of 7 First / Last

• craigy Staff 13 Apr 2012 19:18:29 7,767 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sadly, two thumbs down from me.
  • mal 13 Apr 2012 20:29:33 22,787 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just watched it. Watchable. Not overly dramatic, and absolutely not very funny (but then comedy dramas rarely are, so I can forgive that), but a well observed little slice of life. Gervais pulled off the mannerisms required pretty well, but I didn't find his act overly convincing for some reason - I suspect that's just me though. I thought Karl's character was a waste of space, and I'd already seen all his decent lines in the trailer.

Also, I could have sworn I saw Nerys Hughes in there, but she's not in the credits.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• M83J01P97 13 Apr 2012 22:33:24 6,699 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What I disliked most about this was the fact that I kept thinking "this would never have been made if it wasn't for Gervais..." as it really wasn't anything funny or interesting or dramatic, so I've no idea what it was meant to be other than another excuse for Gervais to plaster his face all over our screens.

It's actually been hinted at a few times in the past that Merchant is the real talent of the pair when it comes to writing... this certainly proved that point!
  • localnotail 14 Apr 2012 01:15:34 23,093 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Silly Gervais. Everybody knows you never go full retard.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• bladdard 14 Apr 2012 11:01:44 1,009 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    If this was a one off I thought it was excellent, yes the slapstick was cued but the subject matter and the sensitive gentle handling was lovely. I used to work in a pub where a group of mentally challenged people used to come in every Wednesday and they were some of the sweetest most genuine people I've met, I thought Derek portrayed this exceptionally well.
  • TheSaint 17 Apr 2012 09:31:02 14,702 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Did the the sitting on the pudding and the falling in the pond jokes really get included or did I just imagine that?

Gervais has totally lost it IMO. Shows like Parks and Rec have just taken the fake documentary to the next level.
  • TarickStonefire 27 Jan 2013 12:36:14 3,305 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    That Kevin O' Sullivan chap (who I think is a twonk, but anyway) thinks this is one of the greatest shows ever made - touching, sensitive, kind, and a really great autistic characterisation, he reckons.

Doesn't Gervais himself refuses to acknowledge it's anything to do with autism, and that Derek is just 'special'?

There's a guy at my work that whenever this show is mentioned by anyone (usually in a sentence that ends with "... it's utter rubbish" ) gets INCREDIBLY enthusiastic about how AMAAAAZING it is and how Gervais is "literally a saint" for making it and how he's become one of "the greatest living actors, frankly" and how the talent and the writing "is so good it makes me cry" and that "Karl Pilkington is a comedy genius".

None of these things are true (except probably the crying bit, he's a bit like that).

Edited by TarickStonefire at 12:38:39 27-01-2013

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• M83J01P97 27 Jan 2013 12:42:37 6,699 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I really don't get why Channel 4 commissioned a series of this, and the BBC are also doing another series of Life too Short... And Miranda is the highest rated sitcom on British TV of the last 10 years? With Mrs Brown's Boys a close second?

Fuck off the British public. Get some fucking taste.
  • TarickStonefire 27 Jan 2013 12:45:45 3,305 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @M83J01P97 Don't hold your breath...

It seems to be purely that Gervais can do no wrong in the eyes of commissioners. He's a hit in America too so literally *anything* they can get him involved with will be an easy sell abroad.

Methinks the spate of recent godawful Gervais vehicles is not so much about giving us what we allegedly want as it is about guaranteeing overseas sales revenues.

• waggy79 27 Jan 2013 12:52:42 1,060 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The fact that My Family went on for as long as it did (or maybe still is, I don't know) says all you need to know about what 'comedy' the public want.
  • superdelphinus 27 Jan 2013 12:57:49 8,123 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Most people don't like niche, challenging comedy non-shocker
  • TarickStonefire 27 Jan 2013 12:59:21 3,305 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @superdelphinus Are you saying that this is a niche, challenging comedy and that's why people don't like it? Or are you saying that other niche, challenging comedies should get more love than this but they don't for the aforementioned reason?

(coz I'd challenge the whole 'challenging comedy' bit if you're saying the former... ;) )

Edited by TarickStonefire at 12:59:56 27-01-2013

• superdelphinus 27 Jan 2013 13:00:06 8,123 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The latter, obviously!

For what it's worth I quite liked Derek
  • President_Weasel 27 Jan 2013 13:00:55 9,592 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I cannot thole Ricky Gervais. It's a shame because I quite like Karl Pilkington's unique take on things, but then the show cuts back to him and Merchant in an office and Gervais does that stupid high-pitched laugh and I have to watch something else. Life's too Short can fuck off too, and as for a show seemingly based on the premise "Ricky Gervais plays a retard" I think I can do without that, too.
  • M83J01P97 27 Jan 2013 13:01:16 6,699 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    At least the American's seem to 'get' good comedy now a days, even if the real gems are often treated badly.
  • TarickStonefire 27 Jan 2013 13:02:11 3,305 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    President_Weasel wrote:
    I cannot thole Ricky Gervais.
    I've tried to thole him but I couldn't get it all in.

• TarickStonefire 27 Jan 2013 13:04:15 3,305 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    President_Weasel wrote:
    Karl Pilkington's unique take on things
    Is it unique, though? Every time I've *ever* seen him "being himself" all he's doing is looking blankly at someone or something and asking what's so special about stuff, and how stuff is rubbish, or weird, or makes no sense. If he's on Idiot Abroad watching things other people may reasonably be impressed to see, he's all "yeah but it's normal to them, so... so what?".

At least that's all I've ever seen him do, and frankly anyone can do it.

• Ka-blamo 30 Jan 2013 22:34:28 7,609 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Anyone just watch episode 1?
  • Lukus 30 Jan 2013 22:48:13 19,360 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, I quite liked it.

Paintings & Photographs

• Ka-blamo 30 Jan 2013 22:52:50 7,609 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Karl's rant at the end seemed real and heartfelt, good actor. You can say he's just being himself, but being yourself in front of camera isn't exactly easy.
  • Salaman 31 Jan 2013 09:02:25 19,453 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Wait, what? Episode 1 of what?
  • JuanKerr 31 Jan 2013 09:05:03 36,416 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The thread title is a clue.
  • imamazed 31 Jan 2013 09:11:38 5,889 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Disliked the pilot, but I actually liked this first full ep. They've got rid of the redundant slapstick and emphasised its other strengths. It's major problem was that Derek himself was not really funny, or interesting tbh. Aside from a couple of insights, all the entertainment came from the supporting cast.

I shall certainly be watching episode 2 though
  • S.J.Rogers 31 Jan 2013 09:18:50 3,557 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Never watched the pilot, kept meaning too but who has the time..!

Really enjoyed this though, funny, touching and well written. Karl was very good in this and as has been said, he is pretty much just playing himself but it works very well and becomes a very likable chap on screen.
  • Whizzo 31 Jan 2013 09:29:00 43,268 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I enjoyed the first episode, I was surprised I actually enjoyed the pilot as well, it's not really like other Gervais shows, which is probably just as well as I ended up hating "Life's Too Short."

Pilkington is very much the star of the show.

This space left intentionally blank.

• jellyhead 31 Jan 2013 09:37:22 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It didn't do anything for me. I don't know what it is with Gervais and his show template, some of his stuff really resonates with me but most of it does nothing, not even raise a smile. I switched over after a couple of minutes as it just wasn't engaging.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Salaman 31 Jan 2013 09:43:57 19,453 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    The thread title is a clue.
    Aaah right. As it was an old thread, and people were moaning about not liking it, I thought Derek had been aired already and people were talking about episode 1 of something new RV related. Especially the mention of Karl threw me off.
  • binky Moderator 31 Jan 2013 09:49:34 9,820 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've changed the thread title now there's a full series.
  • Shikasama 31 Jan 2013 09:58:12 7,077 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    imamazed wrote:
    Disliked the pilot, but I actually liked this first full ep. They've got rid of the redundant slapstick and emphasised its other strengths. It's major problem was that Derek himself was not really funny, or interesting tbh. Aside from a couple of insights, all the entertainment came from the supporting cast.

I shall certainly be watching episode 2 though
    Funnily enough I actually think that this is one of Gervais' greatest strengths and something he doesn't get enough credit for. In most of his shows he isn't selfish with the jokes at all, often being the unfunny one and allowing the situation/supporting cast to get all of the laughs.

Not many comedians have the balls to do that.
  • Page

of 7 First / Last