• Page

of 846 First / Last

• Bremenacht 6 May 2014 14:23:39 19,206 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Furtive_Pygmy wrote:
    markytonline83 wrote:
    The PS4 has a fan in it??
    That's what worries me, mine is so quiet.
    Does it have a vent where the ethernet port should be?
  • Garrie_W1992 6 May 2014 14:30:02 44 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    As a few others have said my PS4 is near silent the majority of the time. Apart from the initial boot up in which it whirs for a couple of second it handles AAA games very well making very little noise.

Had no problems with my PS4 and had it since launch. A brilliant piece of kit.
  • Psiloc 6 May 2014 14:34:13 1,554 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mine is damn near silent until I:

A: Play FFXIV for a few hours - kicks main fan into high gear.
    B: Put in a DVD - the initial spin (which is faster than it spins BRs) is pretty fucking loud.

It's been discussed already but the heat that's flying out of the back of the unit during A is almost frightening. The ventilation must be doing a pretty good job though, you can feel it a good few feet away from the console.
  • Widge Moderator 6 May 2014 14:50:23 13,727 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'll be getting one for winter then!

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• Darren 6 May 2014 15:06:24 9,015 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    karlo87 wrote:
    I hope they patch Child of Light soon, it's the only reason I have to turn my PS4 on but i'm not risking a corrupted save file
    Just back up your save file to a USB memory stick then, which you can even do while you're playing the game (when it is not saving, obviously).

That's what I do for all my games, though I do it after I've exited them. I would recommend that everyone this if they want to ensure they don't lose any game progress. There's also the cloud back up as well but that is automatic and usually done overnight if you leave the console in standby mode. Alas for me I've hit the 1 GB size cloud save limit so those are no longer backed up.

Edited by Darren at 15:06:42 06-05-2014

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 4 GB EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 SC, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• Bulbatron 6 May 2014 15:49:52 844 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I was using a USB memory stick to back up my save data, but then I found the PS4 wouldn't run DVDs or blu-rays while the device was inserted.

Wow - what a mansion!

• Darren 6 May 2014 16:19:05 9,015 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bulbatron wrote:
    I was using a USB memory stick to back up my save data, but then I found the PS4 wouldn't run DVDs or blu-rays while the device was inserted.
    Weird...I haven't noticed this issue myself and I leave my USB stick in all the time (I'm using a 16 GB SanDisk Micro Cruzer stick).

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 4 GB EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 SC, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• Darren 6 May 2014 16:23:16 9,015 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Garrie_W1992 wrote:
    As a few others have said my PS4 is near silent the majority of the time. Apart from the initial boot up in which it whirs for a couple of second it handles AAA games very well making very little noise.

Had no problems with my PS4 and had it since launch. A brilliant piece of kit.
    My PS4 is very quiet too as is my Xbox One for that matter. The only time I've heard anything from either is when I'm installing a game from disc but since you only have to do that once then it is not an issue. I do occasionally hear quiet clicking noise from my PS4 every now and again, usually when I'm looking at photos so that might be the hard drive.

Anyone else annoyed that the PS4 doesn't autorun a game when you insert the BD post-install? I mean if I put the disc in the PS4 after I've installed then it is obviously because I want to play it so surely it should start loading? Even the Xbox One, which has an interface that is a mess IMO compared to the PS4, manages to do that!

• Derblington 6 May 2014 16:31:36 22,070 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I have none of my devices set to auto-play. So, no.
  • SomaticSense 6 May 2014 16:33:32 8,945 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Personally I wouldn't want an autorun function.

There should be an option for it, definitely, but I would far from happy if my PS4 started autorunning discs the moment I popped them in.
  • Bowzer43 6 May 2014 18:09:43 498 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I turned my auto run feature off on my 360 and would do the same on my PS4. The ps4 UI is fast enough to fire up a game within seconds of popping a disc in.
  • FuzzyDuck 6 May 2014 18:24:21 4,666 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Darren wrote:
    Anyone else annoyed that the PS4 doesn't autorun a game when you insert the BD post-install? I mean if I put the disc in the PS4 after I've installed then it is obviously because I want to play it so surely it should start loading? Even the Xbox One, which has an interface that is a mess IMO compared to the PS4, manages to do that!
    Genuine question - have you ever been happy with a device or do you find fault with literally everything?
  • quadfather 6 May 2014 18:27:46 13,136 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I have to say the level of criticism is amazing nowadays. I'm not picking a fight with anyone, but it's moved on since the days of the speccy. I'm still pleasantly surprised that games run and don't crash :)

I was reading a review the other day and the reviewer knocked the score down because the plot was "slightly unrealistic"

I know we've moved on etc but come on - slightly unrealistic plot ffs?!

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• Maturin 6 May 2014 18:30:26 3,147 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Imagine if you had a 50/50 chance of "R tape loading error" every time you fired up a next-gen game.

Edited by Maturin at 18:30:36 06-05-2014
  • TheMayorOfJugs 6 May 2014 18:32:17 4,250 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    First world complaints make me laugh so much :D

'The ps4 only pushes the game icon for the disc I insert to the front of the cue, so I still have to press x to start it!' Come on Darren, that's silly :D
  • quadfather 6 May 2014 18:32:53 13,136 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Maturin Yeah - that's what i mean though - those types of stability improvements are the ones I applaud.

Nitpicking on one pixel that wasn't slightly the right colour as the rest of the environment is taking it a bit too far imo

Edited by quadfather at 18:33:19 06-05-2014

• SomaticSense 6 May 2014 18:50:03 8,945 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Maturin wrote:
    Imagine if you had a 50/50 chance of "R tape loading error" every time you fired up a next-gen game.
    The Speccy, with it's 30 minute loading for something as simple as Robotron (may have been less, I was young and impatient...), and then subsequent failure to launch at all. Cue another labourious attempt. And that screeching!

Then there's the PS4 with it's 'Press X To Start' annoyances. Technology has certainly moved on fast :)
  • CompetitiveDad 6 May 2014 20:11:04 2,694 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    Darren wrote:
    Genuine question - have you ever been happy with a device or do you find fault with literally everything?
    Don't get him started.
  • CompetitiveDad 6 May 2014 20:13:56 2,694 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Maturin wrote:
    Getting a game to eventually load on the C64 after 20 try's was as satisfying as playing the game sometimes!!

Edited by CompetitiveDad at 20:15:54 06-05-2014
  • markytonline83 6 May 2014 20:40:51 178 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I find that a lot (BUT NOT ALL) of the people who complain about loud fan noises normally smoke 20-a-day, or have a dog that sleeps on top of the console.

Somebody suggested that people's definition of loud varies which I agree with. But I have hearing like a bloody dog. My PS4 is quite

PSN - markytonline83
    Vita, PS3 and PS4

• Flying_Pig 6 May 2014 20:43:15 11,315 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @markytonline83 quite what? I need to know!
  • Ror1984 6 May 2014 20:50:08 4,048 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    markytonline83 wrote:
    I find that a lot (BUT NOT ALL) of the people who complain about loud fan noises normally smoke 20-a-day, or have a dog that sleeps on top of the console.

Somebody suggested that people's definition of loud varies which I agree with. But I have hearing like a bloody dog. My PS4 is quite
    Well, it's just as well you put that part in, I suppose.

FFXIV: ARR - Khroma Midgard, Odin.

• ChiefGB 6 May 2014 20:54:58 1,057 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Tbf my ps4 isn't the quietest of beasts, is quieter than my prev gen 360s/superslim ps3 though but definitely much louder than my xb1.
  • mrpon 6 May 2014 21:02:57 29,388 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    As Kirsty Alsopp once said, location, location, location.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• quadfather 6 May 2014 21:34:15 13,136 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    CompetitiveDad wrote:
    Maturin wrote:
    Getting a game to eventually load on the C64 after 20 try's was as satisfying as playing the game sometimes!!
    Without wanting to get into some existential bollocks, I think this has contributed to the fun over the years. I had this weird ocd on my speccy where as a game was in its final loading sequence, I'd fiddle with the power supply to make sure it was connected OK. And 50% of the time, me doing this would reset the power and I'd just sit there and cry. Along with the times when mikrogen brought out the fast loader. I remember trying to load the witches cauldron and having this problem.

I know it's mad to do it but now that I have I can't n help loving it when they just simply work

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm a nutter

But I bet I'm not the only one

Edited by quadfather at 21:35:30 06-05-2014

• mcmothercruncher 6 May 2014 22:49:02 7,471 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I had one of those "fancy" tape machines with multiple audio plug types and, yes, even bass and tone controls.
    Any time I actually got a game to load I'd obsessively note down all of the settings.
    I had a dedicated bloody note pad chock full of "game x, phono 1, tone 5, bass 3, volume 7..." scribblings in the end.
  • ChiefGB 6 May 2014 22:56:14 1,057 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Lol it was acceptable in the 80's as Calvin Harris once wisely sung
  • Armoured_Bear 6 May 2014 23:14:52 11,642 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    markytonline83 wrote:

Ahhh, Blackpool.
    It all makes sense now.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• quadfather 6 May 2014 23:17:30 13,136 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    mcmothercruncher wrote:
    I had one of those "fancy" tape machines with multiple audio plug types and, yes, even bass and tone controls.
    Any time I actually got a game to load I'd obsessively note down all of the settings.
    I had a dedicated bloody note pad chock full of "game x, phono 1, tone 5, bass 3, volume 7..." scribblings in the end.
    Glad to see I wasn't the only one :)

Great days

• markytonline83 6 May 2014 23:25:21 178 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    markytonline83 wrote:

Ahhh, Blackpool.
    It all makes sense now.
    Lol.
    Blackpool has it's good parts and bad parts. Like every town and city in the country. I obviously live in the nice part due to my PS4 not sounding like its coughing it's lungs up :)

PSN - markytonline83
    Vita, PS3 and PS4

• Page

of 846 First / Last