Minecraft XBLA Page 5

• Page

of 69 First / Last

• phoopipe 11 May 2012 00:10:53 1,434 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just put wood flooring upstairs and downstairs along with a nice new balcony, The house is looking good.
    One and a half hours it's taken.

Still aint sure why i like this game.
  • Deleted user 11 May 2012 00:18:57
    DFawkes wrote:Has to spread from other grass. I usually have to make stairs out of dirt leading from the grassy ground up to my floating dirt structures to get it to spread properly. It's a pain, but that's how it is.
    Thanks DFawkes. Will give it a go tomorrow.
  • Deleted user 11 May 2012 08:07:57
    The online seems to work very well in this.

Spent an hour or so helping out evilashchris last night, me frantically looking for sheep to make a bed while chris made glass windows for his cabin.

Tiny bit of lag at one point but nothing too problematic. It was nice having someone else to concentrate on gathering other resources to what you are focusing on.

Basic stuff so far, maybe, but I really enjoyed it :)
  • evilashchris 11 May 2012 08:13:50 7,150 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I was up until 2am. I was making a basement shortly after you left, now I have a mine system :D

Twitter: @COToole

• hypoBla5t 11 May 2012 08:22:55 1,572 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Waaaaat? It has online MP as well as local?

Also, and apologies if this has been asked before, how much smaller is the XBLA version? Am I going to be able to travel / dig down / build up noticeably less far than on PC?
  • Deleted user 11 May 2012 08:33:18
    evilashchris wrote:
    I was up until 2am. I was making a basement shortly after you left, now I have a mine system :D
    Is it a kinky dungeon? I can just imagine you getting told that the iron maiden wasn't in the right place from your mrs ;)
  • Deleted user 11 May 2012 08:57:15
    @andytheadequate What stuff do you wanna build? I can pop over and give you a hand if you'd like? :) I think I can remember most stuff from playing the PC version.

MatMan562 wrote:
    As I have nothing to do tomorrow, i'm planning a Minecraft day and i've just thought of something else I was unsure of from the demo. Is it possible to run out of things? So if I "mined" all the trees and didn't plant any more would I forever be out of wood or would some trees appear somewhere at random?
    I am fairly sure that the game will randomly generate trees and resources somewhere in the world. Anyway, it would take you a long, long time to mine all the resources. To be honest I'm sure you'd be pretty bored of it all by then.

@hypoBla5t I couldn't tell you at the moment how much smaller the world is really. I'll try and go exploring a bit later, but I'd certainly say it's still big enough to get lost it! I really don't think it's something to worry about, it's plenty big enough.

Edited by Apostle at 09:00:53 11-05-2012

Edited by Apostle at 09:03:00 11-05-2012
  • glo 11 May 2012 09:59:03 3,438 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Created my first world last night and managed to survive the first few days (after a few mistakes). Got myself a cave based shelter with all the basics required for survival (bed, furnace, crafting bench, chest) and now collecting resources required for a more permanent home.

Explored the local area. As a non pc player, the map seems pretty large to me. Wandered a fair distance from my base to the closest edge of the map and I barely made it back to my cave within a day. This still only covered a very small proportion of the map (less than a 1/10th).

It is surprisingly terrifying when the sun starts goes down...
  • Blerk Moderator 11 May 2012 10:10:04 48,225 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Is it actually confirmed that the world is much smaller than the PC version, then? None of the reviews I've seen have even mentioned that. What happens when you get to the 'edge'?

The maps aren't a good indication of world size, incidentally. They only ever show you a portion of the world, not the full thing.
  • Blerk Moderator 11 May 2012 10:12:47 48,225 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Answered my own question:
    Unlike the PC version, each world in the Xbox 360 Edition is currently limited to 1024 by 1024 blocks. This is approximately the size of an in-game map.
    ... and negated my previous statement about the in-game maps to boot.

Did I just pwn myself? Oh, man!
  • NOSAVIOUR 11 May 2012 10:34:26 2,810 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is it best to play this on lowest difficulty so no zombies/creepers etc ruin what you have built? Or does that totally miss the point. Couldn't believe how much this game scared me at night when I played the demo yesterday.
  • phoopipe 11 May 2012 10:37:35 1,434 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Im playing on default (easy) and i have only been killed once and never had my building blown up.

Was actually tempted to see what difference a higher difficulty would make as i like the panic.
  • andytheadequate 11 May 2012 10:37:38 8,353 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Apostle- Anything that isn't made from wood, stone or glass! I can never seem to find any bloody iron. I won't be online for a couple of weeks so hopefully everyone will still be playing it then

Edited by andytheadequate at 10:43:52 11-05-2012
  • Blerk Moderator 11 May 2012 10:38:38 48,225 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The PC version has a difficulty mode where if/when you die it actually deletes your world. :)
  • phoopipe 11 May 2012 10:39:37 1,434 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    The PC version has a difficulty mode where if/when you die it actually deletes your world. :).gif" class="smilie" alt=":)" />
    That would create panic :)
  • NOSAVIOUR 11 May 2012 10:41:36 2,810 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I like the sound of that but damn would I be pissed.
  • sanctusmortis 11 May 2012 10:44:59 9,796 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That mode's not too bad if you have TooManyItems: give yourself diamond gear to start and nothing else, and then switch the mod off. Gives you a starting chance without ruining it.
  • glo 11 May 2012 11:00:39 3,438 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    NOSAVIOUR wrote:
    Is it best to play this on lowest difficulty so no zombies/creepers etc ruin what you have built? Or does that totally miss the point. Couldn't believe how much this game scared me at night when I played the demo yesterday.
    I turned up the difficulty to normal (can't bring myself to play games on easy unless forced) and it seems fine so far. Definite survival feel to it, if you get cocky or too adventurous things can go horribly wrong very quickly.

However, I imagine that if you are more interested in building stuff then it would be sensible to turn down the difficulty to reduce frustration. Creepers can be very annoying and destructive, if only they burnt up in the sunlight like most of the other monsters.
  • glo 11 May 2012 11:02:01 3,438 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    The PC version has a difficulty mode where if/when you die it actually deletes your world. :)
    Isn't that 'hardcore' mode? I am sure that I saw an online review that showed that mode as being present in the xbox version.
  • delbert 11 May 2012 12:00:47 2,893 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Had a blast in this last night, wasn't going to buy it day one but all your stories in here pushed me over the edge!

I built a cave with door, window and bed (and a rather off putting groaning wall) in the first day which proved to be "nasty"-tight so I then started to build a nice wood house with big windows, skylight etc. Eventually when I finished this and spent my first night in it it turned out to not be secure so I got attacked all night. Not sure why they got in tho is it buggy?

Anyway next morning I was confronted by 2 exploding green things (spoilered just in case) who blew my house to bits!

So I'm now back to living in my cave and thought I would try mining instead to improve my stores.. Quick Q is it random whether you get ore from the ore blocks as I have mined loads of iron ore but cant see any in my inventory? (or am I being blind?)

Edited by delbert at 12:01:53 11-05-2012
  • phoopipe 11 May 2012 12:19:42 1,434 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You have to put the ore in the cooker thingy.
  • phoopipe 11 May 2012 12:20:14 1,434 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Post deleted
  • wobbler147 11 May 2012 12:20:51 5,152 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    NOSAVIOUR wrote:
    Same here, had a wonder about and then went into one of the houses in the village as it got dark. I turned round and saw a creeper staring at me through the window and nearly shit myself!
  • delbert 11 May 2012 12:24:34 2,893 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    phoopipe wrote:
    You have to put the ore in the cooker thingy.
    Yeah but I'd expect to see Iron Ore blocks in my inventory and (possible stupidity aside) I couldn't see any??
  • richardiox 11 May 2012 12:29:17 5,734 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You have to manually move the newly forged iron ingots from the output section of the furnace screen into your inventory.
  • delbert 11 May 2012 12:37:44 2,893 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @richardiox sorry I've not gone that far my problem seems to be that I am mining what the game told me was iron ore blocks but nothing is going into my inventory that I can see (dont even hear the noise associated with picking up stuff) so I wondered if it was a random event whether a block yielded ore?
  • agparrot 11 May 2012 12:38:06 11,903 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think delbert you just need to put your cursor over your inventory, and you will see that some of the blocks that look a bit like cobblestone actually are Iron Ore.

I nearly joined your world last night, I went on a quick jaunt around some other people's games before settling in to make my stilt rock house in the middle of a deep lake.

It got me to thinking that I need to make signposts for my stuff, so that guests know which stuff they can freely take and use from chests, and which stuff I'm holding on to for a reason.
  • agparrot 11 May 2012 12:39:13 11,903 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    delbert wrote:
    @richardiox sorry I've not gone that far my problem seems to be that I am mining what the game told me was iron ore blocks but nothing is going into my inventory that I can see (dont even hear the noise associated with picking up stuff) so I wondered if it was a random event whether a block yielded ore?
    Hmm. You have to use a stone pickaxe or better, I think, to actually get the ore.
  • delbert 11 May 2012 12:50:48 2,893 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @agparrot That sounds like my problem as I was using wood and it was taking forever, didn't know you could make those, I thought the next option was an iron one, hence my quest for iron! Ta

Nothing exciting in my world as yet so you didn't miss much.. saying that I haven't really explored due to being afraid of the dark and the groaning ;)

So is your presence in other players world persistent i.e. does your inventory stay the same if you pop in and out or do you need to stash stuff in chests if you are trying to aim towards something?
  • TheSaint 11 May 2012 12:56:03 14,827 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So this passed me by a bit but I downloaded the demo last night and enjoyed it.

One thing that confuses me though is the long term aim. Is the idea of the game that you just keeping building nicer homes or does it have a long term goal?
  • Page

of 69 First / Last