Derek (Ricky Gervais's new comedy) Page 3

• Page

of 7 First / Last

• S.J.Rogers 13 Apr 2012 10:35:54 3,557 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cool, i will have a look at 4OD tonight on the 360 and give it a go.

I know most people seem to dislike Ricky and sometimes i can totally see why, but at least he is giving thins a go and most of his stuff is better then all the Dancing on Ice, X Factor add ALL other singing/dancing shows put together...!!!
  • JuanKerr 13 Apr 2012 10:39:59 36,263 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I agree you can criticise his actual performance of a disabled character, but I don't think Gervais is mocking him or inviting us to laugh at him in any way. That's why I don't think it was offensive.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 13 Apr 2012 10:42:10 6,652 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I guess you're right.
  • superted1974 13 Apr 2012 12:25:10 205 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    StarMagic is spot on.

It was not good. Certainly not funny and there are much better and more moving dramas to watch.

If I had stumbled accross it on BBC3 I would have turned off after 5 minutes but Gervais has a lot of pedigree so I gave it the full 30 minutes.
  • Whizzo 13 Apr 2012 12:53:27 43,139 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It wasn't funny or touching, and too short.
    "Boy, the food at this place is really terrible."
    "Yeah, I know and such small portions."

This space left intentionally blank.

• King_Edward 13 Apr 2012 12:58:02 11,454 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I liked it. I thought it was quite touching and quite funny and about the right length.
  • Nanocrystal 13 Apr 2012 13:40:54 1,021 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    That's what she... oh nevermind.
  • RichieTenenbaum 13 Apr 2012 13:44:31 2,211 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I thought it was OK, if a bit blunt

"He's got a heart of gold"
  • RichieTenenbaum 13 Apr 2012 13:44:31 2,211 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I thought it was OK, if a bit blunt

"He's got a heart of gold"
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 13 Apr 2012 13:46:47 6,652 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Didn't quite do enough to topple Daniel Day Lewis' performance in My Left Foot.
  • richarddavies 13 Apr 2012 14:01:48 2,657 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I agree with the earlier comments about Gervais in this. At the beginning I thought it's just Gervais doing a mong face. And to be quite honest I didn't find most of it remotely funny. The bit where he fell in the pond was so cliche and contrived. You could see it a mile off. I think he did a bit better at the end with the touchy feely parts though.

And one other thing that pissed me off was the looking at the camera. He fucking does it all the time. I noticed it the once and then I couldn't stop seeing it. He can't help but stare into the camera every five seconds. Fucked me off.
  • King_Edward 13 Apr 2012 14:09:49 11,454 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Well the camera's were actually there, so I don't see why he wouldn't look at them.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 13 Apr 2012 14:38:57 6,652 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The bit where the girl gets Gervais to ask the guy what his favourite film is to see if he's gay or single was the closest he got imo.
  • SolidSCB 13 Apr 2012 14:43:30 6,743 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    Well the camera's were actually there, so I don't see why he wouldn't look at them.
    It wouldn't be quite so irritating if he didn't do it in every programme he's ever done.
  • billythekid 13 Apr 2012 14:47:29 11,138 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    SolidSCB wrote:
    King_Edward wrote:
    It wouldn't be quite so irritating if he didn't do it in every programme he's ever done.
    It's part of his mockumentary formula.
  • SolidSCB 13 Apr 2012 14:55:18 6,743 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's pathetic. I don't think I've ever seen a documentary where the person it is centred around constantly glances into the camera to make sure they are getting the attention. I really don't see how it adds any sort of authenticity to it. It's just bloody annoying.
  • Blakester 13 Apr 2012 15:12:22 3,629 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I gave this all of five minutes before watching something less embarrassing.

In my mind Gervais has done two great things. The Office and the Podcasts. Everything else has been mediocre to poor.

This is by far the worst thing though, mainly because the character he's playing is the same one he uses in his stand-up as a source of ridicule.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• Deleted user 13 April 2012 15:18:54
    i liked it. It was pretty honest, and wasn't trying to be anything else. I think that where gervais writing is strongest.

It was def a lot better than life too short. the slapstick moments where a bit contrived/cliched, but i liked the simple set up and character. I though hannah, was really well done as well. Gervias is a pretty one tone actor/character, but he does write other people well, perhaps the comments about replacing him with a proper actor are fair, but then again its his character he as formed. so ..
  • Fatiguez 13 Apr 2012 15:23:43 8,741 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    joelstinton wrote:
    perhaps the comments about replacing him with a proper actor are fair, but then again its his character he as formed. so ..
    ...so what? Daft justification IMO, writers shouldn't automatically have 'dibs' to play a character that they'd be shit as just because they wrote it. I agree with what others have said, I get what he's trying to do with this, but he's just awful in the lead. That gurning thing he does is fucking terrible. Could have been good with a different lead. It's nowhere near as bad as Life's Too Short, anyway.
  • WoodenSpoon 13 Apr 2012 15:26:16 12,285 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I thought it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

I'm worried that the death got thrown in early to disguise the fact that the show is essentially just about autistic people sitting in rhubarb crumbles and falling in ponds (ffs).

On the other hand Karl Pilkington was really funny I thought, much funnier than Gervais. Wait and see I guess.
  • Deleted user 13 April 2012 16:02:43
    Gervais confuses me. It clear he doesn't like a society that humilates people for the sake of laughter (i,e that extras scene in the bb house, and this).

But then he has life too short... AND those couple of slap stick moments. But man i even have slapstick moments, but it does seemed forced.

It nice to see a character (whether how well its played) that is normally ever shown on programms like BGT for humilations sake, that is rounded, and is actually yeah does something better than quite a few people. Those comments by the girls in the bar, are pratically soundbites by those who watch shit tv. (my flat mate included watching undateables. I applaud that from gervais.

Anyway i enjoyed it, a decent gentle comedy/observation/drama ( i like cemetry junction as well). Much better than life too short.

Edited by joelstinton at 16:09:58 13-04-2012
  • kalel 13 Apr 2012 16:11:44 87,775 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    joelstinton wrote:
    Gervais confuses me. It clear he doesn't like a society that humilates people for the sake of laughter (i,e that extras scene in the bb house, and this).

But then he has life too short...
    Life's Too Short is supposed to be laughing at other people's perceptions of a dwarf. And at times, it does achieve that, such as with the scenes with Helena Bonham Carter and Johnny Depp for example.

Unfortunately there's the odd scene where they also just invite us to laugh at a dwarf falling of/into various things, although I suspect Gervais would argue those bits are not funny because he's a dwarf, it's simply a dwarf performing physical comedy much like Normal Wisdom or whatever. I don't agree though.

I like Gervais. I think he's an important voice in modern comedy, and I think one or two of the things he's been involved in are exceptionally good. However, he doesn't connect every time he takes a swing and his massive lack of humility in those cases and constant assertion that everyone who criticises him simple "doesn't get it" is maddening.

He also clearly has some quite serious ego and self-esteem issues which he feels the need to broadcast to the world on twitter every day, which is really quite embarrassing.
  • richarddavies 13 Apr 2012 16:14:04 2,657 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Honestly when that pond bit happened I started singing the When the whistle blows themetune in my head.

Edited by richarddavies at 16:14:19 13-04-2012
  • Whizzo 13 Apr 2012 17:04:24 43,139 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The pond bit was bad but I think the telegraphed nature of him sitting on his crumble was worse. I think we were supposed to know it was going to happen as some sort of meta joke but it wasn't funny in the slightest.

This space left intentionally blank.

• bitch_tits_zero_nine 13 Apr 2012 17:24:44 6,652 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah that was terrible.

It reminded me of the Eddie Izzard stand up bit, where he likened looking cool to being a big circle; where when you reach a certain point of looking cool, it resets and you look like a twat.

Obviously replace cool for funny.

Edited by bitch_tits_zero_nine at 17:25:29 13-04-2012
  • WoodenSpoon 13 Apr 2012 18:21:04 12,285 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    This keeps getting described as a 'one off' show, does that mean there's only one episode? Frankly bizarre if that's the case, it was only on for 30 minutes.
  • SolidSCB 13 Apr 2012 18:26:40 6,743 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It was labeled as a pilot on the TV guide, so maybe it'll get picked up for more eps or something? They seemed to go full circle with the range of emotions in the space of one show though, so it'd be tough to see how they'd be able to wring a series out without it getting mega stale.

To be honest, I'd rather it didn't. Gervais was truly terrible in the role.
  • Page

of 7 First / Last