EBook adventures.

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • MisterObvious 7 Apr 2012 16:42:53 1,409 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    As a result of moving house, I have to have a massive cull of the boxes of paperbacks I've accumulated over the years. To soften the blow, I'm going to buy an ereader to replace some of the books that I'll be sending on their way.

First off, is the kindle still king? Secondly, are there any decent multipublisher websites around, rather than giving those taxdodging scumpuppies at amazon any more of my money?

Edited by Immaterial at 16:57:45 07-04-2012

Think I'll just switch everything off.

• mal 7 Apr 2012 18:42:59 22,684 posts
    Seen 20 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    IIRC the Kobo is worth checking out, and Sony readers are still pretty decent. Kindle will (IIRC) only read Amazon stuff and stuff you email amazon to convert, while the others generally take ePub stuff amongst others. Oh, and there's also the Nook from Barnes and Noble which I think is available outside the US, though I've never seen anyone on the tube using one, so I wouldn't know.

As for buying ePub books, never done it, so I wouldn't know, but I'd assume you can get them off Smiths or perhaps overseas retailers like B&N.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Lexx87 7 Apr 2012 18:46:44 20,863 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Kindle will take aby epub you throw at it. It's the best of the lot.

Speak the truth hussy!

• mal 7 Apr 2012 19:09:07 22,684 posts
    Seen 20 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I stand corrected. Seems they've relented and will allow ePub on Kindle as of a year ago. A quick google seems to be throwing up lots of old information though, so how does it work? Do you still need to convert them?

• Lexx87 7 Apr 2012 21:58:17 20,863 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think so using Calibre, that's what I use anyway. It's a quick minute job.

Speak the truth hussy!

• mal 7 Apr 2012 23:02:20 22,684 posts
    Seen 20 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ah okay, same as what I found via Google from 2010, so perhaps the situation hasn't changed. Still, if your sync software does the conversion for you then I accept it's not much of a hassle.

• Lexx87 8 Apr 2012 00:09:06 20,863 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah it's well easy, Calibre has a Kindle button that does it all for ya.

I was just saying epubs will work, despite the extra step :)

I trird that Kobo reader in Smiths. It is quite poor compared sadly.

Speak the truth hussy!

• mal 8 Apr 2012 00:40:58 22,684 posts
    Seen 20 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    How so, out of interest? Screen or general usability?

• Lexx87 8 Apr 2012 00:59:55 20,863 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't know really, they had three models on show. Heavier, not as nice to hold, felt clunky to use.

I love the little non-keyboard Kindle though so I am a bit biased.

Speak the truth hussy!

• Ginger 8 Apr 2012 06:46:44 6,867 posts
    Seen 32 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Lexx87 wrote:
    I don't know really, they had three models on show. Heavier, not as nice to hold, felt clunky to use.

I love the little non-keyboard Kindle though so I am a bit biased.
    I have the kobo and have never used a kindle so can't comment on better or worse, bit the kobo seems pretty good to me.

London open taekwondo champion

• wobbly_Bob 8 Apr 2012 09:00:39 1,821 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The kobo touch is regarded well in reviews. It's pretty much up there with the kindle. It's user interface is a little nicer and also has reading stats and... achievements, which is a nice touch.

Kindle still wins on a having a larger more varied book collection to buy from and also bolder crisper fonts and display. A few reviews I read described the kobo fonts as "thin" of the 2 of them I personally like the kindle but then it's what I own so I am probably biassed lol but if you really dont want to go with amazon then the kobo is probably your best choice.

You can find 1000's of free books Here at many books. They are out of copywrite classics. They are available for dowload in various formats including kindle. They also link on the main page to reviews of all the major ebook readers
  • MisterObvious 8 Apr 2012 18:01:47 1,409 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well, having bought a non-technical relative a kindle at Christmas and had a play with it, I was impressed. If that calibre software will let me load whatever books I want onto whatever device I want, I might just go for a kindle touch.

Edited by Immaterial at 19:40:58 08-04-2012

• philreeduk 8 Apr 2012 23:51:08 313 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    If you already own any apple devices try a free app called stanza, granted its not as good as the new kindle but I feel it does an admirable job!
  • Deleted user 9 April 2012 00:10:09
    philreeduk wrote:
    If you already own any apple devices try a free app called stanza, granted its not as good as the new kindle but I feel it does an admirable job!
    iStuff doesn't have a good enough battery life to function as a decent e-reader. Plus the screen will absolutely murder your eyes after a while of reading black text on a white background on a high-gloss screen.
  • yegon 9 Apr 2012 00:15:24 5,329 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Extremely minimal battery usage using ebooks on the iPhone, be it Stanza, iBooks or Kindle app. Sepia and low brightness isn't too harsh on the eyes either.
  • Deleted user 9 April 2012 02:23:07
    Kindles are the defacto leader, though much like iStuff they're not necessarily the best made. I hear the Nooks have higher build quality, but regardless of what you get you're going to be tied into something somewhere (unless you root). But the Amazon store is by far the larger market, and as others have opined you can use Calibre to flawlessly convert the ePubs you can get elsewhere, and it's worth getting a Kindle just for the utter amazingness of Amazon Support, to be honest, you can stamp on it and pour vinegar into the jagged shards of the screen and they'll still send you a new one, for free, and collect the old one, paying for the courier themselves.

Kobos are not brilliant from what I've heard though, dodgy contrast and slow page turning. Though you'd only really notice them if you have two different readers side-by-side, so really just go for whatever's cheapest (or has the features you want) out of Kindle, Nook or Kobo. Anything else is not really worth bothering with.
  • MisterObvious 20 Apr 2012 22:13:22 1,409 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Kindle Touch is now on its way...

• mrpon 20 Apr 2012 22:31:49 29,183 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I held a Kobo the other day. It's a nice bit of kit.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• MisterObvious 24 Apr 2012 09:45:51 1,409 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Immaterial wrote:
    Kindle Touch is now on its way...
    ... and was waiting for me when I got home from work last night. It's lovely- going to be very hard to stick to my guns of only using it to replace the books that are being sent on to a new home.

Wish I hadn't gone slightly mad when ordering it and bought an overpriced cover with a light though- I can see the light arm snapping off in a couple of months.

• damagedinc 12 Sep 2012 15:12:39 885 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Carrying my gorgeous lord of the rings hardback to read on train starting to seem a bit stupid. Along with books taking up to much space decided ereader way forward.

I have a samsung galaxy s2 for my traveling internet, social and viewing time killing so dont think i really need a tablet.

So thinking about a simple kindle e reader. Worried the kindle fire hd will kill my eyes for long reading sessions. Although does open possibility of digi comics (blasphemy)

Any tips?
  • D_arkTrooper 13 Sep 2012 13:17:55 1,320 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yes.

Buy it.

3DS Friend Code : 5000-2484-1471

Animal Crossing alter ego: Andy from Stoke

• damagedinc 13 Sep 2012 20:59:55 885 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Haha thanks.

Anyone know much about paperwhite and when its over here?
  • Carlo 10 Oct 2012 20:42:27 18,093 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    http://us.txtr.com/beagle/

10 ereader that runs on AAA batteries, has books delivered to it via bluetooth off your mobile.

Edited by Carlo at 20:43:31 10-10-2012

Edited by Carlo at 20:46:17 10-10-2012

PSN ID: Djini

• jellyhead 10 Oct 2012 21:12:31 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Interesting. I've subscribed to their mailing list, cheers.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Page

of 1

Previous Next