P1mp your AV setup here

• Page

of 29 First / Last

Previous
  • silentbob 19 Dec 2004 23:06:17 28,958 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think it's fair to say quite a few people on these forums have dedicated AV setups in their homes. And in the spirit of "Go on, you show me yours and..." I thought I'd try and get some of you to post some piccies so thet we can all have a nosy at what EG regulards use to enjoy their Gaming / Movie goodness on.

I'm still in the process of upping mine, but I hope Ssuelid doesn't mind me posting a link to some snaps of his gear:

Ssuelid's g3ar

..go on everyone, you know you want to. ;)

Edit: Oh and if you could post a quick list of the equipment you have please.

Edit 2:

The Kit (some of it)
    My Precious
    Spot the cunning use of everyday household objects.
    In action
    Window on Tatooine

Apologies for the awful quality of the himages - I really need to learn how to take low light shots. And as ever, it's almost impossible to convey the image quality of the PJ - these shots don't do it justsice.

My Kit:
    Panasonic PT-AE700 Projector
    Panasonic (something old) 28" 16:9 TV
    Denon AVR-2802 DTS ES/DD EX/PLII Amp
    Mission 773e (Front)
    B&W CC6 (Centre)
    Mission 77DS (Rears)
    MJ Acoustics Reference 100 Active Subwoofer (Behind the sofa)
    Pioneer DV 575A - PAL/NTSC Progressive Scan (not pictured)
    Sony DVD NS400D (relegated to playing CD's)
    via Component -> PJ
    HCPC via VGA -> PJ

Edited by silentbob at 23:38:28 19-12-2004

Edited by silentbob at 23:40:31 19-12-2004

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• Mike_Hunt 19 Dec 2004 23:12:06 23,512 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Nice setup - gotta love the projector.

This photo is a little bit worrying though:

http://www.madvase.plus.com/Projector/target16.html

Oh and Ssuellid, what's that funky looking remote with the LCD screen?

I'd post likes to my setup, but, whilst I think it's cool and not an anorak and I'd fear you'd end up laughing at my cables or something like that.

Plus it would also give certain forumites the opporunity to take the piss out of my so called dark TV screen again.

[MH]
  • Freek 19 Dec 2004 23:14:09 7,687 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What I would like to have:
    The whole nine yards, with bells and whistels

I just got a normal TV with a sony 5.1 home theater set, not really anything to write home about.

Edited by Freek at 23:14:52 19-12-2004
  • Retroid Moderator 19 Dec 2004 23:30:54 44,512 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    /Notes down details

/Leave house with bag marked 'SWAG'
  • Shinji 19 Dec 2004 23:43:53 5,903 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Projectors rock. They're pretty much the highest resolution screens you're going to get for home cinema without spending the national debt of Ghana, and modern ones are incredibly bright and clear.

The only issue, of course, is that you still need to be able to darken the room to some extent to get the best out of one. But when was the last time you watched a movie in the middle of the day anyway?
  • silentbob 19 Dec 2004 23:48:51 28,958 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    otto wrote:
    silentbob wrote:
    The Kit (some of it)
    I've got that IKEA table - it's great isn't it?

The rest, I haven't got. :(

Are projectors really all that good? I'd assumed they were just a bit blurry and washed out. :/
    You'll probably notice taht Ssuelid has it too, it's a fairly popular choice amongst AV peeps - damn cheap and sturdy as hell!

RE Projector images, you couldn't really be more wrong. If you can try to imagine scaling what you see in your local cineplex and removing the noisy chavs from the from and back row, you are pretty much there.

I really have to stress just how enamoured I am with this thing! I've been all over the place boring the arse of anyone who will listen about it, it really is the best value equipment I have ever bought, bar none!

Just get one and you'll see.

• silentbob 19 Dec 2004 23:52:32 28,958 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Mike_Hunt wrote:
    This photo is a little bit worrying though:
    [MH]
    Why? It looks as if he forgot to turn the flash off. Even with a DLP you are almost always better off watching in a darkened room.

You can't think of these things as TV's - that's where most people get hung up. Spend 300 quid on a cheapo 28" 16:9 TV and the rest on your choice of Pj and screen. Best. Setup. Evar!

• silentbob 20 Dec 2004 00:09:18 28,958 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    otto wrote:
    silentbob wrote:
    Just get one and you'll see.
    Please leave me my illusions and don't tempt me! I only just dropped an absurd amount of money on a massive Sony WEGA. I wouldn't have anywhere to put a screen even if I could justify it to myself.
    Shit, sorry! What I mean is, I'm just trying to justify the money to myself, and in all honesty the image is probably not much improved over a 14" telly.

Is that better? ;)

• Razz 20 Dec 2004 00:16:05 61,091 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    silentbob wrote:
    I hope Ssuelid doesn't mind me posting a link to some snaps of his gear:

Ssuelid's g3ar

Where are all the blooming wires?! If I had that setup, wires would be hanging around everywhere! I spent ages staring at the ceiling mounted projector and speakers searching for the wires to no avail! Whats your secret mate? :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• Dirtbox 20 Dec 2004 00:20:25 77,746 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You know it'll be like a bowl of fried noodles behind that unit.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Razz 20 Dec 2004 00:30:34 61,091 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I hear that bro, I can't wait till the day some intelligent bod creates a wireless A/V standard built in to all devices. Actually... imagine accidently tuning into your neighbours home brew pr0n vid, not bad you say... imagine they're in thier 70's. :(

• silentbob 20 Dec 2004 00:38:50 28,958 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Christ, my room's a nightmare! In addition to the complete chaos at the back of the unit, I have the PC in the corner (itself a mini hellpit of cabledom) and then I have 2 sets of 3 core to my surround pair, one 10m coax to my sub, one 10m coax for SPDIF output from the Pioneer (thet feeds the PJ), one 15m VGA cable from the second output of my PC. All of which trail round the edge of the room. My carpet edge is looking increasingly ski-sloped.

Ssue looks like he's run his cables from the PJ through the room ceiling cavity (floorboards upstairs). That kind of work that is beyond me though. :/

Edited by silentbob at 00:39:37 20-12-2004

• Razz 20 Dec 2004 00:41:27 61,091 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Bob: Wow, through the walls eh... amazing stuff. If I actually get round to buying property I might do the same.

Harry: :D

• Foregone-Reality 20 Dec 2004 01:13:07 2,218 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    21" Hitachi TV with two RGB Scart Connections.

1 x PS2

1 x Xbox

1 x Gamecube

All hooked up to 1 x Exceptionally Powerful Technics Stereo.

Not great in comparison to your lot..But I've never seen or heard better quality from any other TV.

Bizarre..considering I also own a 32" Sony Widescreen.
  • catterz 20 Dec 2004 02:30:28 8,763 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I share a room with my mate and it's a complete tip. Everything is messed up apart from our "Entertainment Complex":

2 x 20" Normal TVs

2 x Xbox (8 controls, Halo, Halo 2, plus many others)

1 x PS2 (4 controls, multitap)

1 x GameCube (4 controls, Super Smash Bros. Melee)

1 x Very nice Sony Stereo

1 x Video Player (for dodgy videos)

...and of course...

1 x Refridgerator (packed full of lager and sausage rolls)

The games listed above are our favourite multiplayer games for each consoles; not the only games we have. We normally set the Xbox up to the stereo since it's used the most, but if the batteries run out in the DVD remote, we plug the set the PS2 up with the stereo. I've spent days in that room at a time surrounded by a multitude of take away packaging, (we live in a flat, and don't have to move far to get to the front door!)

Still stalking this place, old-school style (UID: 1053)

• Dirtbox 20 Dec 2004 02:47:57 77,746 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    1 x PC

Erm.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• crackbot666 20 Dec 2004 03:13:51 37 posts
    Registered 10 years ago
    hmm,
    36" widescreen surround sound jobbie
    MSX, Mega Drive loads of pads 70 odd games
    Snes and not so many games
    Saturn 60 odd games 8 pads and bomberman and deathtanks
    GC + GB player + wavebird (missing RF) 2 broken pads thanks to mario party and 3 working ones, 2 ps2 ->GC adapters
    Xbox 4 pads
    Semperon 2400 hooked up to TV for divx etc...

and some other stuff, maybe razz can remember

living room is cluttered as hell with guitars, amps and drum kit too.

Yes my neighbours hate me.
  • ssuellid 20 Dec 2004 09:11:53 19,141 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    MH, that piccie I forgot to turn the flash off - notice the bottle of wine in the picture. The big remote is a Philips Pronto thingy which I am having some problems programming - once its sorted all the other ones will go.

Razz, I had it professionally installed - the speaker cables go through the coving for the rears and under the carpet in little channels cut out of the underlay for the front 3. The video cables go through some ducting in the corner and then through the coving.

Toys are: -

Screenplay 5700 projector
    Denon 3802 AV amp - driving centre, rears and sub
    Cyrus 8vs stereo amp - driving the front left and right
    Cyrus CD8XT - CD player
    Denon DVD 2910 DVD player
    Nad CD player - for sale soon
    Dynaudio Audience 62 - front speakers
    Dynaudio 42W - wall mounted rears
    Dynaudio Audience 122C - centre speaker
    Dynaudio Sub 500 - sub woofer
    Owl 6 foot screen
    Sky+
    XBox not modded connected via SVideo
    PS2 PAL
    PS2 NTSC
    Cube
    DC
    Philips Pronto Remote
    JS Tech RGB to SVideo convertor.
    Philips 32PF5520 LCD.
    Xbox 360
    Pioneer DVR630H - DVD/HD recorder
    Octava 5-1 HDMI switch

Edited by ssuellid at 07:39:08 19-08-2006
  • ssuellid 20 Dec 2004 09:17:23 19,141 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    JCMONKEY wrote:
    Your a lucky guy to have that kind of set up, but your house looks extremely messy. What's up with that? Give it a tidy and you'll have pretty nang room.

That was the stuff that was in the way. I only moved in a few months ago and most of that stuff was going to be moved upstairs but I broke my thumb and damaged my shoulder so I cannot lift anything atm.

Its also the main reason the pictures are shit - I never noticed before how useful my right thumb is.

Edited by ssuellid at 09:25:06 20-12-2004
  • smoothpete 20 Dec 2004 10:47:23 31,501 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyone use an Acoustic Solutions 5.1 all-in-one set up like the DS1133? Sort of budget kit, decoder built in to the sub. I'm setting up a gaming room with a Toshiba projector but it's going to be in the loft room, I've already got 4 Eltax Monitor 3 shelf speakers which I could use with an AV decoder but I'm using them for music in the rest of the house and I think they would be overkill for what I'm looking to do. Or can anyone suggest a decent DVD/AV/Speaker all in one package that will take an optical input from an Xbox and push out in 5.1?
  • smoothpete 20 Dec 2004 10:56:25 31,501 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    rhythm wrote:
    Even cheaper - I'm using this and for the money I paid for it I cannot fault it in the slightest. It has optical and co-ax in, does DD and pumps out the perfect levels of sound for my room. If I were to buy one again I'd opt for one that does PLII, but I really don't feel like I'm missing anything major.
    Cool, I don't mind Acoustic Solutions stuff, I've got their DAB tuner separate and it does the job very well. It's only a small room anyway so I don't think I need too much power. Is the sub respectable?
  • smoothpete 20 Dec 2004 11:08:56 31,501 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    rhythm wrote:
    It's also generated complaints from the neighbours as the grunt it adds to car engines in Toca 2 is stunning! :D
    I'm thinking of making Full Spectrum Warrior the 1st game to bless the gaming room with, that must sound fecking awesome in 5.1 :p

/watches RPG fly through team members and explode nearby car fffssssshhhhhiioooooooBOOOOOOM
  • Mike_Hunt 20 Dec 2004 11:10:25 23,512 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ssuellid wrote:
    MH, that piccie I forgot to turn the flash off - notice the bottle of wine in the picture. The big remote is a Philips Pronto thingy which I am having some problems programming - once its sorted all the other ones will go.
    Ah, that makes sense. I realise that the darker the room the better when using a projector, but if it really did look that washed out, even in daylight, I'd be more than a little concerned.

[MH]
  • Razz 20 Dec 2004 12:24:10 61,091 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    /bookmarks thread

/looks at ssuelid's stup again

/cries

Edited by Razz at 12:24:45 20-12-2004

• ssuellid 20 Dec 2004 13:33:29 19,141 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mike_Hunt wrote:
    Ah, that makes sense. I realise that the darker the room the better when using a projector, but if it really did look that washed out, even in daylight, I'd be more than a little concerned.

I thought I would need blackout linings but just closing the main curtains seems to be enough. I'll see if I can get a better piccie at some point - if I can figure out how to do a timed exposure.
  • silentbob 20 Dec 2004 13:39:30 28,958 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Mike_Hunt wrote:
    [MH]
    But why? I don't understand. It's akin to going to the cinema and the lights never going down and being 'concerned' that the image was washed out. It is not a TV! It is designed for optimal use in low light conditions (although I'm sure Ssue's DLP is fine during reasonable daylight conditions).

BTW Ssuellid, how much did you get your Pronto for and where? I am sorely in need of a decent all in one (I think I am at 10 seperate remotes now :/).

• ssuellid 20 Dec 2004 13:46:31 19,141 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    silentbob wrote:
    BTW Ssuellid, how much did you get your Pronto for and where? I am sorely in need of a decent all in one (I think I am at 10 seperate remotes now :/).

www.letsautomate.com

They had a special deal on in August and I got the remote for IIRC 180ish. Total cost for the remote/dock and charger/RF extender and P&P was 306ish.

It is good and you can just download other peoples remote settings from remotecentral. Someone has even done a channel switching thing for Sky with the proper icons for each channel.
  • Xensor 20 Dec 2004 14:05:05 1,051 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Check out my expansive AV setup:

28" Toshiba 28ZH46 tv
    Silver PS2
    err...

umm...

cough...

• smoothpete 20 Dec 2004 14:16:16 31,501 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I can't be arsed with programmable remotes, I'm just gonna stick all my remotes to a plank of wood then nail that to the coffee table. Sorted.
  • tiddles 20 Dec 2004 15:30:38 3,555 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Shinji wrote:
    But when was the last time you watched a movie in the middle of the day anyway?

But when was the last time you opened the curtains in the middle of the day anyway?
  • Page

of 29 First / Last

Previous