Botanicula

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • neilka 19 Apr 2012 16:27:06 15,847 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The new adventure/puzzle game by Amanita Design (of Machinarium and Samarost fame) is released today!

It'll be available from GOG.com and Amanita themselves.

Adventure Gamers 4.5/5 review

A map is like comparing velocity and speed.

• kalel 19 Apr 2012 16:50:57 86,938 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nice. Machinarium was lovely. I wonder if they'll do an ipad version of this.
  • kalel 19 Apr 2012 16:51:13 86,938 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh, they already have. Awesome.
  • neilka 19 Apr 2012 17:18:05 15,847 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wot I Think from Rock Paper Shotgun:
    There’s no question over whether you should play this. Your $10 will buy you a few hours of utter joy, and flipping heck, why wouldn’t you want that? It’s infectiously lovely, smartly inventive, and plastered happiness all over my face.

• JohnCartney 19 Apr 2012 17:18:58 4 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 19 April 2012 18:24:50
    They're earning quite a lot of wrath at the moment, though - day one appearance in the Humble Bundle - http://www.humblebundle.com/ - lots of people are pretty pissed off about pre-ordering for what is now a premium.
  • Deleted user 19 April 2012 18:29:28
    Yep. I doubt I'll bother pre-ordering another indie game now until the bundles either go away or go back to what the first couple did and bundle older stuff.

Quite a few others have done something similar recently but not quite as retarded as that.
  • Deleted user 19 April 2012 18:29:53
    Potioninmypants wrote:
    Beeen meaning to ask about Machinarium which I think is brilliant but there's a serious issue with saves being deleted each day by some mysterious programs that delete Flash saves as part of a Windows security process. Apparently you can type REBOL to bring up dev console to select levels but it don't seem to work so anyone know how to get it working?

If Botanicula has the same degree of artistic quality and imagination as Machinarium I'm sold. Machinarium is so good I've played through the first few levels about 4 times happily trying to get the saves working.
    There's a Machinarium thread.
  • Deleted user 19 April 2012 18:35:35
    The Bundle bubble is about to burst, I feel, burn-out is definitely being felt. Too many repeats, and those that do have mostly original content like the Gamersgate one sell barely any copies. The Humble Bundle is very much a 'we'll only include high-profile games' thing and things like this same-day release is killing off goodwill to the developers, where you're basically being punished financially for supporting them ahead of time.
  • WinterSnowblind 19 Apr 2012 18:40:37 1,228 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    meme wrote:
    They're earning quite a lot of wrath at the moment, though - day one appearance in the Humble Bundle - http://www.humblebundle.com/ - lots of people are pretty pissed off about pre-ordering for what is now a premium.
    This is exactly what GOG were talking about a few days ago. People are too accustomed to paying so little for games now, there's virtually no reason to buy anything on the PC until it hits a sale. When they do things like this, it's even worse. They're just punishing the fans who were devoted enough to pre-order and pay full price.

It's going to have a nasty effect on the industry in the long run.

Edited by WinterSnowblind at 18:41:43 19-04-2012
  • Deleted user 19 April 2012 18:40:42
    Staff at GOG had no idea about this either, which to me is cementing the idea that the Humble Store is properly launching soon, and they want to take an early slice of GOG's pie, so to speak.
  • Deleted user 19 April 2012 18:42:15
    I think he might be a bit pissed off by the look of that post.
  • Deleted user 19 April 2012 18:45:00
    I'm kinda tempted to buy it for a penny, solely because the move has pissed me off a tiny bit.
  • Deleted user 19 April 2012 18:50:02
    And it costs them money.
  • Deleted user 19 April 2012 18:50:21
    Which you know :p
  • Deleted user 19 April 2012 19:14:56
    GOG have made a quasi-announcement about it - "Hey everyone; we just found out about the Humble Amanita Bundle. We're not sure exactly what yet, but we're going to come up with something for everyone who preordered Botanicula on GOG.com. Stay tuned and we'll try to come up with something tomorrow."

It's sad that they're having to rush around to please their fans because Amanita pulled a dick move.
  • SuperBas 19 Apr 2012 19:18:18 1,452 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago

After half an hour of trying to get that red berry in the hole under the key, I can truly say Amanita Design can go fuck themselves, and I'm glad I only paid $1 in the humble bundle.
  • neilka 19 Apr 2012 19:56:49 15,847 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh dear, the Humble Bundle thing is a little unfortunate. I think we should give Amanita the benefit of the doubt until we know what happened there though.

"GOGcom" is currently the top contributor to the bundle at $300...

• UncleLou Moderator 19 Apr 2012 20:21:51 35,506 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Don't get the fuss about the humble bundle unless people would actually have given less on there than Botanicula costs elsewhere (bit of a dick move in itself) and don't think Botanicula is worth their 10 Dollars.
  • Deleted user 19 April 2012 20:28:26
    UncleLou wrote:
    Don't get the fuss about the humble bundle unless people would actually have given less on there than Botanicula costs elsewhere (bit of a dick move in itself) and don't think Botanicula is worth their 10 Dollars.
    From an individual consumer viewpoint it's not so bad, but it's mostly a dick move towards GOG (who had absolutely no idea this was happening and who, in all honesty, I'd rather support financially than Humble Bundle or Amanita).
  • Deleted user 19 April 2012 20:28:48
    Amanita don't seem to think it's worth $10
  • Deleted user 19 April 2012 20:31:53
    Plus, there's the whole devaluation thing that Humble Bundles and whatnot have going on, people don't think it's worth $10 because constantly shoving games into bundles and massively discounted sales have devalued them to the point where some people refuse to buy games on GOG because their price points are over $5 per game.

App store mentality at work, really - "this $1.99 game doesn't provide as much content and updates as this totally different 99c game, therefore it is not worth $1.99".
  • neilka 19 Apr 2012 20:33:32 15,847 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    It wouldn't be so bad but if you buy it for $10 in the Humble Bundle you get three other games plus Kooky (which is great) plus the full soundtracks (versus GOG's three Botanicula tracks) plus Steam keys for all of them...

• UncleLou Moderator 19 Apr 2012 20:38:48 35,506 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @neilka But people can still buy the bundle for 1 Cent, so they'll have paid $10 for those other games and two copies of Botanicula.

@meme Fair point about GoG.
  • Deleted user 19 April 2012 20:45:09
    It's made slightly worse by the fact that Humble are imminently launching their own DRM-free Indie store (an announcement they made shortly after GOG announced -they- were going to start stocking Indie games). I'm still mostly convinced this move is partially, if not mostly, done to piss on GOG's chips. People start thinking "Why did I buy it from GOG when I could have had it for a dollar?" etc.

Botanica's been pulled from the banned display on GOG's front page (though it's still for sale on the store), which is interesting.
  • Deleted user 19 April 2012 20:59:06
    UncleLou wrote:
    @neilka But people can still buy the bundle for 1 Cent, so they'll have paid $10 for those other games and two copies of Botanicula.

@meme Fair point about GoG.
    The Bundle option is a single key for three games, non-giftable. I've gone for the Bundle (because I wanted the soundtrack) and now ended up with extra copies of Samarost and Machinarium that I can't pass on to others :-/
  • Deleted user 19 April 2012 21:06:45
    meme wrote:
    It's made slightly worse by the fact that Humble are imminently launching their own DRM-free Indie store (an announcement they made shortly after GOG announced -they- were going to start stocking Indie games). I'm still mostly convinced this move is partially, if not mostly, done to piss on GOG's chips. People start thinking "Why did I buy it from GOG when I could have had it for a dollar?" etc.

Botanica's been pulled from the banned display on GOG's front page (though it's still for sale on the store), which is interesting.
    And the Bundle has effectively been given free advertising for a new release for a better product. Given the average price, there are plenty of people who have paid less than $10.

I think GOG just need something in the contracts to stop this happening but that won't make it as easy for them as it should have.
  • neilka 19 Apr 2012 21:30:41 15,847 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Can you give a hint on the screen SuperBas posted above? Like him, I'm close to giving up...

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous