Minecraft XBLA Page 54

• Page

of 69 First / Last

• ubergine 23 Sep 2012 16:38:51 2,290 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @AcidSnake Shutting off after sleeping is the best idea since you know guests must be somewhere safe. It was alarming for a moment though because is doesn't say "saving" if you save and exit, it just says "The host has left the game" although I quickly figured that you saved and quit.

If there's any chance of getting a "5 mins" or "last day" message that would be great, because I could make sure I'm somewhere safe then exit.

I only just earlier discovered this iPhone Xbox app and you can type messages on it and send over live. A MILLION times easier and faster than trying to use the controller or even that chatpad thing.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ubergine

• AcidSnake 24 Sep 2012 00:58:38 7,233 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Will do...

So far no luck with the cobblestone generator...one obsidian block and a few cobblestone blocks on the wrong side of the piston...But I have a good idea of how to solve it...

I had a crazy idea today about making a huge red stone clock with simple read-out, but other than the fact I wouldn't now where to begin it would stop being calibrated as soon as you sleep...also if I made it visible to all it'd be pretty clear what time of day it is anyway...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• andytheadequate 24 Sep 2012 11:14:53 8,108 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I need inspiration for what to build next. I'm considering building a brick house at the spawn point, or maybe another sports pitch (although not the stadium this time). Any ideas?
  • AcidSnake 24 Sep 2012 11:20:36 7,233 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    With spawn point you mean down at ground level?
    Otherwise we already have the village/guesthouse there...

If you're not busy I'd build support struts under the road that leads to the library...It's a bit too floaty now...

All out of other ideas though...I'll fix the cobblestone generator and then head back to the mega project...
    Maybe build an underground railway between the desert and the megaproject too...

Or finally connect the projects to the harbour and plant carts everywhere...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• andytheadequate 24 Sep 2012 11:53:01 8,108 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    That's a good idea actually. It could probably do with a few columns but will be a bit of a pain to do I imagine.

I meant the spawn point at the bottom of the valley, we have a ladder up to the village but no house there yet. Might build one next to lake
  • Mr-Brett 24 Sep 2012 15:48:13 12,743 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Are you on tonight Acid? I keep meaning to jump on but keep getting distracted.

Obviously I haven't seen you cobble generator design but maybe this'll help:
    Water source/flow touches Lava source -> Obsidian
    Lava source/flow touches Water source -> Stone
    Either flow touches other flow -> Cobblestone

Edited by Mr-Brett at 15:48:43 24-09-2012

Portable view - Never forget.

• ubergine 25 Sep 2012 04:45:14 2,290 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I started laying foundations for some-kind-of ice-thing in Acid world the other night, here's something from the dark world though, a little church I built as part of experimenting with how much room you need to place a light source inside an ice building.

Two things of interest came up - one, don't try and build things too close to the very edge of the world, because water in particular was behaving VERY strangely (invisible or of glitchy appearance until it froze into a normal-looking block) and the other is that you can use an above-ground ice block as a periscope to let you see underwater and ice more easily - useful if you are searching for say clay deposits beneath the ice sheet. Look to the left in this pic to see what I mean:

I found that if you just drop a single water source block on the ice sheet (which will flow everywhere of course) then come back later when it is frozen, you can peer into its side and see what's under the ice. I have another world with a huge frozen lake area and it's helping a bit, although the fact that glass and ice create shadows on any solid block they are adjacent to is not making it easy, hopefully they will patch that back out again!

• AcidSnake 25 Sep 2012 09:05:22 7,233 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Brett:
    Sorry, didn't see your message yesterday...I did connect, but for a short while...I'll probably be on tonight if all goes according to plan...
    The thing about the stone I didn't know, are you sure it does this on 360 as well?
    Though it's a moot point I think, as once you've made stone you need to harvest it anyway so it'll turn to cobblestone anyway...

Anyone know a way of smashing stone automatically with pistons so they become pick-ups?

But anyway, rejoice! My cobblestone generator is working beautifully...Push a button and a new row of 6 blocks is pushed out...It does this 12 times though you can only mine the first 9 rows easily...
    Only problem is you need to manually press a button 9 times (not that big a deal I'd wager) but it would be great if somehow you could just make an on/off switch instead...I'd need someway of turning an on current into pulses...

The tree farm right next to it is working great as well, I think I've fluked the right height so the trees will grow various sizes but not enormous, so harvesting means leaving just one block at the base, jumping on that and you can reach every block the tree might have made...

Now I just need to make things a bit more aesthetically pleasing and then I can start work on the Cobblestone Express...Chestcarts filled with cobblestone delivered directly to a nearby station!
    All at the modest price of: "mine and send it yourself"!

Does anyone know if Chestcarts need powered rail every 8 blocks as well?

• CrimsonSoul 25 Sep 2012 09:47:52 23 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I followed this design and it works pretty well: Cobblestone Generator. The redstone generates a pulse while the lever is on and will push cobblestone out till it reaches the limit a piston can push.

Edited by CrimsonSoul at 09:49:13 25-09-2012
  • AcidSnake 25 Sep 2012 09:53:42 7,233 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That's sort of the design I'm using but flipped by 90 degrees so as to allow a row of 6 water and 6 lava for mass production...
    That pulse thing looks like it might work, but if you turn off the lever does it stop producing cobblestone or does the circuit power itself?

• Mr-Brett 25 Sep 2012 10:04:39 12,743 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Behold!

@Acid
    You can't smash stone with pistons only a pickaxe.
    The same rules will apply for chestcarts as empty carts I believe but I haven't tried it. The other option is powered carts but that'll end up costing a lot of coal or charcoal.

• CrimsonSoul 25 Sep 2012 10:07:15 23 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've only built it once (and then from memory so I can't testify to it accurately matching the video) but when you flick the lever it stops the piston.

I've seen you online a few times but not found the time to join the game. Hopefully I can get on soon and see some of this building goodness. I'm not much of a builder, more of a miner/resource gatherer so maybe I could help out with some tunnels on the underground railway?

I recently joined a game which had a crazy large sandstone pyramid - sea level to the build cap. What makes it more impressive is no duping!
  • AcidSnake 25 Sep 2012 10:08:11 7,233 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Brett:
    Hooray for that link!

Are you sure about the piston smashing thing?
    I found this:
    Though I'm not sure what piston that guy is using...

• Mr-Brett 25 Sep 2012 10:34:22 12,743 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think that must be an early version of the piston, before it was properly textured. I just tried the same thing and it doesn't seem to work anymore, I guess the rules have changed.

• CrimsonSoul 25 Sep 2012 10:34:50 23 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I can't see the links above as work block YouTube and Imgur but I'm guessing they're about cobblestone mining?

I think the original piston mod (before they were included officially) smashed blocks ratcher than shunted them. There are other mods out for the PC that do similar things.

I did see a video for the PC version where someone just wedged a DVD under their space bar so they swung the pickaxe constantly. I guess we could do the equivalent with an Xbox controller.
  • AcidSnake 25 Sep 2012 10:41:38 7,233 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Brett:
    Damn...It's not necessary of course, but it would be nice if you just flipped a switch and you could place yourself under a shower of cobblestone (or at that point regular stone)...

@CrimsonSoul:
    Yeah, I've seen you on as well...You're always welcome and Andy is currently working on building a house down in the valley near the spawn point...Our spawn point is a bit ridiculous because it's located right next to a huge cliff...So sometimes people spawn in the village, sometimes outside and sometimes about 70/80 blocks down...

• andytheadequate 25 Sep 2012 14:06:00 8,108 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I stumbled into ubergine's half finished creation whilst exploring the other day. Have to say that it looks impressive, and it is in a very interesting part of the world which should be developed more. Loads of huge natural archways that are begging for a railway to be made through them.

I'm enjoying making my house by the side of the spawn point. I'm trying to make it prettier than my normal stuff (which isn't difficult). Shame no one will see it unless they've just spawned into the world!
  • AcidSnake 25 Sep 2012 14:24:13 7,233 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Andy:
    Actually, the other side of that lake is actually on a direct line between your stadium and the library...
    Now if someone wanted to make a road to connect those two it would be slightly more visited...

• andytheadequate 25 Sep 2012 16:10:27 8,108 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I quite like the secluded lakeside location so probably won't connect it. Might build a mini harbour and a boat there too, and maybe a small farm
  • ubergine 25 Sep 2012 19:16:32 2,290 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Here's a thread about someone moaning about some nonsense, but what's interesting are the screen captures of creative mode menus. You can see some of the new blocks we'll have to work with soon, like iron bars, brick slabs and staircases, stone staircases, fence gates etc.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1491633-creative-menu-needs-to-be-fixed-screenshots-show-proof/

• AcidSnake 26 Sep 2012 10:01:47 7,233 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Finished the aesthetic part of the generator yesterday though I'm now thinking of putting in a glass wall internally to show what the generator is actually doing...

I've started work on the railway heading to the megaproject which will take me a while but I think it's for the best as I'm fast running out of inspiration...I'm going to need a lot of gold...As a plus I hope it'll attract more people in as that length of rail should pop the achievement for those who don't have it...

• andytheadequate 26 Sep 2012 10:16:05 8,108 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Did we ever finish the library? After I've done the columns for my gloating road I'm not too sure what to do. Perhaps we could create a new village in a different part or the map and connect it by road.
  • AcidSnake 26 Sep 2012 10:27:21 7,233 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I have half an idea, but nothing too serious...Maybe find a way to use those natural arches you mentioned near the valley?

Or maybe finally making some TNT and blowing the valley into shape...

We've still to touch the island in the southwest and everything east...

• andytheadequate 26 Sep 2012 10:42:48 8,108 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Shall we explore east and create a new settlement there, after we've finished our current projects?
  • AcidSnake 26 Sep 2012 10:45:36 7,233 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not much to explore though, it's just a huge mountain where we'd built a shelter once...But hey, at least we can put it on the map...

• CrimsonSoul 26 Sep 2012 11:31:33 23 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Is this all being achieved 'au naturel' or is there some duping going on?
  • AcidSnake 26 Sep 2012 11:33:39 7,233 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well, I wouldn't have built a cobblestone generator if I could just duplicate it :)

• andytheadequate 26 Sep 2012 12:07:01 8,108 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    We were a bit naughty with clay as we are still on the original world where clay is very rare. We had found some but duplicated some of it so we could actually use it. Only built a small house from it so hardly taking advantage of the glitch though. Basically we used a glitch to counter a glitch that prevented clay from being generated.

Everything else in our world has been done the hard way.
  • CrimsonSoul 26 Sep 2012 12:10:23 23 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Good point, though you might have built it just for the challenge ;-)
  • sanctusmortis 26 Sep 2012 12:12:50 9,627 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What I'm loving most about the XBLA Minecraft is watching people get excited for features that the PC users got excited about back in the day.
  • Page

of 69 First / Last