Certain web pages won't load

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • UnblestCarpet 24 Mar 2012 11:42:22 232 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Hopefully someone can help with this.

Certain web pages have stopped loading in any browser that I try them on.

I've tried loading them on my mobile phone on the same network and they work.
    I've tried tethering my phone to my laptop to use a mobile network and the sites still don't load.
    I've tried using a Ethernet cable into my laptop to see if it was a wireless driver issue.
    I've disabled all plugins and tried multiple browsers.
    I've turned off Windows Firewall and this doesn't help
    I've flushed my DNS and ran ccleaner

I've not installed anything new for weeks. Un-less something updated in the background.

It's really weird and only started happening a few days ago.

Some sites that don't work are:
    bbc.co.uk (as if it doesn't exist)
    dell.com (same)
    youtube.com (loads but when I try and play a video they hang and then any browser crashes)

Chrome usually gives me this error:
    Error 109 (net::ERR_ADDRESS_UNREACHABLE): Unable to reach the server.

Anyone had this problem before or know how to fix it?

Edited by UnblestCarpet at 11:51:55 24-03-2012
  • dominalien 24 Mar 2012 11:54:47 7,071 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    In FF (or any other browser, probably) close the browser, rename its configuration dir and re-run it to start fresh with a new config.

Also, you may have a virus that messes up your hosts file. I don't remember where that file is in Windows (you're on Windows, right?), but you could look at it to see if there isn't any funny stuff there. If there is, the virus will keep messing with the file if you correct it and you'll have to get rid of it first (the virus, not the file).

You could also try manually setting Google's DNS servers in your network settings to:

If the sites start loading, then there's a problem with you router's or ISP's DNS server(s).

Edited by dominalien at 11:55:32 24-03-2012

PSN: DonOsito

• DaM 24 Mar 2012 11:56:46 13,541 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I had a weird issue a few weeks ago, I could not get on to a forum I help with from home. I suspected the other mod had banned my IP by mistake (big spam problems), but I have access to the backend and he hadn't. Tried all the things you have, none worked.

In the end I found a solution online, I changed the MAC address on my router. Don't ask me why, but it worked!
  • UnblestCarpet 24 Mar 2012 12:00:18 232 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    In FF (or any other browser, probably) close the browser, rename its configuration dir and re-run it to start fresh with a new config.

Also, you may have a virus that messes up your hosts file. I don't remember where that file is in Windows (you're on Windows, right?), but you could look at it to see if there isn't any funny stuff there. If there is, the virus will keep messing with the file if you correct it and you'll have to get rid of it first (the virus, not the file).

You could also try manually setting Google's DNS servers in your network settings to:

If the sites start loading, then there's a problem with you router's or ISP's DNS server(s).
    Thanks, I will try your first two suggestions.
    I'm running Windows 7 64bit Pro

My mobile phone when connected to the network accesses these sites fine. So I don't think there is a DNS issue with my router or provider.

I'm currently running a virus scan in Kaspersky, although the quick scan didn't find anything.
  • UnblestCarpet 24 Mar 2012 12:07:08 232 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Just to add, i'm fairly sure it's not my router as my mobile works fine on the network.
    Also my laptop still can't load webpages when using the mobile network from my phone.
  • dominalien 24 Mar 2012 12:07:09 7,071 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wikipedia says hosts is here in Windows:

%SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

• dominalien 24 Mar 2012 12:09:05 7,071 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @UnblestCarpet

Yeah, looks like the problem is on the computer's side.

You could still try google's servers in the network settings; maybe the DNS is still borked.

• UnblestCarpet 24 Mar 2012 12:40:57 232 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I think I should update my wireless drivers but I can't get to the Dell website... Dell Wireless 1397

I changed my wireless adapters ipv4 and ipv6 DNS settings to Googles and that didn't work. I had to change back to automatic as it was stopping me from getting into my router control panel (I know I probably need to change something else for that)

Just looking into changing my MAC address.

I'm a little cautious to start changing loads of things though as I'de rather not mess up the settings for my NAS Box.

I've not really had to do much like this since moving from XP to 7, so I'm having a little trouble refinding things.
  • UnblestCarpet 24 Mar 2012 13:23:05 232 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Thinking of changing the DNS on my router using this guide: http://www.o2help.co.uk/router-change-dns/
    I don't think this will affect my Nasbox. I'm just a bit dubious about using this method as I don't have much telnet experience. This isn't important though as I tried it through windows itself and it didn't fix the problem.

I'm coming to the conclusion that this problem is probably virus/malware related somehow. Although I've not found a virus yet.... still scanning.

Edited by UnblestCarpet at 13:32:04 24-03-2012
  • UnblestCarpet 24 Mar 2012 13:31:11 232 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    Wikipedia says hosts is here in Windows:

%SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    Host file looks fine as far as I can tell. It only really references adobe.
  • UnblestCarpet 24 Mar 2012 14:05:06 232 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    I had a weird issue a few weeks ago, I could not get on to a forum I help with from home. I suspected the other mod had banned my IP by mistake (big spam problems), but I have access to the backend and he hadn't. Tried all the things you have, none worked.

In the end I found a solution online, I changed the MAC address on my router. Don't ask me why, but it worked!
    This will be router specific but roughly how do you change your routers MAC address?
  • Dirtbox 24 Mar 2012 14:05:33 79,217 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Pirating photoshop, huh?

Before you do anything you should try flushing your dns cache.

Start, Run, type cmd and press enter to get a console window then type:
    ipconfig /flushdns

If that fails try:
    ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• UnblestCarpet 24 Mar 2012 14:20:22 232 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Pirating photoshop, huh?

Before you do anything you should try flushing your dns cache.

Start, Run, type cmd and press enter to get a console window then type:
    ipconfig /flushdns

If that fails try:
    ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew
    Thanks Dirtbox. None of them work and I had tried /flushdns already.

I'm going out for a run so hopefully by the time I get back, then my anti virus might have finished.

Adobe in my host file was for educational purposes.... :-)
  • UnblestCarpet 24 Mar 2012 16:25:19 232 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    A bit stumped with this now.

My virus scanner is still going, as I had to restart it. It's not far off finishing and it hasn't found anything major. Just some rom stuff to do with my Android phone.

I'm almost certain the problem is with the laptop and not the network as I've refreshed, reset and reconfigured everything I can think of.

I haven't worked out why it's only certain sites though. It affects them even if I try http, https, ftp, ftps etc.

As far as I know, nothing has changed on the laptop bar some windows auto update or something.
  • UnblestCarpet 24 Mar 2012 16:33:43 232 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    When I ping bbc.co.uk from my computer I get no response. Although the ip address does come up, which I assume means that the dns is working properly.

another site such as this or google.com work fine.
  • UnblestCarpet 24 Mar 2012 17:01:25 232 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I've changed my routers DNS to googles now.
    Pages still don't load... so this just double confirms that the problem is with my laptop and not the network.

Nasbox was fine after the DNS change :)
  • UnblestCarpet 24 Mar 2012 17:11:34 232 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Worked it out......... PeerBlock, was blocking them. I've wasted sooo much time on this! I must have accidently clicked block http at some point.

Well my laptop and network are clean and finely tuned now.

Thanks for the help from people who have replied.
  • Dirtbox 24 Mar 2012 17:12:31 79,217 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hah.

Edited by Dirtbox at 17:12:46 24-03-2012

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• DaM 24 Mar 2012 17:44:59 13,541 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    UnblestCarpet wrote:
    DaM wrote:

This will be router specific but roughly how do you change your routers MAC address?
    For future reference, it was in the router admin (google for your router brand, likely 192.168.1.1 or similar). I didn't realise you could change the MAC address of things, I thought they were unique.
  • UnblestCarpet 24 Mar 2012 17:54:04 232 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    UnblestCarpet wrote:
    DaM wrote:

For future reference, it was in the router admin (google for your router brand, likely 192.168.1.1 or similar). I didn't realise you could change the MAC address of things, I thought they were unique.
    Thanks.
    I was looking at my router control panel and it didn't seem to be a option.
    I did read somewhere about spoofing it or something. I think that basically means adding a device with the same IP address as the router.

Anyway, it's working so no worries.
  • jagg3r 25 Mar 2013 20:33:28 1,059 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Im having a similar problem for the past week.Whats happening is that every 2nd or 3rd webpage i try and load comes back with a error server not found and i have to refresh it again to get it to load,its really annoying. I was using chrome so i uninstalled it and went with mozilla same problem. Its happening on my wifes laptop also. Funny thing is ive no problem playing games, netflix or downloading torrents with no drop off. Ive rebooted my modem, firmware is up todate. Any ideas would be appreciated.
  • monkehhh 25 Mar 2013 20:37:58 3,530 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @jagg3r Tried alternate DNS servers?
  • jagg3r 25 Mar 2013 20:41:10 1,059 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @monkehhh Sorry bit of a Noob but how? Or point me in the right direction, im quick to pick up things.

Im googling it now

Edited by jagg3r at 20:42:33 25-03-2013
  • monkehhh 25 Mar 2013 21:20:02 3,530 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/

May be that your ISPs DNS is knackered(?).
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next