Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention (PS Vita) Page 7

• Page

of 8 First / Last

• santashi 1 May 2012 17:42:36 5,167 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @PazJohnMitch What was it that looked unattainable? And do you mean you parked the PS3 version back in the day or that you've parked the Vita one for now? Just want to check to make sure we're talking about the same thing. :)

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• PazJohnMitch 1 May 2012 20:54:59 8,615 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    santashi wrote:
    @PazJohnMitch What was it that looked unattainable? And do you mean you parked the PS3 version back in the day or that you've parked the Vita one for now? Just want to check to make sure we're talking about the same thing. :)
    I parked the PS3 one. I am considering buying the Vita version though but I do not want to fall at the same hurdle.

I assume that there is some DLC pitched at a level to move onto straight away post the main story? The post game levels I found included on the disc all looked somewhat out of reach.

Also is there a Dark World like Disgaea 2?

I still have the PS3 version. So if I am been dense and missed the glaringly obvious I can continue with that one.
  • santashi 2 May 2012 09:42:38 5,167 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The first thing I did after beating the main story was fight Adel and recruit him to my party and then the same with Rosalin. They're both level 100 which shouldn't be much of a problem since you already took down the main story final boss. You can then go to the class world, warp back to the beginning (getting Prinny Mask in the process), try alternate versions (don't want to spoil it if you don't know about it but think Etna/Axel modes) and pass bills to get extra levels.

A lot of the post game content like extra characters and some scenarios was DLC on the PS3 version so you could play it on that version if you pay for it. I played it on my mate's PS3 (and his copy of the game) before I had one of my own so I never really got to do the post game stuff before.

• PazJohnMitch 2 May 2012 10:07:32 8,615 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thanks.

I did some of what you said but the very first bit sounds like DLC to me. Although I might just have missed it.
  • santashi 2 May 2012 10:31:45 5,167 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yep, pretty sure that was DLC originally. The DLC is fairly pricey as well, if I remember rightly.

• PazJohnMitch 2 May 2012 10:37:18 8,615 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah the whole lot was about 50 which is ridiculous. This is essentially why I am considering the Vita version.
  • santashi 2 May 2012 10:47:29 5,167 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I think they had it on sale once for 20 but that was before I owned a PS3.

I'm always willing to rebuy a Disgaea game when it becomes portable simply because it's a great game to play on the go, but the extra content is a definite plus, too.

I have a train ride up to Edinburgh and back in a few weeks which is just perfect for some item world-ing. :D

• PazJohnMitch 2 May 2012 10:53:31 8,615 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I have a business trip to China next month. So I am likely to buy it for that.

No who am I kidding. I will buy it.
  • hypoBla5t 2 May 2012 17:47:51 1,514 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Quick unrelated Q:

Does D4 have the item world as well? It looks pretty awesome and you guys are making me wanna whip off the shrink wrap and get started.

So to speak.
  • santashi 2 May 2012 18:57:22 5,167 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @PazJohnMitch Wow, that's pretty amazing! Do you get to sightsee while you're there or purely business? And yes, totally appropriate for that. ;)

@hypoBla5t Yep, all Disgaea games have the item world of joy and goodness.

• PazJohnMitch 2 May 2012 20:29:10 8,615 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @santashi Seldom get to sightsee as it is pretty much just business. A few years ago I got to spend a weekend in Shang Hai. That was good but it was Christmas and I was missing home so did not appreciate it.

I have been through Beijing about 10 times but so far have only seen the forbidden city. The longest I have ever spent there is 16 hours.

There is an ancient thread I created which shows me planting a tree during one of the trips. Front page of the local newspaper.

The next trip will be 2 weeks but I will return again in September for 4 months. (So another Christmas there).

Spent the whole flight playing Everyone's Golf last time I went to China.
  • PrivateFloyd 3 May 2012 13:05:28 4,187 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Back in stock at shopto for 29.86....

may just take the plunge at that price.

Goat is hungry.....

• PazJohnMitch 3 May 2012 13:30:01 8,615 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Had a look for it on the zavvi website and found the Disgaea 4 (PS3) is only 15. It is also in their 2 for 25 sale.
  • JayG 3 May 2012 14:05:31 869 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Picked it up today, and it looks fairly insane. Should keep me going untill FF X.
  • bef 3 May 2012 15:07:56 1,642 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've asked these things before and probably know what you're going to answer, but I can't help myself so here I go again:

I really like Advance Wars. The contained world in which you decide what happens, the fact that it is turn based so no real time stress, the excellent layout of the stats etc. etc. But still, that series could get a bit complicated for me. I'm no strategic mastermind. I just like the actions needed in srpg's.

So... Will Disgaea be hell? I've read that it isn't easy for newbies to get to grips with the basics. Is this because the lingo is vague, the interface sucks or is it difficult because the elements of the game are so unique that you don't instantly recognize what's being asked of you because it's different from genre conventions?

So you might wonder why I would want to play a genre I find difficult? Well, it's the same with 2d fighters: I'm nog good but I really like the gameplay sensation it gives me.

Ehrm. Right.

edit: to give an example, I recently downloaded Tactics Ogre but man that interface is confusing. So much that it keeps me from persevering...

I've done it again.

Edited by bef at 15:09:07 03-05-2012
  • PazJohnMitch 3 May 2012 17:07:04 8,615 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Tactically wise Disgaea is much easier than Advance Wars. This is because you can over level your characters if you wish. So unlike Advance Wars you can win with brute force instead of tactics.

On the flipside Disgaea has far, far more options. This means you can go the opposite route and use tactics to beat up enemies that should be too strong for you.

I tend to flip between these two extremes.

You do not need to do all that Disgaea has to offer. The gameplay is fairly simple but it has a lot of depth. This depth is generally quite abstract which is why it sounds complicated. (But it isn't really as there is a logic to everything. Just not always conventional logic).

Disgaea is also a game set in the Underworld where cheating is expected. This means the game allows you to do many things which pure tactics games would consider cheating. In fact it actively encourages you to bend as many of the conventional rules as possible.

Disgaea and Advance Wars are my two favourite franchises but for entirely different reasons. I love the tight tactics in AW but I also love Disgaea's craziness and complete disregard for those very same 'rules'.
  • JayG 3 May 2012 18:07:01 869 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've never played any of these games before, but a lot of tutorials to help at the beginning. It's a little crazy, but in a good way.
  • bef 3 May 2012 18:22:59 1,642 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Excellent feedback, thanks. So it isn't just me who considers AW taxing at times. And your description of Disgaea is one I haven't read in any of the reviews, so new insights!
  • JayG 3 May 2012 18:25:30 869 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It is very entertaining. I brought Ogre Tactics couple of weeks ago and couldn't get into it, but this is a lot more welcoming. It's been years since I played any turn based games, I think the last ones were the Age of Wonders series.
  • bef 3 May 2012 21:13:42 1,642 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @paz, last question: if I'm going to dip my toes into this, is the vita version a better entry point or should I go for number 2, the psp version that is available on psn and is ten euro cheaper?
  • PazJohnMitch 3 May 2012 21:21:13 8,615 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @bef

In my view:
    Disgaea > Disgaea 3 >> Disgaea 2
    (Not played Disgaea 4 yet).

So I would start with Afternoon of Darkness myself.
  • bef 4 May 2012 13:06:23 1,642 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @PazJohnMitch Check!
  • PazJohnMitch 4 May 2012 13:35:48 8,615 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Is the first one not available then?
  • santashi 4 May 2012 14:01:54 5,167 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @PazJohnMitch Gosh, four months sounds more like a business move than a business trip. And that's such a shame it's over Christmas!

Also, since you were asking about post game content, I tried the first X-dimension level (read Dark World) last night. Made it through fine with no casualties but it was one of those ones where you have to go on a long set path to reach the end and took ages. Great rewards though! There's also a survival mode where you do random dungeons like the item world but with no equipment and a random selection of items. Turned out my guys don't do all that well without equipment. :D Apparently you can also get the new extra story levels straight after the tutorials by doing some nifty button pressing at the start screen.

I think my order of Disgaea preference for storyline and characters is 1/4 (probably 4 but have nostalgia points for 1), 3, 2 but they tend to get better as they go along on terms of offering more and more content.

• Progguitarist 4 May 2012 17:03:43 10,507 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is this the same as the ps3 game?
  • santashi 4 May 2012 17:55:39 5,167 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Progguitarist wrote:
    Is this the same as the ps3 game?
    Same game with all the DLC plus some extra content.

• RyanDS 14 May 2012 19:02:46 9,726 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Meh. Downloaded this and wasn't impressed. Overly long cut scenes, an incredibly obtuse battle system with so many variables that I genuinely don't have the slightest clue what is going on. Not to mention the fact the angle of view means 2/3rds of the stuff is hidden half the time.

So why the fuck am I twenty hours in already? It is insane. I am scraping through battles (with a fair bit of grinding) and loving every second. I just about grasp the coloured tile thingy, and have had loads of success mainly thanks to switching colours, but the rest is just bizarre!

Things I don't get:
    Weapons*
    Item leveling*
    Home Room*
    Detention Room (never figured out what is in there)
    Evility*
    Voting
    Why every cut scene lasts 45 minutes...
    What the hell the plot means
    When I die in item world it says game over yet I seem to retain everything I got in it?
    Throwing*

Stuff marked * I kind of get, but in practice just can't use.

Yet somehow amongst the mess and the fact that I have no idea of even the basics it is awesomely addictive, and seems to have that amazing balance of being incredibly obtuse and micro-managing yet also let you just play with the basics and still win. (Just not win awesomely)

Halfway through chapter 5 now after 20 hours and have had two nights in a row of suddenly realising that it is 3am and my wife is moaning "turn that fucking game off and sleep!"
  • PazJohnMitch 20 May 2012 20:25:30 8,615 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Downloaded the Vita version this afternoon.

The smaller screen certainly improves the graphics, the Trophies have been rejigged and I think the encylopedia is a new edition.

It also looks like the EXP boosting has been changed by the new Honour Quotient.
  • santashi 20 May 2012 21:13:44 5,167 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yay, glad you've got it. :)

Talking of Trophies, any idea what the PE teacher one is? I don't remember it from the original although maybe I just didn't get it first time round.

• PazJohnMitch 20 May 2012 21:20:43 8,615 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    santashi wrote:
    Yay, glad you've got it. :)

Talking of Trophies, any idea what the PE teacher one is? I don't remember it from the original although maybe I just didn't get it first time round.
    Only just finished chapter 1.

On the original version the vast majority of the trophies were for killing various pirates.

There were no story ones in the PS3 game for instance.
  • Page

of 8 First / Last