• Page

of 18 First / Last

• sickpuppysoftware 19 Apr 2013 13:10:22 1,317 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Press x
    I was, it didn't seem to make a difference

You cannot stop me with paramecium alone!

• mrpon 19 Apr 2013 13:14:06 28,416 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    sickpuppysoftware wrote:
    mrpon wrote:
    Press x
    Yeah keep pressing, once completed a sentence then again skipped to the next.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• sickpuppysoftware 19 Apr 2013 13:33:41 1,317 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    sickpuppysoftware wrote:
    mrpon wrote:
    Press x
    Yeah keep pressing, once completed a sentence then again skipped to the next.
    I swear I was mashing it with no obvious difference. Why do we still get this crap? It's meant to be a book, fill it with words, I'll manage.

You cannot stop me with paramecium alone!

• GuiltySpark 19 Apr 2013 14:09:23 6,320 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Played it, seemed pretty pants.

Get bent.

• PeacockDreams 19 Apr 2013 16:14:41 202 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Seems to be a few who are slightly disappointed or will be disappointed if the game is just monster battling and nothing else. I'm all for giving this a chance but I just can't see me sticking with it if that's all there is to the game. Seems to me, so far, to be a one trick pony. A very nice, polished trick, but still a one trick pony
  • hypoBla5t 19 Apr 2013 17:23:18 1,359 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Surely it's been obvious from the get-go that this is heavily influenced by MH if not a straight-up clone? This is pretty much the PSV's answer to MH4. Not sure how people can have been expecting something so radically different tbh.
  • mrpon 19 Apr 2013 17:31:10 28,416 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I guess just looking at screenshots could imply this is something it isn't?

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• hypoBla5t 19 Apr 2013 19:13:00 1,359 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Something about judging a book by its cover springs to mind.
  • hypoBla5t 19 Apr 2013 19:18:01 1,359 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Anyways, to correct my own derail, how is online going? Can you play online with Japanese and US players? Was gonna wait for the proper game but if it's basically the full first chunk I might as well get stuck in!!
  • Ghibli 19 Apr 2013 20:24:04 63 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I've tried it a few times now. Seems fun to me at least. There's definite potential to build your character into a specific class, ie. Tank, healer etc.

There's depth there if you want to look for it. Worth diving in IMO. :-)
  • oldschoolsoviet 19 Apr 2013 20:55:41 5,457 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    hypoBla5t wrote:
    Surely it's been obvious from the get-go that this is heavily influenced by MH if not a straight-up clone? This is pretty much the PSV's answer to MH4. Not sure how people can have been expecting something so radically different tbh.
    I'd say it's more akin to GE, and for me that's disappointing.

Fast, fluid, but ultimately lacking in depth. Small arenas rather than the split landscapes of MH, or the comparatively sprawling areas of GE. Lightweight, button mashy combat, poor lock-on ranged attacks, and little in the way of strategy required. Big attack ? Shield. Range ? Get close and vice versa. Most of the problems occur in ensuring you have the right spell equipped at the right time, but it eventually boils down to infuriating, time-consuming swapping, especially in MP where the situation changes frequently out of your control.

Co-ordination is pretty key, and without voice chat or quick text, it's a frenzied mess as everyone wails into something, runs away to heal, and back to hack away. The greatest boon of the ol' PSP/PS3 Ad-Hoc was the voice/chat functions, moreso in MH with trapping, shouting for help and co-ordination.

As for customising ? A few tweaks and fairly similar stuff that'll hopefully be expanded on, but even gaining the special spell to turn into fire-rock-sphere dude didn't excite me all that much. Trying to figure out what strategy could be played with the Black Arts stuff doesn't seem too rewarding either, but I really like the 'spirit' mode upon death, buffing teammates and nullifying bosses with full details on it's health. Probably the best idea on show.

It looks amazing, the design and imagination is fantastic, but the mechanics (as I feared) just aren't doing it for me.
  • hypoBla5t 19 Apr 2013 21:34:49 1,359 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dived in and am really enjoying it. You make some good points Osso, time will tell I suppose.

Not sure now whether to treat it as a demo and stop playing until release or carry on and treat it as if the game were released today, obviously hoping not to hit the end of chapter one in the next 2 weeks.

Decisions, decisions...

/strokes chin
  • Rose-of-Sorrow 19 Apr 2013 21:54:15 490 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've now finished the demo, and my overall feeling is that it is disappointingly lacking in depth. The game offers a lot of different spells (although some are just a slightly altered version of a v.similar spell) and customisation options, but the gameplay is just cast spell, hit with weapon, kill all the enemies in a very small and basic arena until mission complete.

I, like many others I gather, would have liked something more to the gameplay to break up all the combat- or atleast much bigger, rolling environments- leading towards a little more exploration.

I was considering buying this at launch, might wait until it's sub 15 now.
  • Deleted user 19 April 2013 23:18:39
    Doesn't monster hunter have massive levels requiring exploration and stuff or have I just made that up?
  • oldschoolsoviet 20 Apr 2013 00:11:41 5,457 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It has lots of areas sectioned off, so perhaps 8 or 9 to a 'level', and each of those is a similar size to one area in SS. God Eater had entire areas about 5 or 6 times the size, but they were all one map. It does feel rather limited in comparison.

Difference with MH is, there's a greater emphasis on gathering materials and knowing where to get certain items, more varied geography, and basic tactics utilising the terrain, like baiting a horned monster to get stuck, and knowing a monsters behaviour around a map.

A mini-map/radar/other might've been useful, (if only to guage depth perception and distance which feels off somehow), especially against that Harpy, which felt very cheaty with it's airborne dive attack. Seemed to hit me no matter how far away I was, almost as if it was warping. Felt no different whether I was six paces away or the other side of the area.
  • Ghibli 22 Apr 2013 11:00:31 63 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Well, I have to say, I'm still having a huge amount of fun with the demo. Particularly online. I've created a healer build with the spells I've accumulated - mostly AoE healing - added a shield spell and melee attack for when I really need it and its really clicking with me.

IMO, the game really comes alive with other people and ( unusually for me ) especially with randoms. There's a trust them/don't trust them, sacrifice/save dynamic which is fairly meaningless with NPCs, but really works with real peeps.

There's also actually a really good comms system in there which allows for people speaking any language to very quickly make themselves understood.

In some ways it feels less like like MH and more like a Phantasy Star game with an sacrifice dynamic. The sacrifice thing, to me, is much less of a pain than I imagined it would be. It basically turns you into a smart bomb, and can be the difference between winning and losing the fight.

More than once I've called for my own sacrifice and quickly finished a boss off after quarter an hour of wearing it down. But also, more than once I've sacrificed someone calling to be saved, knowing it would help more. And felt guilty about it after. :-\

Yes, there's no real exploration, at least so far. Yes it does seem to be boss fights. Yes, it's definitely going to put put a lot of people off, and rightly so. But, to me, it's really managed to distill the essence of what I like in online gaming and gaming in general. That is innovation, teamwork, creativity and basic Japanese batshit madness.

I genuinely believe there are gamers out there who will 'get' this game, if they give it more than a perfunctory glance. Especially if they give the online a try. Because that's where the core mechanics really sing.

Edited by Ghibli at 11:02:02 22-04-2013
  • Gregolution 22 Apr 2013 11:25:06 3,164 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Being my most anticipated game on the console my expectations were sky high and I found the demo slightly disappointing I suppose. But... it's a demo of the very beginning of a huge game.

If I read a review saying the game stays like chapter 1 for 300 hours, I'll be bloody surprised.
  • jagg3r 22 Apr 2013 20:01:30 1,027 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    25 pre order with tesco outlet for anybody interested

http://www.tesco.com/direct/soul-sacrifice/730-9585.prd?sc_cmp=aff_1377147
  • Help_me 22 Apr 2013 20:50:01 939 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    30 on that link?
  • jagg3r 22 Apr 2013 21:15:57 1,027 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Help_me There's a 5 code on that link
  • aros 23 Apr 2013 09:54:20 2,552 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Isn't the only place to get pre-order bonus' ShopTo?

edit: Great writeup Ghibli, thank you.

Edited by aros at 10:04:51 23-04-2013
  • Ghibli 23 Apr 2013 13:22:00 63 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @aros yeah, I think you're right. Re: shopto

And no worries. Hope you like the game. :-D
  • Help_me 23 Apr 2013 22:06:33 939 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @jagg3r Ah I see. cheers mate. Will be ordering. Thanks again.
  • aros 24 Apr 2013 10:10:31 2,552 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I played more last night, beat the first boss - I died moments before he did and was saved after he died. I enjoyed the fight and look forward more to this game the more I play.

IGN have a new write-up today stating the game is very deep (reflecting on their first 15 hours of play)
  • Murbal 24 Apr 2013 10:13:26 21,920 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I do like the variety of magic in the game but one of the things I love about Monster Hunter is the carving, collecting and crafting - proper resource management which seems to be missing in SS.

Still, I'm notoriously weak when it comes to new releases so we'll see ;-)
  • Help_me 24 Apr 2013 10:14:58 939 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Buy it!
  • aros 24 Apr 2013 10:18:34 2,552 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You know you'll buy it Murbal. ;) Just join us in encouraging others instead of umming and ahhing
  • neems 24 Apr 2013 10:48:40 1,148 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Murbal's umming and ahhing over this? SOLD!
  • Chopsen 24 Apr 2013 12:51:04 15,702 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm quite enjoying the demo. I don't know if it does any favours that I never played a monster hunter game nor anything else with "Soul" in the title to get confused about, but yeah, quite entertaining. Trying out different spells, different sorts of monsters, I can see how there's scope for strategy. The finite arenas also help gear the games towards brief bursts of gameplay, which suits a handheld. I don't think it would stand up for prolonged continuous marathon sessions, but as something to pick up now and again I think it'll work nicely.
  • Murbal 24 Apr 2013 12:54:32 21,920 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    double post?

Edited by Murbal at 15:04:51 24-04-2013
  • Page

of 18 First / Last