HTC One X Page 2

• Page

of 6 First / Last

• Dougs 30 Mar 2012 22:26:02 66,648 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've got an S2 and as long as you're vaguely familiar with how quirky PCs can be (as it does some odd things that might worry technophobes), there shouldn't be an issue. I love it.
  • pauleyc 30 Mar 2012 22:26:13 4,444 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:

Hmmm. The bit around 14mins of that video is what really worries me about switching to android. And what's with that Loading message every time you go to the home screen? It's the home screen!
    That looks rather like a HTC Sense crash, definitely not standard Android behaviour (no matter what mowgli might claim, it's his usual trolling). FWIW, I seem to remember MWC reports about Sense feeling unfinished and rather unpolished on the One phones.
  • THFourteen 30 Mar 2012 22:29:25 32,857 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Maybe I'll put stock ICS on it

I'm not really sure how much of the phones features are tied into the software and how much into the hardware which is my only worry about that.

Seen a review of a stock ics build for a htc sensation which says Bluetooth doesn't work. That just won't wash with me.
  • Deleted user 30 March 2012 22:32:47
    Boab wrote:
    Its one thing to genuniely want something different in your mobiles but its another to dive in swearing away and writing off an entire section of the market based on anecdotal experiences.
    Writing off an entire section of the market? Where the hell did I say that. Clearly being overly sensitive at the slightest criticism.

Anyway, think this looks very interesting. Bored of iOS and WP is going nowhere fast. And fact remains that I barely play games on it anymore anyway so shouldn't feel like I'm missing out. There is also the fact that my 4s is dropping in value fast on recycle websites.
  • mrpon 30 Mar 2012 22:48:07 28,429 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'll echo what Dougs says, love my S2. Best phone I've owned. Overheard the chap at work trying to get tethering turned on his iPhone. I chuckled to myself.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Dougs 30 Mar 2012 23:14:41 66,648 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    And I don't know what the app store looks like these days, but apps like Tune In radio are incredibly awesome. It's just much more flexible. Still can be a pain in the arse mind you
  • THFourteen 2 Apr 2012 08:54:47 32,857 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    http://m.engadget.com/default/article.do?artUrl=http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/02/htc-one-x-review/&category=classic&postPage=1

http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/HTC-One-X-Review_id2993/page/4

http://mobile.theverge.com/2012/4/2/2919202/htc-one-x-review
  • THFourteen 2 Apr 2012 08:55:18 32,857 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Looks like fairly reasonable reviews. but my note is arriving today...

hmmm.
  • Deleted user 2 April 2012 12:42:55
    This close to ordering a Note it is unreal. It is a straight swap for my iPhone but the size is worrying me!
  • mrpon 2 Apr 2012 12:46:48 28,429 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It'll look fine next to your noggin mow.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• THFourteen 2 Apr 2012 12:55:53 32,857 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-one-x-review

the gizmodo review is especially good (cant be arsed to link it) and they never like anything.

gah, dunno what to do. wherels my bleeding note anyway, stupid HDNL people.
  • Deleted user 2 April 2012 13:01:19
    Fuck off mrpon.

Th14, the one x is absolutely nothing special so if you have decided to go with the novelty of the large screen over ANOTHER standard android phone there shouldn't be any regrets
  • THFourteen 2 Apr 2012 13:24:20 32,857 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hmmmm... the one x does look special though. All the good bits of android put together.

What i'm most worried about in the Note is the lack of the Tegra 3, no apt-x (well i've lived without it for a year i guess i can go a bit longer), and obviously the size (but i'll like it or hate it so thats not a consideration for trying it out).

its the Tegra 3 thats getting me... buying something with last years technology in it is just so... ALIEN to me.
  • Deleted user 2 April 2012 20:37:44
    Come on 14, impressions! Put off buying the Note as I was waiting for your impressions.
  • THFourteen 2 Apr 2012 20:54:35 32,857 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Heh

Still struggling with Android tbh, it will take a lot of getting used to.

I hate the touchwiz thing, i miss the autocorrect typing on iphobe. It comes with a tonne of apps i dont think i want. The default mail client is rubbish cmpared to iphone.

But all these problems im sure can be fixed! The screen is amazing! Its not too big for my pockets. Surfing bbc news is.ace, its not retina but its dam bloody close

The handwriting recognition is a miss thoit recognises odd words if you write carefully and does a lot better with longer words

funny enough I wrote this with the stylusso maybeit just needs PRACTICE
  • THFourteen 2 Apr 2012 20:56:10 32,857 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh and i think the reports of rubbish audio quality on this and the galaxy 2, may be true.

I have bluetooth headphobes though so will bypass the DAC

A lot of negative above but tbh i really like this so far
  • Dougs 2 Apr 2012 21:22:56 66,648 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You using Swype? Takes a while to get the hang of it but i'm used to it now. Can't you use the gmail app too?

What I've discovered about Android is that if you don't like the stock apps, there will be one that you will like, usually free too.
  • Dougs 2 Apr 2012 21:24:20 66,648 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh, and can't say I've noticed the audio quality being poor on the s2. But I am half deaf and listen to crap rips, so that never bothers me
  • THFourteen 2 Apr 2012 21:27:49 32,857 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Swype?!

Gads no. Just found out how to switch on the dictionary which will help. Plus predictive.text.

Found a iphone keyboard app already i might get :)
  • Dougs 2 Apr 2012 21:42:48 66,648 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My real problem with the keyboard of the space bar. Way too small!
  • Dougs 2 Apr 2012 21:47:45 66,648 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anyway, we really should take this to another thread. Not being about the HTC and all
  • DodgyPast 3 Apr 2012 02:41:18 8,414 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Look into the Swift X keyboard. Predicts your next word as well.

Most of the time unfortunately I'm on multiling because I need access to a Thai keyboard.

Ignore touchwiz and just live with it until you can go ics and Apex.
  • Rens11 3 Apr 2012 21:24:10 1,385 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Got a htc one x coming tomorrow to replace my xperia play which I luv but find it hard to type on and it does crash more often than my old htc. Since getting a vita I rarely use the play for emulation anyway

Edited by Rens11 at 21:39:00 03-04-2012

Dont kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, hed eat you and everyone you care about!

• THFourteen 4 Apr 2012 08:46:58 32,857 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    it looks like a fantastic phone tbh, all the reviews are gushing, and people on xda are starting to get to grips with the battery life, apparently some reviewers were given new firmware halfway through the review process which vastly improved the battery life hence the mixed reviews.

the only down sides i can work out are no sd card, no removable battery, questionable battery life and the camera lens is prone to being scratched as it protrudes.

the camera is also said to be as good as most camera phones, but not a compact camera replacement as HTC have been touting, which is fine for me as i have a compact camera.

if i hadn't chosen to go with the note, i'd get one tomorrow! looking forward to your feedback.
  • Rens11 4 Apr 2012 09:13:38 1,385 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @THFourteen

Yeah not sure whether to root it and all that business did it with the original desire but not the desire hd get nervous doing it as had an issue with it not finish! Hopefully stock sense 4 is decent

Dont kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, hed eat you and everyone you care about!

• DodgyPast 4 Apr 2012 10:24:17 8,414 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rens11 wrote:
    @THFourteen

Yeah not sure whether to root it and all that business did it with the original desire but not the desire hd get nervous doing it as had an issue with it not finish! Hopefully stock sense 4 is decent
    Reviews have been positive, saying it's been toned down from 3.5
  • Rens11 4 Apr 2012 10:54:58 1,385 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The phone has just arrived the box it comes in looks cheap white and plain. Phone is lighter than I expected about the same width as desire hd but seems much longer!

• Rens11 4 Apr 2012 14:46:54 1,385 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ok typing this on the HTC now downloaded a 6mb tutorial that shows you how to use everything lots of handy features such as turning flash on or off in the internet menu forcing websites to display desktop versions. Camera is really good for an 8mega pixel lots of different settings can take 100s of photos in 1 go. Phone is smooth just working my way through the tutorial still getting used to the size its very long but that's not a bad thing. Websites load quickly and YouTube videos look better than I've seen on any phone
    Phone feels a little warm around the top third so could be handy in this cold spell!

Edited by Rens11 at 14:48:51 04-04-2012

• Rens11 11 Apr 2012 01:24:16 1,385 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Rooted the phone had a play with WiFi kill any other decent rooted apps any1 can recommend?

• THFourteen 11 Apr 2012 08:32:50 32,857 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    the only one i've come accross so far is Titanium Backup which lets you back up all your app data to the sdcard or dropbox.
  • Page

of 6 First / Last