App won't install and can't be deleted (iPad)

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Tonka 22 Mar 2012 07:28:34 19,840 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dear all,

My wife tried to install a Chinese kids app (something about a 3D frog) but for some reason it won't download. My guess is it was revealed as a scam app and removed from the App store.

The problem is that it's cued up for installment on our iPad and everytime I conenct to the Appstore it tells me that "That 3D frog thing can't be installed". To make matters worse I can't delete it from the iPas so this shit happens over and over again.

Do you guys have any tips? Experienced something similar?

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Fab4 22 Mar 2012 08:50:43 5,695 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What happens if you do a backup?
  • UncleLou Moderator 22 Mar 2012 08:54:19 35,172 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Did you turn the iPad off and booted it up again? Or if that fails, press the two buttons until the Apple logo appears.
  • kalel 22 Mar 2012 08:57:02 83,883 posts
    Seen 14 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Worst case scenario you could always put your ipad back to factory settings.
  • Tonka 22 Mar 2012 09:12:55 19,840 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've upgraded it to the latest iOS by means of physical hook up to my iMac and the shit is still there.

What happens if I reset to factory settings? What data will be lost?

And what does the "press the two buttons" thing do? Is that a reset or a reboot or what?

Edited by Tonka at 09:13:39 22-03-2012

• kalel 22 Mar 2012 09:15:02 83,883 posts
    Seen 14 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anything that can't be backed up to your iMac.
  • kalel 22 Mar 2012 09:15:28 83,883 posts
    Seen 14 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Two buttons is a reboot, but you won't lose anything.
  • Tonka 22 Mar 2012 10:02:41 19,840 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'll give the two button thing a twirl when I get home.
    I also need to learn the fucking iTunes back up thing. How Apple managed to design something that unintuitive is a mystery to me.

The two times I have updated iOS iTunes (is it? iTunes, how fucking retarded to use iTunes for device management) has told me that I will lose all Apps on the iPad, even those I have paid and that nothing can be done about that.

I get nervous sweats every time I have to deal with iTunes and the iPAd.

Guess it's a classic case of bloatware. In the beginning it made sense to use iTunes with the iPod. Then there were apps, then there were iPads etc.

Clusterfuck of mixed messages. Ten on the iPad there used to be an app called iPod. How silly wasn't that? Now it's called Music... wtf?

Music in tandem with videos deals with stuff bought on iTunes wich is the music app on the iMac...

Just set up a front called iStore and be done with it.

Rant over

• kalel 22 Mar 2012 10:07:09 83,883 posts
    Seen 14 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    ... has told me that I will lose all Apps on the iPad, even those I have paid and that nothing can be done about that.

I get nervous sweats every time I have to deal with iTunes and the iPAd.
    Um, stuff may get removed from your ipad, but if you've bought an app it's yours forever. You just put it on your ipad again.

Likewise everything you've bought and is in your itunes can be put on and off your ipad or ipod or iphone at your will. But yes, it's probably worth backing up your itunes once in a while, although now with icloud you can redownload everything you've bought.

Not sure you've really got a grasp of how your device works...
  • Tonka 22 Mar 2012 10:28:05 19,840 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Not sure you've really got a grasp of how your device works...
    Most definitely not. And Apple aren't helping. It's all a clusterfuck as soon as I plug it into iTunes. The preview screen on the mac look nothing like the real screen on the iPad. The bar showing how much storage is used and on what changes constantly. It tells me I will lose apps etc etc

It surprises me that I can't feel safe using it especially when I have set up databases, created websites and pretty advanced Flash games/applications/sites for over a decade.

iTunes is by far the messiest thing I've encountered (bar Sharepoint which really shouldn't be mentioned ever due to its immense upfuckedness)

Oopss, there I ranted again.

I should make a screencast of my "adventures" in iTunes. Would be a big hit with Apple haters all over the world I'm sure.

• THFourteen 22 Mar 2012 10:37:04 31,817 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    How are you holding it?
  • Tonka 22 Mar 2012 11:15:56 19,840 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The what?

• Tonka 22 Mar 2012 11:16:15 19,840 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oh now I get it. Nevermind...

• kalel 22 Mar 2012 11:30:51 83,883 posts
    Seen 14 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    After my ranting about icloud the other day, I do sympathise. Iíve had numerous issues with itunes as well, and donít get me started on the frustrations Iíve had with Apple TV.

That said, while the ipad and itunes connectivity can be quite clunky, it is reasonably foolproof, and I donít think you need to get too nervous about permanently losing anything.

Itunes in fact seems almost obsessed with creating as many copies of itself as possible on my PC, so that nothing can ever be lost.
  • Deleted user 22 March 2012 11:33:54
    What's you're issue with the ATV dude?
  • kalel 22 Mar 2012 11:35:24 83,883 posts
    Seen 14 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've found the movie rental side of it incredibly frustrating in many different ways.
  • Deleted user 22 March 2012 11:38:11
    Oh, can't help you there, only the wife has ever rented anything from the itunes store.
  • DaM 22 Mar 2012 11:51:50 12,612 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It surprises me that I can't feel safe using it especially when I have set up databases, created websites and pretty advanced Flash games/applications/sites for over a decade.
    This is exactly how I feel - I've managed to lose all my saved data before, just by ticking the wrong box on syncing. I want to change music on my iPhone, but just can't be arsed, I know it will take hours, will it will try and put every app I have ever purchased on.

My iPad/iPhone love is mirrored with iTunes hate. I'm frightened to go near it.

It's so unituitive.
  • Deleted user 22 March 2012 11:53:57
    Can't you use cloud backup? Not had any of my IOS devices touching iTunes for ages now, granted I'm on OSX so when I do it's pretty painless.

Probably doesn't help that iTunes default settings out of the box aren't particularly helpful either.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next