Galaxy S III Page 6

• Page

of 15 First / Last

• Deleted user 19 September 2012 18:56:39
    Six months til the S4. I find the S3 a lovely phone. Works a treat and is as slick as anything.
  • Deckard1 19 Sep 2012 18:57:00 25,406 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I fucking love mine

Called it

• griff_dai 19 Sep 2012 18:58:57 399 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm selling mine for a shiny new Windows 8 phone, the new HTC phone announced today probably
  • cheeky_prawnking 19 Sep 2012 19:09:04 3,794 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Boab See knowing this, I am thinking get the phone, if I the S4 does come out,I can cancel my contract get the S4 on a contract, and give my old man the S3, extreme yes, but jesus the HTC does my head in
  • Mr-Brett 19 Sep 2012 19:52:08 12,676 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Darren I look forward to your no doubt in depth reviews of them then :)

Portable view - Never forget.

• cheeky_prawnking 19 Sep 2012 20:13:35 3,794 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Ordered :'(
  • Deleted user 19 September 2012 22:48:21
    You can't really regret it, it's a cracking thing.
  • Armoured_Bear 19 Sep 2012 23:04:27 8,746 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    So, if you buy one on these and a 64GB card, do you have 96GB continuos memory to use?
    For a Mac/iTunes user, how easy is it to transfer music across, how good are the music players?

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Deleted user 19 September 2012 23:12:21
    Not really sure about the memory thing, I dont have a card in mine but it's as easy as moving some stuff to a usb stick. The music players are hit and miss. PowerAmp pretty much turns the phone the best mp3 player I've ever owned.
  • Armoured_Bear 19 Sep 2012 23:16:36 8,746 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Boab wrote:
    Not really sure about the memory thing, I dont have a card in mine but it's as easy as moving some stuff to a usb stick. The music players are hit and miss. PowerAmp pretty much turns the phone the best mp3 player I've ever owned.
    Cheers.
    If I dump a shitload of Apple Lossless files on it, will it handle tags, have it all organised and stuff?

Basically after several years of iPhones I'm about to get a new contract and unsure whether to get another iPhone or try one of these (or even wait for a Lumia 920).
    As I use Macs, iPads, Apple TV at home I'm well entrenched in their ecosystem and a complete Android N00B, the S3 is a nice phone though.

• Kay 19 Sep 2012 23:26:49 17,402 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    http://easyphonesync.com/

Worked a treat on my S3. Or you can just drag and drop using the file browser, all iTunes tags etc. should be intact (although I'm not sure it'll be the same for Apple lossless files). The phone itself has 16GB internal memory, so whacking a 64GB card will give you about 70GB usable memory in total after formatting, system files etc.

Poweramp is great, but still not quite as slick and stable as the iPhone music application.
  • Anthony_UK 19 Sep 2012 23:41:27 2,388 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I was an iphone user for 4 years and after owning an S3 now i can't really imagine going back Apple, I absolutely love the thing!
  • Dougs 19 Sep 2012 23:48:41 64,891 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    PowerAmp is much more customisable though. One problem with it for me is that it keeps forgetting half my tracks. Fuck knows why, all the folders are sorted.
  • Armoured_Bear 20 Sep 2012 07:05:08 8,746 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Anthony_UK wrote:
    I was an iphone user for 4 years and after owning an S3 now i can't really imagine going back Apple, I absolutely love the thing!
    Could you give more details please?
    Thanks.

• CosmicFuzz 20 Sep 2012 07:42:19 21,240 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ahhh this or 920, can't decide!

What's your thoughts on Heroes Reborn? Read my TV musings here.

• cheeky_prawnking 21 Sep 2012 18:30:14 3,794 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Well it has arrived and I am impressed. Minor quibble with WiFi connection but that seems to have been resolved and think that was done to the router rather than the phone anyway.

Just had a Android update, anyone else had one this week? The only one I am aware of is Jelly Bean, but that was October wasn't it?
  • Anthony_UK 21 Sep 2012 19:15:49 2,388 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Anthony_UK wrote:
    Thanks.
    I'd been with apple since the 3g. At the time I was pretty much blown away and from then on I've stuck with the iphone.  It always just worked almost pretty without fault, and to be honest I've always lapped up the hype and just assumed everything else was second best...

I did dabble with the HTC desire when what was released, but for me android still just felt a bit of a jack of all trades and just lacked that slickness of IOS.

But after 4 years of IOS I just fancied a change to be honest and with O2 giving me the option to give the S3 back if I didn't like it, I gave it a bash. Admitidly for the first few weeks I was unsure as everything was just so different but come the 3rd week I realised I couldn't do without it. It just felt that finally the phones and software were at a level where android felt almost as slick as IOS but the almost overwhelming level of customisation and flexibility that comes with android.

For example on my home screen I have a live widget of the BBC news with folders underneath similar to had my iphone, but on the screen/page to the left and right I have a full screen widget of my Google reader feed and email... Without having to actually go into an app. I even have a bit torrent client on there... But everything is changeable, don't like the keyboard then change it... It's all common knowledge to the Android faithful but I love the thing.

The camera is instant, the screen is great and when browsing it even has features I didn't expect like the reader feature converting web pages into a readable format... I can't really mark the phone down in any way other than sometimes when you want to use it quickly one handed, its just that little to big to use comfortably without fear of dropping it... I've not done it yet but I'd say this thing would pretty much disintegrate on impact with a solid surface.

But if your tempted I'd definitely take the plunge, the iphone 5 announcement and hype levels genuinely seems baffling after using this for a couple of months and I was one of the people queuing at the Apple store for the iphone 4.

Edited by Anthony_UK at 19:17:29 21-09-2012
  • crashVoodoo 21 Sep 2012 19:18:32 3,821 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    cheeky_prawnking wrote:
    Well it has arrived and I am impressed. Minor quibble with WiFi connection but that seems to have been resolved and think that was done to the router rather than the phone anyway.

Just had a Android update, anyone else had one this week? The only one I am aware of is Jelly Bean, but that was October wasn't it?
    it was a power management related to improve battery

Edited by crashVoodoo at 19:21:46 21-09-2012

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• Armoured_Bear 21 Sep 2012 19:24:00 8,746 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Anthony_UK wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Anthony_UK wrote:
    Thanks.
    I'd been with apple since the 3g. At the time I was pretty much blown away and from then on I've stuck with the iphone.  It always just worked almost pretty without fault, and to be honest I've always lapped up the hype and just assumed everything else was second best...

I did dabble with the HTC desire when what was released, but for me android still just felt a bit of a jack of all trades and just lacked that slickness of IOS.

But after 4 years of IOS I just fancied a change to be honest and with O2 giving me the option to give the S3 back if I didn't like it, I gave it a bash. Admitidly for the first few weeks I was unsure as everything was just so different but come the 3rd week I realised I couldn't do without it. It just felt that finally the phones and software were at a level where android felt almost as slick as IOS but the almost overwhelming level of customisation and flexibility that comes with android.

For example on my home screen I have a live widget of the BBC news with folders underneath similar to had my iphone, but on the screen/page to the left and right I have a full screen widget of my Google reader feed and email... Without having to actually go into an app. I even have a bit torrent client on there... But everything is changeable, don't like the keyboard then change it... It's all common knowledge to the Android faithful but I love the thing.

The camera is instant, the screen is great and when browsing it even has features I didn't expect like the reader feature converting web pages into a readable format... I can't really mark the phone down in any way other than sometimes when you want to use it quickly one handed, its just that little to big to use comfortably without fear of dropping it... I've not done it yet but I'd say this thing would pretty much disintegrate on impact with a solid surface.

But if your tempted I'd definitely take the plunge, the iphone 5 announcement and hype levels genuinely seems baffling after using this for a couple of months and I was one of the people queuing at the Apple store for the iphone 4.
    Most interesting, thanks a lot.

• Blaizefm 21 Sep 2012 19:53:46 232 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm a dyed in the wool iPhone fan. I really like the look of the S3 but I'm very much tied into the iOS ecosystem - it works for me and I have no desire to change. Competition is great! I hope MS and Nokia join the party and we all benefit from these tech behemoths vying for our hard earned cash.
  • beastmaster 21 Sep 2012 21:13:19 10,176 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is there really an S4 coming out in March? That's when my contract runs out.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• crashVoodoo 21 Sep 2012 21:32:35 3,821 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @beastmaster nah, too soon. it will most like be around the same time again

even samsung have come and denied it

• Deleted user 22 September 2012 04:35:48
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Boab wrote:
    Cheers.
    If I dump a shitload of Apple Lossless files on it, will it handle tags, have it all organised and stuff?

Basically after several years of iPhones I'm about to get a new contract and unsure whether to get another iPhone or try one of these (or even wait for a Lumia 920).
    As I use Macs, iPads, Apple TV at home I'm well entrenched in their ecosystem and a complete Android N00B, the S3 is a nice phone though.
    ALAC is open source, would have thought there'd be an audio player that supports it.
  • beastmaster 22 Sep 2012 06:58:11 10,176 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Here I was, really looking forward to the new iPhone and looking forward to going back to Apple. Now it's arrived and I'm totally underwhelmed. Don't get me wrong, I love my MBP, iPad etc but not the new phone. At all. Or the new OS. There are a few good things there but not much.

I'll go and have a play around with one but from what people have told me who have for one, they don't like them (got through work).

The reason I was looking forward to going back to Apple was that I've had a few problems with my S2 and I had to get it fixed in the end. All my calanders etc. are on the Mac. The S2 works fine now and they've put ICS on it, which is way better than the previous OS.

I've played around with the S3 and am mightily impressed.

Dunno, I may change my mind again. Not really the most important thing in life though is it? Although it is according to Apple.

Edited by beastmaster at 06:58:55 22-09-2012

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• crashVoodoo 22 Sep 2012 08:37:16 3,821 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    Here I was, really looking forward to the new iPhone and looking forward to going back to Apple. Now it's arrived and I'm totally underwhelmed. Don't get me wrong, I love my MBP, iPad etc but not the new phone. At all. Or the new OS. There are a few good things there but not much.

I'll go and have a play around with one but from what people have told me who have for one, they don't like them (got through work).

The reason I was looking forward to going back to Apple was that I've had a few problems with my S2 and I had to get it fixed in the end. All my calanders etc. are on the Mac. The S2 works fine now and they've put ICS on it, which is way better than the previous OS.

I've played around with the S3 and am mightily impressed.

Dunno, I may change my mind again. Not really the most important thing in life though is it? Although it is according to Apple.
    I suppose the silver lining in this is that since its new and rare as rocking horse shit you can sell it and make a ton and buy another phone with cash to spare.

• Darren 28 Sep 2012 17:02:06 8,316 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    After almost two weeks of owning the S3, I have to say that it is an astonishing piece of kit but, please, bear in mind that I came up from a really old Motorola RAZR flip phone that had very few features. No doubt people familiar with smart phones will be less bedazzled by the leap in technology than I am.

My only gripes with this phone are the fact the apps cannot be installed to the 64 GB microSD card I have fitted (though that comes in handy for the MP3s I have as it gives me 8X more space than on my Sony MP3 Walkman!). That means that despite have 1.2 GB free on the phone's memory after installing a number of larger 1 GB+ games, I've found that I'm restricted to apps and games of 700 MB or less. That is because even if the phone has 500 MB of storage left, it will refuse to install even a 3 MB app. Dunno whether that is a feature or a bug.

Also the volume with the earphones is not as loud as I'd like as I have to have it on full volume to be at the level my Walkman was at on 19 out of 30. It's loud enough but MP3s are rarely recorded at the same volume so I cannot crank them up any further.

Otherwise this a terrific phone, very easy to use and versatile. I'm looking forward to the forthcoming Jellybean 4.1.1 update which apparently is imminent as German T-Mobile users got it just a few hours ago and Poland a few days ago. So it seems to edging nearing to the UK! :)

Edited by Darren at 17:02:47 28-09-2012

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 3 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• Deleted user 28 September 2012 17:05:06
    Install something like PowerAmp to boost the sound.
  • Deleted user 28 September 2012 17:07:34
    Also.
  • Stranded87 28 Sep 2012 17:26:54 767 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Darren You should be able to install most things to SD card, not sure if there's a way to default to that but if you go into settings and look at an application there should (in many cases) be an option to move it to SD card. This doesn't apply to all apps and I think in a lot of cases some files are still left on the phone, but a lot of it can be put on SD.
  • Mr-Brett 28 Sep 2012 17:45:35 12,676 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Normally on Android you can tick a box for defualting installs to the SD but even the settings is a slightly different Samsung version on the S3.

Still it does have 12GB of useable space on the phone which is fair old amount. My last phone (original HTC Desire) had 56MB of onboard storage, although did come with a 4GB SD it was still a constant ball-ache.

Portable view - Never forget.

• Page

of 15 First / Last