Registered 4 years ago
    Samsung's 'Next Galaxy' event

... starts at seven o'clock on the dot.

Anyone else as excited as me?

: )
  • Peew971 3 May 2012 21:23:19 5,153 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So, great specs shit design. Is that the consensus?

XBL: Shadow Thi3f

• grey_matters 3 May 2012 21:30:32 3,860 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It does seem like a great phone that is not quite great enough. Still, it is good enough to battle HTC's recent efforts in various ways. I'm waiting for a dual-core ARM A15 phone I think (hopefully Galaxy Note 2), although the PureView 808 from Nokia grows on me every day. It looks a good option for anyone needing a top-end phone right now.
  • PearOfAnguish 3 May 2012 23:15:51 7,463 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I was at the launch and had a play around with it. Very nice display, the phone feels fast, it was quick to respond though I didn't get a chance to run benchmarks or anything. The hardware is alright, it's suprisingly compact considering the screen size but still doesn't feel as premium as the iPhone as they've once again used a plastic body, think I preferred the S2's shape as well, the S3 is a bit generic, though not unattractive.

And unlike the HTC One X it has a memory card slot. Will prob pick one up at the end of the month.

Edited by PearOfAnguish at 23:18:55 03-05-2012
  • THFourteen 3 May 2012 23:26:11 34,270 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm a bit meh about it tbh. Fully expected to be blown away but there's nothing that sets it apart from the one x, and very little that sets it apart from the note. Pleased, as I am happy with my note.
  • dsmx 4 May 2012 00:33:10 7,692 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    well something may set it apart from the one x is possibly the battery life although we'll have to wait for it to be out in the real world for that one.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• grey_matters 4 May 2012 00:47:46 3,860 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    dsmx wrote:
    well something may set it apart from the one x is possibly the battery life although we'll have to wait for it to be out in the real world for that one.
    Also the 64GB version with a 64GB microSD would be of value for media and such. It's not quite right for me (I've another 11 months on an SG2 contract anyway) but things are lining up nicely for my next upgrade for sure.
  • dsmx 4 May 2012 00:54:45 7,692 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I forgot about that, the micro sd slot is a fantastic thing to have and a big omission from the one x, also doesn't it come with 2 years free storage at drop box the s3 I seem to recall reading.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• PearOfAnguish 4 May 2012 01:04:16 7,463 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, 50GB with Dropbox.

MicroSD is a must for me, won't buy a phone missing such a basic feature.
  • grey_matters 4 May 2012 01:05:21 3,860 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    dsmx wrote:
    I forgot about that, the micro sd slot is a fantastic thing to have and a big omission from the one x, also doesn't it come with 2 years free storage at drop box the s3 I seem to recall reading.
    I'm not sure, the HTC One X (and I think S) has 25GB Dropbox storage too. I can be out of coverage sometimes here so local storage can occasionally be an issue. The Note 2 could really tick a few boxes if they do it right.

Edited by grey_matters at 01:05:52 04-05-2012
  • THFourteen 4 May 2012 07:52:00 34,270 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    dsmx wrote:
    true and the removable battery and support for sd cards too I guess.

still its a little meh. out of interest do THD games work on non tegra processors?
  • crashVoodoo 4 May 2012 09:40:05 3,979 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    I'm a bit meh about it tbh. Fully expected to be blown away but there's nothing that sets it apart from the one x, and very little that sets it apart from the note. Pleased, as I am happy with my note.
    Me too. I got home early and was sat at the laptop all excited with my current nexus dangling over a trade in bag and my finger on the trigger with carphone warehouse. Then ... meh! I don't know what I was expecting but it just didn't grab me at all.

The pentile screen is a letdown. I really was expecting a full RGB setup. I'm sure it'll still look the bollocks but its not for me.

I do love all the fancy features but all that means to me is you need touchwiz which still looks like a skinned gingerbread with garish colours.
    It'll be harder to put aosp /aokp on there too and retain all the cool stuff.

Think I'll hold out for the next nexus or are what else comes along.

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• grey_matters 4 May 2012 10:24:33 3,860 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    LG Optimus LTE2 looks a bit better. 2GB RAM, Snapdragon S4, TrueHD (true as in non-pentile not as in 1080) IPS panel. Korea only from mid-May but no details on general release.
  • PearOfAnguish 4 May 2012 11:26:06 7,463 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Problem with the LG Optimus LTE2 is that it's LG, and they make shitty buggy handsets lacking any reasonable level of support.
  • ElNuevo9 4 May 2012 12:59:34 13,550 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm pretty torn between the Galaxy SIII and he HTC One X. Got my upgrade coming up next month, and I think I'm ready for a change after having various iPhones for the best part of four and a half years.

Galaxy has the edge at the moment, though I prefer the shape of the HTC.

Hated, adored, never ignored.

• Deleted user 4 May 2012 13:02:12
    Looks shit and is a massive step back design wise which is a shame coming from the S2 which despite what google and HTC etc. like to think was the real Android showpiece.
  • mrpon 4 May 2012 13:10:17 29,430 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    T3 4 page review One X 1,2,3,4

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• THFourteen 4 May 2012 14:24:15 34,270 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ElNino9 wrote:
    I'm pretty torn between the Galaxy SIII and he HTC One X. Got my upgrade coming up next month, and I think I'm ready for a change after having various iPhones for the best part of four and a half years.

Galaxy has the edge at the moment, though I prefer the shape of the HTC.
    i'd go for the galaxy simply because of the SD card and removable battery. Although the HTC might have a slightly better screen...

I'm not sure what more they can do with phones now, i think the current design has plateaued and it will take a few years for anything more than faster processors / more RAM / shinier screens.

i can't see what the iphone 5 will have, unless it has real life haptic feedback under your fingers.
  • Deleted user 4 May 2012 14:32:00
    got a galaxy note and I probably wouldn't recommend it over the galaxy s# tbh. Browsing isn't tablet good still so the extra size feels a bit redundant.
  • Dirtbox 5 May 2012 05:39:36 78,849 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/05/04/the-samsung-galaxy-s-iii-the-first-smartphone-designed-entirely-by-lawyers/

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Deleted user 5 May 2012 15:45:35
    "Designed by lawyers", or rather just being told what they can and can't steal design wise from Apple. Checking where that similar looking idea comes from before rather than after building it isn't quite the same as design by lawyers.
  • Kay 27 Jul 2012 13:13:35 17,954 posts
    Seen 1 second ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anyone get one of these then? Thinking of picking one up this weekend, as a replacement for my (now ancient) iPhone 3GS. I want an Android, and this seems to be the pick of the bunch for the features I want, although I'm not too keen on the colour schemes and glossy plastic finish on the phone. Will probably have to cover it up with one of those non-slip cases.

From what I've read, Samsung have an app that can easily transfer all the data from an iPhone to an S3. You can also continue using your iTunes library with the phone, which is a boon for me.
  • Deleted user 27 July 2012 13:15:51
    I got one a few weeks ago and it's a smashing handset. Dunno about the iTunes thing, I was on android before.
  • mcmonkeyplc 27 Jul 2012 13:20:49 39,521 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Easyphonesync

Come and get it cumslingers!

• mcmonkeyplc 27 Jul 2012 13:22:00 39,521 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've had it from launch and I can't fault it. Sleek and fast. Battery life is decent screen is huge.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• StarchildHypocrethes 27 Jul 2012 13:22:03 26,366 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My friend's got one and it's gigantic.

I think it's been designed with fat-fingered blind people in mind, which is quite noble.
  • Deleted user 27 July 2012 13:23:36
    Yeah it's fucking mahoosive. It's also incredibly light for the size of it and I've come close to lobbing the thing out of my hand a few times while pulling it out of my pocket.
  • mrpon 27 Jul 2012 13:24:56 29,430 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's a bit "bar of soap" for my liking.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Deckard1 27 Jul 2012 13:36:57 29,192 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm up for renewal in a couple of weeks and this is top of my list so far. The only thing that's putting me off is the size of it. I wish I didn't hate apple and everyone who's ever owned anything made by them so much, the iphones are pretty neat.

Fish fingers and chips pretty straight forward.

• Deleted user 27 July 2012 13:38:27
    There's not much else comes close to it for the deals you can get it on. It's the biggest no brainer of the summer.
  • Page

of 15 First / Last

Previous