God Of War: Ascension Page 8

• Page

of 11 First / Last

• djronz. 17 Mar 2013 19:08:11 275 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Starting to enjoy this now,  it's classic GoW,  don't see why some reviews have down rated it for that?
      Love the decay/renew puzzles!
  • Syrette 17 Mar 2013 20:18:55 43,477 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Is this a good place to start with this series on PS3, or should I go for 3 instead?

• Deleted user 17 March 2013 20:23:25
    @Syrette Yeah its alright to start with this one dude.

The plot is focused on events before the first so you don't need to worry about the story and the gameplay seems to be fairly solid as well.

I think 3 is probably still a favorite for me though in terms of Epic set pieces and looks.
  • Triggerhappytel 17 Mar 2013 20:46:40 2,695 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I take it you've played GoW 1 & 2 already then? Because if not I'd recommend playing the GoW Collection 1 for sure. Ascension will probably make more sense if you've played GoW 1, as that game has a lot of back-story too. The storytelling in Ascension isn't linear, and it's a bit all over the place really. The first two games have aged remarkably well and received a great HD update.

Anyway, technically in narrative terms you're fine beginning with Ascension, but like with Halo Reach, much of it will make more sense and be more meaningful if you have prior knowledge of the whole series.
  • Syrette 17 Mar 2013 21:33:19 43,477 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I finished 1 and played 2 back in the day.

Not really bothered about the story if I'm honest - all about the gameplay/visuals for me. Sounds like 3 is the more epic so tempted to start with that.

Could get the HD collection as well I suppose but got enough games on my plate as it is so really am after the pinnacle of the series thus far.

• Triggerhappytel 17 Mar 2013 22:54:57 2,695 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    I finished 1 and played 2 back in the day.

Not really bothered about the story if I'm honest - all about the gameplay/visuals for me. Sounds like 3 is the more epic so tempted to start with that.

Could get the HD collection as well I suppose but got enough games on my plate as it is so really am after the pinnacle of the series thus far.
    If you're not bothered about story and just want the epicest in the series then go for 3 then - mainly because of price. Although if you get the chance to play it, Ghost of Sparta was also awesome (I preferred it to 3), and will only take about 6 hours tops to get through.

So far my favourites go:

1. GoW2 - 9/10
    2. GoW1 - 9/10
    3. GoS - 8/10
    4. GoW3 - 8/10
    5. CoO - 7/10

I'm thinking so far Ascension will slot in around GoW3. It doesn't seem as tight or well paced as the first two, but as good as 3 more or less. GoW2 is probably as close to being a 10/10 any action-adventure ever has for me.

Edited by Triggerhappytel at 00:37:24 18-03-2013
  • djronz. 18 Mar 2013 22:07:21 275 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Just got to the eyes of apollo, really starting to enjoy this now, last section in particular showing off that sense of jaw dropping scale that the series does so well! 
      Still surprised how glitchy things things can be.
  • djronz. 18 Mar 2013 22:07:22 275 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Just got to the eyes of apollo, really starting to enjoy this now, last section in particular showing off that sense of jaw dropping scale that the series does so well! 
      Still surprised how glitchy things things can be.
  • Triggerhappytel 19 Mar 2013 00:48:46 2,695 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm on my way to collect the eyes. Really enjoying it; narratively in terms of fighting the three sisters etc it reminds me a lot of GoW2, and it has a similar feel of journey that the first two games did so well. Kratos is definitely better in this one, although it's a bit light in terms of plot. I also liked it how the trophy after you beat Castor & Pollux was called Quaid!
  • neilka 19 Mar 2013 00:49:03 15,954 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's just a ridiculous way to stop everyone from finishing the game in under eight hours. I can only imagine it pissing off everyone who was enjoying it up until that point though.

A map is like comparing velocity and speed.

• Triggerhappytel 19 Mar 2013 00:58:03 2,695 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm also deliberately taking my time as I hope they'll roll out a patch for this horribly hard section everyone keeps talking about. I'm not the best or most patient person when it comes to these games; the cerberus/satyr fight from GoW3 nearly beat me, and I've struggled with every last boss aside from Ghost of Sparta.
  • chessboxer 19 Mar 2013 02:21:02 250 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm playing it on Hard (I've only got to the flying snake thing) and I'd say it's tougher than GOW3 on Hard after an hour or so had passed. I'm not impressed with how your rage meter gets depleted when you take damage. 3 hits on Hard will wipe out a full bar.
  • djronz. 19 Mar 2013 02:28:05 275 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Playing on normal and so far it's definitely a bit easier than gow3.
  • chessboxer 19 Mar 2013 13:36:36 250 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Goodfella wrote:
    @chessboxer

Ooh you're gonna love that massive difficulty spike at the end playing on hard. Good luck.

I gave up on the game (on normal) at that point, life is too short and I could feel my blood pressure rising.
    I'm looking forward to it (I think). I remember Zeus was an absolute c*nt in GOW3 on Hard the two times I had to fight him, but once I figured out his moves and the best weapon to counteract each attack (especially the last battle with him), he wasn't too bad.
  • Humperfunk 19 Mar 2013 13:53:05 2,247 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Goodfella wrote:
    @chessboxer

Ooh you're gonna love that massive difficulty spike at the end playing on hard. Good luck.

I gave up on the game (on normal) at that point, life is too short and I could feel my blood pressure rising.
    My brother has blitzed the entire game on hard...until he got to that point at the end. He can't get past it. Can't see an option to reduce the difficulty either, that's the second major game in 2013 that's locked the difficulty and it's only fucking March!

I'm halfway through on Normal, and I'm doing ok at the moment but I know I'm fucked when I come to the end as I'm pretty shit at any game that isn't Rock Band or FIFA, so not sure I'll ever be able to finish it...

PSN, XBL & NNID: Wedjwants

• Humperfunk 20 Mar 2013 09:37:07 2,247 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    My brother managed to finish it in the end yesterday (and got the Platinum trophy) - means I'll definitely be able to finish it on normal (if "I" means giving the controller to him to get me through any parts I'm stuck on, pah!)

PSN, XBL & NNID: Wedjwants

• Triggerhappytel 22 Mar 2013 02:05:55 2,695 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Is the hard part everyone's talking about the Trial of Archimedes? Because I just got to that, died on the second wave of enemies (2 gorgons and 2 sirens, the fucking cunts) and switched off. There have been some frustrating difficulty spikes in the last 30 or 60 minutes of the game.
  • Triggerhappytel 22 Mar 2013 08:39:38 2,695 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fuck this section. Four gorgons and four sirens, and you don't even give a checkpoint?! FUCK YOU!
  • neilka 22 Mar 2013 08:47:05 15,954 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Getting petrified and then smashed after ten minutes of fighting is a particular delight.

A map is like comparing velocity and speed.

• King_Edward 22 Mar 2013 09:47:01 11,454 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    When are they patching the shit bit?
  • Page

of 11 First / Last