feb 2013 11:01:58 10,273 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    StixxUK wrote:

Valkyrie Chronicles?
    That has colour.

• Armoured_Bear 28 Feb 2013 11:03:28 10,273 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    StixxUK wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    "too bright" - lol.

Give me variety and some darkness, leave out the kids cartoon colour palette and the pastels and give me something more exciting.
    Yeah, I hate that colour shit, I want darkness and blood and shiny metal.
    It makes he feel like a grown up.

• spamdangled 28 Feb 2013 11:04:31 27,269 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:
    StixxUK wrote:

Valkyrie Chronicles?
    That has colour.
    Well so do most JRPGs.

Resonance of Fate would probably meet his "brown and visually boring" requirement.

I'd suggest Eternal Sonata, but it might burn his retinas out.

StixxUK wrote:
    Is this Bizarro land? Since when is darkness and lack of colour considered exciting and varied? It's the total opposite.

Edited by darkmorgado at 11:06:36 28-02-2013

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous