DayZ - An ARMA II Mod about Zombie Apocalypse Page 4

• Page

of 76 First / Last

• Xeaon 10 May 2012 11:12:43 608 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Tiger_Walts He had a winchester, but I lost it going for a swim (didn't realise your bag got dumped).

Does anyone know what 'coyote' corpses are? Presumably players but i'm guessing it's not just one guy as i've seen loads.
  • magicpanda 10 May 2012 11:13:48 13,256 posts
    Seen 58 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You haven't lived until you've killed a man for his Beans.
  • PearOfAnguish 10 May 2012 11:14:39 7,136 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I like to shoot people in the legs from long distance then hide and watch them crawl along the ground. Works best if they're trying to be quiet and avoid nearby zombies.

It's a valid survival technique, they act as live bait.
  • magicpanda 10 May 2012 11:20:48 13,256 posts
    Seen 58 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    As I said, some proper Sociopaths ^ :)

Edited by magicpanda at 11:30:15 10-05-2012
  • Rusty_M 10 May 2012 11:23:51 4,565 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I only ever met one non-zombie. He shot me dead

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• Tiger_Walts 10 May 2012 11:26:38 16,579 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Xeaon wrote:
    @Tiger_Walts He had a winchester, but I lost it going for a swim (didn't realise your bag got dumped).

Does anyone know what 'coyote' corpses are? Presumably players but i'm guessing it's not just one guy as i've seen loads.
    Yeah, when you go swimming you can auto-drop gear. It's a real pain.

Coyote is the name of a type of backpack. There are actually two types of backpack named coyote, one is small, the other is the biggest you can get. When looking at a player or corpse, you can loot the backpack by using the action menu (mousewheel scroll and click). To loot the inventory items off a corpse wearing a backpack, either press G or choose 'Gear' from the action menu while looking at it. You can also choose 'Take Backpack' to swap your backpack with theirs. But be careful, the contents in a backpack, stay in that backpack and the one you drop can disappear! Empty your backpack on the ground and/or drop it before taking another one.

IT Monkey and StickyPiston Minecraft Hosting Support

• mouse Moderator 10 May 2012 11:32:35 10,312 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Mr-Brett Still 19.95 for Combined Ops on gamersgate! Or 9.99 per game - can you play DayZ with just OA?
  • Tiger_Walts 10 May 2012 11:37:58 16,579 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mouse wrote:
    @Mr-Brett Still 19.95 for Combined Ops on gamersgate! Or 9.99 per game - can you play DayZ with just OA?
    The game is played on the Chernarus map which isn't on OA. You need Combined Ops.

• magicpanda 10 May 2012 11:38:16 13,256 posts
    Seen 58 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ideally you need Arma2, OA and then the Private military dlc if you want high res player models
  • PearOfAnguish 10 May 2012 11:39:22 7,136 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    magicpanda wrote:
    As I said, some proper Sociopaths ^ :)
    If I catch ya I'm gonna fuck ya.
  • Mr-Brett 10 May 2012 11:44:48 12,723 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I already have Arma II and according to steam have played it for 117 minutes... but I don't think I have anything else. So the map is in combined ops but the site says you only need Arma II and OA?

I want it on sale because I'm rather poor at the moment, probably because I've bought too many games I've barely played ;)

Portable view - Never forget.

• mouse Moderator 10 May 2012 12:05:20 10,312 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You could get just OA for a tenner then and you'd be all set. Combined Ops is just normal Arma II and OA.
  • BillMurray 10 May 2012 12:06:48 7,604 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Racked up 100hrs on Arma last night. Getting back into vanilla now aswell.
  • Rusty_M 10 May 2012 12:08:12 4,565 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    magicpanda wrote:
    Ideally you need Arma2, OA and then the Private military dlc if you want high res player models
    Didn't realise the player models were from that DLC although it's hard to tell at night

• Tiger_Walts 10 May 2012 12:09:46 16,579 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The bare-minimum for a Combined Ops install is ARMA2 and OA. You can incorporate BAF and PMC as well but they shouldn't be necessary to run the mod.

Although, I did see a BAF weapon in the loot-sheet and my L85 may be BAF too, so I'm not too sure.

• Zizoo 10 May 2012 12:13:30 8,095 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Keep the videos and personal stories coming. :-P

No PC to play this on myself :(
  • magicpanda 10 May 2012 12:14:21 13,256 posts
    Seen 58 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah there are free versions of BAF and PMC with OA. Just with low res textures.
  • Tiger_Walts 10 May 2012 12:18:32 16,579 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Of course, I forgot about the Lite versions. All the resource content, just lower res and none of the missions.

• Rusty_M 10 May 2012 12:26:27 4,565 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well I'd they stick a sale on I'll get the DLC. Although I've not finished either of the main single player campaigns

• magicpanda 10 May 2012 12:28:21 13,256 posts
    Seen 58 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've not even played the single player campaign in OA and ive put 160 hours into it :)

Spent most of my time titting about with the amazing mission editor
  • brokenkey 10 May 2012 12:34:02 6,942 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Me: Hello. do you have any copies of ARMA X on PC?
    Gamestation: No we don't. However Diablo 3 is out on PC next Friday, and that's the big one if you're into PC gaming.

3DS 3497-0122-1484
    XBL/PSN/NNID: CptnBrokenkey

• Tiger_Walts 10 May 2012 13:04:52 16,579 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Chance of finding a GPS in a single Military loot spot: ~0.06%
    Chance of finding NVGs in a Barracks: 0.528% (Only a handful of these buildings exist)
    Chance of finding NVGs on a crashed heli: 0.48% (But the helis are currently bugged and will kill you if you try to get in)

• Xeaon 10 May 2012 13:07:17 608 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Tiger_Walts Ah I see, explains why I found so many heh.

Edited by Xeaon at 13:07:51 10-05-2012
  • Tiger_Walts 10 May 2012 13:23:25 16,579 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The best place to find cool loot like that is off a Bandit corpse :D

We encountered a pair of dudes looting the NW airstrip. We took potshots at them but missed and they scarpered. Not knowing where they went, we kept low as we were in the grass between taxiway and runway. They managed to loop round behind us but didn't maintain any sort of sensible stealth discipline and we spotted them coming. I popped one in the head just as he realised his error and got prone, my buddies got the other. That's where we got our GPS and NVGs :D

They also had the .50cal sniper rifle on them in a backpack. They could have easily run to the hill to the South and sniped one of us.

• skuzzbag 10 May 2012 13:24:31 5,635 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    spudsbuckley wrote:
    Reading the thread on SomethingAwful about this and it sounds great.

A bunch of Goons going on raids in helicopters and griefing the fuck out of people.
    See I was sold all the way up to griefing. This is why the game will end up ad a shoot on sight of anything, and the potential for real co-op between strangers (a fantastic but rare experience in online games) will be throttled by the tossers. Shame.
  • PearOfAnguish 10 May 2012 13:39:10 7,136 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    skuzzbag wrote:
    See I was sold all the way up to griefing. This is why the game will end up ad a shoot on sight of anything, and the potential for real co-op between strangers (a fantastic but rare experience in online games) will be throttled by the tossers. Shame.
    Griefing needs to be kept in check through some kind of notoriety system, but I'm not sure ArmA would be up to doing that properly.

Really, this mod needs its own custom built engine. ArmA is great when it comes to simulating huge landscapes, but there is a ton of cool shit you could do building a standalone Day Z from the ground up. Massive hordes of slow zombies, players creating safehouses and traps, a survivor/outcast rep system to encourage teamplay etc etc.
  • magicpanda 10 May 2012 13:44:29 13,256 posts
    Seen 58 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    skuzzbag wrote:
    spudsbuckley wrote:
    Reading the thread on SomethingAwful about this and it sounds great.

A bunch of Goons going on raids in helicopters and griefing the fuck out of people.
    It's already heading that way and fast unfortunately Seems to be the main talking point on the forums.

That said the mod is only 15% complete going by the devs comments. BI have also just released a beta patch for ARMA II which fixes direct comms. (speaking to your general vicinity rather than a channel) which helps massively in random encounters with other players.

There is also some independent chap ripping out all the database calls of the mod and trying to covert it to single player/coop mission.

Edited by magicpanda at 13:47:41 10-05-2012
  • BillMurray 10 May 2012 13:48:29 7,604 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Has the game been hanging on 'Receiving data..' for anyone else. Had to reinstall the game last night so i'm not sure if that's related or if the servers are just being pounded.
  • Whizzo 10 May 2012 13:50:46 43,032 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That's a server issue not a local install one.

This space left intentionally blank.

• tincanrocket 10 May 2012 13:50:49 2,897 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    But, in the event of a real zombie apocalypse, there would be tons of griefers, it will just be down to other people banding together and taking them on. Mind you, some sort of notoriety system would certainly help identify those who need targetting.

This thread has certainly piqued my interest in this, but I don't have the Amra expansion, just Arma2 on Steam - if I get the expansion on Gamergate is it going to work alongside my Steam copy of the main game?
  • Page

of 76 First / Last