Looper - Bruce Willis kicks his younger selfs ass.

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous
  • Buztafen 12 Apr 2012 18:46:36 16,376 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just watched the 3 teasers for a new film called Looper. Sounds pretty sweet.

Basic premise is Bruce Willis is sent back in time so his younger self (played by Joseph 'im in loads of movies at the moment' Gorden Levitts in Brucie face prosthetics) can assassinate...himself.

Hi-jinks ensue.

Proper trailers up tomorrow apparently.
  • mrcrumley 12 Apr 2012 18:53:28 378 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Colour me interested. Looks interesting.

Edit: said interest too many times, oh dear said it again.

Edited by mrcrumley at 18:54:19 12-04-2012
  • Deleted user 12 April 2012 18:54:33
    The director, Rian Johnson, also made Brick which is brilliant.
  • Buztafen 12 Apr 2012 18:57:32 16,376 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    To be honest either leads involvement would make me want to go see a movie. Having both of them there and attempting to kill each other makes it all the better.
  • SolidSCB 12 Apr 2012 18:58:46 6,932 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It sounds fucking excellent in a 'this makes no fucking sense, but is awesome anyway' sort of way. Plus Willis is always a winner with me.
  • Deleted user 12 April 2012 19:02:11
    Bruce hasn't been enough to make me want to see a film for a long time but Levitt is a very good actor that seems to be good at picking interesting roles.
  • BinaryBob101 12 Apr 2012 19:05:01 23,568 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The timey-wimey stuff has been helped along by the writer from Primer, so it should be a total headfuck.

Looking forward to it.

www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

• Flightrisker 12 Apr 2012 20:58:38 18,138 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    "In the futuristic action thriller Looper, time travel will be invented - but it will be illegal and only available on the black market. When the mob wants to get rid of someone, they will send their target 30 years into the past, where a "looper" - a hired gun, like Joe (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) - is waiting to mop up. Joe is getting rich and life is good... until the day the mob decides to "close the loop," sending back Joe's future self (Bruce Willis) for assassination."

It doesn't matter how many times I read that it just never makes any sense to me. Why send them back in time? Why not just kill them? How is that any better? What am I not getting here?
  • Deleted user 12 April 2012 21:02:30
    I guess because the killer is untraceable because they don't exist yet, or something similar.
  • ecu 12 Apr 2012 21:05:31 77,039 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Looks pretty cool, though I am a little disappointed they couldn't make young Bruce look exactly as he used to. The description made me think of Die Hard Bruce Willis fighting his current self. I thought movie special effects would be able to achieve this by now.
  • Deleted user 12 April 2012 21:07:30
    They can, although it would probably end up looking as good as Bridges did in Tron. This is a pretty low budget film so prosthetics was probably their only good option.
  • spamdangled 12 Apr 2012 21:10:07 27,413 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Paradox brain melt incoming...

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• spamdangled 12 Apr 2012 21:12:49 27,413 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    I guess because the killer is untraceable because they don't exist yet, or something similar.
    Or maybe trying to undo something his younger self did in some sort of attempt to change a course of events?

But the whole "kill your younger self" thing would just cause a paradox, thereby undoing the murder anyway.

Unless there's something I'm missing.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• SolidSCB 12 Apr 2012 21:13:02 6,932 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    Looks pretty cool, though I am a little disappointed they couldn't make young Bruce look exactly as he used to. The description made me think of Die Hard Bruce Willis fighting his current self. I thought movie special effects would be able to achieve this by now.
    They should just steal stock clips from Die Hard instead of a different actor and fit it all together somehow.

"I'm from the future"
    "WELCOME TO THE PARTY, PAL!"
    "I was sent to kill you"
    "HOW CAN SO MUCH SHIT HAPPEN TO THE SAME PERSON?"
    "Die"
    "YIPEE-KI-YAY MOTHERFUCKER!"

/fin
  • LeoliansBro 12 Apr 2012 21:16:02 44,512 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wasn't fussed until I saw the director. Should have known given JGL.

Interesting.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Deleted user 12 April 2012 21:17:02
    darkmorgado wrote:
    But the whole "kill your younger self" thing would just cause a paradox, thereby undoing the murder anyway.

I think you might have discovered part of the plot.
  • mrpon 12 Apr 2012 21:23:48 29,204 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've heard there is a dutch rudder scene.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• neilka 12 Apr 2012 21:23:59 16,270 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Change the k in the thread title to an l and I'm in.
  • HanzNolo 13 Apr 2012 07:25:40 2 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Flightrisker wrote:
    It doesn't matter how many times I read that it just never makes any sense to me. Why send them back in time? Why not just kill them? How is that any better? What am I not getting here?
    The film explains that it is much harder to dispose of a body in the future due to "tagging techniques and what not". So the mob sends their target back 30 years to a Looper, hog tied and with a sack over their head, to be killed and disposed of.

The time machine is set to a fixed time of 30 years to the past, wich explains why they wouldn't just send them back to the dark ages or something. Though that could also severely alter the future sending them back that far dead or alive anyhow.

darkmorgado wrote:

The older version (Willis) is sent back to be killed by his younger self (JGL) in a process that is called "Closing your loop".

I've read the screenplay and seen this at a screening a few months back.

Hope this clears up some confusion (:
  • Whizzo 13 Apr 2012 08:10:41 43,197 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So someone just disappearing in the future doesn't suggest to the authorities that they've been sent back in time?

I thought the idea of a future version of person being sent back in time and being hunted by his younger self sounded like a plot Philip K Dick would have thought up, having watched the teaser it looks like something PKD wouldn't have thought up even when he was completely out of his mind on various substances.

It's going to take a lot more convincing trailer action than that to get this to be anything above the "watch it when it's on Sky Movies" level.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Buztafen 13 Apr 2012 08:33:00 16,376 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well the trailers up. Cant watch it at work though.
  • mrcrumley 13 Apr 2012 08:55:24 378 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Really enjoyed the trailer. Look forward to this.
  • PhoenixFlames 13 Apr 2012 08:59:14 9,189 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    SolidSCB wrote:
    ecureuil wrote:
    They should just steal stock clips from Die Hard instead of a different actor and fit it all together somehow.

"I'm from the future"
    "WELCOME TO THE PARTY, PAL!"
    "I was sent to kill you"
    "HOW CAN SO MUCH SHIT HAPPEN TO THE SAME PERSON?"
    "Die"
    "YIPEE-KI-YAY MOTHERFUCKER!"
    /fin
    :-D made me laugh that did.

PSN - phoenix1flames

• HanzNolo 13 Apr 2012 08:59:37 2 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Whizzo wrote:
    It's going to take a lot more convincing trailer action than that to get this to be anything above the "watch it when it's on Sky Movies" level.
    Time travel movies are tricky and pretty much never make sense as there are always plot holes to be found if you look in the right places. Some movies (especially time travel/hitmen movies) require a suspension of disbelief.

If you can't enjoy something until the premise/plot summary is completely solid and void of nitpicks then this isn't for you.

Here is the director explaining the movie and the inherent problems that go with making a time travel movie. Specifically at 1:30

• Deleted user 13 April 2012 08:59:45
    Billy_Sastard wrote:
    Bruce Willis is a ghost.
    No, didn't he release the giraffes?
  • Whizzo 13 Apr 2012 09:11:29 43,197 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    My planet detector is going off.

This space left intentionally blank.

• neilka 13 Apr 2012 09:29:10 16,270 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    HANZNOLO WAS BRUCE WILLIS ALL ALONG
  • sport 13 Apr 2012 10:06:13 12,776 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Billy_Sastard wrote:
    @HanzNolo

Deja Vu did a pretty good job IMO, I'm looking forward to this
    I quite like Primer - bloody complicated though.
  • Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous