God Of War: Ascension Page 11

• Page

of 11 First / Last

Next
  • Triggerhappytel 20 Jun 2013 10:17:14 2,695 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Normal is okay for most of the game; there are a couple of difficulty spikes in the last couple of hours, but nothing horrendous or unmanageable.

The whole series is really good, but the reason I singled out Chains was simply because it felt a bit small and inconsequential compared to the others. It's still a good game although with nowhere near the scale or polish of its bigger brothers. Worth playing if you can get it very cheap, but don't go out of your way to try it.
  • kinky_mong 20 Jun 2013 10:23:42 10,873 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So I've got Ascension and the second HD collection on my backlog ready to play once I've finished The Last Of Us. Which game is set first in Kratos' timeline?

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• Sharzam 20 Jun 2013 10:39:01 3,383 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I belive the order goes

Chains of Olympus - Ghost of Sparta - Ascension - then the numbered  games  1-2-3

I havent played ghost of Sparta though so that bit might be wrong.  In Olympus he is just a normal spartan and ascension is immediately before 1 as he has just betrayed Ares.

Edit: Ah cool so Sparta fills in the gap between one and two.  That might be good.

Edited by Sharzam at 10:44:41 20-06-2013

Known as 'Sharzam' in 98.5% of games

• mrpon 20 Jun 2013 10:40:54 29,596 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    1. God Of War: Ascension (PS3)
    2. God Of War: Chains Of Olympus (PSP, PS3 Remastered)
    3. God Of War (PS2, PS3 Remastered)
    4. God Of War: Ghost Of Sparta (PSP, PS3 Remastered)
    5. God Of War: Betrayal (Mobile side scroller)
    6. God Of War II (PS2, PS3 Remastered)
    7. God Of War III (PS3)

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• kinky_mong 20 Jun 2013 11:13:55 10,873 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cheers, will start Ascension first.

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• CharlieStCloud 20 Jun 2013 13:59:59 5,530 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    How funny.

... I seem to die far more frequently by being caught out unaware by those 'invisible' gaps/holes than actually being killed!

Only just arrived at the place where you are introduced the green misty-wisty thingummy for the first time. The wonderfully detailed effect kind of reminds me of the transition between the 'normal world' and the 'other world' in Silent Hill.

Thoroughly enjoying this and the ride on those snakes just totally blew me away. I keep half-expecting smoke to emit from within my PlayStation 3!

: )
  • FuzzyDuck 21 Jun 2013 02:16:30 4,976 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:

Oh, and I wholeheartedly agree FuzzyDuck! The prospects of what Naughty Dog and Santa Monica come up with on the PlayStation 4 does indeed bobble the mind. I do hope they both pursue different ideas ... a new IP would be very welcome.
    Indeed! Uncharted 2 is pushing into 4 years old (yikes), GoW3 just over 3 years and they're still two of the best looking console games this gen.
  • CharlieStCloud 22 Jun 2013 16:00:00 5,530 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Oh no.

OH NO.

OOHHH NNOOO!

Trials of Archimedes.

: (

I have only got two magic attacks; Ares (fire) and Hades and they don't seem to be quite as devastating as they once were earlier in the game, or maybe because the whole trial is unfairly challenging, I find myself resorting to ways of wondering why those groups of enemies are taking so much longer to die.

Fair enough, I do not mind fighting a couple of those Gorgons however, I believe I counted four or five of them ... and that's before the next wave?!

*sighs*

Aw, I really hope this isn't the part where I give up.

There's nothing worse than a game doing this to me.
  • kinky_mong 25 Jun 2013 10:42:21 10,873 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Am I alone in finding this God of War a complete pain in the arse to play?

The game spends so much time panning the camera out to miles away from the action to show of the scale of the levels that it becomes nigh on impossible to see what's going on during fights. Also the game seems to be much darker than previous games exacerbating the difficulty is seeing when enemies are attacking.

• King_Edward 25 Jun 2013 13:00:20 11,471 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I had no issue with darkness, but the panning camera did piss me off more than once. Sure it looks incredible but I can't actually see my character half the time.
  • Daeltaja 25 Jun 2013 13:46:32 1,190 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    16 quid on Amazon... very tempting!
  • kinky_mong 3 Jul 2013 15:26:06 10,873 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    Oh no.

OH NO.

OOHHH NNOOO!

Trials of Archimedes.

I'm up to this bit now. Gave it one go last night and didn't even finish the first wave as the bit with two gorgons and two witches barely gave me any room to attack what so ever.

Any tips?

• BigOrkWaaagh 3 Jul 2013 15:31:52 2,326 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @kinky_mong L2 + Triangle.
  • Derblington 3 Jul 2013 15:35:41 22,307 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kinky_mong wrote:
    Cheers, will start Ascension first.
    Why? They aren't "meant" to played in order. It'd be like watching Star Wars 1-6 rather than the correct order. I've not played Ascension so I don't know if it actually covers anything of the story but it always puzzles me when people want to play/watch things out of order.

edit: I'm a spaz - I didn't read second HD collection :)

Edited by Derblington at 15:37:07 03-07-2013
  • kinky_mong 3 Jul 2013 16:03:43 10,873 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    And you replied to a post I made about a fortnight ago, ya big double spaz! ;)

• kinky_mong 3 Jul 2013 21:44:41 10,873 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I hate to be that guy but... I just did the Trial of Archimedes first time tonight with little trouble!

Spamming the clone and slow time attack along with regular use of magic made it really easy.

• CharlieStCloud 3 Jul 2013 22:30:00 5,530 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    kinky_mong wrote:
    I hate to be that guy but... I just did the Trial of Archimedes first time tonight with little trouble!

Spamming the clone and slow time attack along with regular use of magic made it really easy.
    I tried two times on my first venture.

... left the game alone for a week, came back to the same place and did it on my first go, just like you.

Just ruthlessly cane the helpful clone and slowdown thingie as well as using Ares fire (magic) attack. If anything, I thought it got easier as the waves went on as you are giving more time to recove and breathe.

The ending is a bit poor though, don't you think?

I may well try God of War III one day, but not yet. Not yet.
  • mrpon 3 Jul 2013 22:41:55 29,596 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    GoW3 is fabulous, some of the set pieces and boss battles are the best I've seen in any game this gen.

• kinky_mong 3 Jul 2013 23:58:08 10,873 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:

The ending is a bit poor though, don't you think?

I may well try God of War III one day, but not yet. Not yet.
    I quite liked the ending, the battle felt epic even though most of it is simple hacking and a few QTEs.

I thought GoW3 was by far the worst of the original trilogy, if you haven't played 2 do so as soon as possible.

• b0rk 4 Sep 2013 20:31:43 2,945 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I noticed this is going for 15 quid at Amazon at the moment which seems like a bargain but I'm concerned about that Trials of Archimedes bit...

Did the patch make it more tolerable? I tend to throw things when I become enraged so this game could potentially become quite expensive.

:mad: ?
  • bobdebob 4 Sep 2013 20:47:17 600 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @B0rked_Gamer

It's not that difficult, provided you've got the full powered up Ares element.

But you'll definitely find it harder than any GoW, mainly due to Kratos being much weaker.
  • b0rk 4 Sep 2013 21:01:08 2,945 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    righty-o then I'll make a note to power up the Ares thingy beforehand.
  • FuzzyDuck 18 Oct 2013 16:04:46 4,976 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Picked this up today, about an hour in (on hard, unpatched) and I'm tempted to ditch this already.

I sit about 10 feet away from a 32" screen, and have died far too many times already purely because I cannot see Kratos! Who's idea on the design team was it to pull the camera back to show off the amazing graphics to the point that Kratos is barely a few pixels tall, all in the middle of a boss + minions fight?!
  • CharlieStCloud 18 Oct 2013 16:25:02 5,530 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @FuzzyDuck

Play on 'normal' (and patched) just like me!

... I quite like marvelling at the visuals whilst Kratos is a tiny little stick figure, but I think it is only at the beginning that the games does this 'pull the camera out far away' mechanic.
  • King_Edward 18 Oct 2013 16:38:55 11,471 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Slap it on easy, enjoy the puzzles.
  • FuzzyDuck 18 Oct 2013 16:47:19 4,976 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @CharlieStCloud

Tried to patch, it takes 20 minutes to download the first section, then corrupts.

I want to play on hard as the game isn't much of a challenge for me otherwise - but I could actually see what I was doing in the other games!
  • mrpon 18 Oct 2013 17:18:02 29,596 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Get a bigger TV y'girl

• FuzzyDuck 18 Oct 2013 19:48:53 4,976 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ack, abandoned it, played as far as the first Manticore fight on top of the um, snake tower. It's buggy, clunky and a rethread of the older games.

It's not a patch on the original trilogy, some very odd design decisions. Think the GoW formula is pretty stale now, time for a different IP from SSM.
  • djronz. 22 Oct 2013 07:38:21 301 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    B0rked_Gamer wrote:
    I noticed this is going for 15 quid at Amazon at the moment which seems like a bargain but I'm concerned about that Trials of Archimedes bit...

Did the patch make it more tolerable? I tend to throw things when I become enraged so this game could potentially become quite expensive.

:mad: ?
    Patch made it much more tolerable,  i tried for ages before the patch and although was getting better at it still struggling,  did it first time after the patch. I don't agree that it's not as good as other gow's,  i had just as much fun and there's some great puzzles.  Easily worth a go at £15
  • barrylyndon 27 Jul 2014 05:00:05 98 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I found this on the Asia play station store at 620 baht (I live in THailand), about 12 or 13 quid. I have wanted to play it for about a year and at this price it finally tempted me. I'm getting a bit bored of the gameplay having played the previous ps2 and ps3 games but its still entertaining enough and worth it for the price.
  • Page

of 11 First / Last

Next