DayZ Page 2

• Page

of 76 First / Last

• PearOfAnguish 8 May 2012 14:34:09 7,461 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Been playing this a little. It's incredibly atmospheric and tense. You can wander around for ages without seeing anything then a zombie starts muttering and it's brown trousers time.
  • Whizzo 8 May 2012 15:00:44 43,269 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'll be downloading it and giving it a go this evening, unfortunately that'll probably mean starting in the dark on a UK server.

/scared

This space left intentionally blank.

• magicpanda 8 May 2012 15:13:20 13,456 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It not too bad in the dark provided it isn't cloudy. Makes creeping around Zombies a bit easier.

Still a massive pain in the arse inside buildings, especially when you are passing out from blood loss. :)

I lost my first character within an hour. Average lifespan is 4.5 hours. The person who has been alive longest is up to 40+ hours.
  • WoodenSpoon 8 May 2012 15:17:55 12,294 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Are there safe spots so you can leave your character while you sleep or is it one of those 'once you're in you're in' type things?
  • magicpanda 8 May 2012 15:57:10 13,456 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    When you log out you just disappear instantly. (which is currently ripe for exploiting)
  • El_MUERkO 8 May 2012 16:45:48 17,126 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm out tonight but Tiger and the others should be on the Halibut's Teamspeak server, if you want to hook up with us.

I got murdered by Russians so I'm bloodthirsty now!
  • monkehhh 8 May 2012 16:59:54 3,477 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ah, the old logoffski!

Sad that I can't afford OA til next week, boo!
  • PearOfAnguish 8 May 2012 17:08:39 7,461 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    magicpanda wrote:
    Still a massive pain in the arse inside buildings
    Yeah, the ArmA engine really isn't well suited to something like this, at least indoors. Movement is jerky and awkward.

Really hope they sort this out in ArmA 3, it'll be massively disappointing if they continue to use the same annoying controls and animations. If ArmA is realistic the devs must all suffer from degenerative motor control diseases.

It sucks a lot of the fun out of combat too when there's a huge delay in enemies reacting to being shot, and they all fall using the same one or two animations. It's 2012, guys, where are the ragdoll physics? Though it's kinda funny seeing someone in a mounted gun get shot, stand up, then fall over dead.
  • PearOfAnguish 8 May 2012 17:10:44 7,461 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Btw...Game and Gamestation are both listing ArmA X (all ArmA and OFP + expansions) for 14.99. Even if you already have one or two of them this is cheaper than buying some of the expansions alone.

Showing out of stock right now but it seems to become available again quite frequently.
  • Whizzo 8 May 2012 22:56:58 43,269 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    "Waiting for server response" how I hate you...

• magicpanda 8 May 2012 23:33:33 13,456 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yea I think I'll watch this one from the sidelines for now and see how it goes.

It's bloody brilliant and the best stab at a proper Zombie Survival game I've ever seen but I don't have the patience for Alpha testing.
  • Whizzo 8 May 2012 23:51:32 43,269 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I downloaded the 1.5.6 code update (it's only just been released) and I got into a game pretty quickly after that, possibly coincidence.

Pitch black night, raining with occasional flashes of lightning, ambled around getting used to using flares and killing a handful of zombies, it was rather tense!

• WoodenSpoon 9 May 2012 01:13:06 12,294 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    PearOfAnguish wrote:
    magicpanda wrote:
    Still a massive pain in the arse inside buildings
    Yeah, the ArmA engine really isn't well suited to something like this, at least indoors. Movement is jerky and awkward.

Really hope they sort this out in ArmA 3, it'll be massively disappointing if they continue to use the same annoying controls and animations. If ArmA is realistic the devs must all suffer from degenerative motor control diseases.

It sucks a lot of the fun out of combat too when there's a huge delay in enemies reacting to being shot, and they all fall using the same one or two animations. It's 2012, guys, where are the ragdoll physics? Though it's kinda funny seeing someone in a mounted gun get shot, stand up, then fall over dead.
    I'd love to see this too but I don't hold out much hope for Arma 3. My impression from reading the forums a couple of years ago was that the fanboys liked the clunkiness because it put Arma apart from the 'twitch' shooters. It's a shame because the huge maps and the painstakingly crafted vehicles are great, but they're such a pain in the arse to actually move around in or use.
  • magicpanda 9 May 2012 07:51:54 13,456 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Someone said of the controls it's like being a little alien living in the head of a human host and they were spot on.

I can understand the clunkiness and why it's needed and I do kind of like it but its a bit too far into the wrong end of the scale.
  • Whizzo 9 May 2012 07:56:04 43,269 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    On that very subject, here's me not having played ArmA2 much in quite a while trying to remember how to play the game in the dark. The timing of a certain flare throw couldn't have been better while one couldn't be worse. :-)

• PearOfAnguish 9 May 2012 09:01:09 7,461 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @magicpanda

I could just about tolerate the awful controls, you do get used to them after a while, it's the weapon handling and animations which really spoil it for me. The guns are just so incredibly boring to use. They don't feel right, the sound FX is pathetic and the enemy animation is a joke. It's just laughable that it's held up as an example of realism.

Looking at some of the ArmA 3 trailers it looks like none of that has changed, the combat still looks silly.
  • magicpanda 9 May 2012 14:20:29 13,456 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I just got a decent couple of hours in at a quiet server.

Its by far the best Zombie game ever made.

Managed to get myself out into the wilderness away from the coast and main cities and successfully raided a few farms and a decent sized Village.

I finally have a map, a shotgun with a few rounds and some extra cans of beans. The sense of accomplishment was better than completing the last few AAA games I've played through. :)

It's pretty much my dream videogame.

Edited by magicpanda at 16:55:08 09-05-2012
  • urban 9 May 2012 15:24:42 11,033 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Is this the reason why ARMA II combined operations has popped back up into the top sellers on steam without any price reduction?
  • Whizzo 9 May 2012 15:27:27 43,269 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It is, a lot of people at NeoGAF and other forums have been picking it up purely because of this mod, even at the alpha stage.

See other PC game publishers, you allow mods and people will buy your product!

• urban 9 May 2012 15:30:51 11,033 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've wanted a proper zombie survival game for a long time.

Fortification building and a few other things added tho.

Worth playing at Alpha?

Edited by urban at 15:35:20 09-05-2012
  • Benno 9 May 2012 15:38:36 10,220 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    urban wrote:

Worth playing at Alpha?
    yep, can you build any kind of base/fortification in this?

A mixture of this and minecrafts 'home' building gameplay would be aces
  • PearOfAnguish 9 May 2012 16:03:13 7,461 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If you can't yet it will surely be added at some point. There's another ArmA 2 mod where players are split into three teams and have to scavenge weapons and food and build fortifications.

Does make you wonder why nobody has yet done an open-world zombie FPS that's focused on survival. Thought Dead Island would be it, but no, that was just shit.
  • magicpanda 9 May 2012 17:09:55 13,456 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    urban wrote:

Worth playing at Alpha?
    I'll quote someone else as he pretty much nails it.

The mod is in Alpha so it's buggy, there aren't many servers hosting it yet (although more are added every day) which means you have to sit and spam "join" for 15 minutes sometimes. There are lots of updates to the mod (sometimes daily) which means you have to re-download and update the mod files often. There are lots of server restarts. It's a work in progress so you have to be OK with that.

As for the gameplay... You will have 6 hours invested in a character with a shiny new 20 slot backpack, compass, map, binoculars, watch and sniper rifle and then get one shotted by some bandit without even seeing them. And that's it. You start over from square one. I see people raging in chat and on forums about there not being a PvE server. If you do not like PvP this game is not for you. The servers are also synched with the real time where the servers are located and are on a 24 hour day/night schedule. If you can only play after work you will be playing a lot of night games and nighttime is challenging so, keep it in mind.

There is no "winning" to the game. No quests. No overarching goal. The only goal is to stay alive for as long as you can. The existential nihilism is what worried me most about the mod. I thought I'd get bored quickly. Hasn't happened yet and I have over 40 hours played (in 10 days!). There is no time for philosophical pondering in this world. Your goals are small but actually VERY meaningful. You can't avoid Zeds and other Survivors if you don't have food. If you don't have food, you'll die. Survive this crisis so you can move on to the next one.

I introduced the mod to a friend last night and he loved it. What's interesting about this is that we didn't really "do" anything. We tried to find each other which was a terrifying adventure in itself. Once we met up we headed inland and died in a Zombie onslaught trying to get some decent weapons at the Airfield. I kept worrying I had got him to buy this game and we weren't really accomplishing anything. After we logged he said "Well, so much for Diablo III".
    Edited by magicpanda at 17:10:13 09-05-2012
  • BillMurray 9 May 2012 17:10:08 7,862 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Really enjoying this now. Found a magnum pistol which has done me the world of good. Found some razor wire, toolbox and scrap metal aswell but not sure what i'm meant to be doing with those. Having trouble trying to find a well to fill up my water bottle though.
  • Kid_Icarus 9 May 2012 17:19:31 555 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Given how well this is making Arma II sell, I wonder if the devs might buy the idea and develop it into a full game. It looks awesome but it just needs a bit more polish, and a hell of a lot more servers.

/wishful thinking
  • magicpanda 9 May 2012 17:24:00 13,456 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Dev of this mod is an employee of Bohemia Interactive.

I kind of hope they run with it for Arma 3 as really polished DLC.

Edited by magicpanda at 17:24:21 09-05-2012
  • urban 9 May 2012 17:39:05 11,033 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I honestly don't know why this game idea hasn't been made before, gamers have wanted it for long enough.
  • LFMartins 9 May 2012 17:48:08 5,704 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    BillMurray wrote:
    Really enjoying this now. Found a magnum pistol which has done me the world of good. Found some razor wire, toolbox and scrap metal aswell but not sure what i'm meant to be doing with those. Having trouble trying to find a well to fill up my water bottle though.
    The scrap metal and the toolbox can be used to fix vehicles, I think.
  • the_dudefather 9 May 2012 17:49:05 9,396 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    hmm, I'm now thinking of buying a game just for a mod

It's like the late 90s all over again!

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• Page

of 76 First / Last