• Page

of 756 First / Last

• Dirtbox 22 Feb 2013 19:46:02 77,656 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    SparkyMarky81 wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Haha, exactly.
    Ever considered that the people who design these things are much smarter than you?
    Nope, never.

Have you considered there are people on this forum smarter than you?

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Dirtbox 22 Feb 2013 19:49:48 77,656 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I didn't know he had one.

• SparkyMarky81 22 Feb 2013 19:52:11 565 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    I didn't know he had one.
    That's because there are people on this forum smarter than you. :)
  • Syrette 22 Feb 2013 19:52:34 43,240 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    blacksea wrote:
    M$
    Stopped reading there.

Always a good way to completely devalue any point you're trying to make.

• Dirtbox 22 Feb 2013 19:53:53 77,656 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    But apparently not you.

Responding to the content of a post is not the same as attacking the poster.

Edited by Dirtbox at 19:55:10 22-02-2013

• ResidentKnievel 22 Feb 2013 20:00:54 6,176 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    When you say physics stuff, do you mean that shitty havok demo from several years ago that they showed?
    pretty much.

I still haven't got used to indestructible lamp-posts and rocket-proof walls yet as experienced in most FPS games, it'd be nice if this would change for next-gen.

Edited by ResidentKnievel at 20:01:03 22-02-2013

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• Dirtbox 22 Feb 2013 20:06:47 77,656 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It won't.

There's a lot more to destructible environments than just letting people plough through everything, it all needs model swapping and debris loaded in whether or not anything gets blown up and that takes a toll on overall performance. The organic types of physics breakage where things break naturally and uniquely isn't feasible for a game either. You'd need dedicated hardware to calculate all the parts past a certain amount and that isn't even available on the PC yet despite a lot of them having phsyx which is far and above havok.

Edited by Dirtbox at 20:08:01 22-02-2013

• kalel 22 Feb 2013 20:09:08 86,812 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    To be fair all the lamp posts in GTA have been destructible for ages.
  • ResidentKnievel 22 Feb 2013 20:10:15 6,176 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    :[

At least Dragon's Dogma 2 looked promising, assuming it looks half as good as that target render

• quadfather 22 Feb 2013 20:11:56 11,975 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    So what's the general consensus of the ps4 then so far?

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• Aretak 22 Feb 2013 20:12:02 10,350 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    This is all just making me sad that there'll never be a sequel to Red Faction: Guerilla. THQ deserved to die for following it up with Armageddon.
  • Mr-Brett 22 Feb 2013 20:21:57 12,749 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Aretak wrote:
    This is all just making me sad that there'll never be a sequel to Red Faction: Guerilla. THQ deserved to die for following it up with Armageddon.
    Amen brother.

Portable view - Never forget.

• ResidentKnievel 22 Feb 2013 20:25:30 6,176 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I dunno, I have high hopes we'll see one for next, next, next gen

• PenguinJim 23 Feb 2013 01:32:57 5,812 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Aretak wrote:
    That's what I thought, having loved Guerrilla and then played the demo for Armageddon. I was hating on it in forums and giving lectures in various universities about how much Armageddon sucked. But then I ended up with a full copy, and... Armageddon isn't bad. I had fun all the way through! :o

Should've been a $20 spin-off.

And Guerrilla still needs a sequel. :evil:

Incidentally, EDF2017 is a good game for destructible terrain.
  • mal 23 Feb 2013 02:39:46 22,419 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's a shame that Future Tactics was the last game the Pickford Bros. made for consoles AFAIK. That was a good game for destructible everything, so long as everything was 'some hills'.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Deleted user 23 February 2013 02:49:34
    quadfather wrote:
    So what's the general consensus of the ps4 then so far?
    Same as every console release, midrange PC. A bit of lazy design with the whole gddr5 thing though. would be far better off utilising some super fast cache, but it's all about suspend to ram and sharing video.

It's a high-end laptop spec with a bizarre set of ram chips.

EDIT: I'm almost thinking they stuck loads of ram in last minute as the semi-nerd public seem to thunk that's the main thing!?

Edited by CrispyXUK at 02:52:04 23-02-2013
  • Syrette 23 Feb 2013 03:18:00 43,240 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Devs apparently like the RAM a lot too going by their reactions...

• PenguinJim 23 Feb 2013 04:27:09 5,812 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    EDIT: I'm almost thinking they stuck loads of ram in last minute as the semi-nerd public seem to thunk that's the main thing!?
    A friend of mine "discovered" gaming PCs around 2002, and I tried to explain many, many times how 256MB graphics cards weren't (necessarily) twice as fast as 128MB graphics cards. I don't think I ever got through to him.
  • King_Edward 23 Feb 2013 07:42:41 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Carmack likes it, so I'll just assume it's pretty good.
  • FarFromSane 23 Feb 2013 09:52:16 236 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I know i'm going to get a PS4 I just don't know if i'll get it at launch depending on what bundles are available or i'll do what i did with the PS3 and wait a year to get it.

Somewhere out there, a neurotic chicken wants to cross the road but is paralyzed by the knowledge that everyone will question his motives

• OptimusPube 23 Feb 2013 10:04:28 2,924 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Don't know if it has been mentioned yet but all PS4 games will be available as digital download.

It was interesting to see the indie game designer Jonathan Blow on stage at your event. How important is it to you to support smaller studios?
    I believe it's very important for the platform to have a wide variety of developers making things that are unique and creative. We're shifting our platform more and more to the digital side – PS4 will be similar to PS Vita in that every game will be available as a digital download, and some will also be available as a disc. The Witness will be a digital release and because of the flexibility of the digital distribution scheme, we can have more small games that might be free or available for a couple of dollars, or different services like free-to-play or subscription models.
    Source

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC˛

• FarFromSane 23 Feb 2013 10:15:28 236 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I would be suprised to see all of Sony Online Entertainment games on PS4. I can Definitely See DC universe being made available and msybe Planetside 2

Somewhere out there, a neurotic chicken wants to cross the road but is paralyzed by the knowledge that everyone will question his motives

• mcmothercruncher 23 Feb 2013 10:39:59 6,713 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm still interested in these tests- because I quite clearly prefer the Dual Shock controller...
  • liohuffman 23 Feb 2013 20:49:38 25 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Quick question - does anybody think that Sony using the x86 architecture is evidence that they may eventually migrate the entire PS4 library over to regular PCs?

(to make it a competitor to Steam)

It surely wouldn't be that hard to write a thin wrapper that mimics the core LibGCM functions on a PC (on either Windows or Linux)

It'd also save Sony from making colossal losses on selling subsidised hardware

Edited by liohuffman at 20:51:46 23-02-2013
  • sport 23 Feb 2013 21:12:24 12,678 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I can't see Steam lasting much longer under the onslaught of the Sony juggernaut. Valve's share price has already tanked and it won't be long before Gabe begs Hirai for job. Dirtbox knows this, and it scares him, it haunts him...
  • wogsy81 23 Feb 2013 21:14:18 719 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    blacksea wrote:
    M$
    Stopped reading there.

Always a good way to completely devalue any point you're trying to make.
    This this and some more of this.

I read a post on the previous page. It looked like a good post at first glance, nice size, paragraphs etc. Then i seen the M$ in the second line and stopped reading.

I mean seriously, what kind of a 12 year old asshole would actually type that and expect to be taken seriously.
  • mal 23 Feb 2013 21:31:10 22,419 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    liohuffman wrote:
    Quick question - does anybody think that Sony using the x86 architecture is evidence that they may eventually migrate the entire PS4 library over to regular PCs?

(to make it a competitor to Steam)

It surely wouldn't be that hard to write a thin wrapper that mimics the core LibGCM functions on a PC (on either Windows or Linux)
    It's not struck me that just because Sony have decided to use the x86 instruction set for their CPU side stuff, that it would make it significantly easier to port to PC. Your thin wrapper will need to map between calls that map to ATI hardware on to calls that interface with DirectX or OpenGL - and that's just for the graphics stuff. What about all the other work the PS4's GPUs will be doing, handling all sorts of parallelisable tasks such as physics or AI?

Seems to me you'd effectively need to write a form of emulator for all of that, resulting in the performance penalty you get from emulating one system on another quite different one (not having unified memory will require a chunk of work scheduling transfers to full up the GPU RAM in time for starters).

TLDR; Seems to me it should make writing an emulator in the future slightly easier, but a computer is more than a CPU, and it'll be a good few years before we're emulating PS4 on PC.

Edited by mal at 21:33:16 23-02-2013

• liohuffman 23 Feb 2013 23:18:46 25 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @mal I agree with what you're saying, but just a couple of quick points:-

1) I could be wrong, but I thought that Sony demanded that developers access the GPU (on both the PS3 and PS4) via their LibGCM library (or better still, OpenGL) rather than writing to it directly for the reasons of portability / possible emulation in the future?

(I think MS do something similar with the Xbox/DirectX? - Eurogamer article on DirectX / Xbox 360)

2) You're probably right that there's more to emulating the PS4 than simply wrapping LibGCM calls to DX/OpenGL (and that there'd no doubt be some form of overheard involved), but if Sony waited several years then surely the high-end PCs of the time would be more than capable of handling the extra work?

I appreciate that the emulator wouldn't be a straightforward task, but surely Sony's in-house PS2 emulator (on Gaikai/PS4) and Microsoft's Xbox/360 emulator are proof that such tasks are possible?

And the difference this time is that Sony may have planned it from the outset

Edited by liohuffman at 23:20:01 23-02-2013
  • mal 24 Feb 2013 00:30:24 22,419 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Emualting a system's always possible, DRM excluded - that's what makes a computer different to any other machine - it's a general purpose machine. Only question is how difficult it is to reverse engineer the thing (not applicable for Sony/MS), and how much extra power and reduced latency you need to make up for differences in design. To be, if Sony were planning this move, they could have done a lot more to make it easy IMO, but then I didn't know that Sony were testing software to check it only accesses the hardware via their APIs.

I'm also not aware of Sony's PS2 emulator. I'm sure they have one in house, but I didn't think they'd announced anything regarding the PS4. And I've not been following Gaikai at all, but assuming it's anything like Onlive, that's effectively a black box system, and you've no idea what actual hardware is at the other end.

• Page

of 756 First / Last