Minecraft XBLA Page 62

• Page

of 68 First / Last

• Deleted user 25 December 2012 11:23:02
    What's a good effective mob trap? I've found a skeleton spawner, I've managed to block off the room but so far the traps I've tried haven't worked. I tried using a piston to squash them, but the phase through blocks when they do stand in the right place. Got a couple of dispensors shooting arrows, but don't have enough yet so they run out too soon to kill the buggers.
  • ubergine 28 Dec 2012 01:56:29 1,279 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've noticed most people seem to make a thing that drowns them somehow.

Personaly I just make a simple addition to the dungeon and kill them myself with a sword. Hopefully I'll get a "smite" enchantment soon to make that even easier.

Since they changed skeleton arrow firing I had to change the design a bit, but this works for zombies well:

on one side of their room, place a row of staircases they can easily walk up, then on the other side have them drop down two blocks, but put slabs along the bottom so they are really dropping down 1.5 blocks. then have a row of blocks that prevent them moving forwards at their head-height. As they spawn they will see you and come over the stairs, which should also prevent them (and their loot) being knocked back (attack them at an angle to further prevent knockback).

With the skeletons I think I have to now only have them come over the staircase and drop a single block, because of the way their arrows fire now. you just have to attack them from an angle to try and prevent them knocking back over the stairs.

I'll see if I can find a picture of one.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ubergine

• Mr-Brett 28 Dec 2012 09:24:19 12,681 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    A popular method is to drop them from a great height. You use a 'water ladder' which is a sign with a water block above, then another sign and another water, repeat. This is done in a 1 block space and because the mobs are always moving they hit the water and the wall and start going up, when they get high enough you just open it up and either have a piston on constantly* or just give them no other option but to fall off I guess.

If you want to see a ludicrous one then search for a blaze farm.

*This would need to be turned on of course since things can't be on constantly on xbox.

Portable view - Never forget.

• ubergine 28 Dec 2012 11:40:18 1,279 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Something I didn't know: take stacks of snowballs into the nether.

you can kill blazes with them

• ubergine 5 Jan 2013 11:29:34 1,279 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    There's a patch coming sometime in the next month which should improve Nether Fortress generation. Currently, not every seed has one, so if you like to play in survival (as I do) it will be impossible to ever make potions unless you have 1) a nether fortress with 2) a blaze spawner and 3) a nether wort farm.

I've used creative mode to check scores of seeds and it seemed like 1 in 10 had everything needed (but then the terrain might have been rubbish.)

Anyway, the best seed I found after many tries was

aubergine

which has some great overworld terrain, epic stronghold, 3 villages, several epic mineshafts and a huge nether fortress with a blaze spawner and two wort farms. There is a small cave near the spawn point which leads straight to the stronghold and a huge ravine, which has diamonds exposed at the bottom, enough to make an enchanting table straight away. There's a lot of other terrific going on in the seed as well.

• Khanivor 5 Jan 2013 14:30:27 39,907 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Will try that oit. Not played in months so lots of new shot to look forward to
  • ubergine 5 Jan 2013 16:25:40 1,279 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've been maintaining a pretty detailed post about it on the seeds thread at Minecraft forums. It's probably worth using one of the tested seeds from the thread at least until the patch (unless you want to check them yourself for nether forts, mineshafts etc)

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1610883-tu7-mcxbla-seeds-list/page__st__20#entry19863859

• ubergine 6 Jan 2013 07:37:58 1,279 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Okay, if you're someone who likes to play purely on survival - never using creative - I'm going to go right ahead and recommend you don't bother playing until the patch later this month.

It appears the chances of blaze spawn blocks appearing in a suitable nether fortress are random, so even if you get a seed with a good fort, you are not 100% guaranteed to get a spawner. No blazes = no potions.

Unless you've got as much free time as I have and you don't mind getting to the nether eventually and potentially discovering you have no blazes (and having to roll the seed again or use creative mode...) then just wait for them to fix it in a few weeks.

• Sarahshade 11 Jan 2013 11:48:04 139 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    After avoiding Minecraft for so long I have downloaded the Demo.. it better be as good as everyone has made out.

Xbox gamertag: Sarah Doherty22
    Steam: Sarahshade1
    3DS: 0903-3840-7897

• andytheadequate 11 Jan 2013 11:49:51 7,972 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Sarahshade wrote:
    After avoiding Minecraft for so long I have downloaded the Demo.. it better be as good as everyone has made out.
    Do you like the idea of unlimited Lego? With a survival element to it? It not then you won't like it, if you do you'll love it. I find it's best played in co op too
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 11 Jan 2013 11:53:38 6,654 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yep, I've never played it tbh. The bioshock video is great but I'm not particularly creative though.
  • Sarahshade 11 Jan 2013 12:05:31 139 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @bitch_tits_zero_nine I cant take what you say seriously with a username like that lol

Xbox gamertag: Sarah Doherty22
    Steam: Sarahshade1
    3DS: 0903-3840-7897

• bitch_tits_zero_nine 11 Jan 2013 12:10:09 6,654 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah, I need to change it tbh. Makes me seem like a misogynist that is obsessed with sci-fi tbh.
  • agparrot 11 Jan 2013 12:25:29 11,903 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    Sarahshade wrote:
    Do you like the idea of unlimited Lego? With a survival element to it? It not then you won't like it, if you do you'll love it. I find it's best played in co op too
    Think andy hits the nail on the head here really.

I've been playing much more Minecraft XBLA since the release of the new version-y thing. I scalped a Seed with a bit of everything in it from the Minecraft forum thread ubergine mentioned earlier, and have been having an amusing time, sometimes with friends and sometimes just chilling on my own, mucking around with the potion brewing, blaze-spawners, item-enchanting and all that shiny new stuff, while finding that it's much easier to make multiple nether portals work now.

The game still doesn't really have any direction, and I think I wish they'd included a few more redstone things, like redstone lamps in the update, but I can't really complain because it's been mostly relaxing fun. You can still make it exciting, exploring the cave systems, dark ravines and Strongholds (if you can find one!) of the new update, but it's definitely a game that you'll either like, or not like.

There's nothing wrong with that though, all games are subject to our tastes and preferences. I can completely understand how some people might find the directionless, repetitive block-breaking and placing at the core of the game just isn't for them.
  • MatMan562 11 Jan 2013 13:15:06 1,938 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Sarahshade wrote:
    When I first played Minecraft my reaction was a distinct "meh", I could completely see the appeal to it but it just wasn't for me. But when I downloaded the demo on 360 and played the tutorial and it had me building a house it just kind of clicked.

Since then i've realised that the important thing is setting your own objectives. When I first played I just wandered around aimlessly but once i'd built a house I had things to do because I wanted to upgrade it, to extend it and to fortify it and to do all that properly I had to mine, explore and do everything else that's in the game.

Now i'd say it's probably one of my favourite games!

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• HandsomeCrab 23 Jan 2013 17:59:47 276 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Quick question: I have a seed that I had from the very beginning. I've got bugger all passive mobs since the patch that messed up them spawning. Is there a way to get them to spawn again? If I do find the odd lonely cow around could I "farm" them (and then free them)to a point where I might have a similar amount roaming around to before said patch?

GT: carlmadin

• ubergine 23 Jan 2013 18:22:09 1,279 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Have you played it lately? Passive mobs spawn like a plague at the moment. They really stuffed that up: turned spawns down without breeding, then introduced breeding but ramped spawns right up to crazy levels.

• HandsomeCrab 24 Jan 2013 20:56:37 276 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Post deleted

• HandsomeCrab 24 Jan 2013 20:59:39 276 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @ubergine Yeah, I started a new seed (aubergine, incidentally) and they're bloody everywhere. I decided to visit an old seed and bugger all.

• ubergine 24 Jan 2013 21:10:44 1,279 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    A possible explanation could be biome change. If you get the seed for your original world and generate a fresh copy of it, you might find it is all ocean now, or desert.

If there is a mushroom biome in a new version of an old seed, you can go there in your old map and mooshrooms can spawn.

• HandsomeCrab 24 Jan 2013 21:51:01 276 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ah, that must be it. I spent weeks building a palatial log cabin in the snow only for it to rain after the patch!

• ubergine 25 Jan 2013 02:00:54 1,279 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    You may find it helpful to make the new copy of the seed and do a flyover in creative, to see where mobs are likely to spawn in your old world.

• AcidSnake 25 Jan 2013 08:28:05 7,145 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Another thing is there's a limit to the number of wolves you can befriend before mobs stop spawning...It was around 20 I think...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• teamHAM 25 Jan 2013 08:44:54 2,411 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Has this patch happened yet that people are talking about? Was going to get back into this but don't want to if patches are incoming.

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Games for Windows Live Gamertag: teamHAM

• ubergine 25 Jan 2013 09:15:07 1,279 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Well you're shit out of luck then, they patch it every month or so. Current one seems to be a bit delayed, probably by that stupid holiday thing recently. I was hoping it would be this week, but no go.

With the current version ("title update 7" ) "complete" seeds are hard to get, due to a problem with nether fortress generation they aim to fix in the next patch ("title update 8" ) There ARE some great seeds but its hard to get them at random.

That said, many people don't care about the other features than just building.

I'm told FRINGE is a great seed, haven't looked yet. I'm using aubergine as a seed, and it's pretty terrific, I've looked through scores of seeds and haven't seen a better one yet.

Edited by ubergine at 09:16:03 25-01-2013

• Raiko101 25 Jan 2013 10:22:34 5,580 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    What are these seeds you speak of? I thought we were talking about actual seeds
    , like wheat seeds. :/

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• AcidSnake 25 Jan 2013 10:37:32 7,145 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Raiko101:
    Haha, no...That's just another name for the unique name you can give at the beginning to generate your world from...
    It defaults to a random one, or you can specify your own and know that if you ever re-enter the same "seed" you'll get the exact same world...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• teamHAM 25 Jan 2013 10:40:50 2,411 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    ubergine wrote:
    Well you're shit out of luck then, they patch it every month or so. Current one seems to be a bit delayed, probably by that stupid holiday thing recently. I was hoping it would be this week, but no go.

I was specifically talking about this:

ubergine wrote:
    Okay, if you're someone who likes to play purely on survival - never using creative - I'm going to go right ahead and recommend you don't bother playing until the patch later this month.

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Games for Windows Live Gamertag: teamHAM

• HandsomeCrab 25 Jan 2013 10:58:52 276 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    AcidSnake wrote:
    Another thing is there's a limit to the number of wolves you can befriend before mobs stop spawning...It was around 20 I think...
    Is that 20 wolves total or 20 wolves at once? I've definitely tamed 20 wolves in total but never at once. I think I only have two at the minute ever since Sparkles fell down that mine and Gaston the 4th drowned...

• AcidSnake 25 Jan 2013 11:02:07 7,145 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @HandsomeCrab:
    No no, at once...It was about 20 anyway, I had to murder three of them just to spawn in some sheep again...

• Page

of 68 First / Last