Starbound

• Page

of 6 First / Last

Previous
  • Deleted user 4 April 2012 12:18:10
    Starbound is the next potential successor to Terraria developed by some of the original dev team (Not Redigit) and artists.

Set some time in the dim and distant future, players will have to build and maintain their own space station as they set out finding new worlds to explore, colonise and pillage for resources.

Looks a lot of fun, especially with buildable mechsuits. Latest RPS look here.
  • RobAnybody 13 Apr 2013 09:30:26 881 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Now available for pre-order:

http://www.playstarbound.com/store/

Pre-ordering will give you access to the Beta when it's available (sometime this year).

It's due out on PC, Mac and Linux.

Edited by RobAnybody at 09:30:54 13-04-2013
  • RobAnybody 16 Apr 2013 22:12:04 881 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Eurogamer's new article on Starbound:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-04-16-2d-randomly-generated-sandbox-adventure-starbound-secures-over-USD600k-in-three-days?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews
  • Blerk Moderator 20 Aug 2013 21:06:29 48,225 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Coming to PS4!
  • Deleted user 4 December 2013 19:59:20
    Any help finding some wooden planks to make my crafting table? I seem to be on a planet where the trees are made of metal... :-S
  • PearOfAnguish 5 Dec 2013 11:55:42 7,137 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    SovietofBears wrote:
    Any help finding some wooden planks to make my crafting table? I seem to be on a planet where the trees are made of metal... :-S
    Er, yeah, I'd like to know this too.

Game seems very impressive so far but it has the same problem as Terraria: you get dropped into a deceptively complex game with very little guidance.

Make a crafting table, it says. Alright, great, but where and how?
  • Razz 5 Dec 2013 11:58:10 60,750 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You craft wooden planks from wood in the crafting menu, from that you make a wooden table. Once you ha e a wooden table you interact with it using the e key to make other stuff. I love this game so far, already have a sizable base.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• magicpanda 5 Dec 2013 11:59:06 13,262 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    How "Early Access" is it? Lots of missing stuff etc?
  • INSOMANiAC 5 Dec 2013 12:24:59 3,829 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Anyone up for putting to for a four pack? 7.50 each?

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• PearOfAnguish 5 Dec 2013 12:28:00 7,137 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    You craft wooden planks from wood in the crafting menu, from that you make a wooden table. Once you ha e a wooden table you interact with it using the e key to make other stuff. I love this game so far, already have a sizable base.
    Yeah, same as Terraria, trouble is you can start off by being dropped into a biome with no wood. I've walked around for a while and still haven't found any, and my health is almost all gone. But without wood I can't do anything about that, it seems.
  • magicpanda 5 Dec 2013 12:30:43 13,262 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @INSOMANiAC Came in to post the same thing. Definitely count me in.
  • munki83 5 Dec 2013 13:07:14 1,397 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Played an hour or so this morning. I found the gathering a bit slow but that will get better over time when I get a better gathering device thingy. I also have a issue with the ui and controls. IT looks like I can assign items to left and right mouse buttons but it doesn't work...well it doesn't work for me
  • Deleted user 5 December 2013 14:07:43
    @PearOfAnguish Glad I'm not the only one struggling with this :) I did a load of Googling yesterday to try and figure out what the heck is going on and have come to the conclusion you are royally screwed if your game starts in a biome without wooden trees!

Really, I know it's beta but if this is the case it's incredibly poor design.
  • BillMurray 5 Dec 2013 14:29:43 7,605 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Currently watching a Giant Bomb quick look. Looks pretty good.
  • PearOfAnguish 5 Dec 2013 17:20:17 7,137 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is there a way to place a single block, rather than four at once? Unnecessarily uses up your reserves of materials otherwise.
  • munki83 5 Dec 2013 17:24:42 1,397 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @PearOfAnguish Hold down shift
  • RobAnybody 5 Dec 2013 17:31:57 881 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    magicpanda wrote:
    How "Early Access" is it? Lots of missing stuff etc?

Starbound is currently very early beta so yes, loads is missing and broken. Unless you like beta testing software I'd avoid it for now and wait a few months to see if they manage to make a decent game out of it - stick to Terraria if you just want to play a bloody excellent game of this type right now. :)
  • Wavey 5 Dec 2013 17:32:00 353 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I like the look of this but I adore that music from the giant bomb quick look! I might have to try just get that for now until I have the pennies for the game!
  • PenguinJim 6 Dec 2013 03:59:48 5,754 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I couldn't resist buying about an hour ago. Seeing a few people here wanting it, I went for the four-pack, and I get US$ prices, so it's a bit cheaper. If anyone wants it gifting to them through Steam for 7, let me know.

Otherwise I'll enjoy playing it on four PCs simultaneously. :p
  • magicpanda 6 Dec 2013 08:08:31 13,262 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @PenguinJim I'll pm you when I get to my pc.
  • PearOfAnguish 6 Dec 2013 12:19:53 7,137 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    munki83 wrote:
    @PearOfAnguish Hold down shift
    Much love my man, this was bugging the hell out of me.
  • Wavey 6 Dec 2013 12:34:20 353 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @PenguinJim ah thats cheap! I am so skint.... but 7! Tempting!
  • magicpanda 6 Dec 2013 12:45:45 13,262 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hats off to PJ. Bargain!
  • Razz 6 Dec 2013 14:13:21 60,750 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm absolutely loving this game, took a while to click as the crafting is quite different to Terraria. Also, I thought the only way to heal was to sleep! I found bandages in the crafting menu now, just 7 plant matter each, has made spelunking much easier.

To people that start with metal forests, just mine coal. You can use it for spaceship fuel to travel to another planet.

I have a hunting knife and shield now, easily my favorite combination for exploring the surface of worlds. I've also found the merchant who sells all sorts of stims.

• Razz 6 Dec 2013 23:17:28 60,750 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    OMG The first boss is fricking hard, it took me a whole day to beat it! :D All I can say is thank God for Snow Infantry Armour! Which, btw, is way too overpowered, I have a feeling it'll be nerfed soon. It's actually easier to make Snow Armour than Silver Armour and not only that, it's actually way better.

• CrispyLog 7 Dec 2013 00:07:41 114 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    First boss is ridiculous! I was following the tutorial quests expecting it to be easy and I didn't stand a chance so I just abandoned that planet and my outpost and started up somewhere new.

Banana bread is fantastic, full hunger and full health. My spawn point on the planet is just a banana and wheat farm with all my crafting stuff in my ship for a quick getaway. Really enjoying it though, just a shame that so far it feels very familiar to Terraria, I almost wish they would get rid of mining and woodcutting just to make it a bit different.
  • Page

of 6 First / Last

Previous