Minecraft XBLA Page 65

• Page

of 69 First / Last

• L_Franko Moderator 9 Apr 2013 15:08:53 9,697 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I was looking at Terraria but I couldn't resist Minecraft any longer.
    I was a little shocked to see how long I had been playing this for last night given it felt like I had only just sat down. You could grow very old playing this game.
  • Raiko101 9 Apr 2013 15:19:31 6,712 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    My first 4 or 5 goes on Minecraft with the girlfriend ended up being ten hour stints. You always need to do one more thing in this game.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87 (Dave)
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• ubergine 9 Apr 2013 18:26:28 2,874 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I also took a look at Terraria the last two nights, just the demo. It made me wish that Minecraft had some of the variety Terraria, but I'm really not tempted. Not for one second in Terraria did I get that moment of vision for something I might build. What looked to be fun in it is the metroidvania elements, exploration and resource gathering, but without any desire to build anything with those resources the whole game collapses.

It's also a really badly designed demo, quite frankly, AND I hated the menus and the very act of building in the game, just building the couple of ultra-basic things the demo asks you to do was disproportionately tedious.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ubergine

• S.J.Rogers 10 Apr 2013 08:52:45 3,557 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Did a small bit of strip mining on my map last night and found 12 Diamond blocks, that became 30 with my enchanted Pick, i then found a Mining System with chests and other goodies and then i found a Stronghold with the Ender Portal...!!!

Not bad for 1 hours work.

The Stronghold is actually really close to spawn too..!

This map has the lot...

Also Silverfish can be a REAL pain..!
  • ubergine 10 Apr 2013 09:29:49 2,874 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    big fix coming very soon:

- Fix for Silver LIVE profiles getting an error message on loading a save.
    - Fix for lighting bug causing unlit areas even when light sources were placed in the these areas.
    - Fixed slowdown caused by explosions (TNT and Creepers).
    - Fixed frame rate slowdown in The End being experienced by some players until the Endercrystals were destroyed.
    - Fixed crash when placing lots of Item Frames with Maps inside.
    - Fixed collision box issue at the top of Ladders.
    - Fixed issues with animals taking damage randomly, or falling through the wooden planks floors.
    - Made Dispenser suck water/lava back into an empty bucket.
    - Fix for Potion Bottles being launched from a Dispenser.
    - Enabled placing Pressure Plates on Nether Fence.
    - Fixed an issue with Fire Charges sticking at the edge of the world.
    - Change to not be able to place more than the maximum amount of Paintings/Item Frames, rather than removing previously placed ones.
    - Stop players from interacting with Item Frames and Paintings when ‘Can Build and Mine’ is disabled.
    - Fixed the Custom Skin Animation setting not working.
    - Play the correct sound on hitting the Enderdragon.

***bug fix fucking autocorrect

• L_Franko Moderator 10 Apr 2013 10:08:30 9,697 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've not found any Diamond or gold blocks yet but I did come across a huge network of tunnels while on a mining trip. In this network I found a spider spawn that I ended up blocking up because it seemed for every spider I killed two replaced it, I will build some steel armour and battle my through to destroy the spawn block thing. I then came across a small underground water fall and I was going to try and swim up it to see where I came out to but didn't know how deep it was and was worried about drowning.
    The most impressive thing I found though was after going even deeper into this network I noticed a small opening in the floor which showed a cave big enough to contain a city with most of the floor covered with lava. This thing was massive, I need to work out how to get to the floor of it.
    There is also still another tunnel in this network I haven't explored yet because I ran out of tourches so back to it tonight.
  • S.J.Rogers 10 Apr 2013 10:30:25 3,557 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cool, your welcome to join my world if you like and i can show you around and give you some pointers...
  • ubergine 10 Apr 2013 10:36:26 2,874 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @L_Franko You can "disable" the spider spawner by putting torches on it and around it. It may later be handy as a means to farm experience and resources (string and spider eye in this case).

Some people make automated killing machines around monster spawners but I prefer to build a themed arena around it then beat them to death in a fair fight. Or as fair as it can be with enchanter armour, weapons and potion buffs...

• S.J.Rogers 10 Apr 2013 11:11:47 3,557 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Very True...

I have made a little battering window around my Zombie spawner. It just means that i can stand there, and swipe at their feet and kill them off without them touching me.

Its a very easy and safe way to get loads of XP. Oh and rotten flesh (ie, dog food)...

Having a spider spawner would be great for string (Fishing rods and bows) and spider eyes (Fermented spider eye, for potions)...
  • Raiko101 10 Apr 2013 11:25:12 6,712 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've never thought about doing anything like that, myself. I remember building a shallow river around my house once. It would collect up any enemies and force them to one end, ready for me to attack at safe distance. The plan was to build a few pistons to flatten them on a daily basis, but I was too new to figure it all out at the time.

• timetraveler 10 Apr 2013 13:47:58 61 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    How many Xbox Live Points do I need to get Minecraft?
  • S.J.Rogers 10 Apr 2013 13:49:48 3,557 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think its 1200...

It was for me.
  • S.J.Rogers 10 Apr 2013 13:50:28 3,557 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh, and that's a bargain for the amount of time you will be playing it..!
  • L_Franko Moderator 10 Apr 2013 14:04:45 9,697 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Standard price is 1600 points on xbox.

That might seem like a lot, well it is, but you will get a lot of game time for that price. It is the kind of game you could play on and off for the rest of your life.

Edited by L_Franko at 14:06:57 10-04-2013
  • SomaticSense 10 Apr 2013 14:24:29 9,155 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ubergine wrote:
    I also took a look at Terraria the last two nights, just the demo. It made me wish that Minecraft had some of the variety Terraria, but I'm really not tempted. Not for one second in Terraria did I get that moment of vision for something I might build. What looked to be fun in it is the metroidvania elements, exploration and resource gathering, but without any desire to build anything with those resources the whole game collapses.

It's also a really badly designed demo, quite frankly, AND I hated the menus and the very act of building in the game, just building the couple of ultra-basic things the demo asks you to do was disproportionately tedious.
    To be frank, there's too much shit in Terraria that it seems a bit overwhelming, the menus are terrible and needlessly confusing, it controls dreadfully with a control pad, and with the insane 1200 Moon Points price it means you could (and should) get it for about 5 times cheaper on PC.

Edited by SomaticSense at 14:24:55 10-04-2013
  • ubergine 10 Apr 2013 16:43:28 2,874 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    You can also make wool from spider string. That was pretty much only useful in TU5 when sheep wouldn't spawn.

I agree about the menus in Terraria. I think they should have separated crafting from inventory and also made it so you can see how much of a particular resource you have when looking at the craftable item, instead of having to push extra buttons to get that info. eg "Torches" "Requires 1 wood (37), 1 gel (5)" where the number in brackets is your store.

Anything that reduces the number of steps in an interface is obviously better, and that would reduce thousands of steps, because it seems obvious to me that people would want to easily know "how many torches can I make?" without having to fuck around.

• L_Franko Moderator 10 Apr 2013 17:02:23 9,697 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I have a quick question that I could answer myself with about 2mins of gameplay but - If I have a chest with stuff in it and I mine it so I can place it in another location will all the stuff still be inside or do you lose it?
  • elephantjuice 10 Apr 2013 17:30:22 791 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @L_Franko

You won't lose it.

FYI if you didn't know already you can make a 'double chest' by placing x2 single chests side by side.
  • Raiko101 10 Apr 2013 17:43:31 6,712 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @L_Franko To expand on that ever so slightly. You wont lose anything, but it will all fall on the floor, so make sure you've got room to pick it all up!

• L_Franko Moderator 10 Apr 2013 18:18:56 9,697 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ah ok cheers chaps. I was wondering if I could increase my carry load.
  • SomaticSense 10 Apr 2013 19:58:29 9,155 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @ubergine Terraria's menus probably would've been fine had I not already put a crazy amount of hours into 360 Minecraft doing broadly the same thing and it not being a pain in the arse.

4J really deserve a lot of credit for the lesson they served to other devs regarding controls and interfaces when porting to console from PC.
  • billythekid 14 Apr 2013 14:18:03 11,397 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I had a lovely log cabin in the snow and I decided it needed a roaring fire.
    I got one :(
  • Raiko101 14 Apr 2013 14:26:56 6,712 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Haha. Yeah, don't play with the fire unless you're making a portal with it. My girlfriend burnt down a few hours work just to see what would happen. The Autosave was well timed...

• ubergine 14 Apr 2013 23:53:08 2,874 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've put fireplaces into my snowy wooden chateaus, red bricks with iron bars in front of the flames. I did have to rejigger a few times as fire would get out but it's stable now and looks great. People always want the bedrooms with the fireplaces in.

• Khanivor 15 Apr 2013 12:56:16 41,261 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    In getting back into this but havin a hard time finding fun seeds. Any suggestions?
  • S.J.Rogers 15 Apr 2013 13:57:33 3,557 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Any news on the lighting fix ubergine..?
  • ubergine 15 Apr 2013 15:05:50 2,874 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    We know the patch is in cert testing because they released the patch notes last week. I'm hoping its out ASAP.

@Khanivor

Depends on what you find fun - of TU9 seeds so far I'm most partial to The Amber Spyglass - though you might find finding the abandoned mineshaft quite challenging.

One that is much easier to find, and a seed that is fun, is the seed fun - the mineshaft is in a cave right under the spawn point. so those were:

The Amber Spyglass

and

fun

• S.J.Rogers 15 Apr 2013 15:47:29 3,557 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thanks...
  • ubergine 16 Apr 2013 03:15:19 2,874 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    from the official twitter:

TU10 has passed Microsoft Cert test, and will be released on Tuesday 16th April. Starts rolling out around 10am UK time. #MinecraftXBLA

• Page

of 69 First / Last