The Wii is a Toy not a Console Page 2

• Page

of 3 First / Last

• THFourteen 17 Apr 2012 19:02:55 32,855 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    agreed, although in the case of baldurs gate i think the control scheme works very well compared to if you had to use a controller of any sort
  • morriss 17 Apr 2012 19:04:31 70,911 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This is like the good old days. Wiilol
  • THFourteen 17 Apr 2012 19:07:59 32,855 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Billy_Sastard wrote:
    I'd buy an Ipad instantly if it had a good array of point and click adventures.
    its reasonable. there are quite a few telltale pncs on there, and some indie gems like Hector

if you hack it you can install scummvm which gives you access to all the classics
  • Sid-Nice 17 Apr 2012 19:18:55 15,852 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'll wait for the Digital Foundry head to head to make my choice between the Xbox 360 and the PS3 version.

NNID Sid-Nice

• Deleted user 17 April 2012 19:25:27
    Billy_Sastard wrote:
    I'd buy an Ipad instantly if it had a good array of point and click adventures.
    It does, although personally I don't think they work well on touch screens.
  • Razz 17 Apr 2012 20:37:29 60,742 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Screw it

Edited by Razz at 20:40:50 17-04-2012

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• RyanDS 17 Apr 2012 20:42:56 9,050 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    bitch_tits_zero_nine wrote:
    If I was forced to choose one out of the two for the rest of my life with all games, I'd choose the Wii over the ipad any day of the week.
    The iPad is shit for games. But it has Puzzle Quest doesn't it? Which has been 200 hours of my life so far on various iterations. It also has Baldurs Gate coming.

Whereas in 3 years of owning a Wii I thought the free game you got was okay when drunk and you didn't realise how broken the controller was.

So I'd call the iPad more of a games console than the Wii as it has at least one good game.
  • electrolite 17 Apr 2012 22:24:28 470 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @ryandsimmons

You can use the ipad to view gaming review sites that cover Wii games. Hope this helps.
  • jonsaan 17 Apr 2012 22:29:43 25,326 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think it's important to remember that Baldur's gate is a bit shit whatever you play it on. Poor man's Diablo innit.

/runs

FCUTA!

• RyanDS 17 Apr 2012 22:31:01 9,050 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    jonsaan wrote:
    I think it's important to remember that Baldur's gate is a bit shit whatever you play it on. Poor man's Diablo innit.

/runs
    You shut your whore mouth!
  • jonsaan 17 Apr 2012 22:32:27 25,326 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    :D

FCUTA!

• ARumFellow 17 Apr 2012 23:28:16 13 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    ryandsimmons wrote:
    So I'd call the iPad more of a games console than the Wii as it has at least one good game.
    I'd need convincing that Puzzle Quest was a game.
  • Toonster 18 Apr 2012 00:26:38 6,835 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'll fill in for ecosse today

*ahem*

I agree with this article.

3DS: 0361-6951-2609 (Tom)

• roz123 18 Apr 2012 00:32:28 7,112 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Apparently the game didn't sell above the 6000 threshold so he didn't get a penny back from it. Don't blame him for being angry but he took a risk and it went badly.
    The "Wii is not a console" comment makes no sense at all.
  • Deleted user 18 April 2012 08:37:04
    @roz123

He has only himself to blame, (though ideally, one should refrain from blaming altogether). MDK2 on the Wii could have made a killing if it had been released as a proper boxed title: I, for one, was looking forward for purchasing it (I don't care for Wiiware).
  • Tonka 18 Apr 2012 09:07:15 20,006 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    agreed, although in the case of baldurs gate i think the control scheme works very well compared to if you had to use a controller of any sort
    I have to admit that I haven't played Baldurs Gate (is it out yet?) but one thing I learned from Advance Wars on the DS is that just 'cause something makes sense in my mind (this game is MADE for touch screen) doesn't mean it is.

There are games that work really well on the iPad. They mostly tend to be of the quick-fix arcade style kind (same as most games that worked well with motion controls)

Then there are games I thought would work but just feel klunky (most management sims I've tried) and then the third category of meaty games that work almost as well as on a PC or conslol.

Right now I can only think of the seminal "Kingdom Rush" although that has been slightly gimped for the mouth breathing Apple crowd. But calling a tower defence game a "meaty" game might be stretching it.

As it is now I shy away from any game that puts a "virtual game pad" on the screen or even worse, uses tilt AND touch.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• ARumFellow 18 Apr 2012 09:37:28 13 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    EndlessSolitude wrote:
    MDK2 on the Wii could have made a killing if it had been released as a proper boxed title: I, for one, was looking forward for purchasing it (I don't care for Wiiware).
    The overheads on a boxed title are surely even higher. What if you are one of a very few people nostalgic for MDK2, who own a Wii, and would play MDK2 on the Wii?

I guess he should have released it on Wiiware to see if it would sell more than 6,000, which is the cut-off point before you start making money. That would show us if people wanted to buy it.
  • Sid-Nice 18 Apr 2012 12:05:44 15,852 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Toy actually had the best version.

"probably the best version of that game on any console" Oster quoted.

NNID Sid-Nice

• bitch_tits_zero_nine 18 Apr 2012 12:10:46 6,654 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    ryandsimmons wrote:
    bitch_tits_zero_nine wrote:
    If I was forced to choose one out of the two for the rest of my life with all games, I'd choose the Wii over the ipad any day of the week.
    The iPad is shit for games. But it has Puzzle Quest doesn't it? Which has been 200 hours of my life so far on various iterations. It also has Baldurs Gate coming.

Whereas in 3 years of owning a Wii I thought the free game you got was okay when drunk and you didn't realise how broken the controller was.

Yeah but you have other games now. I meant like stranded on a dsert island and you could only have one thing.

You'ld go nuts with an ipad.

Wii, as well as a gaming system is a health centre what with Pilates/zumba and Ufc trainer, for todays modern healthy adult.

It's transcended console and is also a lifestyle tool imo.
  • neilka 18 Apr 2012 12:16:04 15,623 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I liked MDK2, own a Wii and would enjoy playing MDK2 again.

I'm not buying it for the fucking Wii though.
  • billythekid 18 Apr 2012 12:25:39 11,012 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's transcended consoles and is for lifestyle tools imo.
  • Deleted user 18 April 2012 12:29:04
    Consoles are all toys.
  • Sid-Nice 18 Apr 2012 12:38:35 15,852 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Both Microsoft and Sony have similar restraints; the Xbox 360 originally had a 50MB limit which is now set at 350MB, with special cases being allowed 2GB. I do sympathise with Oster and he explains his gripe with Nintendo in a more dignified manner here.

NNID Sid-Nice

• roz123 18 Apr 2012 13:10:51 7,112 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It seems the best way to get noticed as an indie developer these days is to slag someone off
  • Raiko101 18 Apr 2012 13:22:01 6,051 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think he raises some good points in that article. Developers should be able to price their own titles. It's absolutely ridiculous that they can't. I'm hoping that's not the case with the eShop, at least for 3DS specific titles. There are obvious price brackets, such as 1.90, 2.70, 3.60, 4.50, 5.40, etc... But a developer should have the right to determine the price. At least the new eShop can promote new, popular and genuinely decent titles. It's a massive advantage over the Nintendo Shop on the Wii. For both developers and consumers.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Syrette 18 Apr 2012 13:27:10 43,057 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sid-Nice wrote:
    Both Microsoft and Sony have similar restraints; the Xbox 360 originally had a 50MB limit which is now set at 350MB, with special cases being allowed 2GB. I do sympathise with Oster and he explains his gripe with Nintendo in a more dignified manner here.
    I'm not aware of a 350mb limit tbh

• Deleted user 18 April 2012 17:59:39
    @ARumFellow

The overheads on a boxed title are surely even higher. What if you are one of a very few people nostalgic for MDK2, who own a Wii, and would play MDK2 on the Wii?
    Yes, it would have cost more to create a boxed title - but, having the game in the stores would vastly increase both visibility and accessibility - and thus lead to sufficient sales to justify such a move.

Also with a boxed edition, one would not be constrained by the limits of Wiiware, and one could therefore add extra content, (i.e. levels, characters, multiplayer options, maybe even a level editor) that would appeal to many of those who purchased the earlier versions - which would boost sales further.
  • Page

of 3 First / Last