Registered 6 years ago
  • irrelevanthuman 22 Jun 2013 12:36:47 370 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Post deleted
  • FWB 23 Jun 2013 00:18:10 44,852 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Longpigs - Lost Myself. Nothing behind it, just come on the shuffle.
  • Stockings 23 Jun 2013 01:54:59 1,063 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    BillMurray wrote:
    I like it ;)
  • Rhaegyr 23 Jun 2013 14:34:38 2,310 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Kanye West - Yeezus

Great production and good beats all ruined by awful lyrics and delivery. After the excellent MBDTF it's a shame that it's such a steep fall in quality. Some of the reviews baffle me.

Sigur Ros - Kveikur

Probably their strongest release since Takk. This new aggressive side really helps push the band forward after a couple of years treading water. There's no 'Svefn-G-Englar' on here but it doesn't need it. Really liking this one.

Smith Westerns - Soft Will

Their last release 'Dye It Blonde' was one of the albums of the summer last year - all glammed up like T-Rex and Ziggy-era Bowie, it spilled melodies and hooks on nearly every song with a freewheeling energy. This second LP still has some great melodies but lacks the energy to really push the songs further. It's a toned down affair with most of the emphasis going on the singer instead of the guitars - not a move that's paid off in my opinion. Good record, but slightly disappointing.

Deafheaven - Sunbather

I don't like screamed vocals - I can't hear what's being sung and the same constant tone makes nothing about them stand out imo. The only bands I can listen to who 'scream' are The Refused and Fucked Up, mostly because the music is so brilliant.

This band falls into the same category. Heard nothing about them until reading a few reviews and thought I'd give it a whirl. Though it's been labelled as 'black metal' I'd say it has far more in common with post-rock, particularly bands such as Godspeed, Mogwai and Explosions in the Sky. The drumming and guitar work are absolutely ferocious, technically brilliant and above all melodic. The album only features seven songs, three of which are practically (often gorgeous) interludes splitting the big four tracks which all hit around the 10-15min mark. The songs build to multiple crescendo's and simmer down with some lovely guitar picking and paired back drums.

The singing isn't so bad - I can pick out a few phrases that emphasise the songs and looking at the lyric book they actually aren't that bad. Just unintelligible for my ears!

Probably my most played album at the minute (as if the gushing didn't give it away).

Edit - New QOTSA's finally growing on me too. 'I Appear Missing' is brilliant.

Edited by Rhaegyr at 14:36:22 23-06-2013
  • shamblemonkee 23 Jun 2013 17:56:04 14,491 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
  • BillMurray 24 Jun 2013 23:02:05 7,805 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
  • Kovacs77 25 Jun 2013 19:10:13 368 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Rhaegyr Loving Deafheaven here as well. Between this, Mouth Of The Architect, Palms and Sigur Ros, it's been very proggy week for my Spotify account.
  • Deleted user 26 June 2013 10:17:22
    New sigur ros album too, arrived through my door yesterday. Liking it, its sounds more like jonsi solo record, not much atmospheric stuff, but its bold and certainly striking, already on a couple of repeat listens theres a lot to hear and take in.
  • Armoured_Bear 26 Jun 2013 10:20:34 11,370 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    John Frusciante thanks to the thread from yesterday :-)

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Deleted user 26 June 2013 10:21:06
    good man!
  • Kovacs77 26 Jun 2013 19:50:55 368 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear Which albums / tracks? Love this one

It kinda baffles me when people who love guitar music have a blanket disliking for the Chilis, regardless of what you think of Kiedis' rapping, socks, bad tattoos, etc, John Frusciante was in that band. And John Frusciante did stuff like this when he was in that band

Edited by Kovacs77 at 19:51:40 26-06-2013
  • Kostabi 26 Jun 2013 20:13:42 4,982 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Clutch - Earth Rocker

I fucking love me some Clutch and this new one is a corker.
  • shamblemonkee 26 Jun 2013 23:17:17 14,491 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    D.C sound Attack is my go to track on their new album at the moment.

got me some Cash on right now...

• Armoured_Bear 27 Jun 2013 10:23:21 11,370 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Kovacs77 wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear Which albums / tracks? Love this one

It kinda baffles me when people who love guitar music have a blanket disliking for the Chilis, regardless of what you think of Kiedis' rapping, socks, bad tattoos, etc, John Frusciante was in that band. And John Frusciante did stuff like this when he was in that band

Thanks for the great clips.
    I regret never going to see RHCP live now.

I'm listening to "To Record only water for ten days" which is wonderful.
    I've dipped into Will To Death as well but it hasn't clicked with me as much, I have lots of listening to do.
    Where should I go next?

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• warlockuk 27 Jun 2013 11:43:39 19,193 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    For me, RHCP were great with Frusciante - it wasn't quite the same when he came back, but the early 1990s were awesome.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Kovacs77 27 Jun 2013 19:20:36 368 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear I think Shadows Collide With People would be a good choice next, or his first EP with Ataxia (which had Joe Lally from Fugazi on bass). The Empyrean is also very good, great cover of Song To The Siren

Edited by Kovacs77 at 19:25:55 27-06-2013
  • b0rk 27 Jun 2013 19:25:01 2,916 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago

The movie is supposedly a bit rubbish but the soundtrack is wonderful. Hans Zimmer can do no wrong.
  • Tom_Servo 1 Jul 2013 19:35:21 18,009 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    This concert film of Deerhunter, a.k.a. the best band on the go at the moment

I remember seeing a trailer for this a couple of years ago and being very excited, but it had totally dropped off my radar. Turns out it was released a couple of weeks ago. It's an independent thing, but it's taken so long that the band have since released a new album and the line-up has changed a bit. However, I think this'll still serve as an impressive document.

I'm about fifteen minutes in, and it's really nicely filmed. Does a bit more than most band filming where they simply point a camera at them and that's it. All professionally done and the VHS filter on a camera gives a nice change of pace every now and again.

It's a very strong setlist too (although not perfect, IMHO).
  • rtk79 2 Jul 2013 14:52:27 495 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
  • Deleted user 2 July 2013 14:55:16
    The fuck is that.
  • Progguitarist 2 Jul 2013 20:23:10 10,481 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Currently listening to the ending instrumental section of my latest tune. I'm really happy with it :D
  • BillMurray 2 Jul 2013 23:06:33 7,805 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago

Some terrific drumming going on in Crash of Rhinos.

Edited by BillMurray at 23:12:46 02-07-2013
  • Aretak 2 Jul 2013 23:13:20 10,367 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Perfume - Kiss and Music
  • Stockings 3 Jul 2013 03:26:19 1,063 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I just discovered IVVVO, so I'm going through his stuff, nice ambient post rave maybe?
    Whatever they call it, it's good ;)
  • boo 5 Jul 2013 15:46:37 11,846 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just picked up the Lana Del Rey album Born To Die (The expanded edition with the Paradise EP included).

Can't stop listening to it - it's absolutely epic! Over the top production, everything washed through with a gallon of angst, it's like Paloma Faith and Lauren Bacall had a kid that was brought up by James Dean and given music theory lessons by M83 and Ennio Morricone.

Love it!

Point of interest - I'd not heard of LDR before Tuesday, but I've got tickets to go and see Dutch symphonic metallers, Within Temptation in January (Mrs Boo is less than thrilled at the prospect) and so I picked up a couple of their albums that I hadn't got.
    One was a covers album that they released recently, with 15 covers of pop tunes, done in a WT style, to celebrate their 15th anniversary.

One of the tracks was Del Rey's 'Summertime Sadness', which is awesome, and probably edges out the original.

Anyway, that made me go and look up the Del Rey version, heard a couple of tracks and bought the album.

There's a couple of immediate standouts (Born To Die, Summertime Sadness), but the rest grow on you at a rate of knots.

Mucho recommended.

Just Another Lego Blog

• robthehermit 8 Jul 2013 10:44:23 4,171 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Def Leppard - Hysteria

A truly classic album.

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• dominalien 8 Jul 2013 10:46:06 7,021 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I asked Spotify to make me a radio based on Bon Jovi and it's playing me some awesome stuff. There were a couple of turds, like some Cher, but that's easily skipped.

Awesome thing, Spotify. I don't think I'll ever buy another album.

PSN: DonOsito

• b0rk 8 Jul 2013 12:03:07 2,916 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    "the perfect blossom is a rare thing. You could spend your life looking for one, and it would not be a wasted life"

I don't know about that but listening to the soundtrack of The Last Samurai certainly isn't a waste of time.

• Deleted user 8 July 2013 12:45:58
    Listened to midlake's 'courage of others' sat in the garden this morning. great band, really looking forward to hearing some new material.

I know this album doesn;t agree with some people who loved the harmonies of the trials album, but i really like the moody, dark, more agressive feel to courage.

• Page

of 110 First / Last