Lake Garda, Bardolino

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • wobbly_Bob 30 Mar 2012 00:14:02 1,714 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Me and the OH just booked a trip to lake Garda, Italy. We are based in Bardolino. Anybody been? Any suggestions/recomendations? :-)

ps: first time in Italy.

/excited!
  • TheSaint 30 Mar 2012 01:17:05 14,292 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I stayed in Sirmione when at a wedding there last year. It's a walled town on a headland at the south of the lake and well worth a visit.

The rest of my family also rave about Torri del Benaco but I haven't been to that part of the lake.

If you fancy a day trip away from the lake then Verona and Venice are a short train ride away.
  • reddevil93 30 Mar 2012 01:31:13 11,559 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Stayed at the North end of it in Riva before, really nice area, very relaxing and some nice things to do including day trips to Venice and Verona. Also, a day trip as far as Milan is possible if you look up travel times.

• neilka 30 Mar 2012 01:33:59 15,844 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Go for a swim. In the lake.
  • ElNino9 30 Mar 2012 02:36:41 13,362 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Stunning place. Stayed in Limone which was about 2 minutes from where the opening scene of Quantum of Solace was shot (bit with the Aston in the tunnel).

The lake itself is beautiful and you can cross it anytime for a tiny fee. Also did trips to the Dolomites and Venice, though I'd avoid Venice in the summer... It stinks!

Weather was incredible for the 2 weeks duration, and you get some spectacular thunder and lighting at night in the mountains. Looking at going again this year.

Hated, adored, never ignored.

• wobbly_Bob 30 Mar 2012 10:22:20 1,714 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cheers guys, i'm glad to be reading positive things :-) Might visit Verona? Is that worth the day trip? I can't drive so would have to be public transport.

i will have a search for dolomites.
  • AcidSnake 30 Mar 2012 10:51:04 7,238 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm two lakes over!
    /waves

Verona is definitely worth a trip, Romeo and Juliet after all...

Not sure if you've got kids but there's a large amusement park on Lake Garda too...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• wobbly_Bob 30 Mar 2012 13:11:28 1,714 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    /waves hellooooooo!

No, don't have any kids, but i am a big kid so might check that out, thanks!
  • Tonka 30 Mar 2012 13:19:28 20,202 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Italy is brilliant. Friendly people and great food.
    Haven't been to Verona since I was a kid but I have used local transportation in Italy enough to say that it's good stuff.

Cheap and great views. If you go by train at least. Go for it.
    Eat loads of their icecream. Especially stratchiatella (not sure about the spelling)

Stay away from Nutella pizzas. They're not worth it.

Have a Fiorentine steak if you get the chance, it's WELL worth it.

Ahhhh Italy... fantastic stuff.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Immaterial 30 Mar 2012 18:30:32 1,332 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Did you know that Mussolini spent two years living in Salo and Limone towards the end of world war 2?

Lake Garda is bloody lovely, and you definitely should make the trek to Verona. The only time I've enjoyed opera was in the Roman amphitheatre there- the Italians have a very different approach to cultural events.

Think I'll just switch everything off.

• wobbly_Bob 31 Mar 2012 16:42:19 1,714 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Italy is brilliant. Friendly people and great food.
    Haven't been to Verona since I was a kid but I have used local transportation in Italy enough to say that it's good stuff.

Cheap and great views. If you go by train at least. Go for it.
    Eat loads of their icecream. Especially stratchiatella (not sure about the spelling)

Stay away from Nutella pizzas. They're not worth it.

Have a Fiorentine steak if you get the chance, it's WELL worth it.

Ahhhh Italy... fantastic stuff.
    sounding good. I can't wait :-) Loads of ice cream, oh yeah! Im looking forward to trying Italian iceceam. NUTELLA PIZZA???? I don't care but i have to try that lol
  • wobbly_Bob 31 Mar 2012 16:45:19 1,714 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Immaterial wrote:
    Did you know that Mussolini spent two years living in Salo and Limone towards the end of world war 2?

Lake Garda is bloody lovely, and you definitely should make the trek to Verona. The only time I've enjoyed opera was in the Roman amphitheatre there- the Italians have a very different approach to cultural events.
    Cool info! I didn't know that :-) I will try Verona. I fly into there for lake Garda so can get a good look at it. Would be great to see Romeo & Juliet there. Well, if i could speak Italian, i can't lol
  • pauleyc 31 Mar 2012 18:50:56 4,447 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Plus one on Verona and Venice, well worth a one-day trip each. Monte Baldo near the north end of Garda is also great, the view from up there is breathtaking. I'd also recommend Lake Iseo (roughly on the way to Milan IIRC) and Brescia.

Edit: not to shatter your expectations but that Juliet stuff is way overrated. ;-)

Edited by pauleyc at 18:52:26 31-03-2012
  • wobbly_Bob 31 Mar 2012 22:34:48 1,714 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Don't worry i'm sure there is more than enough to be happy with :-) thanks for the suggestions
  • wobbly_Bob 19 May 2012 13:16:59 1,714 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Only 2 weeks to go! Am excite!

We are thinking of doing some trips. We dont have time/money/desire to do too many and plus we are paying good money to go somewhere beautiful seems a bit silly/shame to pay a good chunk of money to go away from it. That said, would like to see a few things.

I would like to visit a city so the choice is Verona or Venice. Anybody been to both and could recommend one? :) I know venice seems like the no brainer choice but having never been I can't say... Might be overrated. So which one, please :)
  • woodnotes 19 May 2012 14:49:17 4,923 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Lake Garda is phenomenal. My favourite place in the world. Riva is a lovely place to stay at the north of the lake.
  • wobbly_Bob 19 May 2012 14:54:07 1,714 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Good to hear :) can't wait!!! My first time to Italy too.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next