The 3DS Virtual Console Recommendation Thread Page 2

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Next
  • Raiko101 6 May 2012 02:34:32 6,315 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ok, so this is more for the Ambassadors out there, but i've just started playing through Mario Kart: Super Circuit, alongside Metroid II and Mega Man. Anybody have any driving tips? It was immediately obviously that you can't drift around corners, so instead i've started letting off the accelerator momentarily, for the sharper corners. Is this the right way to go, can anybody remember? I sure can't and I distinctly remember beating this game when it first came out.

It's got me through all 5 original cups on 50cc at least, but I can imagine the difficulty in this one will rocket upwards compared to the more recent entries in the series.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• mal 6 May 2012 04:18:00 22,581 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    IIRC on Super Circuit, I found it helped to pick one of the lighter characters at least when learning the courses. The cornering when sliding is tighter and I found it more predictable.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• JinTypeNoir 17 May 2012 20:29:09 4,389 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I imagine Sonic Labyrinth got a really bad rap when it released on the Game Gear all those years ago, and I can only think it was warranted. However, this release comes with an emulator that allows you to get rid of the image blur that was so pervasive on the Game Gear. For me, that one difference turned the gamed into a wasted failure to a redeemed little curio. It's true it still has the mind-boggingly bad design to use the Sonic IP in a game where the main character walks at the speed of a turtle and only gets fast if you make him bounce off things like a ping-pong ball, on a system where such movement would clearly render the screen a blurry mess of pixels.

However, because you can actually see what is going on in the 3DS version, if you ignore the fact that the Sonic character is utterly inappropriate for this game, this is an addictive action puzzler that is pretty much extinct these days. This game right at the end of an era where game design was more about design interesting rules to make clever games that reflected the virtues of the most popular real-life games. So in several areas, actually, Sonic Labyrinth is way more impressive than a modern game.

The controls are very tricky and a little unsatisfying -- they could be better, but this is partially what makes the game compelling. Modern game design tells us our character should never be as hard or as tricky to get a grasp on as Sonic's slow-as-molasses-while-walking, but demonic-virtually-uncontrollable-pinball-of-doom when spinning. Getting good at the game and solving the increasingly clever stage designs is a real eye opener. You begin to realize just how much games may have lost by falling over themselves to be easy to understand these days.

Playing and doing well in this game was a great deal more fun than what I would consider by today's standards better-designed downloadable action puzzlers. This will probably put me in quite a few people's taste shit list, but I like this game way more than the very similar Marble Madness.

So my recommendation of late is Sonic Labyrinth, especially if you loved games like Solomon's Key, Equinox or the Megadrive game The Immortal.
  • fluff_the_tiger 2 Jun 2012 16:49:13 182 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Donkey Kong is brill, but I bought it purely because I had previously played it emulated on a DS lite with the super gameboy features and everything. It's a shame you can't play it that way on 3ds.

Also VVVVVV is great, the player levels included are just as good (if a lot harder) as the original game - put over 15 hours into it so far.
  • Raiko101 25 Jun 2012 19:45:27 6,315 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Anybody else here not get on with Super Mario Land 3? I'm still looking forward to playing Wario Land 4, but this game feels a little rushed. Apart from arguable the single worst jump mechanic i've ever used in a platform game, and something i've replicated in Flash in 2 minutes, the game is either a little on the easy side. The level design isn't all that interesting either.

I wouldn't say it was a bad game, but it's one i'm having to force myself to play through at the moment. It probably doesn't help that i've been playing New Super Mario Bros, Rayman Origins (Wii) and Donkey Kong Country Returns at the same time. Maybe I was just expecting more of a physical challenge with this game.

• Raiko101 31 Oct 2012 09:38:01 6,315 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Does anybody else still use the VC? I'm thinking of picking up Gradius on thursday. Can anybody recommend it? I'm a big fan of both Xevious and Twinbee, but it's whether or not I need another of its kind. It looks hard though.

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Next