Deadlight Page 3

  • Page

    of 4 First / Last

  • Kid_Icarus 1 Aug 2012 22:45:49 556 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I really don't understand the reviews for this game. A lot of people are saying the gameplay is great the visuals are fantastic and it has bags of atmosphere, but deducting 4 or 5 points for a lack of content for the price point. Braid, Limbo and Portal are all 3 hour games for the same price, and they got 9 and 10s across the board. If the game is good, the length is a minor point, especially if it's well paced.

    I get the feeling the reviewers have decided to use the in game clock as a handy (but flawed) scapegoat against the general XBLA price rise. Everything I've seen about this game, including the reviews but not the actual scores, suggests a solid 8/10 to me.
  • repairmanjack 1 Aug 2012 23:15:29 5,998 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Loving it so far: thirty mins in. Length issues are as relevant to me here as they were for every reviewer who gushed over Journey. Which I finished in about fifty minutes as I recall. Game has atmosphere on spades.

    Narrator sounds like George Carlin though. :)
  • Deleted user 2 August 2012 07:55:00
    First time I've ever considered contacting the review site to ask them why they published complete lies.
  • Blerk Moderator 2 Aug 2012 09:03:50 48,225 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Gave the trial a whirl last night and I was pretty surprised, it seems rather cool despite a whole bunch of bad press. Maybe it gets much worse later on?

    Anyway, didn't stump up the points yet... but might. Maybe.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 2 Aug 2012 09:07:53 25,512 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Played it for around an hour or so last night and really enjoyed it. Itís got bags of atmosphere and has been good fun so far.

    The melee combat is a little wonky and the aiming of guns a bit off, but it just about works.
  • Ultrasoundwave 2 Aug 2012 09:28:22 3,276 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Same here - did an hour last night and enjoyed it.

    Im not going to start criticising the bad press until i've finished it, but at the moment the low scores seem way off........

    "The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

  • kinky_mong 2 Aug 2012 11:08:44 10,100 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    7/10 is a low score?

    Played the demo last night and it seemed good but not "I must immediately buy this" good. Possibly because I was expecting Metroidvania and it's more Flashback/Another World.

    I'll never get my Orc looking the same again.

  • Deleted user 2 August 2012 15:05:38
    Now four and a half hours in with no end game in sight. Two hours is very impressive considering I haven't got stuck.
  • Syrette 2 Aug 2012 15:10:11 43,232 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    repairmanjack wrote:
    Loving it so far: thirty mins in. Length issues are as relevant to me here as they were for every reviewer who gushed over Journey. Which I finished in about fifty minutes as I recall. Game has atmosphere on spades.

    Narrator sounds like George Carlin though. :)
    Yeah, I don't understand why it's one rule for one game and another rule for another despite them both having short-ish lengths.

  • sanctusmortis 2 Aug 2012 16:24:39 9,627 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Finished it, just mopping up collectibles now. Last chapter is pretty much a joke, far too short and far too trial and error. If it wasn't for the game's trial and error parts, and the fact the controls just don't seem responsive enough, this could be great. As it is... try the trial, and think of it as merely the tutorial.
  • toythatkills 2 Aug 2012 17:00:37 158 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    Yeah, I don't understand why it's one rule for one game and another rule for another despite them both having short-ish lengths.
    For me, there's a difference between a short game and a game that feels short. LIMBO was short but it didn't feel short because you were always experiencing something new and being made to approach puzzles in new ways. Same with Braid.

    Deadlight is short but it really feels short because for the entire two hours, it's just the same platforming over and over again.

    There's more to it than just "this game takes x hours so is 7/10."
  • kinky_mong 2 Aug 2012 17:07:40 10,100 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    toythatkills wrote:
    Syrette wrote:
    Yeah, I don't understand why it's one rule for one game and another rule for another despite them both having short-ish lengths.
    For me, there's a difference between a short game and a game that feels short. LIMBO was short but it didn't feel short because that sodding factory seemed to go on for ages with tedious puzzles.
    Fixed based on my experience of Limbo ;)

    I'll never get my Orc looking the same again.

  • sanctusmortis 3 Aug 2012 00:09:13 9,627 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The problem with Deadlight is pretty much until halfway through act 2 it still feels a bit tutorial. Then you get to act 3, and you notice it's half as long as the others. And it just ends. And you think... uh?
  • andytheadequate 3 Aug 2012 09:34:06 8,111 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    repairmanjack wrote:
    Loving it so far: thirty mins in. Length issues are as relevant to me here as they were for every reviewer who gushed over Journey. Which I finished in about fifty minutes as I recall. Game has atmosphere on spades.

    Narrator sounds like George Carlin though. :)
    Yeah, I don't understand why it's one rule for one game and another rule for another despite them both having short-ish lengths.
    I imagine the one rule is that good games that happen to be short get good scores (portal, limbo et al) and short painfully average games get average scores (deadlight).


    I played it for around an hour last night and it's nothing special at all. The story is put to shame by the walking dead, the platforming by shadow complex, the puzzles and setting by limbo.

    My two main gripes with the game is the horrible jumping mechanics, especially when required to be accurate, and the dull combat/running away

    So far it's a 5/10, perhaps 6 if you really love the setting.
  • Deleted user 3 August 2012 09:56:39
    Positives. Fantasic visuals, superb atmosphere, even better soundtrack. Good ending. Nice variety in locations.

    Negativesg Controls sometimes not perfect but to be fair are good. Too many tips. Could be longer but in a way it feels right at this length. Some voice acting.

    A few reviews neg the end part of the game for tricky jumping sections, puzzling, there are some but none require more than one or two trys

    9

    Edited by revan8 at 09:57:17 03-08-2012
  • Deleted user 3 August 2012 10:00:02
    andytheadequate wrote:
    Syrette wrote:
    repairmanjack wrote:
    Loving it so far: thirty mins in. Length issues are as relevant to me here as they were for every reviewer who gushed over Journey. Which I finished in about fifty minutes as I recall. Game has atmosphere on spades.

    Narrator sounds like George Carlin though. :)
    Yeah, I don't understand why it's one rule for one game and another rule for another despite them both having short-ish lengths.
    I imagine the one rule is that good games that happen to be short get good scores (portal, limbo et al) and short painfully average games get average scores (deadlight).


    I played it for around an hour last night and it's nothing special at all. The story is put to shame by the walking dead, the platforming by shadow complex, the puzzles and setting by limbo.

    My two main gripes with the game is the horrible jumping mechanics, especially when required to be accurate, and the dull combat/running away

    So far it's a 5/10, perhaps 6 if you really love the setting.
    Strange, never had issues with jumping. If I missed one felt it was my fault. Between each move u must centre the stick then enter the new input. Different but works fine
  • BinaryBob101 3 Aug 2012 22:38:02 22,635 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    You.

    Sir_Walter_Rally wrote:
    Many films are based on phone charge running out and being trapped somewhere...

  • oceanmotion 4 Aug 2012 13:55:11 15,770 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Gave the demo a go, not impressed. The jumping is a little off but nothing a few tries won't solve. What is with the rainbow highlight on ladders, makes me think something is broken, which brings me to other oddities, game is rough, some environment stuff just pops instead of going through the animation. Not very polished.

    While the art is okay, not as great as I was expecting and doesn't lend itself too well to game play needing UI prompts to even know there is something there and the little pointers on ledges, just makes me think style over substance. From what I played there is little imagination or fun. Voice acting is awful. Take away peoples love of zombies and post apocalyptic setting, you have one bad game.

    Harsh for a demo but from other impressions, doesn't sound like it goes places.

    Edited by oceanmotion at 13:55:53 04-08-2012

    Edited by oceanmotion at 13:56:42 04-08-2012
  • SFD 4 Aug 2012 14:45:20 490 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Completed it last night and I quite enjoyed it. Total playtime said 2h 45m but i'd say it's a 4 or so hour game, possibly more. It didn't feel short, but I think 800msp would be a better price for this.

    The last section is too much trial and error, and it does ruin it slightly. The controls are fine IMO, when I died it felt like I did it wrong, rather than a control issue.

    Overall a good buy if you like this type of game.
  • repairmanjack 4 Aug 2012 15:52:24 5,998 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Apparently, the developers have discovered a bug on the in-game timer. It runs at half speed. They couldn't figure out how players were destroying their level times.

    So, double the play time for all the reviewers that complained about it, yeah? And does this mean that scores will be going up on every review that marked it down for being "only two hours"?

    You know, the way they hammered Journey for being even shorter than that? Twats.
  • repairmanjack 4 Aug 2012 15:53:41 5,998 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    And for what it's worth, it's up there with Walking Dead and Awesomenauts as my favourite XBLA releases of the year.
  • Deleted user 4 August 2012 17:19:33
    One more secret to get then got 100% whoop whoop. 238 in the world.
  • Deleted user 4 August 2012 17:19:34
    One more secret to get then got 100% whoop whoop. 238 in the world.
  • toythatkills 4 Aug 2012 18:27:35 158 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    repairmanjack wrote:
    Apparently, the developers have discovered a bug on the in-game timer. It runs at half speed. They couldn't figure out how players were destroying their level times.
    Nice tirade, but I'm pretty sure this is bollocks, I'm afraid. It doesn't go very well with your "reviewers are twats" narrative, but alas. Obviously I'd have to sit with a stopwatch to be sure but when a level told me it took two minutes, it felt like two minutes. The only problem I've seen with the timer is that it resets when you die, which I think is what they're talking about, it's not running slow or anything.

    Edited by toythatkills at 18:28:31 04-08-2012
  • Deleted user 4 August 2012 22:51:45
    I've now completed in 1h 20min. BUT the timer only counts in game time. My first playthrough took 4h 30m real time but game clock 2h 30m ish. If I was publishing a review I would put 4 to 5 hours first playthrough. After first time you can really blitz it.
  • andytheadequate 5 Aug 2012 11:38:34 8,111 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Deadlight hasn't been marked down because it is short. Its been marked down because it is awful. If anything its too long.

    half the times I dir in this game are due to the bad controls or mechanics, and most of the other half is the trial and error nature of the game.

    The only good thing about the game is the setting, but even that isn't taken advantage of properly as the story is rubbish.
  • samk 6 Aug 2012 10:38:43 703 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    After an initial period of loving the setting and thinking this was going to be great, it's quickly become a frustrating trial and error fest.

    I'm about 50% through it so far. The controls are sluggish. The melee is not remotely fun. The voice acting is terrible. I was having some fun aiming with the pistol, but then two minutes later they removed all my weps. The Ratman section with cliched spike traps is just silly. The helicopter chase bits took me about a dozen attempts apiece due to how sluggish the controls are. Visually it looks nice but I'm often losing platforms in all the background art.

    I'll still finish it, given how short it evidently is, but what a disappointment. :(
  • Deleted user 6 August 2012 13:30:36
    Oh dear, controls are not perfect but sounds like you just need to be better. Helicopter sections are easy and shouldn't result in death.
  • repairmanjack 6 Aug 2012 13:58:58 5,998 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This isn't awful, by a long way. I know because I frequently play (and often enjoy) some pretty ropey games. (I'm a lot like Duffman in that way.)

    Seems to be a lot of hipster hate here that I just can't fathom; each to their own, of course. I couldn't stand Spelunky, so I'm in the minority on that one.
  • smoothpete 6 Aug 2012 14:21:09 31,459 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I died so many times at the helicopter bit!
  • Page

    of 4 First / Last

Log in or register to reply