God Of War: Ascension Page 5

• Page

of 11 First / Last

• Triggerhappytel 12 Mar 2013 20:49:41 2,695 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    As I understand it's meant to be about 8 hours.

So, where next for the series? Different protagonist? Different era or lore? Different game design, with more of a freeform or open world design a la Demon's Souls or Darksiders? Or just have a good long break and come back with a proper sequel to GoW3 and a continuation of Kratos' story?

First of all, I think SSM should definitely develop something completely different now. I don't know if the studio is large enough to have two teams, but in the meantime I'd like to see their obvious technical capability applied elsewhere.
  • King_Edward 12 Mar 2013 21:34:23 11,471 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Don't see where they can go. They can do the whole other mythology idea with Norse or Egyptian gods but they still can't make it any bigger than it already is. (Although a boss fight against the sun might be special).

Failing that they need deeper and more interesting characters, which doesn't seem like there bag.
  • King_Edward 12 Mar 2013 21:43:54 11,471 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Well it'd be a different protagonist. Like Kratotep or Kratonjir.
  • Scimarad 12 Mar 2013 21:55:14 8,636 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Triggerhappytel

I thought it had effectively finished with GoW3 so I'm not even sure what THIS one is about.
  • King_Edward 12 Mar 2013 21:57:25 11,471 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's set straight after he kills his family, but before he does anything interesting in the name of revenge.
  • Triggerhappytel 13 Mar 2013 00:19:57 2,695 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I actually thought it might have been interesting in this game to show Kratos before he served Ares at all - maybe start by detailing his campaign against the barbarian tribes and his growing arrogance and thirst for victory as an increasingly successful Spartan commander. Maybe fight in that fateful battle where he pledges his life to Ares, and take the player through a summary of the atrocities he committed in his master's name - culminating in the accidental slaughter of his family, and the abandonment of his vows to Ares. I think we could have formed a stronger bond to Kratos' torment if the game took us through those things, rather than just pick up the threads after it's all already happened.

But now, going forward, I don't know if I want any more Kratos. I've never liked the character, although he's fun to play as because he's so empowering. I don't doubt there will be another GoW game and I guess for what it's worth I'd like a different mythos with a different character with different motivations. Greek mythology has been exhausted now; it's definitely time to move on. But, before any more GoW is considered I'd still like to see SSM develop something completely different. Rumour has it Stig Asmussen (GoW3 director) is working on something new, so if possible I'd like to see the studio juggle two projects, like Naughty Dog is now doing.

Hell, maybe they should pass GoW over to a completely different studio who can run creatively wild and bring a new flavour to the series. I would have loved to see what the guys from Vigil Games would have done with it, with their gameplay style mixed with SSM's technical brilliance.
  • spamdangled 13 Mar 2013 00:24:30 27,464 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Triggerhappytel

Giving it to the Vigil guys is a good shout.

An open world GOW with skill tress and quests and more of a metroidvania feel would be very welcome indeed.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• dominalien 13 Mar 2013 01:02:32 7,065 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    It's set straight after he kills his family, but before he does anything interesting in the name of revenge.
    So, he's just shocked, dazed and confused? Not that he got any better afterwards.

Something makes me wish I wanted to play it, but I just don't. I skipped GOW3, too. Played the first two and CoO and I think I've had enough to last me a lifetime.

It's mightily spectacular, though.

PSN: DonOsito

• dominalien 13 Mar 2013 07:34:10 7,065 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Goodfella

You're probably right. It's just that I don't particularly like him. I don't approve of his purpose and I don't want him to kill all those things.

If people didn't like PoPWW because the protagonist was unlikeable, then this should be reviled.

• Triggerhappytel 13 Mar 2013 07:37:36 2,695 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @dominalien
    I actually preferred Ghost of Sparta to GoW3; if you're going to play another I'd recommend that one first. It's neat and bite-sized too, and lasted me I think about six or seven hours.
  • King_Edward 13 Mar 2013 07:46:38 11,471 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @dominalien

That's the story though. Kratos' ridiculous anger is justified by his wife and daughter's murder. As the story goes on his anger grows, but gets less and less justifiable until eventually (ending spoiler) even Kratos with his warped ethics can't justify it and he kills himself.

It's why a prequel set when this is makes so little sense to me.
  • dominalien 13 Mar 2013 08:25:42 7,065 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    It's why a prequel set when this is makes so little sense to me.
    Ah, drat, quoting your post revealed the spoiler to me and now there's even less incentive for me to play GoW3. :-(

Anyway, the reason for the prequel is clearly financial, plus I guess they were keen to tell the whole world "LOOK AT WHAT WE CAN DO ON THE PS3". They clearly succeeded on the second front.

• Ultrasoundwave 13 Mar 2013 08:59:05 3,411 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    So, apparently the campaign is un-inspired and the multiplayer is very good?

Didnt see that coming at all. Anyone got this yet?, quite curious about the MP now, would like to hear more impressions before i drop any cash...

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• neilka 13 Mar 2013 13:26:06 16,531 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I got through most of the SP yesterday, it looks better than ever but there's been no real effort to differentiate it from the other games so it does feel like retreading familiar ground for the sixth time.

There are some puzzles that are more interesting than usual but in a couple of cases they're so poorly signposted that you'll spend ages wandering around in circles until the vital piece clicks into place.

And now I'm stuck near the end (9 hours on the clock) on the traditional GoW filler section where they throw wave after wave of enemies at you without checkpointing inbetween :(

EG's 7/10 sounds about right so far.

Edited by neilka at 13:27:14 13-03-2013

BAAANG!!!!! EXPLOTION!!!!!

• Ultrasoundwave 13 Mar 2013 13:35:39 3,411 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @neilka

You tried the MP?

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• Humperfunk 13 Mar 2013 13:58:39 2,500 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Sounds like this is going to be played on Easy by son of Englbert, aka me.

To be fair, it can't be harder than Metal Gear Rising, aka Bollock-hard-for-the-sake-of-it Rising so might stick to normal.

PSN, XBL & NNID: Wedjwants

• Tryhard 13 Mar 2013 14:29:51 4,296 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I watched an American live streaming some MP and it made me wish I had a PS3,it looked that good and fun.
  • Deleted user 13 March 2013 17:40:30
    Anyone here on for some MP frolics over the weekend. I really liked what I played of the demo and its been so long since GOW3 that I reckon I'll still love this even if it is the same formula.

And a Norse version with Odin fighting the norse pantheon and Ragnarok would be superb.I'd love to see a fight with Fenrir with the scale of the Titans in GOW3.
  • Triggerhappytel 13 Mar 2013 20:38:40 2,695 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @WeakOrbit

I'll be online over the weekend, assuming my copy arrives in time. I've had no distribution email or anything yet, although I know there's time yet and I need to finish Prototype 2 first anyway. Feel free to sling a friend request to Telminator-2 if you want.
  • Deleted user 13 March 2013 21:19:49
    @Triggerhappytel But I'm already your friend!!!! Cool man sounds good. I know a few people getting it so we can try some group MP and the challenge of the gods MP.
  • King_Edward 13 Mar 2013 21:23:25 11,471 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Impressions when you do. All impressions should be given in the form of comparisons with PowerStone.
  • neilka 13 Mar 2013 22:36:00 16,531 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I haven't tried the MP yet, I finally managed to finish the SP though. The difficulty spike near the end is more of a difficulty mountain, it must have taken more than 30 attempts to get through it! The rest of the game is too easy if anything so it's pretty ridiculous.

BAAANG!!!!! EXPLOTION!!!!!

• MatMan562 13 Mar 2013 23:33:18 2,605 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I got this today and have played about an hour and a half of the single player and a couple matches of mp.

Maybe it's because I only played GoW3 for the first time a couple months ago, but this campaign seems pretty underwhelming so far. I also think Metal Gear Rising has made me forget how to block and dodge effectively so having a bit of a tough time with that.

The multiplayer does seem to make up for the campaign though. I wasn't doing particularly well but I was having fun. It looks like there's quite a lot of stuff to experiment with and things to unlock as well. I pledged my allegiance to Hades!

I'd be up for some multiplayer sessions but I doubt I'd do very well.

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• scuffpuppies 14 Mar 2013 00:27:04 324 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    5 hrs in, and Ascension is the most unstable God of War yet. I don't just mean glitches, or multiplayer instabilities...but game breaking singleplayer bugs.

Three times I've had to delete my entire save game and profile in order to restart properly. Just five minutes ago my fourth game breaking bug appeared after killing the first main Fury. The sound stopped entirely during a cut scene, and never returned. When I tried to move in the following area it froze and crashed. Restarting didn't help as it auto saved during the glitch. So, save four is destroyed.

I've had levels when only the shaders load, game breaking crash. Character freeze...game breaking crash, now audio glitch...leading to game breaking crash.

I've stopped playing now, and won't touch it again until it's patched. Coincidentally I have a feeling the recent QUICK trophy patch has fucked things up. Usually patches take much longer to be cleared than 16 hours.

Other than these unbearable bugs, I was loving Ascension (story is a tad weak though).

XBL: Scuffy P
    PSN: Scuffy_P
    NN: ScuffyP

• Page

of 11 First / Last