DayZ - An ARMA II Mod about Zombie Apocalypse Page 64

• Page

of 76 First / Last

• Leolian 30 Aug 2012 10:34:52 1,068 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @caligari It's a known bug. was supposed to be fixed in the last patch but actually got worse.
  • WoodenSpoon 30 Aug 2012 11:40:08 12,273 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Regarding the artefacting, I had to go in to nVidia Control Panel and turn off "threaded optimisation" for Arma 2 and Operation Arrowhead. Then when the textures go mad hit Shift and the NumPad "-" key and type "flush".

Some people seem to find that doing one or the other fixes everything, but I had to do both. Doesn't stop the textures fucking up but it does reliably fix them when they do.

Edited by WoodenSpoon at 11:40:54 30-08-2012
  • Leolian 30 Aug 2012 13:19:54 1,068 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Does anyone know a fix for everyone playing this being a cunt?
  • BillMurray 30 Aug 2012 13:32:00 7,587 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I don't think they're patching that in.
  • Leolian 30 Aug 2012 13:36:53 1,068 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I genuinely think that some real incentives to be a hero rather than a bandit should be considered. Or disincentives to be a bandit. Game is ruined by this for me currently. That and every 14 year old bandit having an AS50, supposedly one of the rarest guns in the game.
  • Scurrminator 30 Aug 2012 13:41:31 8,366 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bah. Just lost my day 20 guy to some dude with a one shit kill weapon who picked us off from miles away.
    Had shit tons of stuff along with a mate who suffered the same.
    About a minute later when i respawned some guy insta killed everyone on the server (hacker I'm guessing sao we would have died anyway).
    Am sad.

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• Leolian 30 Aug 2012 14:10:53 1,068 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Case in point
  • Rusty_M 30 Aug 2012 14:47:44 4,555 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I imagine the people sniping the coastlines to be like the sniper family in Dead Rising.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• MikeP 30 Aug 2012 14:56:45 1,758 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think with them being trying to be "realistic" some of the obvious good guy incentives (like blood/food/water restoration if you killed bandits) would be out of the question.

One thing they could do would be to manipulate the loot drop tables, so that if you had a high level of humanity you found better stuff, or at least found it more frequently. You could do that silently without really breaking the feel of the game. Call it Karma.

Edited by MikeP at 14:56:58 30-08-2012
  • geeza2020 30 Aug 2012 15:05:44 1,877 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've got the same graphical glitch problems with the dead soldiers turning into big triangles of crap, but I'm running ATI - any ideas from the hive on a fix for it?

I know I said I was done with this, but maybe if I give it one more go things will be a bit different? I know, I know, it will probably end with more tears and another tantrum, but I do really enjoy the game.... finding that nice piece of equipment and sneaking all over the place - I love it. But I think I'm going to try playing exclusively on night time servers from now on - hopefully this will help with the random snipings.
  • MikeP 30 Aug 2012 15:23:13 1,758 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There's a third-party ATI tool that lets you specify the threading, so you can have a go at applying the same solution the nVidia guys use. I'm on an ATI 6850 and I suffer the same glitch.

Here's the Reddit link to a potential ATI fix.

Edited by MikeP at 15:24:47 30-08-2012
  • WoodenSpoon 30 Aug 2012 15:28:15 12,273 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think ATI has an equivalent setting to nVIdia's threaded optimisation, if you can find that in your graphics card settings (Catalyst Control Centre?) try turning it off and then doing the flush thing when the graphics go mad.

edit - too slow!

Edited by WoodenSpoon at 15:28:42 30-08-2012
  • Cosquae 30 Aug 2012 15:31:44 1,179 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @MikeP You are becoming a proper bastard in game... Eve has served you well! Sniping people in the back when they can't see you... sure beats being scared of zombies looking for beans.

As for the large number of people following Mike's example and playing like deathmatch, there's not much else to do end game once you've got decent gear. Survival isn't an issue so that's why Rocket is looking at things for the endgame in the standalone (bunkers etc).

Tempted to give away my plethora of loot to someone who hasn't yet experienced the end game/good gear so they can play it that way whilst I have fun looking for stuff again.
  • MikeP 30 Aug 2012 15:56:03 1,758 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cosquae wrote:
    @MikeP You are becoming a proper bastard in game... Eve has served you well! Sniping people in the back when they can't see you... sure beats being scared of zombies looking for beans.

As for the large number of people following Mike's example and playing like deathmatch, there's not much else to do end game once you've got decent gear. Survival isn't an issue so that's why Rocket is looking at things for the endgame in the standalone (bunkers etc).

Tempted to give away my plethora of loot to someone who hasn't yet experienced the end game/good gear so they can play it that way whilst I have fun looking for stuff again.
    The cheek of it! I was meting out RESTORATIVE JUSTICE.

I'm fully expecting to be script-killed at some point, but at least I can say Murders 0 Bandits Corrected 1
  • Rusty_M 30 Aug 2012 18:24:10 4,555 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm so tempted to try to be a bandit hunter one of these days. I rarely encounter random humans when I play. Last time I did, I was just starting out, and we rounded the corner of a building almost bumping into each other. I didn't even have a hatchet yet, and he had a shotgun or rifle.

I bravely ran away. That was my Sir Robin Char.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• Leolian 30 Aug 2012 18:32:10 1,068 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    MikeP wrote:
    I think with them being trying to be "realistic" some of the obvious good guy incentives (like blood/food/water restoration if you killed bandits) would be out of the question.

One thing they could do would be to manipulate the loot drop tables, so that if you had a high level of humanity you found better stuff, or at least found it more frequently. You could do that silently without really breaking the feel of the game. Call it Karma.

Yep, sounds good. I had the same thought.
  • Cosquae 30 Aug 2012 18:41:59 1,179 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Leolian wrote:
    MikeP wrote:

Yep, sounds good. I had the same thought.
    Problem being three fold.

Firstly, since (most) loot spawns when you get within a certain radius of a building, all you need to do is keep one higher humanity player in your group and then even the bandits can still reap the good stuff or be somewhere where a hero has been in the past 15 minutes.

Secondly, the best loot is in crashed helicopters and they spawn loot upon server restart where humanity level is irrelevant.

Lastly, the quickest and easiest way of getting loot is dead bodies. You don't create dead bodies by being a nice guy ;)

Edited by Cosquae at 18:42:36 30-08-2012
  • MikeP 30 Aug 2012 21:23:52 1,758 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You and your facts. :p
  • caligari 30 Aug 2012 22:26:13 16,977 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Err, let's say that a player was about to be shot in the head by a bandit...before the bullet is fired, the coward/player disconnects.

Is there a chance that I...I mean 'the player' will be dead when they log back in?
  • richardiox 30 Aug 2012 23:39:12 5,520 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Frankie has uploaded his latest and last DayZ vid. Says hes sacking it off as 60% of the playerbase are using hacks. And as a result even the remaining 40% are in maps full of overpowered hacked-in weapons waiting to be looted from corpses.

Guess using gaming logic the only wait to beat a hacker is to become one yourself. Real shame.

Pretty fun vid anyway, especially the bus scenes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHsuOcXR0oU&feature=youtube_gdata_player
  • Neut 31 Aug 2012 00:32:46 380 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ran through Cherno with a hatchet, came up behind someone standing in the middle of the road with an L85 not paying attention, hacked him to death while singing Sexy and I know it in direct chat. His friend with a hatchet chased me down and killed me.

Friend and I wandering along the coast near Electro, come across an unarmed survivor, he sees my bandit skin and AKM, panics and dives off the pier into the water below. I tell him to relax and that we won't shoot him in direct chat, I leave him some food and bandages, my friend drops her m1911 for him. We walk off, and a safe distance away look back and see him tentatively come out of hiding and collect the loot before running off into the hills. Bless :')

Friend and I sneak up on 4 guys in a forest trying to refuel their freshly repaired helicopter. Gun them all down before they have a chance to react. Finish refueling chopper and fly around Chenarus. Skydive over cherno and get shot before I reach the ground :D.

Yeh after seeing the end game content it's a lot more fun now to dick around near the coast without caring about dying or gear. Although having said that, one run along the western and northern edges of the map for tents and you're kitted out with nvgs, ghillies, rangefinders as50s/svds again. So much duping going on I don't think the owners even care if their shit gets looted...
  • MikeP 31 Aug 2012 10:01:15 1,758 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Got killed last night, but before I did I nearly got done by something that was so suspicious I'm presuming it was a hack.

Log in, having concealed myself under a tree surrounded by heavy tree cover the night before. On spawning I hear a chopper, the occupants of which immediately locate me and start firing. Badly, fortunately for me, so I log out.

I find it very hard to believe that was any sort of coincidence. I presume they just teleported the chopper to my location.

I think I've had my fill of DayZ for the moment. It was fun while it lasted, and I'm looking forward to how they develop the full game, but for now I'll leave it to t3h l33t scriptorz.
  • urban 31 Aug 2012 23:19:04 10,916 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I love coming back to this thread to read stories. Really is the sorta game you don't even really have to play to enjoy, being aware is almost enough!
  • HitchHiker 2 Sep 2012 16:24:57 2,762 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Is it just me or does Frankie sound like Steve Coogan.
  • SuperBas 2 Sep 2012 20:52:34 1,450 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Me and my friends set up a tent camp with lots of loot, now we are just running around, shooting people from half a mile away. Or quietly walking up behind them and whispering into their ear before shooting them with an LMG.
  • Leolian 2 Sep 2012 22:15:17 1,068 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    SuperBas wrote:
    Me and my friends set up a tent camp with lots of loot, now we are just running around, shooting people from half a mile away. Or quietly walking up behind them and whispering into their ear before shooting them with an LMG.
    Wish I had done this. Starting from scratch is not always fun, unless you spawn near cherno/elektro or balota. I'm rarely on the same server for long though as populations vary so much.
  • geeza2020 3 Sep 2012 11:40:36 1,877 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @richardiox

I spent all night last night watching that guys vids, he's like some kind of Day Z superhero! I hope he does some more at some point, he's the kind of guy I had hoped Day Z would be filled with, but in the end it has become a bit of a hack/grief fest :(

Come back Frankie!
  • caligari 3 Sep 2012 11:51:50 16,977 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    HitchHiker wrote:
    Is it just me or does Frankie sound like Steve Coogan.
    Yes.

Partridge really should have his own Let'sPlay channel.
  • HitchHiker 3 Sep 2012 18:09:47 2,762 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yes it's just me or Yes he does . . . lol.

Went back to this last night, found a quiet server and headed up to Stary Sobor. Passing by the outskirts of Vyshnoye, I managed to aggro the whole town of Zeds. I survived barely but had no ammo left in my Revolver or AKM afterwards and my health was around 1600. Between the passing out and the shaking, I managed to get to Stary.

This was the first time I've been there although I've seen it on loads of YouTube vids, the military camp was relatively Zed free. Picked up a AKS-74 Kobra (no idea if it's better than the AKM but I swapped them anyway as it's got a sight) and a truck load of ammo and an Alice pack.

I got out of the camp and went up the hill behind it and found a Boar, which was quickly sliced, diced and cooked which stopped all the passing out. Then just over the hill was a downed chopper, did a long crawl which got me by all the Zeds without attracting attention but it was a wasted effort really. Couldn't see much of value over what I already had although I did find some Morphine. Made it back to the hill and then headed east away from Stary as the server was getting more populated and that makes me nervous :)
  • Cosquae 4 Sep 2012 11:45:44 1,179 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Weeeee! Got a helicopter and flying it like a demon...

Half expected to be consumed by a fireball within 30 seconds after flying into the ground but my tour of the air was great. Landed it safely and still got plenty of fuel for another go!
  • Page

of 76 First / Last