Game Card vs Download, and Memory Cards!

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • fb77 12 May 2012 14:44:25 102 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Sorry for the dullness, but I find myself wondering how others are handling their games, especially considering daft download prices and tiny memory cards.

I had it in my head that I'd download all my games on to a single memory card, to carry my entire library with me at all times.

Having quickly filled up my 16GB card, I'm torn between the faff of swapping between memory cards (and continuing to download at mainly extortionate prices) and just buying future titles on game card (physical copy for less, and swappable).

I might just have answered my own question there! Thoughts?
  • santashi 12 May 2012 16:01:04 5,091 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I've got a 32GB card which has on it:
    -Uncharted, Disgaea, Everybody's Golf, Wipeout, Dynasty Warriors, Ninja Gaiden and that freebie puzzle game on it Vita-wise
    -Persona 3, Spectral Souls, Tactics Ogre, Gods Eater Burst, Z.H.P., Harvest Moon, Dissidia 012, Disgaea Infinite, Zenonia, Numblast, Urbanix and Jewel Keepers on it PSP-game-wise
    -a few of those free apps
    -a bunch of anime episodes

The card still has 10GB on it apparently, which seems pretty reasonable considering the amount that I have on there, a lot of which I could easily take off if space became an issue. The only physical game I own at the moment is Shinobido (the save data is on the card so it's not going anywhere!) and I'm really happy with this setup.

If I want to buy a Vita game that has replay value like the ones above then I'll probably get it digitally. I'll probably save my card buys for import games, games I'm not completely sure I'll like or ridiculously cheap offers.

This is partly influenced by the fact that I traded in a crazy amount of old games a little while back and ended up with over 200 in PSN vouchers though. :D

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• santashi 12 May 2012 17:53:08 5,091 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Actually, just seen Resistance is going to be 40 on the PSN, which is silly, although it seems to have encouraged the retailers to put their prices up to 35.

• Flying_Pig 12 May 2012 22:33:31 10,878 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I tend to play a game, complete it and then (with a few exceptions) never return to it, so buying at retail isn't an issue. Furthermore, it's not as if the Vita game cards are very big...
  • Syrette 12 May 2012 22:40:55 43,292 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Don't forget that Vita games are rent-able.

• santashi 12 May 2012 23:26:34 5,091 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Flying_Pig wrote:
    I tend to play a game, complete it and then (with a few exceptions) never return to it, so buying at retail isn't an issue. Furthermore, it's not as if the Vita game cards are very big...
    But Disgaea! :D /addict I also tend to play the daily tournaments in EG more than the normal single player game. But yeah, something I would never replay or wasn't sure if it'd be my cup of tea would most likely be a physical purchase.

• oldschoolsoviet 31 Jul 2012 22:52:56 5,460 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @mrpon

Errr, Vita doesn't use MS Duo. PSP did.
  • Help_me 31 Jul 2012 23:30:22 940 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Me too. No one complains about the difference in the price of the iphone given the only difference in them is the memory.
  • Help_me 1 Aug 2012 00:13:10 940 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Best by far. I can honestly say i have not touched my xbox or ps3 for about three months. Have only played vita. Certainly makes up for the 70 quid i paid for 32gb card on release day.
  • Roddy100 1 Aug 2012 00:23:43 756 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Vita is an amazing handheld but then, that's how I felt (still feel) about my PSP too. I only use the PS3 when I'm gaming with my wife or friends. All other gaming time is spent on handhelds (not including the Apple devices which do NOT compare) and it has been that way for me for many years now.
  • Syrette 1 Aug 2012 00:33:10 43,292 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    beercr8te wrote:
    Exactly help me, people just find fault with the vita for no good reason and it really pisses me off. It happens to be the best hand held on the market with a great selection of games so far and yet people cry about nothing.
    Oh please.

People's problems with the VIta are completely legit and understandable. You might not agree but I can't see why you can't empathise.

As for "a great selection of games", well that's subjective, but I don't think people disagree with that too much. It's the sparsity of quality releases since the launch period that bothers people, as well as the perhaps somewhat lacklustre future line-up. The latter is my personal issue with the console - there is next to nothing coming out for it that I really want apart from AC3: Liberation. For me the Vita had a great launch, very little until Gravity Rush and absolutely nothing since it (which is true for all consoles since Gravity Rush came out actually).

Even the most ardent members of the SDF should understand why people have a problem with the software and the price of accessories (why did I have to pay for a screenwipe, wrist strap etc when the PSP came with them in the box?).

Edited by Syrette at 00:35:41 01-08-2012

• mrpon 1 Aug 2012 03:47:37 28,745 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    oldschoolsoviet wrote:
    @mrpon

Errr, Vita doesn't use MS Duo. PSP did.
    :redface: move along now, nothing to see here.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• mrpon 1 Aug 2012 03:48:25 28,745 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Post deleted

• zonipoi 3 Aug 2012 00:59:39 17 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I have a 32GB card with plenty of stuff and still have around 15GB free. I'll try to buy physical copies of the games that I know will take only 5-15 hours to complete and anything beyond that as digital.

I never trade in games but I have a habit that when I put a cart inside it will stay there for a long time. That's why I try to buy digitally any >15h game and all sports titles and stuff that I play often but have long stops between playing. Persona 4 is a definite digital purchase as it will take me months to complete.

Feel bad about importing MLB12 as that's a game that would be perfect to have as digital and actually might double dip to get the digital version. I played it for about a month already without any other cart getting turn so I didn't touch Uncharted in that time although I'm only halfway through.
  • Jmog 3 Aug 2012 14:26:44 394 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    No killer app? Have you tried Gravity Rush?
  • INSOMANiAC 3 Aug 2012 15:19:56 3,829 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I got a 4gb card free with mine, Uncharted filled it, waste of time. had to delete it, including games save to play another game.... excellent

Bought an 8gb from GAME using credit note when I thought they were shutting down, they had no 16gb and the 8gb cost me 35 quid, fucking joke. Got a few games on there and thats full.

Bought Unit 13 for silly money off PS store, takes up a huge amount of room and I never play it, want to delete it but dont want to delete the game save (you can transfer the lot to your PS3 or PC but in practice, it took about an hour or more to transfer Uncharted to my ps3, too much like hard work)

The only game I'd want on memory card would be Everybodys golf, which I bought the physical copy of for 30 quid... I'd buy the 11.99 PSN version but there seems to be no way to keep my game save, its so fucking stupid.

Anyway, fuck the memory cards and fuck PSN.

The big problem now is these games having 200mb patches, even games youve bought on cartridge, taking up extremely expensive memory card space.

I wont be buying another PSN game until I can get a 32gb card for 20 quid.

Rant over.

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• CharlieStCloud 3 Aug 2012 15:45:37 5,202 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    anthonypappa wrote:
    At 199 for a wifi model and a 64GB card, i'd insta buy this, even though i have no real use for it, and would trust the decent games to come later down the line.
    I say these words even to this very day, but Sony genuinely should have chucked a 4GB memory card into the box (with the PS Vita) as it at least gives the buyer one of those, 'oh, it comes with everything!' moments as oppose to being bogged down with other things you require when you purchase the blooming thing on it's own.

The memory cards are shockingly expensive - 44.99 for 16GB?! I know you can find them floating around for a shy under forty pounds, but still ... it only makes the whole PS Vita experience too dear for a vast majority of people.

I was chuffed to get my PS Vita (Wi-Fi) along with a 8GB memory card and Lumines for 219 on day one and that really should have been the standard way of buying it.

Oh well, just speaking my mind!

... : )
  • martinthemonkey 23 Aug 2012 11:36:52 429 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm waiting on a 32GB card and will be selling my 16GB card if anyone is interested? 30, free postage within the UK etc.
  • Afiddes 23 Aug 2012 11:46:29 1,164 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    :( dammit i spent 26 on an 8gig just a week ago :(

3DS: 5198 2465 6450

• mrpon 23 Aug 2012 18:55:51 28,745 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ermm..

Edited by mrpon at 20:00:10 23-08-2012

• Flying_Pig 23 Aug 2012 19:51:21 10,878 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Ermm..
    That's an amazing price!

Tempted myself, even though I have 6gb free on my 16gb card...

Edited by Flying_Pig at 07:24:52 24-08-2012
  • Afiddes 24 Aug 2012 06:43:38 1,164 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    :( teach me to be bloody impaitant I picked it up from game :(

Worst bit was I actually thought I was getting a good deal because I picked up used what a bunch of thieving tossers!

Edited by Afiddes at 06:45:04 24-08-2012

3DS: 5198 2465 6450

• martinthemonkey 24 Aug 2012 09:01:59 429 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @mrpon That is cheap. Good on ShopTo selling at a price which will promote the Vita further.
  • mrpon 24 Aug 2012 09:03:23 28,745 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    And shame on you for not! :)

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous