God Of War: Ascension Page 10

• Page

of 11 First / Last

• King_Edward 26 Mar 2013 19:40:47 11,454 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Playing on easy so I'm hoping the whole section isn't to harsh for me.
    Just did a big jump forward in time. Not a fan of that. Not really sure what's going on now.
  • djronz. 26 Mar 2013 20:37:21 252 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Progguitarist wrote:
    Yes. Doesn't make it any easier. As soon as those electricity shooting cunts appear along with the gorgons I descend into rage. It's beyond fucking cheap.
    It does once you get past those, you can use magic to push them out of the arena or kick or club them out if near the edge nearest the screen, that helps a lot, use fire or electric magic.
    before the electric ladies appear you need to try and wear down both gorgons as evenly as possible, that way when you kill one of them, the other one will be already weak when the next gorgon and electric ladies appear together. If you blitz them with magic straight away (i used electric) that should see the weaker gorgon off and maybe blast a few electric ladies off the edge.
    Now keep using the L2 magic, roll out of trouble never jump and keep your distance until your L2 recharges, freeze the gorgon then club or kick the ladies off the edge, repeat!
    Phase 2 is a matter of keeping blocked and picking your attacks carefully, nothing can hit you in the first part when blocked so use it to learn he attacks, killing the blue amazons gives orbs so it gets easier from here on, use block and counter to do this.
    You shouldn't have any problems after this as the green and blue orbs keep coming!

I tried about 20 times before the patch, just about made it to phase two but with no energy, after the patch It took me 4 attempts to get to phase 2 but when I did I breezed the rest, keep trying... Good luck!
  • Triggerhappytel 26 Mar 2013 20:45:48 2,667 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    Playing on easy so I'm hoping the whole section isn't to harsh for me.
    Just did a big jump forward in time. Not a fan of that. Not really sure what's going on now.
    The narrative is really poorly told. Stuff that takes place in 'real time' with Kratos on the Hecatonchires only comprises a tiny amount of the game; probably less than a quarter, and the rest is flashbacks.

As for the Trial, stick with it guys. You're really close to the end and all I can say is persevere and try different tactics. Just use most of your magic against the gorgons and sirens. The other two rounds aren't nearly as tricky. And don't forget to use the uroburos (sp?) and clone attacks, as there's no cost for them besides the cool down time. Plus, if you can master blocking it'll make it all much easier.
  • djronz. 27 Mar 2013 06:54:59 252 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Well done Triggerhappytel.

I never really look too much into the narrative /story of god of war games, I get the jist of it and that's enough, I just play for the fun of seeing what's next, like games used to be.

Edited by djronz. at 06:55:39 27-03-2013
  • King_Edward 27 Mar 2013 07:41:53 11,454 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @djronz

Yeah. I was enjoying how little story there had been up until then. Just combat, epic puzzles and platforming. I liked the notes scattered around, and was almost getting a Dark Souls vibe. It's gone now.
  • Progguitarist 27 Mar 2013 18:11:22 10,399 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The multiplayer is hilariously bad.
  • djronz. 27 Mar 2013 18:36:05 252 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Progguitarist wrote:
    How so? I'm actually really enjoying it, the eurgamer review implies its probably the best thing about ascension.
  • Progguitarist 27 Mar 2013 21:41:47 10,399 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm finding it to be hugely unbalanced.
  • chessboxer 28 Mar 2013 03:45:40 250 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Progguitarist wrote:
    You mean you're getting your arse kicked by people who are better and/or higher ranked than you?
  • djronz. 28 Mar 2013 08:12:58 252 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    chessboxer wrote:
    Progguitarist wrote:
    You mean you're getting your arse kicked by people who are better and/or higher ranked than you?
    That sounds about right lol, its quite a steep learning curve, blocking everything will get your ass handed to you has people will use block breaker moves, if you getting battered in a corner use L2 moves to get out of it. I'm pretty useless myself but learning, i actually thinks it's great fun and levels are ace!

Anyone care to add me? Psn... Ronzy.
  • Progguitarist 30 Mar 2013 00:26:15 10,399 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    chessboxer wrote:
    Progguitarist wrote:
    Higher ranked players have access to far more powerful moves and weapons. There's absolutely nothing a newbie can do against it. You could tell from the beta that it'd end up like this though.
  • chessboxer 30 Mar 2013 05:26:51 250 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Progguitarist wrote:Higher ranked players have access to far more powerful moves and weapons. There's absolutely nothing a newbie can do against it. You could tell from the beta that it'd end up like this though.
    A higher Level player will have access to better weapons and gear in pretty much any game that uses an XP system. I'm not sure why this should be any different.

A lower Level player can block most attacks from a higher ranked player and the parry system works regardless of Level, but a lot depends on player skill and timing. If you know when to use a particular attack, you can do a lot of damage. If your reflexes are slow, you're going to get your arse handed to you by someone whose are quicker, whether you're Level 1 or Level 30.
  • Progguitarist 30 Mar 2013 13:19:56 10,399 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thats not been my experience in other games. They may have a slightly nicer looking gun but they'll still die in pretty much the same amount of hits.
  • chessboxer 31 Mar 2013 06:42:16 250 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Progguitarist wrote:
    Thats not been my experience in other games. They may have a slightly nicer looking gun but they'll still die in pretty much the same amount of hits.
    Have you never played COD, Killzone, Battlefield (excluding BF1943), MAG, GTA, Max Payne 3, RDR, Dead Space 2, Resistance, Crysis, Dust514, Medal Of Honor, Homefront, Uncharted etc? They all use the XP system and as your level increases, players gain access to better primary and secondary weapons (usually a trade off with other stats), attachments, perks, abilities, armor...

Granting better equipment and increased health/strength to higher level players is a mechanic used in many single player and non competitive multiplayer games too like Borderlands, Dead Island, Castle Crashers, Payday: The Heist. It really is fairly common.
  • Gregolution 31 Mar 2013 08:15:40 3,164 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Progguitarist wrote:
    Wrong
  • djronz. 31 Mar 2013 11:01:51 252 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    Progguitarist wrote:
    Wrong
    The more I play it the better it gets, starting to power up a little and more importantly how to defend attacks successfully, 8 player capture the flag was hilarious fun!
  • Progguitarist 31 Mar 2013 13:30:03 10,399 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @chessboxer Played most of the above and never felt at a massive disadvantage. Some of those games had balancing issues for sure, but no-where near the level of GOW. I'm glad you guys are enjoying it, I don't mean to take anything away from that but personally, I think it's awful.
  • Bulbatron 11 May 2013 17:58:10 832 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So I'm on the 'snake-coaster' in the ice section. I failed a QTE-swingy section and died. Now, when I restart the checkpoint - either from the 'YOU ARE DEAD' screen or the main menu - I just instantly fall to my doon, unable even to see where I am.

It looks as though I'll have to restart the chapter, if that's possible.

Will I be able to restart my current chapter from the chapter select screen? If so, will the game still recognise me as having completed the game at the end and thus enable me to use any of those artifacts gathered in my current playthrough for the next playthrough?

Edited by Bulbatron at 18:00:54 11-05-2013

Wow - what a mansion!

• King_Edward 11 May 2013 18:01:09 11,454 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yes, and yes. I think.
  • gooner77 26 May 2013 15:19:15 728 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    recently bought this for 17.99, glad I cancelled my preorder as its decent but not worth 35 +.

Has anyone else found that the audio is still glitchy despite the updates ?
  • gooner77 30 May 2013 09:13:06 728 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I wish a plague on the person responsible for th Trial of Archimedes level :(
  • chessboxer 3 Jun 2013 00:52:38 250 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    gooner77 wrote:
    recently bought this for 17.99, glad I cancelled my preorder as its decent but not worth 35 +.

Has anyone else found that the audio is still glitchy despite the updates ?
    The audio is fine. Any problems (assuming you're using the default settings) will most likely be because of a HDD problem.

I had a HDD which was having mechanical issues (I tested for it). Some games would take ages to start, downloads would contain errors, the PS3 crashed/froze frequently and in GOW:A, some audio was delayed by around 5s. I replaced the HDD and I've not encountered a single problem.
  • CharlieStCloud 19 Jun 2013 14:45:07 5,016 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I got this as part of a generous deal Tesco were doing when you pre-order The Last of Us, which was essentially 50 for the two games. Now that I have finished TLoU, I am starting my first ever God of War game!

As a beginner to this series who has only played Devil May Cry (about ten years ago) that shares slight comparisons to, should I start on easy, seeing as the last couple of pages are dedicated to this 'Trials of Archimedes' ... that hard, hey?

I do not mind a challenge, but not one that you have to retry and persist with over and over again.

... and FUCK ME!

I put this on at two o'clock on the dot and the five updates finish at twenty to three - FORTY MINUTES?!

Jesus, Mary and Joseph.
  • CharlieStCloud 19 Jun 2013 23:28:00 5,016 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Holy Moly.

... I kind of just played the opening hour or so.

How on Earth is the PlayStation 3 doing this?

How on Earth have I, only yesterday, finished playing through the most visually impressive game of the year, The Last of Us, and find somehow a more visually impressive game in this?

How on Earth is everything so smooth when the camera pans out to show the epic scale of the beautifully detailed environments whilst Kratos is being swayed about, all over the place ... AND STILL FIGHTING?!

How on Earth is this all possible? My little-ickle PS3 should be melting when this game is running.

I am really, truly and utterly blown away.

My feeble mind cannot take this all in.

: O
  • Triggerhappytel 20 Jun 2013 00:07:22 2,667 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, it's an incredibly impressive game. How they manage both the huge scale and fine detail on such dated hardware is mind boggling.

If you enjoy the gameplay and would like to play more in the series, you're probably best going for GoW 2, 3 or Ghost of Sparta. If you're interested in the plot, do the main trilogy in order, although I recommend trying Ghost of Sparta as I found it very good, even though it's only about 5 hours' worth. Don't bother with Chains of Olympus. And bea in mind the gameplay in all of them is very similar, so try not to burn out your enthusiasm.
  • FuzzyDuck 20 Jun 2013 03:04:05 3,887 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    How on Earth is the PlayStation 3 doing this?
    : O
    One of the beauties of a fixed platform!

Had a similar reaction to playing GoW2 on the PS2 way back when.

Santa Monica are absolute masters of witchcraft with they stuff they've pulled out of the hat.

Can only imagine what they'll be doing with the PS4 in a few years.

Edited by FuzzyDuck at 03:04:44 20-06-2013
  • CharlieStCloud 20 Jun 2013 08:50:59 5,016 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Triggerhappytel

I would happily play all of the God of War games, but for the time being, I have quite a handful of other games I would like to play on the PlayStation 3 ... is there any particular reason(s) why you have singled out 'Chains of Olympus' though?

Oh, and I wholeheartedly agree FuzzyDuck! The prospects of what Naughty Dog and Santa Monica come up with on the PlayStation 4 does indeed bobble the mind. I do hope they both pursue different ideas ... a new IP would be very welcome.

... have I made a mistake by playing this on normal? I got through the opening hour with little fuss and have yet to die.

Edited by CharlieStCloud at 08:52:09 20-06-2013
  • Frogofdoom 20 Jun 2013 08:54:19 868 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    No you will be fine on normal there will be some bits that are brutally difficult if the first 3 are anything to go by
  • CharlieStCloud 20 Jun 2013 09:00:00 5,016 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    No, you will be fine on normal. There will be some bits that are brutally difficult if the first 3 are anything to go by.
    *crosses my fingers*
  • Page

of 11 First / Last