Recommend me a new TV series Page 3

• Page

of 6 First / Last

• fletch7100 29 Apr 2012 01:09:55 7,441 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The Thick of it. British satire about politics. With character Malcolm Tucker having some of the best lines I have heard in a TV show

Starting to hear great things about new show called Awake. Will check that out

Edited by fletch7100 at 01:11:15 29-04-2012
  • Dougs 29 Apr 2012 09:45:47 69,074 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The thick of it is hardly new. :)

I've been roped into watching Smash. It's surprisingly watchable but will need to have more than just be about a musical to have any longevity.
  • CosmicFuzz 29 Apr 2012 09:53:02 25,304 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Anyone said Friday Night Lights yet? Started season one and it's really great.

How patches are ruining the future of gaming My thoughts.

• Deleted user 29 April 2012 10:18:30
    I actually got fnl stored up on my sky box. just waiting for the seried ti end so i can watch it over a week. looking foward to it
  • Machetazo 29 Apr 2012 13:57:58 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dougs, good you mentioned Smash, which I've found to be great (so far!) :) No thread for it yet, though, but it has been renewed by NBC already.
  • faux-C 29 Apr 2012 14:16:40 9,531 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Berlin Alexanderplatz
  • Dougs 29 Apr 2012 16:42:28 69,074 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Machetazo wrote:
    Dougs, good you mentioned Smash, which I've found to be great (so far!) :) No thread for it yet, though, but it has been renewed by NBC already.
    Shush, we don't want the whole forum to know.
  • Lotos8ter 29 Apr 2012 19:58:39 2,364 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Anyone else enjoying The Bridge (Bron | Broen) on BBC4? Its a joint Danish/Swedish murder mystery investigation very much in the style of The Killing. Its really well done, well acted and I love the interplay between the Swedish and Danish lead detectives. There's obviously a fair amount of rivalry , some friendly, some not that isn't all lost in translation.
    BBC4 are showing double episodes every Saturday night and its only 10 episodes in total - last night was week 2. Highly recommended.

Fiat Lux

• Max_Powers 29 Apr 2012 22:27:19 1,102 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Strangely I never see people recommending Southland. As far as US cop shows go I rate this easily on par with The Shield
  • ISmoke 29 Apr 2012 23:51:20 672 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sorry for hijacking the thread but what is the overall opinion of 'The Wire'? I'm looking to start that series soon it was a toss up out of that and 24 but as the wire is shorted i thought i'd watch that instead.
  • GuiltySpark 29 Apr 2012 23:53:05 6,461 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Wire's generally considered to be The Best Thing Ever. 24 and The Wire are cut from entirely different cloth however, hardly even comparable.

If you're looking for a midway point between the shows, then The Shield is the way to go.

Edited by GuiltySpark at 23:53:53 29-04-2012

Get bent.

• reddevil93 29 Apr 2012 23:54:22 11,955 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Into the fourth series of it myself, first two series are 10/10s, 3rd a 9 and 4th is excellent so far too. Takes a few episodes to get in, but you get so invested in it, really brilliant.

• Dougs 30 Apr 2012 12:11:48 69,074 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    reddevil93 wrote:
    Into the fourth series of it myself, first two series are 10/10s, 3rd a 9 and 4th is excellent so far too. Takes a few episodes to get in, but you get so invested in it, really brilliant.
    Spot on imo. Not watched it again mind, so anthonypappa may be right - certainly not the first time I've heard that
  • ISmoke 30 Apr 2012 12:25:19 672 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah I've heard 24 and The Wire are worlds apart but I've heard both are in the must watch category so was wondering what one is seen as the better series. Started The Wire last night so I'll finish this then maybe start 24 or Sopranos. The long winded style of 24 has kind of put me off starting it. Not sure I want to give up 8 days to Mr Bauer just yet
  • Deleted user 30 April 2012 12:32:46
    The wire is fantastic. I genuinely think its the best tv show around. Unlike Anthony, i haven't seen it on repeated viewings, i just watched series 1-5 in pretty much a few weeks sitting so will have to judge it again when i come round to re-watching it.

Aside from sopranos, it was the first real slow i watched, thematically looking at something. It was slow, but built up over time, with some awesome characters. Sort of like playing FF7 for the first time, just opened my eyes a bit to what could be done. Thats why i think its the best tv show ever made.

i literally spent my time watching star trek and 24 until then.

i havn't seen the west wing, but with sopranos, and wire and there popularity, its given us a medium and range of programmes that are not hollywood offensive. Its nice to have something to watch that you can give your undivided attention to.
  • Deleted user 30 April 2012 12:48:38
    Nah 24 is awesome. Well the first time you watch it anyway. i think if Ismoke watched teh first season he will be hooked on it. Problem is a lot of tv shows have taken that mould now, its like the call of duty to all its impersonators.

8 series was way to much though, probably should have ended at the end of season 5, hell probably even season 3. (but i really like season 5 :) )

havn't seen the shield yet, people keep recommending it to me, so will eventually get round to it.

got GOT s2 and homeland on the go atm, then got mad men s5 to watch and and friday night lights.

Edited by joelstinton at 12:49:06 30-04-2012
  • crashVoodoo 9 Jan 2013 16:27:55 3,979 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    the following

Anyone else heard of this starring Kevin Bacon.  I've only just seen someone mention it on G+
    Apparently it got quite good reviews from its pilot and it starts later this month and is aired almost immediately on Sky Atlantic.

I'm liking the look of it but the fact that its on Fox is making me cautious seeing how easily they've shitcanned stuff in the past.

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• Trane 9 Jan 2013 16:48:14 4,058 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm gonna check out The Follwing for sure.

The Shield was on Fox, Sons of Anarchy and Justified still are. They are ruthless with regard to dropping stuff, but if it's good enough - people will watch it, and if people watch it - it'll get a good run.

Edited by Trane at 16:48:38 09-01-2013
  • crashVoodoo 9 Jan 2013 17:00:44 3,979 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Trane wrote:
    I'm gonna check out The Follwing for sure.

The Shield was on Fox, Sons of Anarchy and Justified still are. They are ruthless with regard to dropping stuff, but if it's good enough - people will watch it, and if people watch it - it'll get a good run.
    Think I'm still bitter over Chicago Code ...

/will never let it go

Edited by crashVoodoo at 17:02:02 09-01-2013

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• Salaman 9 Jan 2013 18:32:22 19,464 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Watched the pilot of Treme on Monday at a friend's house. Quite liked it. I was disappointed I had to leave right after the second episode started.
  • jonsaan 9 Jan 2013 19:01:10 25,438 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Southland. Better than the Wire IMO.

FCUTA!

• localnotail 14 Jan 2013 00:59:32 23,093 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Saw the first episode of Banshee tonight. Interesting. Has elements of GTA in parts, plus some terrible acting (especially Gok Wannabe supergeek hairdresser. Fun though, if a tad violent.

Newly released from prison bloke tracks down his partner in crime / bed after 15 yrs inside for ripping off a high-up Russian mafia due (I think). Finds her hiding out as in deep countryside a normal married mum in a town corrupted by a very lapsed Amish dude. Through a short chain of events, our (anti)hero becomes sheriff.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• MightyMouse 14 Jan 2013 02:12:22 1,136 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Lots of good stuff in this thread. A few I haven't seen mentioned:

Person of Interest
    Tron: Uprising
    Revenge
  • craigy Staff 15 Jan 2013 16:01:33 7,775 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The complete set of Dinner For Five has been uploaded to YouTube, which is nice. We watched the Ben Affleck, Kevin Smith, Colin Farrell & Jennifer Garner episode last night. Interesting at times.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DinnerForFive/videos?flow=grid&view=1
  • Deleted user 15 January 2013 16:05:00
    jonsaan wrote:
    Southland is criminally under-rated, but better than The Wire? Come on.

The Wire > The Shield > Southland is my personal order of preference.

I think the new series starts next month, doesn't it?
  • Zomeguy 15 Jan 2013 16:19:47 79 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Not sure how new those are, but:
    Eureka
    Haven

I like Person of Interest, but feel that they could have done more with the idea.
  • Trane 15 Jan 2013 16:23:55 4,058 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    HairyArse wrote:
    jonsaan wrote:
    Southland is criminally under-rated, but better than The Wire? Come on.

The Wire > The Shield > Southland is my personal order of preference.
    Same for me. Although the Shield still has the best pilot and finale :)
  • Page

of 6 First / Last