Soul Sacrifice Page 15

• Page

of 18 First / Last

• Gregolution 9 May 2013 08:19:38 3,313 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Well... I played this for 4 hours straight last night.... and I ended up dreaming about it.... and then played more on the tube this morning.... and right now I'm thinking about it... and looking forward to playing it on the way home.

It's definitely got something about it!

Some of these fiendishly tough archfiend fights are pure gaming joy. And I don't have to spend hours grinding through mobs to get to the boss, I turn on the game and go straight to him. I like this very much.
  • FanBoysSuck 9 May 2013 09:49:07 1,489 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    @FanBoysSuck

The attacks feel a bit sluggish in the same way they do in monster hunter, to force you to time your attacks properly.

Regarding your previous complaint about health bar, you should be using minds eye (down on control pad)
    Yeah the minds eye thing was already cleared up, as was everything else I brought up previously.

I'm just going to call it a day on this one. I thought monster hunter had rubbish gameplay and while this is certainly an improvement over MH it's still not that fun IMO. Bit of a shame as I liked the story so far. Maybe one to pick up on the cheap later down the line.

For the emperor!

• aros 9 May 2013 10:04:32 2,924 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Daeltaja wrote:
    aros wrote:
    I just don't think reading guides is the best way to have fun with a game - isn't half the fun finding out the information for yourself? Or, yes, being told by someone who has found out for themself?

I've got to the Cerburus in the main story mode and it destroyed me :-\ I think I can't be specced so strongly for DPS over defence :(
    He nuked me too, but I equipped some Golems and Iron eggs and nuked his ass

Spolier: (You only need to get his health to half before the quest completes, my level was 13/21)
    Interesting. Thanks for the tip - I'll add some golems to my spells and just try to keep the hell away from him I guess!

Looking forward to getting back on this game tonight after only getting an hour or so on the Vita yesterday and playing GTA:VCS for that time.

I agree with you Greg, being able to get so quickly into fighting a boss or playing online is great.
  • Gregolution 9 May 2013 10:07:07 3,313 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    FanBoysSuck wrote:
    Gregolution wrote:
    @FanBoysSuck

The attacks feel a bit sluggish in the same way they do in monster hunter, to force you to time your attacks properly.

Regarding your previous complaint about health bar, you should be using minds eye (down on control pad)
    I thought monster hunter had rubbish gameplay
    Fair enough then. I think MH has much better gameplay than this personally so not surprised you don't like it!
  • FanBoysSuck 9 May 2013 10:09:23 1,489 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    FanBoysSuck wrote:
    Gregolution wrote:
    @FanBoysSuck

I thought monster hunter had rubbish gameplay
    Fair enough then. I think MH has much better gameplay than this personally so not surprised you don't like it!
    Ha sometimes you don't get along with a game no matter how hard you try. And I really wanted to like it!

For the emperor!

• aros 9 May 2013 10:15:45 2,924 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    FanBoysSuck wrote:
    I'm just going to call it a day on this one. I thought monster hunter had rubbish gameplay and while this is certainly an improvement over MH it's still not that fun IMO. Bit of a shame as I liked the story so far. Maybe one to pick up on the cheap later down the line.
    FBS I wasn't that pulled in by the demo but once I got the full game I am really into it now. Perhaps I'd wait for the price to drop a bit if I was you but it's definitely worth picking up - after a break you will hopefully be able to start it with low expectations and will probably view it differently.

I think most of the negative comments about this game (including from a lot of the gaming media) are due to people entering with expectations of something other than what the game is.
  • Daeltaja 9 May 2013 10:24:45 1,099 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    Some of these fiendishly tough archfiend fights are pure gaming joy. And I don't have to spend hours grinding through mobs to get to the boss, I turn on the game and go straight to him. I like this very much.
    This. At first I was a bit put off by the small arena boss only fights, but it turns out the devs knew exactly what they were doing. In hindsight, if there were trash mobs to farm through to get to a boss, I'd probably have given up on it already as I tend to play in short blasts.

Edit: 1 thing id REALLY like is to be able to search for Archfiends or to have their names displayed on the journal titles, its a pain having to sift through pages of entries to find the one I'm looking for..

Edited by Daeltaja at 10:28:27 09-05-2013
  • spookyzombie 9 May 2013 10:50:32 842 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bit miffed to see the PSN advertising banner on the site today wrongly suggests that Soul Sacrifice is 19.99.
  • santashi 9 May 2013 11:00:21 5,153 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    spookyzombie wrote:
    Bit miffed to see the PSN advertising banner on the site today wrongly suggests that Soul Sacrifice is 19.99.
    Yeah, I noticed that. Presume they meant to use that for Dragon's Dogma Arisen?

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• Flying_Pig 9 May 2013 12:04:35 11,058 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Played a bit more of this on my way in this morning (still playing the demo), but it's starting to gel and make more sense. Beating the Jack 'o Lantern was intense, and a definite fist-pumping moment (even on a crowded train!).

Fighting some fatty-bird thing (Harpy?) now :)

The elements are starting to make sense, and I've been using Minds Eye a lot more.
  • Gregolution 9 May 2013 13:18:38 3,313 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Absolutely dying to get stuck into this again. Something definitely happened last night drinking a beer in the bath and playing Soul Sacrifice.

And I don't mean bubbles.

Must... kill... monsters.....
  • Daeltaja 9 May 2013 16:18:21 1,099 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Only noticing now that my character is starting to look more evil as I advance with Dark Arm Sigils.. Arm is looking more fucked up and starting to glow. On the other hand if you go the Divine route, you start looking pretty and angelic and stuff..

Awesome.
  • Flying_Pig 9 May 2013 22:54:13 11,058 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Finished the demo and on to the main game. Like how it's split between the main story and the extra missions.

This has gelled with me was more than MH ever did. I quite like the small arenas and how each fight (at this stage) lasts about 5 minutes. They can be extremely intense, though :)
  • aros 10 May 2013 12:07:36 2,924 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Daeltaja wrote:
    Gregolution wrote:
    This. At first I was a bit put off by the small arena boss only fights, but it turns out the devs knew exactly what they were doing. In hindsight, if there were trash mobs to farm through to get to a boss, I'd probably have given up on it already as I tend to play in short blasts.

Edit: 1 thing id REALLY like is to be able to search for Archfiends or to have their names displayed on the journal titles, its a pain having to sift through pages of entries to find the one I'm looking for..
    Hit Triangle when on the level select screen, it switches from quest name to what you fight.

Did anyone agree to an EG session? Anyone want to play tonight? If one of us sets up a Eurogamer room password protected with "Eurogamer" or something at an agreed time? 9pm?
  • Flying_Pig 10 May 2013 13:10:46 11,058 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'd like to be able to remain in the arenas post completion of the quest to clear up any remaining soul shards or save/sacrifice any remaining defeated enemies.

Getting swept back after 20 seconds is a touch irritating and goes against my desire to explore the areas...

Currently battling away against another Harpy - she's a bloody sponge, and has come nasty attacks :(
  • Widge Moderator 10 May 2013 13:30:44 13,676 posts
    Seen 35 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    aros wrote:
    I think most of the negative comments about this game (including from a lot of the gaming media) are due to people entering with expectations of something other than what the game is.
    From what I gather, it is a distinctly Monster Hunter-y type of game... and I don't really like those. It is less of a negative comment, only just a sadness at the game not being what I was hoping to could be and it being something I didn't want.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• pogomeister 10 May 2013 14:08:28 221 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @aros a might be able to play tonight
  • PeacockDreams 10 May 2013 14:45:48 202 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I ended up not buying this because I know I would get bored very easily of a monster hunter style game (which this is), I was expecting it to be more open world which was completely my fault for expecting that because it was never billed like that by the creators. However I'm very glad people are enjoying this for what it is, and if you consider MH style games as a genre then this appears to be a great example of the genre
  • RunningMan 10 May 2013 14:53:50 2,421 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Loved the demo, and with the amazon offer (free fifa13), couldn't resist. The demo had a nier feel about it, probably just the talking book. Looking forward to this.
  • Daeltaja 10 May 2013 18:45:13 1,099 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @aros omg, thank you. Game is even better now.
  • Gregolution 11 May 2013 14:50:35 3,313 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I am loving this game. Played loads now and it's absolutely excellent.

I'm very glad I didn't let the demo put me off. I wasn't impressed at that point. However.... Once things ramp up in difficulty and you find yourself tactically considering your load outs and sigils, the game really starts coming into its own.

Harpy fight was absolutely fking awesome. Had to up my defence sigils and use shields for his swoop attacks as well as fire ranged at the right time and pick my moments to get in close

Might not be everyone's cup of tea, but it's definitely mine!
  • hypoBla5t 11 May 2013 17:13:12 1,428 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Anyone tried fighting Magusar yet? Pretty tough stuff.

Although I am loving the story and the combat mechanics, the quest structure is really dragging now - I'm not massively enjoying having to drudge through every single seperate story mission and every possible save / sacrifice permutation in order to unlock harder quests.

Only just reached Chapter 7 but feel as if I could've been there hours ago tbh.
  • Flying_Pig 13 May 2013 14:08:00 11,058 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Is there a decent Wiki/Guide for this yet? I'm not after a full walkthough, but just some guidance on Offerings (fusing, boosting etc) and Arm Sigils...
  • Daeltaja 13 May 2013 14:37:29 1,099 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Loving it. Had a great dual Centaur & Cyclops fight there on lunch break. Perfect handheld game.
  • Help_me 13 May 2013 15:00:44 942 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Flying_Pig Took me a while to work out the fusing and still unsure on the sigils. Not sure whether it is a guide but I think there was something like that posted a page or two back - although it may have spoilers.

Oh and I think this is a great game.

Edited by Help_me at 15:01:11 13-05-2013
  • Gregolution 13 May 2013 15:57:41 3,313 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The sigils are fairly self explanatory no? If you get boshed or figure out their weaknesses, you can enhance your build by modifying your sigils. I found in fights where I always took damage regardless of dodging, I'd change to defence boost sigils and then focus on enhancing the elements that they're weak to etc.
  • hypoBla5t 13 May 2013 17:32:08 1,428 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    This is what I posted a few pages back, it's a rundown of boss element weaknesses and a guide on how to 'detonate' which is a really interesting and arguably essential mechanic, especially in later chapters.

http://uk.gamespot.com/soul-sacrifice/forum/monster-weaknesses-and-how-to-detonate-66093552/
  • Murbal 13 May 2013 17:34:40 22,274 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    COULD YOU PLEASE STOP ENJOYING THIS TYVM ;-)
  • hypoBla5t 13 May 2013 17:47:22 1,428 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    If it makes you feel any better dood, I'm going off it quite strongly now, it's good but it can't compete with the other games I have on the go after a couple of weeks' play.
  • Help_me 13 May 2013 18:18:47 942 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm not. Even after getting my ass handed to me several times by the Cerberas.
  • Page

of 18 First / Last