Silent Hill HD Collection = Completely Broken? Page 4

• Page

of 5 First / Last

• -cerberus- 9 Aug 2012 00:58:51 2,875 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Whizzo wrote:
    360 owners please continuing buying the game we're never going to actually fix.
    I'm not even buying this crap used.

Edited by -cerberus- at 00:59:26 09-08-2012

Take the plastic bag challenge to cure stupidity.

• richarddavies 9 Aug 2012 09:00:15 2,658 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I recently went through this on the 360. Wasn't as bad as it's been made out I thought. It played fine and that's the main thing for me. The rowboat bit in 2 was a bit iffy though but it's only a short cutscene.
  • psychokitten Moderator 9 Aug 2012 09:48:13 7,794 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Why even issue a statement like that? Honestly, Konami, the "technical issue" is that you dont want to pay to bring out the patch, right?

I got this in a swap for another game. Even more soured on it now than I was. Feel like melting it and posting it to them.
  • Whizzo 9 Aug 2012 09:51:46 43,131 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    All it says to me is "don't bother buying a Konami product and if you do want one wait a long time so you get to see if they fix any issues."

This space left intentionally blank.

• repairmanjack 9 Aug 2012 10:33:39 6,049 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    "Dear Konami,

Thanks for taking the heat off me.

Regards,

Phil Fish.

PS: Your games just suck."
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 9 Aug 2012 11:24:56 38,251 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I am SHOCKED that a HD re-release was a lazy port that isn't getting supported post-release.

Oh wait, no I'm not.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• -cerberus- 5 Sep 2012 11:51:11 2,875 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Twin Perfect tears the Collection a new one in their latest in-depth review here.

So glad I didn't buy the bloody thing.

• -cerberus- 16 Sep 2012 00:03:08 2,875 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Due to fan feedback, Konami will be printing an updated version of the HD Collection. However, only the boxart will be revised and absolutely no changes will be made to the games themselves. Konami feels that this way, they are being brutally honest in terms of the contents of the collection and buyers can make a fully informed decision upon purchasing this filth.

• Futaba 16 Sep 2012 03:21:59 3,511 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'll make an effort to never buy another Konami game new if that's the case.

As far back as I can remember I always wanted to be a ninja.

• Waggy44 16 Sep 2012 22:43:26 7 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    What's happened to the second patch? I've just got the game for he PS3 and it only installed patch 1.01. Where's the 1.02 patch? I want my "fixes"!
  • Widge Moderator 17 Sep 2012 09:33:41 13,593 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I watched this last night (am now fucking shattered), I didn't realise the games had been so dramatically altered.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• Ranger_Ryu 17 Sep 2012 19:23:55 1,065 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Waggy44

The first patch that America got is already on the disc.
  • modula 17 Aug 2014 11:01:22 252 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    As someone who never played the originals but knows they should, is this worth a punt second hand and cheap? Or is it so bad that I shouldn't bother?
  • richarddavies 17 Aug 2014 11:09:36 2,658 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I suppose if you haven't played the originals you've nothing to compare it to so there worth a punt. They weren't great HD/remaster/update, whatever the fuck you call em though.
  • DUFFMAN5 17 Aug 2014 11:11:07 14,688 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @modula
    SH 1,2 and 3 defo should be/need to be played. Do you own a ps2/xbox if so play on those, if not I would still say play these on HD, you have no point of ref so should get a lot out of them. SH trilogy is brilliant :)

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• quadfather 17 Aug 2014 11:14:07 12,152 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Silent hill 2 on ps2 still holds up well. You'll initially be put off by the rough graphics, but that soon disappears when you get into the game. Plus it is one of the best horror games out there

First one is pretty grainy and rough, but again, still a good game

This is the one you want, and for under a tenner, it's a no brainer, imo

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• richarddavies 17 Aug 2014 11:21:10 2,658 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    yeah or there's a boxset for the ps2 aswell. It's got 2,3 and the room in one set.

EDIT: Fuck im on my phone, can't link it. just ssearch on ebay for silent hill collection ps2. It's not that expensive either.

Edited by richarddavies at 11:22:48 17-08-2014
  • Cappy 17 Aug 2014 11:40:25 11,941 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This is objectively the 'best' version of Silent Hill 2.

Marketed as a Director's Cut you've got all the Restless Dreams content of the Xbox version and you've got the full original frame displayed, plus everything runs at the original frame rate, which the PAL Platinum version doesn't do, it's a PAL conversion.

Furthermore unlike the Xbox and PC versions the effects are all intact, only the PS2 versions have all the fog that's supposed to be there in the places it's supposed to be.

It's one of those rare occasions when you actually want the Greatest Hits/Platinum version with the ugly packaging, the PAL Platinum version doesn't look that bad.

Restless Dreams itself is a short prologue, best played after you've finished the main game in which you control Maria in events which occur just before she meets James for the first time.

Edited by Cappy at 11:42:42 17-08-2014
  • ubergine 17 Aug 2014 11:46:44 2,400 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Unfortunately, unless they do a fully proper remake, as in Gamecube Resident Evil Remake, I'm never likely to experience this particular slice of history.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ubergine

• Cappy 17 Aug 2014 12:01:36 11,941 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Aside from Hideo Kojima there's probably nobody in a decision making position at Konami that really cares about console games or Silent Hill anymore.

It's telling that when the Zone of the Enders Collection got screwed up, just as the Silent Hill HD collection did, new developers who actually knew what they were doing were commissioned to properly fix Hideo Kojima's games on the PS3 at least.

From what I hear, Konami make most of their money from slot machines and gambling games these days, I don't see anything getting remade and anything that's not overseen by Kojima runs the risk of being of being absolutely ruined since they don't seem to care about quality.
  • quadfather 17 Aug 2014 12:07:40 12,152 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Cappy wrote:
    This is objectively the 'best' version of Silent Hill 2.

Marketed as a Director's Cut you've got all the Restless Dreams content of the Xbox version and you've got the full original frame displayed, plus everything runs at the original frame rate, which the PAL Platinum version doesn't do, it's a PAL conversion.

Furthermore unlike the Xbox and PC versions the effects are all intact, only the PS2 versions have all the fog that's supposed to be there in the places it's supposed to be.

It's one of those rare occasions when you actually want the Greatest Hits/Platinum version with the ugly packaging, the PAL Platinum version doesn't look that bad.

Restless Dreams itself is a short prologue, best played after you've finished the main game in which you control Maria in events which occur just before she meets James for the first time.
    Good call - had forgotten about the restless dream bit too.

Slowly starting to want to play through sh2 again :)

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• ubergine 17 Aug 2014 12:16:54 2,400 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Cappy That's a shame. If they've branched into gambling, they'll never likely go bankrupt and create the possibility of others buying up their hostage IPs.

It's so shit that there's so many good properties out there that could be great again if they could only reach the hands of people who actually give a fuck.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ubergine

• modula 17 Aug 2014 14:02:56 252 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @DUFFMAN5 Cheers - don't have an Xbox or PS2 so HD Collection it is!
  • Darth_Flibble 17 Aug 2014 14:32:30 1,694 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It sad there isn't going to be silent hill game like the old trilogy. While this Silent hills new game is scary, I still want an 3rd person game. Homecoming onwards was a mixture of shit and average given to cheap studios (have not played the psp one)
  • -cerberus- 17 Aug 2014 14:40:39 2,875 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @modula I wouldn't do that if I were you... The HD Collection is atrocious. PS2 consoles are cheap and easy to find, as are used copies of SH2. Try that first, trust me, it's worth it.

On the other hand, if you think the HD Collection is the only option for you, get it used.

• Malek86 17 Aug 2014 14:45:19 833 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Since we are on the topic, do you guys think I should give SH1 another shot?

I played SH2 first a few years ago, and liked it enough that I decided to try and pick up the digital version of SH1. But I gave up quickly, it seemed too aimless, and then I met some dogs and died quickly.

I'm not sure what I was doing wrong - the combat in SH2 wasn't exactly difficult.
  • -cerberus- 17 Aug 2014 14:54:13 2,875 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Malek86 Definitely give it another go! Word of advice: avoid combat whenever possible. This is after all old school survival horror.

• Malek86 17 Aug 2014 14:59:41 833 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So I take it that it's an entirely different game from SH2? I remember in that one I was pretty much killing almost every enemy I came across. God bless melee weapons that are actually useful, unlike in Resident Evil.

I'm not a big fan of old school survival horror, if it means running. Even the very ancient Alone in the Dark, which is one of my favorite games, gave you ways to deal with almost every enemy in the game (though not always in direct combat).
  • -cerberus- 17 Aug 2014 15:14:22 2,875 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Malek86 Actually SH2 is the easiest of the two; you can run past everything and only have to engage in combat during boss fights. Actually, the first encounter with Pyramid Head is time based, you don't even have to fight him, dodging is enough.

Regardless, there are plenty of ways to deal with enemies in SH1 and, indeed, the melee weapons are very useful (Pickaxe \o/)! SH1 starts off a bit slow but once you get to Midwich Elementary, all hell breaks loose :)

Edited by -cerberus- at 15:14:40 17-08-2014

• Page

of 5 First / Last