Derek (Ricky Gervais's new comedy) Page 6

• Page

of 7 First / Last

• OptimusPube 18 Mar 2013 04:58:35 2,416 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Just finished watching episodes 3 to 6 on 4OD and must say what an enjoyable watch, the way it plays with your emotions and the story telling is outstanding, the episode with the bitch of a daughter who's only in it for her mothers ring angered me so much which I think was the point but overall an excellent series.

Hannah was an excellent character as was most of the crew, I just didn't see the point in the drunken guy Kevin, he added nothing, Ricky Gervais was excellent though and I really got lost in his role, kinda like Tom Hanks in Forest Gump. The finale was excellent and I was blubbing like a blubbing maniac which to me is a good sign.

Karl Pilkington was top notch and I loved the way he told that ring bitch off and then the subtle shoulder rub from Hannah, he was excellent throughout.

Is it supposed to be like this?

• ZuluHero 18 Mar 2013 09:08:20 3,668 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Kevin really surprised me in the final episode though.
  • glaeken 18 Mar 2013 09:51:41 10,978 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    BillCityfingers wrote:
    I've just started watching this on 4od for the first time. Only got series three so watched ep1 and midway through 2 now. Finding it surprisingly good. Funny and heartfelt. Thing is is I really don't get gervais character and even though the show is named after him I think so far it would be better if he wasn't in it. He's just being Ricky gervais, again, and mugging constantly to the camera. Maybe I just don't understand yet.
    How is he just being Gervais again? I did not like his performance much but it's pretty different to anything he has tried to do before. Personally I would have preferred Gervais had not stared in it as his acting did not really work for me and I would rather he cast someone else as Derek but what he is doing is pretty far from normal Gervais.
  • Lukus 18 Mar 2013 09:54:36 18,955 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Series three? Eh?

Paintings & Photographs

• Trane 18 Mar 2013 09:57:30 4,049 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    What a gem of a show, can't wait for the next series.
  • lukejones 18 Mar 2013 10:06:16 405 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    OptimusPube wrote:
    Karl Pilkington was top notch and I loved the way he told that ring bitch off and then the subtle shoulder rub from Hannah, he was excellent throughout.
    Did you watch the making of episode? Really funny. Karl Pilkington said he was shaking with anger at the woman even though it wasn’t real haha.

“You got your ring then yeah? Then fuck off. FUCK OFF!”

Edited by lukejones at 10:06:25 18-03-2013
  • Deleted user 18 March 2013 12:32:52
    I watched the last one a couple of days ago. Weirdly 4od referred to it as series 3 but since found out it's the first series!

Thought it was brilliant in the end. Very well written and tugged on the heart strings quite a few times.

Only negative is gervais. I'll stand by my previous comment and I really didn't like him in this. He should have got another actor in the role.

Apart from that I loved it and it would be great to have another series. Karl was brilliant and I too loved his rant against the ring woman.
  • Ka-blamo 18 Mar 2013 13:17:30 7,109 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    But the Derek character predates David Brent and is Gervais' baby, No way would he give that up.....but I agree he's too famous and we know him too well for his mong face to convince us its not a multi millionaire household name doing a mong face.
  • glaeken 18 Mar 2013 13:28:17 10,978 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That is the problem for me. He is too famous for being himself. The acting actually may be fine but I just see Gervais acting. I cannot disconnect myself from that. The part needed an unknown to be cast. Gervais I think these days should stick to just writing unless he is just playing himself which has been the way with most of his roles to one degree or another.
  • Deckard1 18 Mar 2013 13:39:29 25,417 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The problem is, its just not a very good mong face. To be fair to Gervais his acting in the role is very good, its very perceptive and heartfelt without being overly cheesy. He just doesn't have a very good mong face. Any man worth his salt has perfected their own mong face over years of practice and experimentation, so if there's any faults with your mong face its going to be picked up on very quickly.

Called it

• Lukus 18 Mar 2013 13:43:04 18,955 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The cynic in me thinks he only wrote Derek as a series after the Mong-gate thing on Twitter, kind of like a "seeee, I'm definitely not prejudice" thing. I never thought he was incidentally.

Paintings & Photographs

• OptimusPube 18 Mar 2013 19:23:28 2,416 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    lukejones wrote:
    OptimusPube wrote:
    Did you watch the making of episode? Really funny. Karl Pilkington said he was shaking with anger at the woman even though it wasn’t real haha.

“You got your ring then yeah? Then fuck off. FUCK OFF!”
    I haven't watched the making off, I thought it might take away from the magic of it but I might give it a watch now on your recommendation.

Is it supposed to be like this?

• Deleted user 18 March 2013 20:00:26
    Hannah used to be a fittie in Grange Hill many moons ago didn't she?
  • Roddles 18 Mar 2013 20:03:20 1,435 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Couldn't stand this. Whether or not it was trying to be ironic, offensive or pulling at heartstrings, I found it utterly unfunny and embarrassing.

Edited by Roddles at 20:04:13 18-03-2013
  • HoriZon 19 Mar 2013 23:33:18 13,461 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Last ep got me too the other half just laughed at me :D

I used to be a gamer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee.

• One_Vurfed_Gwrx 20 Mar 2013 13:11:12 507 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think I may have had the advantage of not having seen Gervais act in anything before (only saw his role in "An Idiot Abroad") so didn't think his portrayal was that bad. In fact I didn't even know he was the character until the credits, although I had thought he looked vaguely familiar. Ignorance is bliss sometimes :) I only watched the show on a random reccomendation.
  • imamazed 20 Mar 2013 14:12:07 5,455 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @One_Vurfed_Gwrx Good god watch the office. now.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 21 Mar 2013 10:34:20 507 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Then I will got your problem in reverse ;)
  • Nades 23 Mar 2013 11:00:09 635 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Love this show. Karl Pilkington is hilarious!

Liverpool FC

• PenguinJim 24 Mar 2013 05:02:00 5,462 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I didn't think the show would support six episodes based on the pilot, but... quite good. I'm surprised. The last episode was a bit Pilkington-light, sadly, but some of the (none-comedy) lines just about made up for it.

Watching Making of Derek afterwards was very good - plenty of Karl. Don't forget that you can Learn English with Karl on Youtube now. Rank.
  • Nades 16 Apr 2013 08:52:57 635 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    When is the next series?

Liverpool FC

• cubbymoore 16 Apr 2013 09:00:46 36,441 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    4Locust123 wrote:
    Been rewatching this, this week through 4OD. This is without doubt one of the best things ever broadcast on UK television.

Ricky Gervais is pure brilliance and if there is still an idiot who even thinks he was ever attacking disabled people I suggest you watch the ending.
    Actually, I suggest you actually fucking watch the entire fucking programme before attacking ricky gervais on the wright stuff.

Thank you ricky.
    A nice reasonable post.
  • Scurrminator Moderator 21 Apr 2013 01:07:26 8,293 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wow.
    Finally watched all of these. Really, really good.
    Seems really heartfelt and genuine but funny too.

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• lukejones 22 Apr 2013 14:26:36 405 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Nades I imagine it’ll be winter 2013 or spring 2014.
  • AcidSnake 22 Apr 2013 14:52:20 7,145 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I agree that Gervais is not believable in the role...It just looks like he's focusing too much on the underbite all the time...

Also the series isn't that much about Derek at all (bar the last one) and more about the group...

Enjoyed it a lot though, and at the last episode the GF suddenly started crying too which I didn't expect...So well done there...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• billythekid 19 Dec 2013 13:17:33 10,808 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Kev's Christmas Crackers

There's 8 in total.

Edited by billythekid at 13:17:51 19-12-2013
  • CosmicFuzz 19 Dec 2013 15:44:33 21,251 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The scene with the frog cracks me up every time.

"Why would they make two of them? It was made in China. They made one of them, they turned the machine off immediately after they saw what they’d produced."

What's your thoughts on Heroes Reborn? Read my TV musings here.

• CharlieStCloud 30 Jan 2014 15:10:03 4,695 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Got this as a surprise Christmas gift from my friend, after previously buying the first series of 'An Idiot Abroad' for her Birthday a couple of years ago.

... first things first, given that I read all six pages of this thread, I was absolutely FURIOUS that the first three pages was solely full of 'this show is crap' kind of posts. I genuinely thought you were all a bunch of unfunny, unkind and unmoved heartless cunts.

I know this place has its fair share of grumpy wankers that love to be a grumpy wanker at most given opportunities, but after reading those first three pages, I just thought,'it is not even worth going through the effort of reading the last few pages'.

Well, I am glad I did because not only did I realise that you blooming lot were talking about the pilot, but the show itself is ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT!

Easily the best thing Gervais has done since The Office.

There was at least one genuine belly laugh every episode, mainly from Karl Pilkingtons' character and when things got all drama-ery, heartfelt and serious, it really worked ... I had a lump in my throat a few times as well.

Not afraid to admit I cried like a baby on the last episode too. I agree with Deckard that Kev was the odd-one-out and didn't always work given the situation(s), but his little Derek speech at the end was very real and emotional.

Almost made up for his schlock'ing mannerisms that brought the tone down a little bit sometimes.

Pleased as punch to see a new series is in the works, and for those of you who were not particularly kind towards the pilot episode, I thoroughly urge you watch the 'proper' show because it is, like I already said above, absolutely brilliant.

Not a bad way to begin my year with this short but very sweet television series.

: )
  • Salaman 30 Jan 2014 16:18:54 18,249 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    On the topic of Karl. His recent show was quite good!
    Like an idiot abroad but without Ricky and Stephen and all that "let's get on Karl's tits" bollocks.
    Posh hotels instead of crappy hotels and you get Karl joining in on a bunch of stuff for the experience of it, coming way with his unique view on the world and people.
    Loved it. Can't remember what it's called though. Something Life.

aha ... the moaning of life.
    Good stuff!
  • Page

of 7 First / Last