Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Herk?
  • Deleted user 19 March 2013 15:08:10
    A new lighting engine built for ps4 :

• Dirtbox 19 Mar 2013 15:20:55 79,202 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hate to break it to you, but it's just a bog standard middleware engine, there's nothing PS4 specific about it, it was revealed at GDC last year, long before any PS4 media was available to the public and used previously in BF3.

Here's the original video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YOQc8gg-3Y

And here are some games that use it. http://vimeo.com/54093220

The first of the onslaught of fanboy propagated bullshit.

Edited by Dirtbox at 15:28:20 19-03-2013

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Deleted user 19 March 2013 15:31:29
    cheers for clearing that up. I guess the company have just re-released the videos then with a statement :

Geomerics, the leading lighting technology company in the video game industry, today announced its support for Sony Computer Entertainment's newly announced PlayStation®4. Enlighten is now available to developers working on PlayStation®4 titles, bringing real-time global illumination to the next generation of games.
    PS4

Enlighten is award-winning lighting software and the world's first fully real-time global illumination technology. Packed full of time-saving workflow features and a lightweight runtime, Enlighten is the only solution proven to deliver fully dynamic lighting on today's PCs, game consoles and mobile platforms. The technology has been used to add lighting effects to some of today’s most advanced and best-selling titles, including Battlefield 3, Need for Speed: The Run, Eve Online, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and the upcoming Dragon Age 3.

PlayStation®4 promises a dramatic increase in memory and compute resource, which will free developers to unleash the full creative power of dynamic lighting and to finally extend cinematographic film practices to dynamic immersive worlds.

“We are delighted to be working on PlayStation®4” said Geomerics’ founder Dr. Chris Doran. “The hardware is everything we were hoping for in a next generation console, and a huge step forward from the current generation. Real-time global illumination was a big deal for games running on the current generation of hardware, but it required developers to make some compromises. With PlayStation®4, those days are behind us. We can finally unleash the full power of Enlighten, and allow game developers working on PlayStation®4 games to bring far deeper levels of dynamism and quality to game lighting. We cannot wait to see what developers produce with Enlighten.”

VP Sales Rob Precious added “The amount of interest from developers for PlayStation®4 is huge. The next few months are going to be very exciting for us and we are looking forward to publishers and developers revealing some of what we have been working on.”

bizarre!
  • Dirtbox 19 Mar 2013 15:33:47 79,202 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Welcome to something that's been in PC games for a few years now, have to admire the spin the fans are putting on it.

It does answer on thing for me though, I thought a lot of the lighting on the console versions of BF3 looked crap, even baked in at times.

Edited by Dirtbox at 15:43:13 19-03-2013

• IronGiant 19 Mar 2013 16:29:44 4,620 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Looking forward to e3 this year, should be amusing watching Sony and MS try to one-up each other at every opportunity :) Though it could be a damp squib if they go off in different directions.. i admire Sony for going for a gaming focussed console but i'm not so sure that's a wise move with mobiles/tablets eating into gamers budgets and time.
  • oceanmotion 19 Mar 2013 16:42:17 16,126 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just reminds me how much I dislike the look of the Unreal engine. Art must come into but something always shines through that I don't like.
  • Deleted user 19 March 2013 16:56:14
    IronGiant wrote:
    Looking forward to e3 this year, should be amusing watching Sony and MS try to one-up each other at every opportunity :) Though it could be a damp squib if they go off in different directions.. i admire Sony for going for a gaming focussed console but i'm not so sure that's a wise move with mobiles/tablets eating into gamers budgets and time.
    We all want a gamer focussed console. But theres going to be a lot of fighting for the box under the tv. Especially with Digital Distribution growing and growing. I expect both to role out pretty extensive media machines. Sony may not focus it on as much for now, but it will be there and talked up more and more as release date looms.

It be interesting to see how downloads of films etc will happen, whether we can keep them, and use them on other devices. Thing that worries me, is that a company is only a second away from hitting hte off button, and everything you buy is gone!
  • Dirtbox 19 Mar 2013 16:59:52 79,202 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    oceanmotion wrote:
    Just reminds me how much I dislike the look of the Unreal engine. Art must come into but something always shines through that I don't like.
    It's middleware lighting that isn't game engine specific, Frostbyte 2 is a better example really.

Edited by Dirtbox at 17:01:19 19-03-2013

• DodgyPast 19 Mar 2013 17:31:51 8,538 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    At the very least isn't that the kind of thing that would benefit from a bucket load of high bandwidth RAM.
  • ResidentKnievel 19 Mar 2013 19:55:56 6,291 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Does anything benefit from a bucket load of high bandwith RAM?

Or will devs waste years finding a use for it like with the Cell?

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• RobTheBuilder 19 Mar 2013 20:43:13 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @ResidentKnievel to be fair a chunk of fast ram is a hell of a lot easier to utilise than a complex new processor type.
  • Lukus 19 Mar 2013 20:59:52 19,473 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ResidentKnievel wrote:
    Does anything benefit from a bucket load of high bandwith RAM?

Or will devs waste years finding a use for it like with the Cell?
    UH-OH!...

Paintings & Photographs

• mothercruncher 19 Mar 2013 21:21:05 7,819 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Lets wait and see what Vizzini says before we jump to conclusions guys...
  • ResidentKnievel 19 Mar 2013 21:25:42 6,291 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm just interested if it can be put to use or if there's nothing noticeable that it can do that a slower amount of smaller ram can do just as well. Obviously it's not going to be obtrusive like an exotic CPU, but it might not be needed and be a waste of money for Sony.

8GB GDDR5 sounds exciting but I have no idea what it means or what it will enable and I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas what it'll mean.

Edited by ResidentKnievel at 21:29:03 19-03-2013

• ResidentKnievel 19 Mar 2013 21:32:44 6,291 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I feel like the vidcons in this comic:

• RobTheBuilder 19 Mar 2013 21:35:42 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @ResidentKnievel well it means bigger capacity for textures, it will also help with thinks like anti aliasing and the like. The lack of ram was cited as one of the biggest limitations of the last gen by developers
  • ResidentKnievel 19 Mar 2013 21:47:50 6,291 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, I know this gen is RAM constrained, but for next gen are developers ever going to utilize the extra bandwith in the PS4? Couldn't Sony have went with slower DDR3 RAM and it not make a difference?

What does an ultra fast unified RAM solution actually enable? It's not something you can get in PC's so I'm curious to why it's there.

• dominalien 19 Mar 2013 21:49:23 7,065 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sony have a silly way of spending more money up front just to make their console that tinny little bit more future-proof. I think this is a case of the same sort of behaviour.

PSN: DonOsito

• Dirtbox 19 Mar 2013 21:53:52 79,202 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It gives a lot of headroom to offload assets, that's about it.

• El_MUERkO 19 Mar 2013 21:55:08 17,146 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Don't knock it, mass production of GDDR5 could bring down costs for GFX card manufactures, though looking at Nvidia's Maxwell that might not matter soon :)
  • ResidentKnievel 19 Mar 2013 22:06:26 6,291 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well, that's a bit disappointing, at least it still has secondary benefits for future PC GPU's. :)

• Deleted user 28 March 2013 13:36:32
    the ps4 is looking tempting to me at launch now as looking likely that it will have Destiny, Diablo 3 and battlefield 4 at launch in Europe . Destiny has timed exclusives, Diablo 3 might be exclusive and bf lately has deals with Sony as ms have sown up cod.

I can't see myself buying any of the above for my 360 as it is past its best before date last year.
  • Bremenacht 28 Mar 2013 13:45:11 19,663 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You've not heard owt about the 720 yet though; it could have all of that with bells on.
  • ronuds 28 Mar 2013 13:54:05 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There was an article a while back about EA sidling up with MS next gen, but maybe that just means no more timed exclusives for Sony.

Found it.
  • Bremenacht 17 May 2013 00:10:24 19,663 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    PS4 site suggests Vita remote play as standard feature
  • Flying_Pig 17 May 2013 07:23:47 11,497 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That would be great for both the Vita and PS4. I hope it's supported on most titles
  • CosmicFuzz 17 May 2013 08:03:16 25,624 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah defo. Tbh if it worked properly, that would completely make the PS4 a guaranteed sale for me.

Come listen to us discuss the Playstation Experience in Episode 11 of Open Source. zoolophage writes in!

• Psychotext 17 May 2013 10:16:10 55,032 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Last I saw it was a lagfest but I guess if you're not sensitive to that sort of thing then it'll probably be fine.

(The Wii U uses special hardware to stop that happening with the gamepad)
  • Widge Moderator 17 May 2013 10:24:39 13,743 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, I remember playing Pixeljunk Eden was a bit of a turd remotely.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• Page

of 868 First / Last