• Murbs 25 Apr 2012 12:42:46 22,579 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @santashi you can touch him too.
  • santashi 25 Apr 2012 12:48:36 5,167 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah, I thought it was rather fun. Pointless but fun. :D

Talking of touching characters, I've occasionally accidently thrown one of the hub residents across the map when brushing dust off the screen. I do quite like the rear flick for the map though.

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• Darren 26 Apr 2012 12:38:14 9,076 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    andywilkie35 wrote:
    jasondonervan wrote:
    ShopTo have really screwed me over on this. I ordered it on Friday morning, with plenty of time before it went out of stock, and yet here we are today and it still hasn't arrived. I'll spare you the vague excuses of their livechat support, but has anyone else received a copy from ST?
    Yep, got mine the Tuesday before release. Best online retailer by an absolute mile.
    I got my copy, sent out last Tuesday, the next day on Wednesday. I use ShopTo.net for all my game pre-orders now as they have proven to be very reliable plus being a Gold Member I get around £1.50 off every game order! It's doesn't sound like much but it all adds up. :)

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 4 GB EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 SC, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• RetroGam3r 26 Apr 2012 20:08:22 52 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Im so close to buying this game thru the store.Im a bit worried though as I have never played one of these games before.I want a good solid game where I can explore,level up and plow loads of hours into it.

Would this suit my needs?Or is it hardcore and just a big grind?
    Any help appreciated.
  • PazJohnMitch 26 Apr 2012 20:32:31 8,724 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    RetroGam3r wrote:
    Im so close to buying this game thru the store.Im a bit worried though as I have never played one of these games before.I want a good solid game where I can explore,level up and plow loads of hours into it.

Would this suit my needs?Or is it hardcore and just a big grind?
    Any help appreciated.
    If the only thing you do is the main quest then there is not much grinding at all. I did the PS3 version in a little over 30 hours but I was aware of the tricks to power level after playing the first two extensively.

The original game took me 90+ hours for the first pass of the story and the 2nd game around 50 hours. I think the reduction in time is purely due to understanding them better. (I also played the first completely blind and had to learn everything for myself).

Post game there is still a lot of things to do. I however struggled a bit on this one as there did not really seem to be anything accessible initially post game. There were things available but nothing much for a level 100 character. (So at that point I think you need to grind? Unlike the other two.)

The games are really easy to lose hours playing without realising. The only thing that you may complain about is the lack of any real exploration as it is a tactics game and not a roleplayer.

As Santashi said before Disgaea is a true desert island game.
  • RetroGam3r 26 Apr 2012 21:58:00 52 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Thanks for the response PazJohnMitch,I think I may well bite the bullet as it were.I see I should easily get a fair few hours out of it which is want I want.

Thanks again.
  • Deleted user 26 April 2012 22:31:31
    Exact same boat as me, it's a game I feel I should buy through the store despite there being better games I want to play. It just seems like a good store game to always have on the memory card.
  • RetroGam3r 27 Apr 2012 17:09:21 52 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Im so glad I took the plunge, This is a great game.Ive done the tutorials and first boss I think he was?I still dont have the fighting down where I can assign group attacks etc.

Is there a good wiki to use for reference to save clogging up this place?A quick google shows a very basic looking site.I need to learn about how the bonus system works to maximize end of level bonuses, And also see what/how I use these things ive unlocked.Crafted I think was mentioned.

For the time being il just keep going until I get stuck.
  • santashi 27 Apr 2012 17:15:57 5,167 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Geopanel destruction is the key to racking up the bonuses. You'll get some in game tutorials about them a little later on.

I have no idea if there's a good website, actually. I've never looked for one. But feel free to spam us with questions! There have been good points made by people already, too, so it's worth scrolling back through the thread.

• PazJohnMitch 27 Apr 2012 19:29:48 8,724 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    gamefaqs has a lot of info but it is usually about the really complicated stuff that you will probably never care about.

There are some useful equations about stealing hand probabilities for instance...

Feel free to ask loads of questions here.
  • consignia 27 Apr 2012 20:14:24 1,433 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm on to the third chapter, and I'm finding throwing is becoming key. Either to get your mages in and out of harms way, or to get long range enemies into clobbering time.

How long does it take to get to the coveted level 9999? The rate I'm going I'd spend millennia getting there, Mao's only just hit level 20.
  • santashi 27 Apr 2012 20:28:52 5,167 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Haha, it's not quick. Item world is the best place for pushing up levels by pushing your luck. Go so far into an item that it is beyond your comfort zone. Gang up on enemies much stronger than you, throw all your special attacks at them (no counter) and the one to take them down will get all the EXP. Take a Geo Master along on the offchance he can generate some bonus EXP panels.

The fun thing about Disgaea games is

• PazJohnMitch 27 Apr 2012 20:47:14 8,724 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @consignia
    On the first game there were Statistitians that let you earn extra EXP.
    On the second game there were felonies that did the same thing.
    Not sure what the third game version was. I think there were statistitians again but I never saw one. (You may need to create them with Mediators).

With a level 300 statistion equipped to a very powerful sword on the first game and a certain map I could reach level 1000 in just over a minute. (Of course it took about 200 hours to get to that point).

I am sure something similar can be achieved on this one but I never got that far. I finished the story at around lvl 100 in 30ish hours.
  • RetroGam3r 27 Apr 2012 20:57:36 52 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I seem to get stuck then retry it and do it.It always comes down to my last 2 people..... every time. I'm on chapter 2, and i still feel under powered.I cant find any decent armor or weapons. I've not done any grinding maybe i should?

I cant put the game down,It kicks my ass and I still come back for more.I land up learning something new so im getting there.
  • santashi 27 Apr 2012 23:12:57 5,167 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    If you're struggling try the item world for grinding. Also good for getting snazzy new weapons as there are chests galore and can be nice bonuses. I know I keep going on about it but it's often better than going back to previously completed levels. ;)

Glad you're enjoying it so much, anyway! One of my favourite ever gaming series.

• RetroGam3r 28 Apr 2012 10:28:34 52 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Thankyou,Ive got to look up how to get in the item world.At the moment the woman says the world its currently under adjustment.
    Im in a different hub world at the moment and cant see a way to get back to the first one?

Edit:Seems I must first conquer patience in order to unlock the secrets.I did a level and now the item world is open and im back at the main hub.

Edited by RetroGam3r at 11:04:17 28-04-2012
  • neilqpr 28 Apr 2012 13:27:46 2,865 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Quick question about magichange - does the monster have to be above a certain level?

According to the tutorial all I have to do is have a character next to a monster and then select magichange in the monsters menu. However my lvl 6 monster always has the magichange option greyed out.
  • Murbs 28 Apr 2012 13:32:33 22,579 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I get to magic change but never get a special attack option...
  • Murbs 28 Apr 2012 13:32:36 22,579 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I get to magic change but never get a special attack option...
  • consignia 28 Apr 2012 14:58:44 1,433 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    neilqpr wrote:
    Quick question about magichange - does the monster have to be above a certain level?
    No, I don't think so, but they do have to be in the same school club.
  • neilqpr 28 Apr 2012 18:45:53 2,865 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thanks, adding him to the school club did the trick!
  • santashi 1 May 2012 15:32:32 5,167 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    There we go, main story finished. :D I do wish you could unlock the credits images as Vita wallpaper (mainly the first atmospheric one of Mao, but the wedding dress is pretty cute really).

On a side note I also got to hear my favourite line in the game.

• neems 1 May 2012 15:46:11 1,452 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Can you not just take a screenshot? Or is it covered in writing?

I hope they release a demo for this, I have absolutely no idea whether I would enjoy it.
  • santashi 1 May 2012 15:53:11 5,167 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The pictures are small, taking up half the screen, while the credits scroll over the other half. Wouldn't be much point screenshotting them, at least in my opinion. I want pretty full screen optimised images. :D

Almost certain that there will never be a demo, though, unfortunately.

• PazJohnMitch 1 May 2012 16:16:35 8,724 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Good work Santashi. Do you know what to do next? (I don't know what to aim for once the story is done).
  • santashi 1 May 2012 16:23:15 5,167 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Thanks! It's only the main story that I've finished though so I've got the epilogue next. :p

There is also what used to be DLC on the PS3 version and a certain other mode to get through too, and then I might do some serious item world work and see if that nabs me any trophies.

• Murbs 1 May 2012 16:25:52 22,579 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @santashi is the line good enough to compete with Laharl ribbing Etna for being flat-chested? :D
  • santashi 1 May 2012 16:31:44 5,167 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Heh, it's more the fourth-wall-breaking nature of it.

*about to transform into final boss form*...but first I'll let you save your game.

And then you have Almaz pondering why he did that when he could have beaten them easily if he hadn't let them. Makes me chuckle, anyway.

• Rens11 1 May 2012 16:33:25 1,464 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @neems

Maybe try the 1st disgaea game think its 7quid on the pan store

Don’t kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he’d eat you and everyone you care about!

• PazJohnMitch 1 May 2012 16:53:41 8,724 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @santashi

Other mode? I think this might be what I was missing!

Everything just looked unobtainable to me. I did some character world stuff and then parked it. (Possibly never to return).
  • Page

of 8 First / Last