The Elder Scrolls Online

• Page

of 10 First / Last

Previous
  • Daeltaja 3 May 2012 18:26:03 1,125 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    After much speculation, it's official. Is it just me, or did this come out of nowhere? As mentioned in the article, it's been in development for years.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-05-03-the-elder-scrolls-online-announced

The Elder Scrolls series has always seemed like a perfect fit for an online world. I'm guessing the combat system will be completely overhauled for this and I can see it going down the subscription route, even if it's the wrong choice.

Edited by Daeltaja at 18:28:20 03-05-2012
  • kalel 3 May 2012 18:30:35 88,511 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Very interesting. Slightly hard to see an MMO working in this world, especially with PvP, but I'll be interested to see what they come up with.

PC/Mac seems an oversight as well. The consoles are still crying out for an MMO and Elder Scrolls has a large audience on those platforms.
  • ecu 3 May 2012 18:30:57 77,090 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The only surprise is that it's been announced before E3.

Will keep an eye on it, though it'll have to stray pretty damn far from your average MMO to get me interested.
  • ResidentKnievel 3 May 2012 18:32:17 6,243 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Daeltaja wrote:
    After much speculation, it's official. Is it just me, or did this come out of nowhere?
    Don't those two sentences contradict each other?

Hope it's not a WoW clone, although it most certainly will be.

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• ecu 3 May 2012 18:32:39 77,090 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Knighty 3 May 2012 19:01:17 984 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hope it comes to next gen consoles. I played Morrowind on PC but I like to settle down on a couch if I'm playing a game for 200 hours plus!

Edited by Knighty at 19:01:53 03-05-2012
  • Fydria 3 May 2012 19:17:45 561 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I knew it would get announced one day, can't imagine how long it will take them to develop it though.
  • WrongShui 3 May 2012 19:20:08 6,620 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sandbox fantasy Eve clone then yay.

WoW like cash grab then nay.
  • ronuds 3 May 2012 19:25:23 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Knighty wrote:
    Hope it comes to next gen consoles. I played Morrowind on PC but I like to settle down on a couch if I'm playing a game for 200 hours plus!
    Yeah, it's about time consoles got a decent MMORPG. I doubt it, though... maybe next gen, if at all.
  • WinterSnowblind 3 May 2012 19:33:19 1,246 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    WrongShui wrote:

That's pretty much how I feel. I could get into this if it's an Elder Scrolls game with a persistent online world, but not if they've simply taken the licence and made another WoW clone.
  • Daeltaja 3 May 2012 19:42:42 1,125 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @ResidentKnievel

Not really. Speculation has been rife for years, but the announcement came out of nowhere. I'm just surprised they did save the it until a big trade show.

I agree with ecureuil; if this sticks too closely to current MMO trops, it won't be of any interest to me, particularly if they use the sub model. I've a feeling we're all about to be spoiled by Guild Wars 2 :p

Edited by Daeltaja at 19:46:28 03-05-2012
  • Deleted user 3 May 2012 21:13:31
    Needs some form of Kinect "N'wah" insult function. Will save countless abusive messages from kidz when you steal their skooma.
  • ecu 4 May 2012 03:26:46 77,090 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Rumour – The Elder Scrolls Online GI leak details questing, PvP, combat, and more

What appears to be the upcoming GameInformer cover story on The Elder Scrolls Online has leaked into the wild, outing a huge pile of new information.

The 19 page PDF looks to be pulled from the digital issue for June, and includes screenshots, artwork, and oodles of new intel.

“What happens when hundreds or thousands of prophesised heroes all think that they should be emperor?” the feature asks in discussing the game’s plot, which has the Tharn family making a pact with Minnimarco in order to re-establish Imperial dominance. Minnimarco’s alliance with Molag Bal explains the player’s ability to be resurrected over and over again.

According to the document, players can join every guild in the game, with the Fighters, Thieves and Mages Guild mentioned specifically, and will be able to learn a “far broader” set of skills than ever before. Reaching the level cap is said to take about 120 hours.

An emphasis on stamina management seems to be key to combat, although skilful fighting increases a player’s “finesse”, which is then used to unleash an “ultimate” attack and unlock more loot. Finesse can be built by combining attacks with fellow players. Enemies have access to the same skills as player characters.

The three factions mentioned in earlier leaks are linked to specific races, and each maintains large armies and seeks to expand its territories while remaining independent of the Imperials. Nords, Dunmer and Argonians hold the north and east as part of the Ebonheart Pact; Altmer, Bosmer and Khajiit make up the Aldmeri Dominion in the south east; while Bretons, Redguard and Orcs hold the north west as the Daggerfall Covenant. Environments are fully explorable, and the game world is said to be much, much larger than Skyrim’s. The article says Khajiit homeland Elsweyr and Altmer realm Summerser Isle are included, but that not every province will be available at launch – expansions are expected. Cyrodil is the main PvP realm.

The MMO is said to feature a levelling and quest system similar to single-player Elder Scrolls games, with a strong emphasis on small events, like the random encounters with bandits and villagers in the wilds of Skyrim. Zenimax Online is aiming for a “hubless” design, so players don’t have to be constantly running back to one or two towns for quests. One quest was detailed, involving an army of werewolves and a trip back into the past, in which a player can wipe out an entire family with the result that NPCs disappear from the game’s present.

Screens show a skeletal knight in an Alyeid ruin; a mage and a sworsdman battling a pair of storm atronachs outside a ruined fort; what seems to be the same pair fighting a weird and horrible plant thing in a mushroom filled cavern; a warrior chatting in a library; what seems to be an Ordinator; a swordsman fighting a flesh atronach; three characters attacking a flesh atronach; a female mage and warrior pair having a chat outside another Alyied ruin; one of those crab men things; and more.

The Elder Scrolls Online is expected to launch in 2013, on Mac and PC.
  • speedofthepuma 4 May 2012 06:12:13 13,309 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I just don't need this, I get so much joy from the single player, that by the time I have exhausted it I am exhausted of the world.

Maybe the gap will be big enough that I will be raring for more, however I would prefer another single player experience by that stage,

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• SClaw 4 May 2012 06:52:16 826 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I just don't think this is going to translate to MMO. That leak is also promising way too much...
  • WinterSnowblind 4 May 2012 09:43:37 1,246 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think GW2 made some amazingly impressive changes to the MMO formula. Going by the leaked reports though, this is nothing like that (which isn't surprising, considering it'll have been in development for a long time, but still). It sounds like everything I don't want from this game.
  • NOSAVIOUR 4 May 2012 11:57:54 2,804 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    First Pics
  • Whizzo 4 May 2012 13:44:18 43,219 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Those graphics look a bit, er, shit.

This space left intentionally blank.

• monkehhh 4 May 2012 14:02:07 3,437 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    KILL 10 MUDCRABS.
  • quadfather 23 Jan 2013 15:29:05 12,979 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    official site

Can't decide about this one. Sounds interesting, but I'm not sure I've got the energy for another full on mmo

They're taking beta signups though, so might be a good time to have a look see

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• Sharzam 23 Jan 2013 17:39:57 3,060 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Iam equal parts intreasted and bored. It sounds like a hyped generic cash in, on the other hand Zenimax and Bethasda would not want to risk the Elder Scrolls name on some throw away title.

If it is generic fantasy MMO world i will just stick to Rift as no point changing. However if they have some intreasting ideas i will atleast give them a look. Far to many games try to stick to a template to just print money however in MMO land that doesnt work. We players become invested in the games and worlds so if just a copy paste job we wont migrate.

More positive, is that Guild Wars 2 could of easily been just another fantasy setting but it had enough new ideas and intreasting mechanics to attract players. I might not of made it my home but i at least tried it out for a while and can see why some people have stayed as it is fundamentally a good game. So signed up for the Beta to see what sort of direction they are taking it in, is it the Guild Wars 2 direction or the Star Wars: Old Republic direction ?

Known as 'Sharzam' in 98.5% of games

• Puppaz 24 Jan 2013 23:34:57 329 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The beta sign up vid looked amazing... and... nothing at all like the game or gameplay will be.
    *sadface*
  • Pompeybear 27 Jan 2013 09:59:24 454 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    WrongShui wrote:

Seconded , make it a harsh horrible world. Die in EVE and its disaster, any other game its meh!
  • phAge 27 Jan 2013 14:35:13 24,387 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Never played a MMO in my life, but this looks a bit nifty. Any idea if it will be qualitatively different from WOW and its ilk or just more of the same?
  • MikeP 27 Jan 2013 21:04:40 1,962 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've applied for the Beta. I really hope it's not a WoWalike.

PSN ID: Mikenetic

• magicpanda 28 Jan 2013 09:09:15 13,419 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I reckon it will be a standard themepark PVP MMO.

I hope I'm wrong, a sandbox fantasy eve clone would be bloody ace.
  • MikeP 28 Jan 2013 15:36:05 1,962 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Didn't realise they were single-sharding it.

If they genuinely do incorporate some of the facets of a single universe like Eve that could be fantastic.

This guy has some things to say about the Alpha preview.

PSN ID: Mikenetic

• Page

of 10 First / Last

Previous