Minecraft XBLA Page 33

• Page

of 69 First / Last

• Mr-Brett 21 Jun 2012 20:20:51 12,723 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sounds a bit like the Bat Cave someone made (look it up on youtube, it's very impressive).

It's a shame that more stuff isn't persistent, I guess it means all redstone systems require human interaction of some kind. Although there maybe less reliable methods, like locking a wolf in a small area with a pressure plate, if there was water pushing it to the plate it might act as an 'always on' system when you load in that chunk.

Portable view - Never forget.

• teamHAM 21 Jun 2012 20:42:40 2,773 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Have just tried local split screen for the first time with someone and the right thumbstick doesnt work for the second player, so they cannot look around. If I switch controllers around I get the same issue with my controller. It's not the controller as both of them work in game as Player 1 and both work outside the game. So it must be some sort of bug unless I'm missing something.....

Has anyone else had this issue? Is there a fix for it?

I can't find anything on the net about it yet it would seem it's a fairly huge issue as it renders split screen almost useless.

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• phoopipe 21 Jun 2012 20:51:15 1,389 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Somebody in the thread had the same problem i also seen a few reports on twitter of others with the same issue.

Im not 100% certain but i think they said to check the sensitivity settings as they can default to zero. (but i could be imagining reading that)
  • teamHAM 21 Jun 2012 20:58:47 2,773 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    teamHAM wrote:
    Have just tried local split screen for the first time with someone and the right thumbstick doesnt work for the second player, so they cannot look around. If I switch controllers around I get the same issue with my controller. It's not the controller as both of them work in game as Player 1 and both work outside the game. So it must be some sort of bug unless I'm missing something.....

I can't find anything on the net about it yet it would seem it's a fairly huge issue as it renders split screen almost useless.
    Well I've got it working, so just in case people don't know I'll mention it:

If the second player doesn't have a gold account it tells you before you go into the game to make it an offline game. So you do that but when you go into the game they cannot look around.

If you make it an online game as one player then enter the world, then turn the second controller on it will ask if you want to make a guest account, choose yes then you enter as "(Gamertag)1" and you can move around as expected. Not an ideal fix but at least that circumvents the bug.

Edited by teamHAM at 21:00:06 21-06-2012

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• andytheadequate 21 Jun 2012 21:11:26 8,084 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ironlungs76 wrote:
    You guys have me intrigued with all this talk of "secret projects". I might come visit if you're on later tonight after the footie to see what you're on about :)
    I will give you a tour if you like?

The secret project he was referring to was a secret from me and Brett. The grand unveiling of it was last night, and was very spectacular. And then he set it on fire because he does that :D
  • ubergine 22 Jun 2012 01:43:01 2,113 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @AcidSnake With your minecart question: I've yet to make a "detector rail" but do they activate when a minecart is placed on them (or do you have to be in it?)

That might be a way to rig up an iron door that only opens when people deposit their Minecart on a rail.

Also, do people realise you can run redstone cables underground? there was talk about it being too ugly to run long wires. in most circumstances current will pass up or down, eg there's 3 blocks stacked. you could have a pressure plate on the top block, destroy the middle block then put redstone on the bottom block. useful for example having a pressure plate activate a dispenser without wires, but with repeaters the dedicated could run wires to any distances I guess.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ubergine

• robthehermit 22 Jun 2012 08:30:44 3,991 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    teamHAM wrote:
    teamHAM wrote:

Well I've got it working, so just in case people don't know I'll mention it:

If the second player doesn't have a gold account it tells you before you go into the game to make it an offline game. So you do that but when you go into the game they cannot look around.

If you make it an online game as one player then enter the world, then turn the second controller on it will ask if you want to make a guest account, choose yes then you enter as "(Gamertag)1" and you can move around as expected. Not an ideal fix but at least that circumvents the bug.
    I had that problem, it bugged me for ages. It's controller sensitivity. Go in with player 2 as normal, bring up the options and change the sensitivity and it will work fine.

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• AcidSnake 22 Jun 2012 08:55:25 7,223 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Ubergine:
    I've never hid the redstone cables and would like to use the solution you mentioned however the train track (that the cables should follow as I want to make a remote switch) is about 30 blocks from the ground at some points I think...So that's pretty unfeasible unless I were to cover the whole track with a sort of ceiling...Which isn't even a bad idea...
    Hmmmm... :)

About the detector rail, yes it does send the signal even with an empty cart I believe but having the user put the cart back on the rail would mean it'd be unusable (as it should really be put back on a powered bit of rail)...It's a problem that's bugging me more and more and I don't have a real solution ready either...
    Though you're of course invited to try in our world :)
    Or to just build stuff...

Yesterday's visitor was AndyC and he had some kind words for what we had made so far...
    I'm really interested to see Brett's tower but after I saved it kicked me out of party and the game started doing weird things so I decided to quit out...I'll see it tonight no doubt...

Secret Project 2 has hit a snag in that unwittingly I've placed it right against the edge of the map and so expanding it will be difficult...That said it did start taking shape quite nicely...Another session and it'll be done I think...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• Mr-Brett 22 Jun 2012 09:20:46 12,723 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well I'm almost done with my tower now so I'll happily tackle the rail next if you like.

I have some ideas...

• AcidSnake 22 Jun 2012 09:35:05 7,223 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That looks very advanced...I'd say go for it...
    Let me know the supplies you need and I'll scrounge them together...I've got something like 100 redstone ready to use and otherwise I'll head back into the mines...

Only problem I can think of is that levers can't be switched from a distance so we can't have a lever with two signs next to it to select the direction...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• Mr-Brett 22 Jun 2012 09:49:22 12,723 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Actually thinking about it there's no need for the layer of redstone below the track, the torches will be enough on their own. I have at least 100 redstone in my quarry too so together we'll probably have enough.

We can use a button, all it needs to do is send a signal to the starting mechanism, so it doesn't need to be sustaind. Although I've now realised there's another issue: if you want signals both ways then the repeaters on top in their current configuration won't work, they're a one way signal so I'll have to tweak that.

• AcidSnake 22 Jun 2012 10:00:17 7,223 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well...The only reason for sending a signal back would be to indicate where the track currently leads to right?...
    Damn...

What about having the same cable line and every 15 instead of having a single repeater we split the cable and have 2 repeaters, one in each direction and immediately after that merge them into a single cable again?

Or a whole network powered by redstone toches and one of those fancy AND gates at the beginning?

• Mr-Brett 22 Jun 2012 10:47:17 12,723 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I found a solution, you can make a two way repeater, it's a little bulky but works.

You have now confused me though :p
    Lets go back to basics here, what's the desired outcome?
    A system to remotely launch a cart at the other end of a rail line?

• AcidSnake 22 Jun 2012 10:54:31 7,223 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Problem A:
    We always need an empty cart at every station even after a user takes a ride the empty cart should be replaced...

Problem B:
    If it's possible a switch would be nice where you can select your destination before hitting the button (possibly by lever)
    So that from central station you can select "garden/farm" or "Projects" for instance and that near the farm there'd be a switch that flips accordingly...Same from the gardens, "central station" or "projects"...But that would be maybe a bit too fancy...

• andytheadequate 22 Jun 2012 10:54:56 8,084 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    This is all too confusing for me. I think I will start work on the best village tonight instead! Can someone show me the mountain that we have decided on?
  • Mr-Brett 22 Jun 2012 11:05:45 12,723 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Problem A could be solved with my older solution, the main problem being that it requires powered rail every 8 blocks (on level ground).

Problem B is an interesting one but really rather complicated. It'd require a lot of circuitry connected up to number of junction switches. I guess how complicated it needs to be depends on how many destinations there would be. Are you thinking of just one launch mechanism at grand central then? or a few and only a couple of destinations from each? (rather than half a dozen from one).

• andyc1980 22 Jun 2012 11:19:48 1,090 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Very impressed with what I saw last night. I started taking the top off a small hill near the treehouse. Next time I visit I'll be finishing what I started. All I know at the minute is its going to be predominantly made of sandstone. Maybe a proper out of a bucket sandcastle.
  • Deleted user 22 June 2012 12:12:25
    Bah, didn't get around to playing in the end last night, will come for a guided tour after the weekend andy (theadequate).

My lad will no doubt want to continue his Big Ben construction at some point over the next two days - methinks he's being a trifle optimistic with is first building ;)
  • andytheadequate 22 Jun 2012 12:44:22 8,084 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @andyc1980 - that sounds like an interesting idea. We have a lot of sandstone in the castle if you want to use it
  • AcidSnake 22 Jun 2012 13:18:05 7,223 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Got some sandstone in the guesthouse too I think...

@AndyTheAdequate:
    Help me finish up the secret project first and then we'll take on that mountain...

@Brett:
    Actually if you can make the first solution work we won't need the second one really...We'll just lay a new track from the garden to the projects with another version of the first solution...

• ubergine 22 Jun 2012 16:04:36 2,113 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I wonder if you could have the "launch" position of the cart (I'll have to try this out) above the level of the track, so that it drops onto powered rail or a slope from a height of (maybe 3 blocks?) so you exit the station that way, but when you arrive at the station your cart goes under or past this drop then drops down one block into a ditch with an "off" powered rail, with track heading up to the and a pressure plate with oh to hell with it

• onestepfromlost 22 Jun 2012 16:12:46 2,039 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    on spindizzys pc world server i think we just had a train station with different tracks going to different areas. I think after fucking about for hours that ended up being the best solution. Unless one of you electronic whizkids can work out the redstone solution to it.
  • andytheadequate 22 Jun 2012 16:45:07 8,084 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm happy to just build extra tracks. Will look more impressive anyway!

Edited by andytheadequate at 16:48:00 22-06-2012
  • ubergine 23 Jun 2012 08:47:37 2,113 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    If you didn't mind the journey stopping and starting, you could just have the cart stop at a piece of powered track where you select the destination then continue on.

You'd probably have to have the track drop off onto another track and the same gling back the other way, to make sure the off-rail sends you in the correct direction when you activate it after selecting the destination.

The end result would resemble an LA highway clover on a smaller scale. I don't actually have any linked rail destinations as yet (all rails lead to central castle but have their own stations there.)

Been experimenting with how you can make a cart drop (while in it) onto a sloped track two blocks below it, (which works) and a system to push the cart up there automatically when you exit (which is turning out to be harder.)

• lucky_jim 23 Jun 2012 09:07:19 5,260 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I bought this yesterday, with the full intention of playing it after the footie. Was quite tired from a hard week's work, so fell asleep when I sat down to watch the match, and opened my eyes when it was about 60 minutes gone.

Only it wasn't. I was so knackered I slept right through the football, and woke up during the 4am repeat showing that they have on Czech telly: but didn't realise it for a good ten minutes because, well, the same thing was on telly that I was watching when I dozed off. :/

I've got a sneaking suspicion I've just bought a game I'm not going to have time for, but I'll have another bash later today!
  • Mr-Brett 23 Jun 2012 16:34:53 12,723 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Brett Solution v2.0

Walls of fiery death not part of design.

Like last time this one works great in PC creative mode, we'll see how it goes on xbox...

The slopes solve the south west rule problem, a cart that hits a sloped rail like that always goes downwards. The second dip is powered by a delay circuit (4 repeaters) that are triggered by the same detector rail that launches the cart that's already in the station.

Edited by Mr-Brett at 16:36:10 23-06-2012

• onestepfromlost 23 Jun 2012 17:20:19 2,039 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    so what will that do? will that be at the station and mean only need one track to go to different places? or will that solve the renewing the cart problem?
  • Mr-Brett 23 Jun 2012 18:16:51 12,723 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah the idea is that there is only ever two carts needed on that rail because when one enters a station the other is sent off to the other station. So nobody needs to carry or place any carts either, there's always one there waiting.

Somewhat predictably BS (Brett Solution) v2.0 didn't work, the work-around for the south-west rule didn't work... :/ BUT I came found another and more fun solution (BS v3) which in preliminary trials is providing very positive results.

• andytheadequate 23 Jun 2012 23:15:25 8,084 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    We should have a sweepstake on what version of the BS will finally work. My guess is 12
  • ubergine 24 Jun 2012 00:07:19 2,113 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    frankly I just have a chest at each station with 4-6 carts in each and encourage people to keep one cart in their inventory anyway.

• Page

of 69 First / Last