DayZ - An ARMA II Mod about Zombie Apocalypse Page 75

• Page

of 76 First / Last

• Mr-Brett 2 Jan 2014 14:30:49 12,763 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The other thread was never needed really, there's no reason to segregate it as the Mod is pretty much done, nobody will be talking about it anymore. This one just needed a title change.

Portable view - Never forget.

• Reacher 2 Jan 2014 18:33:39 807 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Just got this today on stean, any n00b tips?
  • onestepfromlost 2 Jan 2014 20:00:19 2,045 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well if anyone is still playing the mod it might avoid confusion
  • poobob 2 Jan 2014 23:04:09 75 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @Reacher Don't be tempted by buildings on the coast where you spawn. Avoid zeds and head inland. Preferably through forest where you might find a player's tent stuffed full of goods. Oh, and buy an i5 CPU as soon as possible. The game will run like shit until you do.

Edited by poobob at 23:06:55 02-01-2014
  • Reacher 2 Jan 2014 23:48:19 807 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @poobob I have an i5. Thanks for the info.
  • poobob 3 Jan 2014 06:38:12 75 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I've given up. I upgraded my GPU from a GTX 260 to a 7850 yesterday in the hope of a boost. I know the game is CPU intensive but I was hoping for something. Nothing. BF4 on ultra at 60 FPS, DayZ on lowest, still low 20s.

Rubbish.

Edited by poobob at 06:45:21 03-01-2014
  • INSOMANiAC 3 Jan 2014 08:09:06 3,829 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @poobob Quite possibly the worst 'tips' I've ever read !

The absolute last thing you want to do is avoid the buildings near the coast and head inland. Unless you want to find yourself starving to death and dying of dehydration lost in a forest. You should be finding some gear in nearby houses then sticking to the coast, generally heading with the ocean to your left until you get to Elektro, where you can find all kinds of good stuff. It's risky but theres no reward without risk and certainly beats wandering around aimlessly in the countryside.

Also, the SA runs much better than the mod so you may have more joy with that, plus its getting optimised all the time.

Edited by INSOMANiAC at 08:09:27 03-01-2014

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• poobob 3 Jan 2014 09:04:06 75 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    From the DayZ Wiki...

Avoid the coast unless you're looking for trouble. Head in-land after spawning.
    It's personal preference at the end of the day, but I have far less trouble heading inland through forest. Buildings close to your spawn can be guarded by upwards of 8 zeds. Deer hides in the forest only 3. You're also more likely to find a gun in a deer hide, even military grade. Occasionally you'll stumble across a player's tent too. Big pay-off.

Edited by poobob at 09:06:40 03-01-2014
  • BillMurray 3 Jan 2014 09:47:29 7,701 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think there's people in here talking about DayZ with each other but each party is talking about different versions.
  • Br0ken_Engli5h 3 Jan 2014 10:30:02 1,194 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    There seems to be no zombie or weapon spawns at deer stands any longer in the SA. I've also seen a diagram showing that food and drink are much more scarce as you go further inland, so you're going to need to find loot before you venture off North considering that you start mildy dehydrated and hungry.
  • Tiger_Walts 3 Jan 2014 10:57:03 16,587 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    3 zombies around a deer stand sounds like the mod version. In Stand Alone the zombies are persistent whereas the mod dynamically spawned in as you neared structures. Each building type had its own spawn tables for zombies and loot.

IT Monkey and StickyPiston Minecraft Hosting Support

• DuvaDan88 3 Jan 2014 18:18:45 539 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Br0ken_Engli5h On my first go on the SA I got pretty far up north without eating or drink when told to, I came across a military base and got rationed up form there.

Xbox, Steam - DuvaDan
    3DS 4639-9278-1687
    Feel free to add me

• poobob 3 Jan 2014 18:53:26 75 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Tiger_Walts wrote:
    3 zombies around a deer stand sounds like the mod version.
    Yup.

I still don't really know what I'm doing in this game, it's fairly tricky as a lone wolf. I rarely last more than an hour in my endeavours to explore for weaponry. Facking zombies.

Edited by poobob at 18:55:45 03-01-2014
  • urban 3 Jan 2014 19:27:34 10,942 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    These reviews have power....

Forced a man to eat a rotten Banana and he died 10/10
    You either die a hiker or you live long enough to see yourself become a serial killer murdering hikers.
    I starved to death because I couldn't open my can of beans
    I licked a battery.... it tasted 'fully charged'
    I saw a guy chased by zombies and i helped him. I gave him food, water and bandage his wound. We traveled together and i protected him until he well equiped. Then i asked him if he want to head to devil castle. He said yes. Once we there, we went up to the tower and i axed him in the face. god, i love this game.
    Killed a french man who didn't retreat, only in Day-Z 10/10

Edited by urban at 19:28:57 03-01-2014
  • poobob 3 Jan 2014 19:36:34 75 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    :o

Brilliant.
  • Br0ken_Engli5h 4 Jan 2014 08:08:09 1,194 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @DuvaDan88

You're probably talking about the new base North of Kamenka. The point is that it's better to get hydrated, fed and stocked up straight away so that you don't risk getting into the state where you're losing blood through thirst and such. If the base would've been looted already, you'd have been buggered.
  • poobob 4 Jan 2014 18:55:00 75 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Just watched a vid where a group of guys recruited a fresh spawn as a contestant in a twisted post-apocalyptic game show. They made him kill 10 zeds and another fresh spawn with a hatchet, all the while with crazy commentary. Then they whisked him off to a cowshed in the country where they bought him other fresh spawn contestants to battle to the death with hatchets, to be the champion of DayZ.

Bizarre, but so fucking funny.
  • INSOMANiAC 4 Jan 2014 19:19:14 3,829 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Mr-Brett Strange that as this thread is more active than the other one.... They are totally different games at the moment and confusion has already arisen a couple of times about things which occur in one and not the other. In a nutshell, you're wrong.

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• Dirtbox 4 Jan 2014 19:59:21 77,686 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Someone needs to change the title of this thread and lock the other one, it's worthless and everyone's been talking about the standalone for months in this one.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Mr-Brett 5 Jan 2014 09:58:21 12,763 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    INSOMANiAC wrote:
    @Mr-Brett Strange that as this thread is more active than the other one.... They are totally different games at the moment and confusion has already arisen a couple of times about things which occur in one and not the other. In a nutshell, you're wrong.
    There's one person playing the mod and they didn't make that clear, them posting in new thread shows that having separate threads isn't really helping with that. If anything it's just going to add to the confusion, which lets face really isn't a big deal anyway.

• INSOMANiAC 5 Jan 2014 20:33:29 3,829 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've reinstalled the mod to see where its up to as Ive not played it in over a year, but where are the 'pure' dayz servers, I dont want one where oyu start with a machine gun, or where theres 200 vehicles, I just want vanilla Dayz but I cant find a server!

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• poobob 5 Jan 2014 22:26:30 75 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Use DayZ Commander and filter "hide unofficial" in the server list.

Edited by poobob at 22:27:27 05-01-2014
  • INSOMANiAC 5 Jan 2014 22:52:41 3,829 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I have its still full of bollocks

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• thefilthandthefury 5 Jan 2014 23:04:59 24,983 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Do people really ruin the game like that? What is their problem? Why play DayZ if that's the sort of experience you're after? FFS...
  • poobob 5 Jan 2014 23:08:15 75 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @INSOMANiAC I've just tried 3 random servers under that filter and all start with no gear, and standard vehicles. I have no idea what you are doing wrong.

To be honest, I prefer servers where you start with a watch and a hatchet at the very least.

Edited by poobob at 23:20:24 05-01-2014
  • Mr-Brett 5 Jan 2014 23:21:09 12,763 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    thefilthandthefury wrote:
    Do people really ruin the game like that? What is their problem? Why play DayZ if that's the sort of experience you're after? FFS...
    Sadly yes, DayZ (mod version) is pretty easy subvert because of the net architecture. People did all sorts of crap to utterly ruin the game. It's a big part of the reason I stopped playing the Mod and have been waiting for the standalone.

• INSOMANiAC 6 Jan 2014 09:10:33 3,829 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @poobob Every server has written next to it (200 vehicles, machine gun at start) or something similar. Im all for playing different versions of the game from time to time but I really dont want to start with a machine gun.

I played a server called 'the renuion' and it was brilliant as far as there was loads of building, stuff strewn across the road etc but there was also a ton of food everywhere. I dont mind that so much though, that reunion looks interesting and Ill play it again.

The mod seems to have come a long way since I last played it a year ago, it runs a lot smoother for a start and doesnt have that stupid had sway you get on the SA any more, actual mouse acceleration!

Edited by INSOMANiAC at 09:10:58 06-01-2014

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• poobob 7 Jan 2014 16:48:54 75 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Jesus Fucking Christ. That is the most horrible thing I have ever had to do in a game. Possibly IRL.

Been playing all day with some Russian guy (who spoke English). Just going around and salvaging as much loot as we could. Weapons, ammo, food, everything, and storing it at a remote base we found. We then repaired a Ural (Russky military truck) and moved all the gear to it. So we're driving around in this thing and he says he has to go, marks my map and tells me to hide it there somewhere. I say fine and he fucks off.

It then dawns on me what a massive fucking responsibility this is. I mean there's some serious loot in this thing. Military grade weapons that are rare as hens' teeth and lots of them. And I've got to drive it 30 miles to this place. I was absolutely bricking it. I mean my heart is fucking pounding. Within 5 minutes I hear a chopper and the fucking thing is following me, low as you like. Luckily there's no one in the gunners' seat and he loses interest after a couple of miles.

My map reading skills are shit at the best of times, but when town names are in western lettering on the map and cyrillic on the fucking signs, I'm fucked. So I'm stopping every couple of minutes to get my bearings. During one of these moments of staring at the map in puzzlement, 3 or 4 bandits start shooting from a distant treeline. Shit myself? Yes, hard. I gun it as fast as this fucking thing will go (not very) and they have me zeroed for a full fucking minute before the gunfire peters out. Ural's may not be fast but they can take a hell of a beating. Luckily none of them managed to hit me or that would be game over and one very unhappy Russian tomorrow.

So I keep on truckin' for about another 4 miles and realise the server is about to reset. Most DayZ servers reset every two hours as the game has a howling memory leak for a lot of players. I hide the truck in some woods, save it, and log out. My heart is in my fucking mouth, I have never been so terrified in a game.

After 2 failed attempts to get back in, shitting myself that the bandits had sussed my general direction and would yomp there before I could get back in, I get back in. The Ural's still there. Nice. I climb in and check my map. Oh my fucking God. The marker's gone. I now have no clue where I'm supposed to leave the thing.

I take it off-road, deep in to some woods, and conceal it as best I can. Chances of it being there tomorrow? Slim to none.

Fuck.
  • Physically_Insane 7 Jan 2014 16:58:40 8,754 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    lol, enjoyed reading that.
  • romelpotter 7 Jan 2014 18:09:09 148 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I have just picked up the steam alpha version and I love it. Still in that "WTF is going on" phase at the moment, and that is a cool thing for me.

I came across 6 or 7 dead guys in a factory by the railway tracks and the beach, found out I could aquire their gear then ran into the pack of bandits that must have killed them. One guy comes over to me with his rifle out, we skirt around each other for a bit, I move off backwards so I am still facing him as I have nothing but fists to fight with and bam, shot in the face!

love it :)
  • Page

of 76 First / Last